PDA

View Full Version : Vented Snares

FuNkaDruMmer
02-11-2003, 05:22 AM
I was thinking about geting a Vented snare from Conaway casue he does them but he only does small vents. And I was wondering how loud this would give me and what kind of sensitivity. I might not get it casue if its not a lot I am Probally not gonna get it then.

http://ocdrum.com/vented.htm

Bottom one

SLIPKNOT1
02-11-2003, 05:44 AM
A bunch of small vents will take the place of only a few large vents. It will probably have a similar sound to a conventional vented snare. Still the same overall area of holes, just spread out more.

Fredzs
02-11-2003, 05:59 AM
it would be louder, but it wouldnt crack the same, cause Dave only uses 10 ply max, and the 10 ply is only around 7mm? its pretty thin so it wont crack much..

SLIPKNOT1
02-11-2003, 06:33 AM
He did'nt ask about crack, just volume. I am guessing he realises the limit on shell thickness???

Medic1121
02-11-2003, 08:16 AM
Just my opinion now so easy fellas...

But I'd be wary of any claim that venting has anything to do with volume. Their claim that the decay is instantaneous is however right on the money. The vibrating resonance you get from your snare is a function of the air molecules inside slamming back and forth against the batter and resonant heads as a unit. give the pressure more chance to equalize quickly, you in turn decrease the resonance. What you will get with this drum is a clean dry hit with little vibration, overtone etc.

I think Ludwig tried a snare with a whole band cut out of it for marching percussion in the 80's and it didn't do anything in terms of the volume. One thing is for sure though, you will have a unique piece of equipment.

SLIPKNOT1
02-11-2003, 01:34 PM
Medic, there is no question, Vented snares are louder and more sensitive (You can hear light hits easier). You can hear ghost notes alot easier on a vented snare. On a normal snare, you would have to hit it harder to get the same volume of ghost notes. The snare becomes more sensitve because you can hear notes easier. The volume increase is tremendous. They do have a rather fast decay but you do still have some overtones.

Medic1121
02-11-2003, 01:47 PM
There ya have it.

I don't pretend to be the last word here, just going from my experiences with the slotted marching snares. Well, and physics...which don't always translate well!