PDA

View Full Version : replacing my ZBTs any suggestions

blinkfan141
02-19-2003, 08:36 PM
Hey, I'm finally getting rid of the ZBTs, and so I want to know what I should replace them with. I don't want them to sound the same as my ZBTs, I want them to sound good.

ZBTs- 20" ride
16" crash
14" hats, top and bottom
keepers-
18" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
18" Sabian AA Rock Crash
18" Sabian AA China
12" Wuhan China
12" Wuhan Splash
10" Wuhan Splash

I wanna ditch the hihat top first. then the crash, then the bottom, then the ride. Thanks for the help, i'm flat broke so I need to do this in this order, so thx.

emopunker
02-19-2003, 09:54 PM
You already have an AA Rock Crash, so to be consistent, get the AA Rock Hi-Hats next, then get an AA Medium Crash, and finally, get the AA Rock Ride. It shouldn't be too expensive.

blinkfan141
02-19-2003, 10:16 PM
Thx dude.

crotchrocket2242
02-19-2003, 10:26 PM
rather than the sabian aa rock ride, i would get a 21" carmen appice sig ride. if you look hard enough, you can get one for around $135.

//sambo

Ambion
02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by blinkfan141
Hey, I'm finally getting rid of the ZBTs, and so I want to know what I should replace them with. I don't want them to sound the same as my ZBTs, I want them to sound good.

ZBTs- 20" ride
16" crash
14" hats, top and bottom
keepers-
18" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
18" Sabian AA Rock Crash
18" Sabian AA China
12" Wuhan China
12" Wuhan Splash
10" Wuhan Splash

I wanna ditch the hihat top first. then the crash, then the bottom, then the ride. Thanks for the help, i'm flat broke so I need to do this in this order, so thx.

I would replace the hi hats with Paiste 2002 or signature sound edge hi hats, or 2002 14" medium hi hats. Then I would get a Paistesignature 17" full crash. Then I would get either a 2002 20-22" ride, a signature 20" dry crisp ride, or a dimensions 20" medium ride. Wuhan and Paiste are great with eachother, and the sabians will sound fine with the 2002's, they're similar.

Beattimyer
02-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Let me ask if you like the Wuhans, i notice that you have some Wuhan splashes and a china. Wuhan makes a better cymbal than ZBT, if you like them they are worth a look. Good for drummers on budgets.

Aside from that, you really should go to shops, and take your ZBT bottoms, and test them out with hi-hat tops(i don't know you wanna buy the top hat and bottom hat separately, but i'll give you advice based on what you want. Me personally i would get the hats and ride upgraded first, when you think about it, you play them the most.), see which top sounds best with your ZBT bottom, and get that. Next bring your crashes in and find a crash that has a pleasant varience between the 2 that you currently own, perhaps a smaller crash 16" or so, or perhaps a larger but thinner and darker 19" crash for a deeper crash sound not quite as high pitched. Just experiment with different crashes in different shops, you will come across one that you like within your set-up, more than likely 2 or 3 so you will have to choose what sound in a crash you are looking for with your current crashes. Then take your new top hat in when you have the cash and play it with different bottoms in the shops. Then go into the shops and play around till you find a ride you like, typically you would want to bring at least your hi-hats when testing you ride out, so you have a nice idea of how the 2 most important pieces in your set-up interact with each other. If possible bring in your entire set-up to match cymbals with them.

We can sit here and make specific cymbal reccomendations till we are blue in the face, but what it all comes down to is finding what you like. We already know what we like, but you aren't us, so its important to find your own voice.

blinkfan141
02-20-2003, 06:02 PM
I've looked at Wuhan crashes before and I definetly didnt like them as muchas the splashes or chinas, so those are pretty much out of the question. My Paiste 2002 is a deep as I wanna go, I'm probably gonna go with a smaller crash, I tried out the AA 16" Rock, Thin, Med Thin, and Medium, and I like the way the Med Thin Sounds with my other two. I tried the AA hihats and I like the 13" hats. I'm still thinking about the Rides.
The reason I went in this order is because my hihats keep sounding worse and worse to me, I use my ZBT as my main crash since it's thin enough to hit really quickly, and the ride isnt too bad. THx for the suggestions.