PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take u to get wicked with double bass?

arush
02-22-2003, 04:21 PM
hello my fellow double bass players, i just bought my eliminator double TODAY!! hell yeah, i'm so psyched, but i suck, the guy who showed me in the shop was amazing, and i wanna know how long it took u guys to get sick with the double bass...

and i know u can never stop getting better, so don't gimme that conservative "i'm not amazing crap"

Rich
02-22-2003, 07:02 PM
I never played a double pedal in my life until 2000 when I bought my Iron Cobras. I bought some instructional video's and practiced. Today I can do real well with them using them in and out of various songs using good taste that is. You see you can have too much of a good thing at times. So just practice as you would with your hands and they will come along just fine. Rich.

Rufio
02-22-2003, 08:26 PM
i mainly do fills on a double pedal. im not really into the whole playing streams of 16th notes for 2 minutes straight

corey
02-22-2003, 09:36 PM
dude, I got that cheap pacific double pedal about a month ago and I still suck. I can playfaster with one foot than two.

Rich
02-22-2003, 09:43 PM
You guy's will all get better at it if you just practice a bit slower with your feet and give it some time. I remember it feeling soo weird that a beater would hit the drum while using my left foot. How strange! But in time it became more and more natural and now its not a big deal. Give it some time, you can do it! Rich.

3leggedman
02-23-2003, 12:43 AM
I started out slow untill i could keep time and a steady rythm . Double bass is great as long you can keep time and a steady beat. Best way i learn is play 8 th notes with your left foot and play quarter notes with your right . seems akward but it pays off in the end . Start out slow , i mean so slow that you can not mess up and gradually work your speed up . allso learn to do a basic triplets and add it in with some accents , like cyl crash or 16 notes on your ride . good luck

rockdrummer00
02-23-2003, 01:49 AM
use stick weights on your beaters but don't use ankle weights for many reasons...

arush
02-23-2003, 07:39 AM
any advice to practice triplets? i mean do u accent every third beat with a harder hit? that would be hard

3leggedman
02-23-2003, 10:42 AM
Actually by using accent , you are hitting a crash on your down beat . down beat being the last kick on your db pedal. try adding a snare as well .

Linksys
02-23-2003, 11:56 AM
I bought a pacific double pedal about 3 months ago. I use it for fills and to accentuate crashes and just make neat little effects. Not really into the straight 16ths going for measures at a time.

Mark P
02-23-2003, 04:56 PM
I was a pro like Virgil Donati and Raymond Herrera from Fear Factory in an hour. LMAO

HONESTLY, there is no level when you should stop learning, or practicing.....there is always room for improvement.

practice, practice, practice......with a metronome of course

SLIPKNOT1
02-23-2003, 05:14 PM
I deveoloped most of DB skills about 5 years ago after lots of practice dedicated to that alone. The best thing i did to help it was leg exercises.

fred
02-23-2003, 05:43 PM
If you into exercise, I did alot of treadmilling and lightweight leg lifts. Other than that...lots of practice:) Enjoy

Ambion
02-24-2003, 09:06 PM
I practiced slow at first. A lot of kids i knew started by just spasming their legs, which sounded good but they had no control. I also did lift leg weights and got it up to being able to lift 250% of my body weight. Eventually I was able to get my pedaling very fast, but I still am not as good as i'd like. I can play fast and controlled if my hands are doing something, but strangely I'm unable to play as well when my hands aren't doing anything. I'm trying to practice the rudiments and other simple patterns on the double bass, and I hope that will build up some control.

dRuTcH
02-24-2003, 09:59 PM
If you have a spare pedal, put it under the desk of you computer and just play quater notes on it (with ur weak foot) that really strengthens up ur weak foot.

Also, move ur mouse onto you weak side, and clean ur car with ur weak hand and grab the mail with ur weak hand, and punch in on the calculator with your weak hand, do as much as you can with ur weak hand.

Rich
02-25-2003, 09:53 AM
Sounds like your doing all the right stuff. Keep it up as part of your everyday routien and you will be just fine. We will most likely never have hands like feet but we can get close. Rich.

xdrummer
02-25-2003, 12:22 PM
Ive been playing bouble bass for about two years now. I started out slow just playing easy beats until i was able to keep a steady beat throught an entire song. then i started using it in fills and making it the core of the beat. although im not a big 16th note through the entire song kind of guy. i mostly use it to to short rolls or to make the beat stand out more.

KCDrummer2003
02-25-2003, 06:27 PM
anyone wanna buy me a double bass pedal??? hahaha

phily05
03-01-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by dRuTcH
If you have a spare pedal, put it under the desk of you computer and just play quater notes on it (with ur weak foot) that really strengthens up ur weak foot.

And develops Carpal Tunnel ;)

pearl-drum-man
03-01-2003, 11:51 AM
In my formative years I grew up on SLayer and Dave Lombardo's drumming, so I was always trying to copy his licks. The fastest way to do it is with dedicated monotonous practice. Here's some specifics:

I HIGHLY recommend Joe Franco's book "Double Bass Drumming", it'll not only give you the chops for those extended 32nd note runs, but it will make you adept at playing some wicked PATTERNS! Another tip, USE A METRONOME! This will insure consistency and accuracy, and you can track your progress. Other little tricks you can do are things like using you weaker foot when practicing single bass grooves, etc. You can also do rudiments on the kicks, I always thought that was neat. Paradiddles sound really cool once you get them down.

I never used any of the weights, IMO they can be dangerous. If you're practicing properly you'll have no problems burning the hell outta your muscles without them.

Do these things and you'll have Virgil Donati running scared in no time :D

arush
03-02-2003, 07:12 AM
haha nice one

Jeff Wald
03-02-2003, 10:42 PM
arush,
pearl-drum-man is right. i've been playing it over 20 years now & that's how i started - slow, w/ a click, trying little things i'd heard & keeping my BALANCE!!!! that's a big key to it.
rod morgenstein also has/had a great little book on it called (amazingly enough) 'double bass drumming'.

one thing that i'll still do is set the click a little slower, play a continous double kick pattern & work on hands over the top, using 'stick control' or whatever book you use.

basically, most of the db grooves break down to either constant 16th's, triplets, the double bass shuffle or bits of that w/in a groove. (4 16th's only on beat 1 to start it...). you can decide on what foot to lead w/, go what's comfortable for you. personally, i lead everything BUT the shuffle w/ my right foot. for some reason i like to lead the shuffle w/ the left.

same w/ fills. the morgenstein books has great fill ideas as well.
and of course, listen to your favorites & try & figure out what they're doing.

i'm not quite sure what you meant by accenting the 3rd note of a triplet but what i've done for years is play this for db triplet fills:
H R L H R L (either hand - right - left)

i haven't listened to everybody & others can tell you some great players to check out as well but personally i'm partial to steve smith on journey 'captured', & tony macalpines 'edge of insanity', neil peart on 'exit stage left', vinnie colaiuta on anything (he's NUTS!) & simon phillips on jeff beck's 'there & back' - space boogie - whoo hoo!
but again, there's tons of stuff out there.

once you get it comfortable, its fun doing a big fast fill around the toms using your hands & feet. it's just a blast for me.

arush
03-03-2003, 03:37 AM
hmm..seems like my pitchshifter ticket money is gonna have to go towards a book.

i don't believe writing can help me do something physical, i might wanna get a dvd or something.

Jeff Wald
03-03-2003, 09:09 AM
steve smith's video from 1988/89 - part 2 goes into double bass if i remember correctly. great stuff. he plays alot of it on his new dvd but i don't think he explains much on licks & such - just plays.
anyone else have any video/dvd suggestions?

slayerfreak069
03-03-2003, 10:01 AM
Awesome. Another Lombardo fan!!!! I try to mimmick his licks but its tough. I excercise my legs and dedicate lots of practice time to getting my legs coordinated and faster.

Rich
03-03-2003, 11:42 AM
I have a Vedio called Double Bass Drumming with Morganstein, Phillips,Franco and Bozzio. Its a good one! Rich.

mikeym
03-03-2003, 06:37 PM
leg exercises help guys... they do... i'm a biker and i picked up some wicked patterns the first night... maybe i just have exceptional cordination but it came pretty easy to me... i still need a lot of work, but listen to Dream Theater with Mike Portnoy or Planet X... those bands will help with ideas... ~mikeym

JPD
03-04-2003, 03:28 AM
Practice is the key. The more you play the better you get. Frustration always comes with trying something new. It's part of learning. Just sticking with it will make you better. I've been using a double pedal for over 12 years and I STILL get frustrated. But it makes me want to do it even more and try to get that right pattern or fill down.

TonyTheDude
03-06-2003, 12:59 PM
its about building stamina aswell, im ok at triplets etc etc, but i cant last more than about 20 secs going all out doing constant 16th's

my time will cometh

doomonyou
03-06-2003, 03:39 PM
Joe Franco's is great! I learned to play DB from his book years ago. Check out the Double Bass Encyclopedia from Booby Rondinelli and Micheal Lauren. Great book, its the one I am working from now.

TLD
03-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Don't neglect Bobby Rondinelli's Encyclopedia of Double Bass. If you practice out that book for two hours a night, you'll be able to play anything but excessive speed rolls and double strokes. But seriously, that book teaches how TO CONTROL your feet. For the first time in my drumming life, my legs are starting to feel under my complete and total control. If I want to do a sort of flam before a snare beat, instead of just spasming and getting in as many strokes as I can before the snare hit, I can consciously play waht I want. Now when I want to play a digguh-DAT thing, I can chose between two, three, and four strokes with ease, AND with great articulation. Syncopated patterns have become fun challenges instead of frustrating things that get neglected. TRIPLET practice helps a lot. Syncopated sixtuplets really get you going with speed and accuracy.

Overall the book is just great. It's starts out slow, but it really gets really cool towards the middle to the end.:D

tips
03-08-2003, 08:28 AM
I got my iron cobra DB a few months ago and it rules! once you get used to it it sounds awesome. i use my right pedal with the normal quarter notes and my left with the eighth notes- the way to go! while playing normal hihat snare stuff try your left foot with toes on hihat and heel on bass its pretty awesome but takes getting use to. try out some fills! :D

Jay T
03-11-2003, 05:55 AM
I got mine about a mounth ago, after a HARD start im getting there, i try to play them every day, i can get 16th's but after about 20sec's they sound like flams :D

Ridetotheflipside
03-06-2005, 03:46 AM
Well i started playing double bass about six months ago on some cheap thing that came with an export kit i bought, best thing i did was buy a pair of iron cobras this christmas, im getting fairly good at double bass now and can play along to the majority of metal songs without any problems, also im getting into creating big fills using double bass patterns, as well as solos with the double bass playing throughout. All i've really done is practice and watch a few videos. i guess it helps that im a semi pro skiier and ex pro cyclist as well so my legs are kind of built.

Peace and good drumming to all

Tom

jammyh11
03-06-2005, 05:17 AM
I have my good days when i can keep a constant in-time beat goin, but then i have my bad days when i can barely do anythin :D but ye, practise practise practise. Its also hard for my cos my left pedal spring broke, so i had to jam it into place so the springs each have different tensions, so it doesn't feel too good, hopin to get some better pedals some time tho.

Thrush
03-06-2005, 05:50 AM
One really important thing to remember is : don't stop.

I've been playing with two kick drums for best part of 10yrs, am entirely self taught (grew up on Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, etc, so just taught myself to do what they do) and I got pretty good (if I do say so myself). The band I was in went in the black/death metal direction so I taught myself to play like those guys.

Trouble was tho, I stopped playing for quite a while in the late 90's/early 2000's and when I picked up again, I couldn't do what it was I used to do! I still can't do 100% what I used to do - I used to be a lot faster and more precise. My presicion is nearly all back now, but nowhere near the speed. I'm not saying I was super mega fast - I could never do what the cream of the black metal guys could (like Hellhammer and Trym) but for example, I used to find Metallica's "Dyers Eve" (16th notes @ over 240bpm solid) prety easy andplay it pretty much note perfect - now I am nearly there again, but I can't do it anymore. When I picked up sticks again I could get nowhere near it! I haven't got the stamina in my legs anymore (I play heel up and use all of my legs to play) andI haven't got the speed......

So my advice is once you start - don't stop

Danuk
03-06-2005, 05:55 AM
I deveoloped most of DB skills about 5 years ago after lots of practice dedicated to that alone. The best thing i did to help it was leg exercises.

What forms of exercise worked best? I ride mountain bikes about 40 miles a week and it doesn't seem to help..

Stratman
03-23-2005, 12:10 PM
dude I'll let u on a cool exercise i use.Simply use ur left foot when playing beats.dont use ur right.just keep playing single beats with ur left.start with a good tempo then when you've got the hang of it increase the tempo and change it up a bit change the beats and before u know it ur left will be as good as ur right.

Stratman
03-23-2005, 12:11 PM
try playing along to songs in ur band or even to a cd with ur left foot hitting the bass drum as oppossed to the right

PearlMWPlayer
03-23-2005, 12:21 PM
I had the two bass drum deal back in the mid 80's. These days my playing doesn't call for too many double bass grooves so I use my Iron Cobra DP more for fills.
It takes time to get it feeling right. Start out slow and increase speed and you'll be playing Fast As A Shark by ACCEPT before you know it.

TempesT68
03-23-2005, 09:37 PM
try playing along to songs in ur band or even to a cd with ur left foot hitting the bass drum as oppossed to the right

this works great for getting your left foot up to par, i started playing double bass shortly after i started so that helped alot but dont feel the need to learn it unless your going to be playing tons of metal

DeadJotun
03-23-2005, 10:41 PM
What forms of exercise worked best? I ride mountain bikes about 40 miles a week and it doesn't seem to help..
Well I personally just job a few miles a week, plus a do some weight lifting for my entire body. I find I have a tad more stanima now that im two months into my weight lifting.

mtgarrett
03-24-2005, 02:05 PM
but for example, I used to find Metallica's "Dyers Eve" (16th notes @ over 240bpm solid) prety easy andplay it pretty much note perfect

Yo Thrush..not to be a nitpicky bastard, but Dyer's Eve is nowhere near 240BPM. It's right around 190BPM or so...
Anyway, kudos to you for being able to play it - you're one up on Lars :D - it's a great song, and tough to play it tight and clean.

andyman1970
03-29-2005, 08:37 PM
There's some low hanging fruit here:

- Practice with a metronome; not only will it help you build speed, but it should get you closer to that God-like meter that we all want to have
- Practice with recent issues of Modern Drummer - Rod Morgenstein is doing a 6-part series on double bass, with some focus on odd patterns. Playing fast on a straight beat is very different than mixing a fast double bass tempo with accents on the E, &, and A's
- Rod also authored an excellent book called Drum Set Warmups:

http://www.rodmorgenstein.com/drumset_warmup.html

This is an excellent way to loosen up, build up your four-way independence, and also provides some different approaches to more standard fills.

If you can master the above, nobody will care how fast you can play with your feet....

SonorKen
03-29-2005, 09:06 PM
^^^^^^^ Take every word of Andymans post to heart. The thing people need to realize is good solid double bass playing isnt about speed. Being dynamic, solid, and having the ability to play complex patterns with your feet is where its at.

To answer the question, when I decided to take my double bass playing seriously, it took me about 6 months to get to where I felt REALLY comfortable with it. BUT, I worked really hard at it. I worked through multiple books, spent alot of time playing with a metronome, and spent time mimicing my hands and feet. And, I still do this to this day. You can't learn this and not keep it up, its a skill you have to keep honed.

Decap1tator
03-30-2005, 03:49 AM
any advice to practice triplets? i mean do u accent every third beat with a harder hit? that would be hardi started out with accenting a bit on the first beat in a triplet(actually, you just "feel" the accent, it's pretty hard to actually do accent at 200 bpm with a loose head :)

i did the same thing with my triplets on my hands, started out with accenting, it had alot more natural feel. Then, you gradually remove the accents(since of course, you have to be able to play triplets without accents too ;) )

Unlastinglove.
03-30-2005, 03:53 AM
I'll never be awasome at Double Bass, Im useless at it

BlackLab
03-30-2005, 04:07 AM
and you never will with that attitude. :p

Neither will I.

Myvanpounds
03-30-2005, 04:28 AM
Yo Thrush..not to be a nitpicky bastard, but Dyer's Eve is nowhere near 240BPM. It's right around 190BPM or so...
Anyway, kudos to you for being able to play it - you're one up on Lars :D - it's a great song, and tough to play it tight and clean.

194 to be exact

Xplora
03-30-2005, 09:49 AM
Being awesome double bass is a very subjective thing. I've only been able to play "awesome" in the past month or so... and awesome to me is being able to replicate rhythms that I could play on Guitar. I have been able to play stuff like Meshuggah and Fear Factory for a LONG time on guitar... so the bar is extremely high. :) But I can do that now.

militantmandy
03-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Well, i've never eally practised it that intensively. It's taken me around a year to be comfortable and steady at a reasonably high speed. I found I was stuck for ages and then I tweaked a few things and got a new pair of shoes and varisou other things and finally, it started to come for me. Just keep at it, i'm sure if you practised hard, that you could develop pretty quickly.

Stratman
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
just work on fast singles with ur right then work on the singles with ur left.after all ur only as fast as ur weaker foot. just like tom rolls ur only as fast as ur weaker hand.