PDA

View Full Version : Ludwig Black Beauty Snare

led1234
02-24-2003, 06:21 PM
Im thinking of Picking up a 5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty Snare Model number LB400B. The local music doesnt have this snare on hand so i cant test it out myself. I was wondering what they sound like and if its worth buying....

Thanks

dutchdrummer
02-25-2003, 02:59 AM
Hi led1234,

the Ludwig LB400B is not a Black Beauty. It's a brass shell with chrome plating. The Black beauty has a brass shell with black nickle plating.

I have a Black Beauty LB416 5"x14" for about four months now. It sounds great and it's pretty loud. I can tune it from fat and low to poppy high. I'm very pleased with it, and so is the rest of the band.

Only thing is the P85 strainer. On my snare I already had two of these strainers, and both of them failed after a few weeks. I had to pull the tightening knob up with two fingers to be able to move the lever. So now I replaced it with the more rigid P86 Millennium strainer. No problems anymore.

Also the standard batter head isn't all that good. I did one gig with it, and most of the coating came off at he centre. So now I have a Remo Ambassador on it, and that seems to last a lot longer.

All in all a very fine snare, though a bit expensive (at least here in holland).

Greetings.

led1234
02-25-2003, 12:19 PM
ok thanx