Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wouldnt be putting them in hot water....could stress them out and cause them to crack easier for sure.

Also wouldnt be using dish washing liquid because it has salt in it.

I also find that using copper creams is to harsh on your cymbals. And if u put them on Paiste they eat the protective coating off them that the Paiste cymbals have. For Paiste use there cymbal cleaner so you dont take off the protective clear coat and use normal cymbal cleaner. If your cymbals are old and green use copper cream.

But as i said copper creams take away alot of protective coatsing on cymbals.

Pasite put a special clear coat on there cymbal which stops them from getting dirty so use there cleaner.
    Click Here To See The Kit

Sonor 3005 Honey Maple, 10" 12" 16" 22" 14"

14" HHX Groove Hats
    21" HHX Groove Ride
    18" AAXplosion Crash
    18" AAX Dark Crash

Daniel Adair, Chad Smith, Sabain

Comment

Glenn -

Before you criticized my post, you may have wanted to make sure that you actually read it in its entirety. I *specifically* covered Paiste cymbals, saying that the methods to clean them when the coating is intact are different. In addition, I specifically said that a *mild* dish soap must be used to clean soaps so they're not too acidic or basic. As for the heat issue - you're completely wrong; you need to expose cymbals to a ridiculous amount of heat (something that normal running water is not capable of doing) to cause any sort of damage to the metal used. Numerous posts on this particular issue back me up on this one.

I would suggest that in the future, you read posts more carefully before you criticize them for things that were already covered, and that you do some background research before you make suggestions that have no basis in reality.

S

Comment

pwned.

and great thread!
        -Taylor

Comment

fair enough
          Click Here To See The Kit

Sonor 3005 Honey Maple, 10" 12" 16" 22" 14"

14" HHX Groove Hats
          21" HHX Groove Ride
          18" AAXplosion Crash
          18" AAX Dark Crash

Daniel Adair, Chad Smith, Sabain

Comment

Originally posted by BeachBum
            ill try this process but i was just wondering , i live close to the ocean and my cymbals rust very very fast what can i do to remove and prevent rust
            I've been there...kinda sucks if you like 'em shiny. The problem is the result of salts in the air, and there's not much you can do about it. Clean in accordance with the aforementioned guidelines then apply two thin coats of carnauba wax. The wax will add a little extra protection without build up. Use only pure carnauba wax. It's organic and safe for cymbals. Anything containing synthetics or polymers may not come off easily...if at all.

Comment

ok, so I used to have problems with keeping my cymbals clean. being a clean freak and lots of heavy gigging doesnt mix with me.
              So I set out to solve the problem.
              I found for really heavily soiled cymbals I would do a combination of multiple things, first, what I did to get the really bad "junk" off of the cymbal I would use PAISTE cymbal paste, which comes in a bright orange bottle and costs about 8 bucks.
              Depending on the size of the cymbal I would circle the cymbal anywhere from 3 to 5 times with a continuos line of the paste, and with a more coarse or rough rag, not like a fine buffing terry cloth, but more of an old dish towel, I would really work in the paste going in a straight line from bell to the end of the cymbal (not in circles) till it was an almost grainy dry chalky feel, or until the rag stopped sliding smoothly.
              Second, I would use bottled water, simply becuase there is no impureties that can leave water spots, and pour it over the cymbal, then take a clean cloth and dry the cymbal. once completly dry and after checking for any residue of the paste I would take and liberally put on a coating of sabian cymbal spray, aswell runs about 8 bucks, and let it sit for about 2 minutes making sure that the surface was not drying.
              After that I would immedietly rinse the cymbal with more bottled water and dry thoroughly, to finish it off I would "buff" the cymbal with a nice soft towel or terry rag.

I do this once a month just to keep the serious grime off of them, however before ever gig I use sabian cymbal spray and buff them out for that good clean feeling, I have been doing this steady for a couple of years now and have not noticed any adverse effects other then the logos finally wearing off. I believe the key is to just stay on top of this form of maintenence and then it takes practicly nothing to get them clean. Hope this helped, its never failed me and just my 2cents. -Joel

Neil Peart is god........

Helen?...you look like a Helen,... Helen let me tell you why I SUCK! - Tommy Boy :p

Comment

Great thread. We all struggle with our cymbals. I have owned Zildjians and Sabians and currently am playing Paistes. They look great until their protective coating comes off. Years ago I discovered a product called Saluda Cymbal Cleaner/ Preserver. It is no longer in production. It is a clear slightly oily product that quickly cleans Paistes and leaves them shinny. I've been searching for years for a similar product. I purchased almost every type of furniture and automotive cleaner available. I finally found a product that was of a similar viscosity to the Saluda that I liked so much. The product is baby oil. Simply put some on a paper towel or rag and wipe in a gentle circular motion. Then wipe all residue off with a clean cloth. Fingerprints disappear and the cymbal shines. I only reccommend this for Paistes with the protective coating still intact. Logos and the protective finish are unaffected by the baby oil.
                Drumming since 1961.
                Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
                Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
                Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

uhm one question please:

Into the bathroom you go. Turn on the hot water, wet your cymbals, put a couple of drops of dish-soap on a wet sponge, and clean away.

about that part.. will the logo come off? im asking to be sure

*ps yes im new to this sorry bear w/*
                  Technics SL-1200

Comment

Hi rio_mang,

I highly doubt the logos would come off with hot water. Using cleaners however, may take them off - the acid works by taking a small layer off the top of the cymbal, and the logos would be included.

Regards
                    S

Comment

hardcore, dude. very nice
                      Absolute Past

everything will not be made right

Absolute Future

Comment

my buddy told me he used windex to clean his cymbals. what's everyones thoughts on this?

Comment

From a different thread:

Originally posted by PYRRHO
                          If you use cast cymbals, like high-end Zildjians and Sabians, it goes like this:

For new, tarnish-free cymbals, a quick wipedown with alcohol or glass-cleaner after each use, plus a weekly bath using soap and hot water, will prevent a build-up of the oils and funk that cause the cymbals to tarnish(the greenish stuff).

After several months, the cymbals WILL begin to look dull - just from exposure to the air. Once this begins to happen, THEN you break-out the metal polish. This is your deep-cleaning, that will remove all of the tarnish. From there, you go back to the regular wipedowns and baths.
                          I just used 70% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol) on my 8" K splash, after reading this and thought it was okay. Then just now I read:

Originally posted by killer_deep
                          1. Rubbing alcohol *can* dull the finish on some cymbals; I've encountered this myself, also specifically with a Sabian cymbal (although it was a traditional finish). It may be a change in the way that Sabian finishes their cymbals, so try an area of the underside of your Sabian cymbal with rubbing alcohol before you go on and do the rest of your cymbal.
                          I looked again at my splash and I'm pretty sure it's dull... it was brilliant finish and looked quite glassy. Now when I look at it under light, at certain angles it has the same glassy shine while at other angles it appears dull.

I don't have pictures unfortunately but I'm wondering if the alcohol actually dulled the finish or if it's just because I've never used a real cleaner on it, just Windex and this one time isopropyl (PYRRHO says from exposure to the air).

I'm worried now, maybe someone can help? Should I buy Sabian Cymbal spray and go ahead and clean it?
                          My Drums (new pics Post 49) | My YouTube Videos
                          I call no one my Father who's no closer than a stranger.
                          Originally posted by fledgehog
                          LIFE IS LIKE a GIRLFRIEND NOBODY ON PDF HAS ONE

Comment

Hey metalhead,

Speaking from experience, I was unable to return my Sabian cymbal to its previous luster with straight up Sabian metal polish. Your experience may be different because of the brilliant nature of your cymbal, but if it doesn't work, you may want to try one of the deep cleaning methods.

S

Comment

What a disappointment...
                              I just tried soap and water on only three of my cymbals, and I got no results.
                              I was hoping to end up with some nice shiny cymbals, but I guess I'll have to go and spend the money on the official cleaners.

At least now my cymbals smell clean. :-\

Comment

Originally posted by killer_deep
                                Hey metalhead,

Speaking from experience, I was unable to return my Sabian cymbal to its previous luster with straight up Sabian metal polish. Your experience may be different because of the brilliant nature of your cymbal, but if it doesn't work, you may want to try one of the deep cleaning methods.

S
                                Alright, I'll pick up some Sabian Cymbal Spray when I go to L&M this week...

Your traditional finish Sabian... did you use a deep cleaning method on it? Is it still not shiny?
                                My Drums (new pics Post 49) | My YouTube Videos
                                I call no one my Father who's no closer than a stranger.
                                Originally posted by fledgehog
                                LIFE IS LIKE a GIRLFRIEND NOBODY ON PDF HAS ONE

Comment

Working...
                                X