PDA

View Full Version : Defiantly not impressed with eliminator pedal wobble

Eliminator
02-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Címon Pearl itís 2003 and your pedalís floorboards still shimmy left to right. Put some ball bearings in the hinges or something.I was going to purchase two eliminator singles (chain), but wasnít impressed with the pedal footboard wobble when I tried them out at my drum shop. In the end I purchased two iron cobra power glides. Tama has really done a great job with this pedal and all of its features. I find the pearl pedal is full of useless adjustments. Who out there changes their beater and cam preferences once their set?? Itís cool and all, but who cares.

eliminator

Bruce_RMC
02-21-2003, 12:06 AM
HEy there! Just for some confirmation of Elimator's findings. I was actually there when he was suppose to buy 2 pearl Elimator pedals. We tested out both The Eliminator, and the new Iron Cobra's, and both agreed (as well as the guys who worked in the drum shop) that the Iron Cobra was much better, and more practicle then the Eliminator. That wobble in the pedal shouldn't be!! How long has pearl been making pedals.....you would think that by now they would have got rid of that annoying wobbling! Tama did it, so why can't pearl. I'll give the Eliminator some credit though. All the adjustments that you can do are very impressive, however....practicle????? I really don't think so. As far as I'm concerned, once a drummer finds his or her preferences, they're gonnna keep them. Now all those cams, etc are useless. So....if anyone here is thinking about buying the Eliminator, I would seriously check out the Iron Cobra before you do anything stupid. Not to sounds unfaithful to pearl, but the Iron Cobra is so much better! That's my 2 cents. Any comments, feel free to tell me...I'm all ears!

PS: this place we were at buying the pedals, is one of the biggest drum shops in canada, and they sell the Iron Cobra's 10 to 1 against the Eliminator. If anyone wants to know where I'm talking about, just ask.

MPCman
02-21-2003, 02:42 AM
I've got a Pearl Eliminator twin pedal, and all I can say is; what wobble?

Probably the pedal was not adjusted the right way.

iscarrr
02-21-2003, 02:53 AM
hehe guess whos buying a powerglide tomorrow :)

and the above 2 posts are why im buying one over any other pedal.

rockdrummer00
02-21-2003, 03:01 AM
the iron cobra powerglide are my favorite pedals and the most adjustable and durable pedal I've ever seen(except axis pedals)but the only other pedals I would buy would be axis,end of story I would not use any other pedal unless my life depended on it(and I would still be mad if I had to use another pedal at a gig or something)no,I'm not picky,but I like to use pedals I can trust to be smooth,fast and durable...

Eliminator
02-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I'm not trying to influence anyone into not buying an eliminator, I'm just saying to try out other pedals as well. I actually felt kinda wierd not staying true to Pearl. All in all, I just felt that the tama pedal was a better buy. It was even a few bucks cheaper.

eliminator

SLIPKNOT1
02-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by MPCman
I've got a Pearl Eliminator twin pedal, and all I can say is; what wobble?

Probably the pedal was not adjusted the right way.

Side to side play in pedal is not something that can be adjusted. It is caused by a gap in the Pedal Board hinge. No Pedal board angle or beater adjustment will eliminate it.

mR.dnA
02-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
Side to side play in pedal is not something that can be adjusted. It is caused by a gap in the Pedal Board hinge. No Pedal board angle or beater adjustment will eliminate it.

Ugh, tell me about it... my 2 main pedals are an old Premier and and old Remo and they both wobble. I've done all kinds of wacky stuff trying to get the hinges to tighten up and it just doesn't happen.

Well, okay, one thing I haven't tried is REPLACING the hinges but that's cause I'd rather just wait and get a good set of doubles ;)

SLIPKNOT1
02-21-2003, 01:45 PM
Actually, if you really were handy and wanted a project, you could dissasemble the pedal board hinge and install small brass shims to take up any slack. Probably not worth the effort though.

Smoke N Drums
02-21-2003, 01:56 PM
I've a Mapex Pedal I use to play a cowbell. It wobbles so bad, I can't use it on a Bass Drum for a gig. I tried to put in nylon washers to shim up the gap. I couldn't get them in the correct size (stainless washers also). I DID find LOCKWASHERS in the correct size LOL.

HEY AUSSIES,

What is a "wobble board?"

And just who the hell is Slim Dusty?

mR.dnA
02-21-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
Actually, if you really were handy and wanted a project, you could dissasemble the pedal board hinge and install small brass shims to take up any slack. Probably not worth the effort though.

Yeah, I've sleeved stuff like that before on carburetors (my 'repairs' up to now on them have been things like crimping the ends and stuff) - but then I might feel like I would have less of a reason to be shopping for those new doubles ;)

Bostic
02-21-2003, 02:10 PM
The Eliminators that I have tried in local stores didn't have excessive play in the heel hinge. My old camco pedals don't have a floor plate and the hinge is probably the original design from the late 70's but I can still make them fly.

jipps
02-21-2003, 02:31 PM
When I was in Guitar Center the other day I was waiting for the guy to ring me up so I decided I'd go play with things. I played with the pedals, and I think the bset out of all of them are the Axis pedals. So smooth and just really really nice. I wish I had bought them rather than the Iron Cobras.

mR.dnA
02-21-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by jipps
I think the bset out of all of them are the Axis pedals. So smooth and just really really nice.

That's what everyone says (I've not played Axis myself) but aren't they WAY more expensive?

Then again, if you're only buying it once it's worth it IMHO.

SLIPKNOT1
02-21-2003, 06:41 PM
I have tried Axis pedals a few times now and even played with the adjustments on them and they were terrible. They felt very different then the IC's. Alot less smooth. I also dont like Axis's track record as far as durability and the fact they are not sold at every drum shop thereby lowering the chance of finding parts in a hurry. Just my opinion.

Rafiki8821
02-21-2003, 07:45 PM
MY eliminator double pedal doesn't wobble at all. Maybe that pedal was just abused a lot(it was a demo pedal). As for all the options, I'm too lazy to use them. Some day I hope to play with the pedal and fool around with the adjustments, but whenever I'm near my drumset, I just want to play it.

BRIG6366
02-21-2003, 08:35 PM
The Eliminator does have more movement in the hinge area than the IC or top end DW. I don't consider the movement in the hinge area to be excessive, but there is movement. That being said, I cracked the no play hinge on my DW and my Pearl Power Shifter, with a hinge similar to the Eliminator, is still going strong.

There is more to a pedal than movement in the hinge area.

the iron cobra powerglide are my favorite pedals and the most adjustable and durable pedal I've ever seen(except axis pedals)but the only other pedals I would buy would be axis,end of story I would not use any other pedal unless my life depended on it

Agree with SLIPKNOT1 on the Axis Pedals. Completely different from the IC.

Who out there changes their beater and cam preferences once their set??

I set my Quad Beaters to one of the hard Plastic Sides and have not touched them since. If you don't want the felt beater standard on the IC's, you will have to purchase other beaters. No big deal, but the Quad Beater (or duel DW beater) is a good option.

As for the cams, it's about options and finding the setting that feels right for you and sticking with it. The IC has different adjustments which in part eliminate the need for the cams. It's a different way of accomplishing the same thing: infinite adjustment options.

That's why they make Fords and Chevys.

iscarrr
02-22-2003, 04:13 AM
Today i was in a drum shop and i bent down and physically grapped the footboard of an elim and tried to move it side to side, and yes it did a little. I did the same with and IC and honestly it wouldnt budge. Guess who got a double power glide today hehehe... **** its good :)

craig
02-22-2003, 11:15 AM
Eliminator,
just out of curiosity...is your name in reference to the pedal eliminator?
Not that it matters...but I was just wondering...
Cause it would be kinda ironic....

-Craig

Eliminator
02-22-2003, 01:32 PM
I figured someone would bring this up. When I joined the forum last year, I was intending on getting a pearl eliminator HH stand and two eliminator singles. But things changed and I ender up getting a rack. Instead of changing my name just because I didn't have eliminator pedals was useless, so I kept the name. Up until last week I was going to get the eliminators, but I change my mind frequently and Tama was my final decision. Mabey if my name was something like exportdude and I purchased a Masterworks I'd consider changing a user name. My opinion is that the name eliminator can be used just not in refrence to pearl's pedals, but to something else. I'm still searching for that something else.

anyways, the name is gonna stay

eliminator

Rich
02-22-2003, 10:06 PM
When I bought my MHX kit in 2000 I knew I wanted the best pedal available. I also wanted to start playing a double pedal. I shopped around and the Iron Cobra was the best as far as I could tell. The workmanship, durability, all the various adjustments, etc could not be beat. I believe that all the newer pedals today are copying the Cobra with the adjustments and overall design. I dont know if the eliminator lets you adjust the beater angle itself but I really like that feature on the Cobra along with being able to add some top weight it needed by sliding the small ring up or down the beater shaft. Its cool stuff!
Rich.
:cool:

berriman
02-23-2003, 01:30 PM
I played a Iron Cobra Power Gluide for 6 months and thought it was the best thing in the world - my only concern was that it wasnt very subtle - which is great if your banging out rock/metal every day.

I'm now using an elimintaor single pedal which is great in any enviroment...

I would agree though that all these extra cams are a waste of time, I have six sitting in my hardware case now (3 from pedal & 3 from hat stand) - all of which are completely useless....

What do you do if for some freak of nature the cam your using breaks? you cant just replace it with one of your spares cause its a completely different feel...

berriman
02-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Any why is it just like women?

Its all about taste, I tink my Mrs is a stunner, but me mates think she's a big!

AndyG
02-23-2003, 04:47 PM
what do you guys think of DW pedals?

cuz i'm considering the new 9000 pedals when they come out

SLIPKNOT1
02-23-2003, 05:18 PM
DW has some nice pedals, the 9000 Titaniums were incredible, but expensive, the new NON Titaniums will be much less, but still about $200.00 for a single. There durability is my issue with them. I have seen issues with the screws stripping and beater clamps cracking. I found alot of people had similar probelms when searching other drum forums.

rockdrummer00
02-23-2003, 05:39 PM
I own the DW 9002 double pedal(titaniam) and it is amazine but I'm selling it(I think)cause I like the iron cobra more,what do you guys think?which is better?