PDA

View Full Version : cutting the DR503

dutchdrummer
02-17-2003, 07:24 AM
Hi guys,

I have an Icon DR503 rack. On the left horizontal bar two CH88 cymbal holders are mounted, one on each side of the hihat stand. To the left of the left vertical bar I have my monitor, standing on a tom case. Because of the length of the horizontal bar the monitor is too far to the left. I want to reduce the length of this bar by some 30 cm. so I can put the monitor in a better position for me (more to my front left instead of to my back left).

Is it possible to make the square horizontal bars shorter? How can I do this in a proper way? Can I remove the 'vertical bar clamp piece' in a simple way? And what size is the locking screw for the clamp piece?

Help!!!

Greetings.

weps
02-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Wish I could tell you how but I haven't checked them out up close. I have seen a custom shortened Icon for sale on ebay before so I know it's reasonably possible.

BUT before you break out the hacksaw,

Have you considered picking up a guitar amp stand to place your monitor on?

There are different versions and the basic squared tubing type works well. Our lead guitarist has 2 of them that he really just uses for FX rack stands. So I've used one for my monitor a few times.

That way the leg interference prob can be fixed (likely the main concern). Having the monitor closer to your ears allows you to use less monitor volume which helps out the overall stage and PA sound.

weps

dutchdrummer
02-18-2003, 02:42 AM
Hi Weps,

I don't think a guitar amp stand will work. I've attached a picture of my set so I hope it's a bit more clear what the problem is.

On the left you see the vertical bar. Next to that on the left you see a bit of the drum case (with the ash tray on it, normally placed against the left vertical bar) on which I usually place the monitor. But I want it to be more to the right!! To the right of the vertical bar (between the bar and the hihat) is no option IMO, because the monitor would stand too low. So I'd have to place it between the bar and the throne, but that space ain't big enough.

I know there are additional bars for the DR503 rack, but they're too short for me. So I guess there's no other option than to take the hacksaw...

Greetings.

Gherkin
08-19-2005, 03:34 AM
*revives OLD OLD OLD thread*

I'm thinking of cutting down the horizontal bar on my ICON. The only trouble is that the end clamps REFUSE to come out. They each have a screw, which I've unscrewed, but they're still solidly stuck. Has anyone succesfully shorted an ICON rack?