PDA

View Full Version : wats up, i need help on tom arms

sk8drummer
02-17-2003, 08:33 PM
yo wats up every1, u may or may not no, but i have a forum. now i have considered for a long time about ISS mounts. get or not to get. now i decided for a long time not to get cuz it would be a ***** to have to get new tom arms cuz of the ISS. but i just had a brainstorm y not just cut my TH-70 arms and put something in the hole at the end of the arm. now wat im not sure of is how much to cut it, can any1 give me this info. and wat should i cut it with and wat can i fill the holes up with. can the BB-70 tom brackets (ones on the forum) work with ISS. it would also be a ***** to have to buy the other brackets. i would like to just have to have to buy the ISS mounts. can any1 give me any info. and if me ideas are not possible can u give me a suggestion on how to save money and still get the ISS mounts.

sk8drummer
02-18-2003, 01:19 PM
hey, wen i said BB-70 i meant BT-70 cuz im talkin bout the ones on the tom not the bass drum.

mikeym
02-18-2003, 10:57 PM
if you know a friend who has a pearl set with i.s.s ask to borrow his toms... and then cut ur arms... and look on ebay for i.s.s mounts, you can also buy a cheap version of these by different generic companies... but they aren't that expensive from pearl... but if you already have holes in your tom from the old mounts it would probably be pointless to buy i.s.s... it won't help the sound any... you could get a guy at a wood shop to cut you a piece of wood that would fit in the hole exactly... never tried it... only a suggestion... ~mikeym

sk8drummer
02-19-2003, 11:00 AM
hey dude, thanx, the holes arent wat make the sound better or worse. its the bracket on the tom that doesnt let it resonate as much.

prat
02-19-2003, 11:07 PM
You *don't* have to buy new tom arms. I just recently upgraded from old (pre-ISS) MX toms to new MHX toms with Optimount, and my old tom arms work fine. You just gotta be careful when you first put them on and lock-down your memory locks so your roadies don't scratch your finish when they put the toms on the arms! :-)

Also, Pearl sells something called a GK-90: "The GK-90 masks the holes (inside and out) on drums where the BT-3 tom bracket has been removed."

I've been thinking about upgrading my old toms too. :-)

-Rob

craig
02-20-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm not positiv but I believe I once heard that those covers that go over the hole are purely for cosmetical reasons...don't quote me on that...but you may want to check up on that before you start spending extra money...

-Craig