PDA

View Full Version : Heads for Ferrone Snare



LGD
02-16-2003, 08:47 PM
I just got a Steve Ferrone snare and am looking for some recommendations on new heads for it. I am a beginner drummer and upgraded the snare that came with my set. I play mainly rock so I like the deeper sound. The music store here suggested a Remo Powerstoke 3 and a Remo Hazy snare. What do you guys think? I don't like a lot of ring or resonance.


Thanks for the help!

Jeff Wald
03-03-2003, 02:02 PM
i personally like the aquarian satin finish (coated) head on my ferrone snare. and i'll play rock w/ it as well & it really cuts thru but is also senstive for lighter stuff i'll do.
tha's just my opinion

agulbrandson
03-03-2003, 04:23 PM
Try a coated Evans G2 / Coated Remo Emperor on top... bottom, hazy 300 from evans

Monday317
03-04-2003, 09:29 AM
If you don't care for the ring--I don't either--throw a Studio Ring on the head. That'll dry the sound out nicely without killing the drum altogether.

LGD
03-08-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Wald
i personally like the aquarian satin finish (coated) head on my ferrone snare. and i'll play rock w/ it as well & it really cuts thru but is also senstive for lighter stuff i'll do.
tha's just my opinion

Thanks for the suggestion. Since you also have a Ferrone, I have one more quick question for you...do you have any trouble tightening the lugs by hand. About six of the lugs on mine will only hand tightened about half way (leaving them about 3/4" above the rim) then I need to use a drum key.

Jeff Wald
03-09-2003, 12:11 PM
i'm not sure exactly what you mean but i just hand tighten them as far as they go & then use the key. i don't think that any of them get stuck, or put it this way - i've never noticed anything strange when tuning it - and i tore it down to the shell friday to clean it & the gold rims. no problems putting it back.
let me know if this helps/you need more info.

LGD
03-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Wald
i'm not sure exactly what you mean but i just hand tighten them as far as they go & then use the key. i don't think that any of them get stuck, or put it this way - i've never noticed anything strange when tuning it - and i tore it down to the shell friday to clean it & the gold rims. no problems putting it back.
let me know if this helps/you need more info.

When I hand tighten the lugs they stop turning with the nut about 3/4" above the rim. It doesn't set flush on the rim until I have tighten it with the key. Doesn't sound like you have this problem. I'm going to give Pearl a call and discuss with them.

Monday317
03-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Regarding your lugs-- I have an older Classic Sensitone in brass, with tube lugs. It's basically the same as your Ferrone snare, but with a single flange hoop. I had a couple lugs that won't hand-tighten all the way down, either.

What I did was easy; I put a little silicon grease on the end of the lug screw and worked it up and down on the thread. That fixed one lug screw, but the other didn't work down.

I went to the hardware store with a lug screw, and bought a metric tap to match the screw threads. They're a standard metric size 5.8x4.5 I think it was. Anyway, it's easy to have someone get you the right metric tap. Then I went into the lug with the tap and blueprinted it--in fact I did 'em all. Now they all go in finger tight nice and easy, and don't hang up or anything. It's easier to get a good tune, too, since there are no points where the screws bind up, so it feels as if the heads tune more positively.

I am going to blueprint all my kit lugs when the kit arrives, first thing. I may even get the matching die and blueprint the lug screws themselves.

Sure, that's getting a little whacko, but I'm an engineer on my day job, and we tend to be that way...

:D

LGD
03-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Monday317
Regarding your lugs-- I have an older Classic Sensitone in brass, with tube lugs. It's basically the same as your Ferrone snare, but with a single flange hoop. I had a couple lugs that won't hand-tighten all the way down, either.

What I did was easy; I put a little silicon grease on the end of the lug screw and worked it up and down on the thread. That fixed one lug screw, but the other didn't work down.

I went to the hardware store with a lug screw, and bought a metric tap to match the screw threads. They're a standard metric size 5.8x4.5 I think it was. Anyway, it's easy to have someone get you the right metric tap. Then I went into the lug with the tap and blueprinted it--in fact I did 'em all. Now they all go in finger tight nice and easy, and don't hang up or anything. It's easier to get a good tune, too, since there are no points where the screws bind up, so it feels as if the heads tune more positively.

I am going to blueprint all my kit lugs when the kit arrives, first thing. I may even get the matching die and blueprint the lug screws themselves.

Sure, that's getting a little whacko, but I'm an engineer on my day job, and we tend to be that way...

:D


Thanks for the reply. I'm kind of concerned about messing around with the drum too much as it is only a couple weeks old. The other problem is that six of the ten lugs on the top have this problem. They almost go in at an angle. If it was one or two I wouldn't be so concerned but six doesn't seem right to me.

I'm frustrated because it's the first nice snare I have purchased and am having all these problems.

Monday317
03-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Well, if you feel there are actual quality issue with the drum, PM Gene or leave a thread in Pearl First Aid. These guys will do everything they can to see you are satisfied. The kind of work I am doing is just a little cleanup, and is also work with which I am very comfortable.

If you feel your lugs have been tapped improperly, or that there are real quality issues, then let the Pearl folks know right away.