PDA

View Full Version : Birch or Maple Snare???

jokerjkny
02-13-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey all,

i'm thinking about getting a 13x6 snare, but how would birch differ from maple?

snare drum guy
02-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Maple is mellower than birch.Birch has more highs.Maple has more low.

stevo
02-13-2003, 06:12 AM
Good luck trying to get a Pearl maple/birch 13" snare
unless you go Masterworks.

luvmydrumz
02-13-2003, 11:54 AM
I have a 8x14 maple snare and it has a nice warm crack to it. I would imagine the birch would scream compared to maple,it would be much louder.

DED
02-13-2003, 02:21 PM
I just took delivery of a 6.5x13 maple Spaun and it's a great drum. I haven't really used wood snares in quite a while but i took a chance with this one because I figured the size and shell material would give me a completely different sound than my usual 6.5x14 bronze drums.
The red bird's eye maple finish didn't hurt either.

Full Collapse
02-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Birch is good for everything but snares in my opinion.

newbeat
02-13-2003, 04:35 PM
What makes you say so?

newresolve1
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
i love my birch snare

OUKIE
02-18-2003, 07:20 PM
I love my BLX birch snare!!!

drumsolo
02-21-2003, 10:27 AM
This should help. It describes yellow birch as it compared to maple. It is a slightly longer version of the DRUM! magazine "wood of the month".

http://www.drumsolo.cc/snare_drums/snare_gallery/birch/birch.html

greg

SLIPKNOT1
02-21-2003, 10:50 AM
I have a Tama SC birch snare the i really like. Its nice to have one to break up using an all maple set all the time.

newbeat
02-22-2003, 11:18 AM
Slip, how often do you use your birch snare, and for what? Does it work for your heavier stuff, or do you just use your 30 ply vented for things like that? How loud and cracky is it compared to your OCDP? Thanks..

Fredzs
02-22-2003, 06:14 PM
havent heard a birch snare, but i know my teacher's maple snare is one of the most versatile snare ive ever used, very nice.. its a good workhouse snare.. his snare is a Premier Signia Marquis .

trickg
08-22-2005, 10:18 AM
This is an old thread, but I thought I would resurect it, but first I want to toss out a couple of statements that sort of describe my thought process on this.

My current snare is a 6 X 14 10-ply maple that I made myself and it sounds good.

My original snare was the birch snare that came with my kit - Pacific FS 5.5 X 14, 8-lug - and I upgraded the hoops to 2.3 mm triple flanged. It sounded good, but I built the maple snare figuring that if this drum sounded good, then the maple would sound that much better, right?

Recently, the drummer for the party band where I play trumpet started using the birch snare that came with his Yamaha Recording Customs (he was using a 6.5 X 14 Pearl brass Free Floater.) and I have got to say, it sounds pretty good.

I am now having some thoughts about investing some time and money back into my birch snare due to how much I am digging the sound of my friend's birch snare:

Check the edges/recut if needed
Check the snare bed
new snare wires
Maybe do a gloss lacquer top coat (currently satin lacquer) to dress it up a bit.

All things being equal, is this drum worth putting the extra time and $$$ into? Like I said, I always thought it sounded good, but I went with the maple thinking that,well, it's maple. It has to be better, right?

Synergy Drums
08-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I would say that it's worth it if the edges/bearing edges suck, otherwise just get some nice snare wires. If you put on another clearcoat then the drum's finish might lose the clarity.

nils
08-22-2005, 10:37 AM
I love my BLX birch snare!!!

My words!

trickg
08-22-2005, 10:38 AM
If all else fails, I can always hit it a few turns on a sanding table and really get the edges even, although I'm not positive what effect dulling the edges a bit would have. This snare was always a bit ringy, but it was also fairly loud so while on this snare I used a Rem-O studio ring, it never lacked in volume.

Of course, since I'm not using it at all anyway, could it really hurt anything to fiddle and experiment with it? I've also got a Pacific LX maple snare shell that I picked up for a decent price on ebay that I have yet to do anything with, so it isn't like my snare drum options will be limited if I can't use the birch snare shell for a while.

Do you really think that putting a clear coat over it will dull the clarity? I used about 25 coats of Deft from a can on my maple snare (then wet sanded to 2000 grit and polished) and it looks like glass because it is completely transparent.

All in all, sound is the most important to me - if I can get this snare going again and get the sound I want, I'm not overly concerned about the way that it looks.

Synergy Drums
08-22-2005, 10:51 AM
I don't know what pacific used on that finish...so if they used something that yellows with age (might be oil-based) as the topcoat then you won't get an extremely clear finish. The deft should work on the snare because the finish has cured already.

Check out the bearing edges...if they're bad then consider getting them re-edged.

trickg
08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
The litterature I have read regarding the Pacific FS kit from that time frame says both satin oil finish and satin lacquer. My guess, judging from the fact that they are put together in Mexico, that it is a fast drying, quick shot lacquer. I could be wrong, but if I do try to put a gloss finish on it and something screws up, I can always redo the finish with either a wrap, or simply sand back down to the wood and do something else.

It sticks in my mind the last time I had the heads off of that drum, that the bearing edges were pretty decent, but I know a bit more about it now than I did back then, so I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the tips. It looks like I have project almost ready to go! :)