PDA

View Full Version : Findint the Sweet Spot

M.A.P.D. drummer
02-16-2003, 10:26 PM
ok....i have heard a lot about this........how do i find the sweet spot what dose this meen......i have BRX if that helps

JimmyFenno
02-17-2003, 12:05 AM
On western drums it's the center of your drum or slightly off center (assuming you have the drum tuned optimally!) It's the spot where you get the most response from your drum from a resonance and tone standpoint.

Your bass drum's sweet spot is generally dead center so make sure your beater is striking it there, raise or lower it as needed.

When you side stick on the snare rim, you'll find the woodiest tone on the sweet spot of the stick right over one of your lug casings.

If you spend enough time with any drum or percussion instrument/toy, you'll find a favorite spot to pull out what you think is the correct sound to your ear.

Good drumming to you!

JF

doc_on_drums
02-18-2003, 11:52 AM
Jimmy is correct as far as the sweet spot on the drums. on the cymbals it is near the edge, not directly on the edge, with a glancing stroke. I have a thread on "cymbal talk" discussing finding the "sweet stroke" (how hard to strike) under "tired of breaking cymbals?". IMO drums and cymbals both can be hit too hard and/or too soft to produce the optimum sound. listen carefully to the sound you get at various strokes till you get the optimum sound.