PDA

View Full Version : dw drums

satan1pie
02-22-2003, 07:00 PM
i can't find any website that sells dw collector series drums are they good sets does any one have pics?

ab
02-22-2003, 07:09 PM
My DW pics (http://community.webshots.com/user/ab1806)

dw has a policy where there drum prices can not be displayed online by there dealers. you usually have to call or email them for a quote.

and YES, they are good sets.

satan1pie
02-22-2003, 07:42 PM
that's nice how does it sound

ab
02-22-2003, 09:20 PM
i love the sound of my dw's. the resonance is perfect for me. the bass drum has unbelievable punch and really cuts through the mix. the toms have superb low end and clarity.

drummerboy223
02-22-2003, 11:16 PM
ab how about those cb`s wat do you use them for? how do they sound?

ab
02-23-2003, 12:13 AM
the cb's were my first kit and i played for more than 2 years. they are now sold.

the sound- ehhhhhh, lets just say i like the dw's better:D .

Fixxxer
02-23-2003, 09:29 AM
that a 20" bass?

ab
02-23-2003, 12:37 PM
the bass is a 16x22. its perfect for the music im playing right now.

exportman
02-23-2003, 02:03 PM
this is a retarded question but oh well, when someone says a tom has great low end sound what is that refering to? Is that talking about the lower toms sound is great or is it just talking about a certain point in the sustain when it sounds low or something? Thanks this has been bothering me for some time now so i had to ask.

satan1pie
02-23-2003, 04:45 PM
i want a dw soooooooooooo bad

meyost
02-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Use caution!

Don't get caught up in the DW hype, because that's all it is! HYPE...

Dollar for dollar, Pearl is the best buy in the industry, and they are made just as well, if not better. Pearl hardware (lugs etc.)is far superior than any others.

If you want to see overkill? look at the DW stands. Make sure your jock strap is in place before you lift those things!

If you want to dream about a DW set, do it at DW's web site, not at the pearl drum forum!

Pyrotechnic
02-25-2003, 01:38 PM
We should all keep SOME amount of open mindedness around here...;)

meyost
02-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Good point about being open minded.

I'm sorry, I should not get on the soap box like that.

I paid a visit to the DW factory in CA last year and I'm sorry, but
they make drums just like all the other high end set makers do.

Nothing special.

Think about this: Mr Good of DW probably makes 200.00 to 300.00 in his pocket every time he smacks a raw shell that HE thinks sounds "right" That's just his opinion!

Yes, they make nice stuff but do they have to be that much higher in price than Pearl Masters?

I saved amost 1800.00 on my seven pc. Master set!!

Tama has been making drums by compression for 25 years now.
Tama make beautiful drums in my opinion. I have a set of Tama Superstars (from the 80"s)

My sounding off is my way of trying to save fellow drummers a little money.
Oh well, enough
Again, I hope I did not offend anyone.

Thanks

ab
02-25-2003, 05:14 PM
who are you to say dw is "all hype" and "nothing special"??? if someone believes in a drum companies ideas and sound of their drums, then the price is probably justified if they believe it is the best set in their eyes(ears).

open your mind.

mr_matt_sorum
02-25-2003, 05:56 PM
hey ab...nice kit man....thats an awesome color...anyway, how many plies is that snare? how does that sound?

satan1pie
02-25-2003, 06:58 PM
i do like pearl alot but i've had sooooo amny problems with my drums and i brought it back to the deler and they said "sorry defective hard ware" so i'm looking at a dw collectors or tama performer for my next kit

satan1pie
02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
and you're right about nothing special about the dw's there really is no reason for the high prices and i think i am gonna go with the tama performer

ab
02-25-2003, 09:23 PM
mr_matt_sorum- thanks for your complements. the snare is a 6x12 8 ply Conaway Drums maple snare with tube lugs. when its unmuffled, it has a great ring to it. i just love the pop from this size drum.

satan1pie- go out and try a dw set and play around with it. i doubt you will be dissapointed.

fred
02-25-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by satan1pie
and you're right about nothing special about the dw's there really is no reason for the high prices and i think i am gonna go with the tama performer
Dont give up on a kit that had a flaw with it. Sounds like the dealer didnt want to do anything to help you out. I would have contacted Pearl about your problem and they would have done what they could to fix the it. Just like any other drum maker, they will do everything to keep you as a returning customer which builds loyalty. DW and Tama also make great drums but dont assume because you had a problem 1 time that you give up on them. I've never had a problem with Pearl's support team, they always went out of there way to take care of me but I also had a responsible dealer to work with to. Good luck in your search

mr_matt_sorum
02-25-2003, 10:26 PM
hes right.....if you have problems, ask them for the number for pearl, and call them directly, and they will take care of it. About a year ago, all 3 of my floor tom leg brackets started cracking all at the same time, so i called samash, because i bought my kit from them... and they were ********.... and i got the number for pearl, and i called, and they said i must have just have had a bad batch, and they hooked me up with new ones..... sometimes dealers are just kinda...stupid.....

meyost
02-26-2003, 06:47 AM
HEY AB

That response is typical from someone who plays Dw and spent the price of a very nice used car on a drumset

Thanks

ab
02-26-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by meyost
HEY AB

That response is typical from someone who plays Dw and spent the price of a very nice used car on a drumset

Thanks

oh my, that was real open-minded now wasn't it ???

:rolleyes:

and i bought my set on ebay for nearly 1/3 less.

Geoff9920
02-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ab

I've never had the privaledge to play a DW set for an extended period of time. But if the drums are of the same Quality as their hardware, they are definitely worth the money. I've never been disappointed with their equipment. :cool:

jeff

psx00
02-26-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by ab

Now, now, I'm all for open-mindedness and I do appreciate that DW makes quality drums, but you're comment came right after meyost "apologized" for his rant and, well, it didn't really look to great. Now can't you boys get along?

:D

Stevie C
02-27-2003, 01:11 AM
that i actually bought one of these dw f*****s, It was the most horrible nightmare I have ever had.

psx00
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Stevie C
that i actually bought one of these dw f*****s, It was the most horrible nightmare I have ever had.

You, sir, are a true idiot.

Man, I just can't believe how closed-minded some people are! Like we care that you had a nightmare about buying a top-quality kit, which you claim to be a "f*****" just because it's not your brand.

Drmerboy12
02-27-2003, 09:58 AM
hey pyro...where's my weed.

psx00
02-27-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Drmerboy12
hey pyro...where's my weed.

3 options:

1 - You're calling me a flamer and making an un-associated druggie comment

2 - You're a druggie who is owed some weed by a guy named "pyro"

3 - something completely different

If it's option 1, yeah, I came off as a bit harsh, but only in response to another similiar rude comment. Give me a good reason why he'd have tpo curse, even using "*"s. I don't think there's any.

stavis
02-27-2003, 10:55 AM
I don't mean to take sides here on the whole Pearl vs. DW thing, but when I was starting to look around for my new kit I asked the guy at a music store a couple of questions about DW and he said that I'd get more for my money from Pearl and that I shouldn't bother with a DW kit because there was quite a bit of "hype" there. So I ended up goin with Ayotte anyway, they had what I wanted. But I guess that'd be different in the U.S., things are a bit more pricey here.

psx00
02-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by stavis
I don't mean to take sides here on the whole Pearl vs. DW thing, but when I was starting to look around for my new kit I asked the guy at a music store a couple of questions about DW and he said that I'd get more for my money from Pearl and that I shouldn't bother with a DW kit because there was quite a bit of "hype" there. So I ended up goin with Ayotte anyway, they had what I wanted. But I guess that'd be different in the U.S., things are a bit more pricey here.

Hehe, that's really funny too. "Well, before I had a OCDP kit, then I looked at DW, was told Pearl was better, so I bought an Ayotte, and I've been a proud Tama player ever since, at least until I get my Yamahas."

:D

stavis
02-27-2003, 11:32 AM
Hahahahaha.......that's pretty funny.

ab
02-27-2003, 05:08 PM
sorry psx. i didn't mean to cause any trouble. his last comment just made me mad. im happy with my drums and i believe they are worth every penny.

thats all that matters.

LessisNevermore
02-27-2003, 06:42 PM
ab, I'm not trying to be inflamatory here, but I've asked a question to a few DW owners, and have never been dignified with as much as a response before.
What makes them "Collector's" series? Are they each one of a kind, or very limited numbers?, or is this just a marketing name? I have found zero info on this, and am very curious. They are very nice drums, but to me, the price tag is a bit suspect.:)

satan1pie
02-27-2003, 07:06 PM
about calling pearl, i went to the store where i bought my set and they said to call pearl too so i called pearl and they said it's the dealers responsibility and i went back to the dealer and they told me that there's nothing they can do.

Fixxxer
02-27-2003, 08:16 PM
hey dudes, whats all goin all with this DW bashidge, i bet you AB has a better set than all of us talkin here (Well, Lessisnevermore has an amazing kit too, so i guess his is par)

and how can you hate a drum company, do you have a set of them and did they rip you off? NO! Did you hear one of the kits, that was tuned well? NO! I guarentee you that DW drums sound amazing..........and i might even get one, if i ever get enough money

ab
02-27-2003, 09:44 PM
LessisNevermore- as far as i am aware, the "collector's series" name is just a marketing name, just as pearl uses "masters series". the sets are not limited editions or anything or the sort. but if i could, i would collect them.

btw, i love your kit! pearl was 2nd or 3rd on my list when buying a new set. i was even going to get the same colors you had.

Fixxxer- thanks for your complements, but having a "better" or "worse" set then somebody has nothing to do with it. to me, as long as your in drumming for the sheer love and fun of it, thats all that matters.

your day will come if you ever want a high-end set. just keep saving up. thats why i did, and trust me...... it was worth every drop of my sweat.

SLIPKNOT1
02-27-2003, 11:08 PM
I have owned 2 different DW kits in the past 12 years. They make beautiful kits. Very well made, great sound, GREAT hardware. My only complaints were the lugs and mounting system. I found the lugs to be ugly and the tom mounting system to be ugly, obtrusive and not as good as some of the other systems on the market.

But my complaints which were mainly cosmetic issues do not change the fact they are great drums, expensive, but by no means overpriced crap.

Givechase
02-28-2003, 04:27 AM
now there arent many pictures on here are there? just a load of people arguing about two great drum companies!

aenemic
02-28-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by ab
My DW pics (http://community.webshots.com/user/ab1806)

dw has a policy where there drum prices can not be displayed online by there dealers. you usually have to call or email them for a quote.

and YES, they are good sets.

dude, I love your kit, but to be honest... that rack really ruins the looks of it. it would look a lot better with a round-bars rack (Gibraltar or Tama), or better yet, not rack at all...

elmo
02-28-2003, 07:35 AM
nice kit AB!

i have spent countless hours playing behind dw kits. i've played them in large venues (seating over 2000 people) and even in smaller quieter venues (50 or so seating) and i've even done some studio work with a set. THEY SOUND GREAT! at first, cosmetically, it wasn't as appealing to me as other drum manufacturers but it grew on me. the sound is awesome regardless of how it looks.

In the end its really upto you which drum company YOU PREFER not which drum company is crap. that just shows how mature and how much you know about your instrument. For me, i chose a masterworks set because it was what I PREFERED...NOT because i felt the other company was made 'crapper'. they are all fine instruments with good and not-so-good points about them. think about it......

ab
02-28-2003, 05:33 PM
thank you all again for your kind words.

aenemic- i really apprecaite your opinion. however i actually think it looks better WITH the rack. pearl fit my needs for the rack and all my hardware, so i decided to go with them. different people have different tastes. also the convieniance of a rack over stands really made me go with rack.

elmo- i also find the dw's to be very versatile. masterworks are very nice drums also. what are the specs on your kit???

slipknot1- you come to the rescue again! thanks.

elmo
02-28-2003, 06:38 PM
ab,

here's my kit...
22x18 kick 10 ply (6 ply maple 4 ply mahog)
10 and 12 4 ply maple w/ rings
14 and 16 6 ply (4ply maple 2 ply mahog)
5.5x14 10 ply maple snare.
5x10 Gretsch snare.

also about a dozen cymbals- mixture of zildjians and 1 sabian and a piaste.

ab
02-28-2003, 06:40 PM
that kit sounds awesome!! what color is it??

elmo
02-28-2003, 11:20 PM
ab,
its lemon burst finish with gold hardware. i also have a BRX kit in natural finish... and a red fur kit too.

tucker8687
03-01-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by stavis

Any pics of your ayotte set?

lildrummerboyroy
07-11-2003, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by ab
im happy with my drums and i believe they are worth every penny.

exactly. also ur comment on paying 1/3 on ebay...ppl are always like i cant believe u got a dw, theyre overpriced, i got 4 toms, a bass, aand a yamaha snare for 2,600 which isnt as much as most ppl think they are and they are definantly worth the money. The quality of their drums is amazing, their bass drums are AMAZING! and the timbre matching thing is pretty cool when u tune it to the note that is stamped inside ur drum. I happen to love the look of their lugs and they are beautiful drums! Look at bbunks drumset the zebrawood in the rich red fade...their woods are really amazing! Thats just my opinion and experience though...

Geno121
07-11-2003, 10:03 AM
So, oh.....pics anyone?

drumstk36
07-11-2003, 11:32 AM
I have just realized something about the ____ vs. ____ "drum company" arguments...Lets compare each person's drum preference to your religous preference...each person's religous preference isn't questioned and bashed, such a thing in America and countires of the like is unquestionable. At the end of the day this compairson between choices is basicly the same. I'm a good, church going Christrian who meant this not in offence to anyone...just trying to make people realize that we shouldn't argue and try to make another person "give" on what the really like and want. If someone forced me to play a kit I am not fond of for whatever the reasons be I would not be happy....

Thanks for listening to the rant...remember...I love you all :D and now back to the topic...

griffix
07-11-2003, 05:47 PM
Thats a great set ab!!

Btw, your dogs kick *** :D

ab
07-11-2003, 06:59 PM
griffix- thanks for the props.

and yes, the dogs rock.

lildrummerboyroy
07-11-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Geno121
So, oh.....pics anyone?

I would post pics but i dont really know how but if u want them email me at [email protected] I would also have the specs in my signature but some ppl dont really like it but here are the specs:

My Drum Set:

Dw Collectors Series Satin Oil Ebony w/ black chrome hardware:

Toms:
1.8x10
2.9x12
3.11x14
4.13x16

Bass:
1.18x22

Snares:
1. 6.5 x13 Yamaha Musashi Oak
2. 3.5x13 pearl piccolo snare
3. Old sunlite, I put 4- 2.5in vents and re-covered it in leopard print material.

Cymbals (Left to Right):
1. 14' A Custom Fast Crash
2. 13' A Custom Hi Hats
3. 10' Paiste Signature Splash
4. 16' K Custom Fast Crash
5. 22' Zildjian A Ping Ride
6. 14' Zildjian Oriental China Trash
7. Lp Salsa Cowbell
*Aquarian Studio X Heads on top of toms Dw factory heads on bottom, Superkick II on Bass, Dw factory drum head on front*

*Hardware-. 9002 double bass.5000 Hi Hat stand,. 9000 snare stand and 9000 double tom stand. Gibraltar rack, Dw dogbones, and Gibraltar clamps.

Sticks- Ahead 5A and ProMark 747 Rock Japanese Oak drumsticks, Regal Tip Metal Brushes.

Miscellaneous: Rock N Sock Mac Saddle throne with backrest
Danmar stick holder
Shure Beta 52 Bass Mic
Two Dw Drums Keys
One Pearl Drum Key
Vic Firth Isolation Headphones (the ones that plug in)

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:00 PM
figured it out here are some pics:

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:03 PM
more

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:06 PM
more...

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:07 PM
above..

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:09 PM
pedals and snares...

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:14 PM
shallow toms and their mini-lugs...

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:14 PM
this is a kit owned by bbunks on the forums its a zebrawood exotic in an awesome rich red fade...

lildrummerboyroy
07-12-2003, 02:15 PM
the shell before it was laquered and finished