PDA

View Full Version : i want a low sounding snare

Fran
02-10-2003, 01:49 AM
can someone help me out
brand of the snare does not matter

i would like a low sound, i am not into piccolo's. i want a low sound. can anyone tell me which model, brand. or what type of snare i should look for. nothing over 1000

Fredzs
02-10-2003, 04:06 AM
nothing over 1000? or 100? try getting your hands on a 8x14 mahogany snare drum . . . you need something deep and big in diameter..

broken_origin
02-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Ive found that 14x8 snares are not versatile at all. I would suggest a 14x6.5 brass or if you want more warmth go with a 14x6.5 Pearl MHX. But anything deep will give you a "low" sound.
Later,
Michael

drumsolo
02-10-2003, 11:51 PM
I suggest looking into another wood species which will give you that "big drum" sound without having to go with a big drum. Many species of woods will give you more low end and body than a maple drum. Here is one such species, whcih also happens to look stunning.
http://www.drumsolo.cc/snare_drums/snare_gallery/Chokte_Kok/Chokte_Kok.html

greg

MatthewWD
02-11-2003, 07:23 AM
If you can get your hands on a Dennis Chambers Signature series, it'll do anything you want. If you want it low, it'll handle it nicely. I believe Mr. Chambers uses his with an Evans HD Dry on the batter, as do I, which dries the tone just nicely. The dry tone seems to help at low intonation to keep the attack from commpressing too much, but what do I know. I don't think they're made anymore, but you may put out an ISO ad and try to find one. They ran around $450 brand new. 14 x 6.5, 4-ply maple shell, dual 4-way snare throws. GORGEOUS, drum. I own 4 snares and that one is my workhorse.

broken_origin
02-11-2003, 09:12 AM
You must write the "Wood of The Month" column in DRUM! no? That's wood of the month in this issue and it has the EXACT descrription. Verbatum. As a side question, I have a Dunnett snare in the mail, its a 13x5.5 stainless with Purpleheart hoops (Drum of the month no less!) and the hoops were only $250(only about $50 more than maple hoops) so is the cost of purple heart about the same as maple? If not, how much would a 14x6 purpleheart snare run me? Thanks alot.
Michael
if you want you can email me at [email protected]

RedHotMuDMath
02-11-2003, 02:19 PM
want a really, really deep snare sound? Convert a 12 or 13" tom into a snare! That's what I did, it's simple, and with the right tuning and heads it sounds killer, it's good enough to be used as my primary snare now! The only bad thing is that you really have to crank the tension for it to not sound like mud, and that puts loads of stress on a 6-lug drum. But I found a happy medium between tension and stress and tuning, and I am very pleased with it. I'll post pictures later this week.

Keep Drummin!
-Pat

DaveDrummer
02-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by RedHotMuDMath
want a really, really deep snare sound? Convert a 12 or 13" tom into a snare! That's what I did, it's simple, and with the right tuning and heads it sounds killer, it's good enough to be used as my primary snare now! The only bad thing is that you really have to crank the tension for it to not sound like mud, and that puts loads of stress on a 6-lug drum. But I found a happy medium between tension and stress and tuning, and I am very pleased with it. I'll post pictures later this week.

Keep Drummin!
-Pat

You, my friend, are a sick man.

naaaa just playing

Thats a cool idea it must look like the military marching snares u know the really big ones. Cool

Dave

RedHotMuDMath
02-11-2003, 04:45 PM
It doesn't sound anything like I thought it would. It sounds fairly close in pitch to my 5.5x14, with a whole lot more depth and oomph. My best description of the snare is that it's a like a hybrid of the drummer from the Spin Doctors (forgot his name, sorry), crossed Phil Rudd from AC/DC, crossed with Vinnie Paul of Pantera, with a tiny bit of the Carter Beauford power piccolo sound.

A really great project, indeed.

drumsolo
02-12-2003, 10:49 PM
Hey BROKEN,
i do write that article fro DRUM! magazine. I'm glad you enjoy it and that drummers are realizing that they aren't limited to maple! I sent you an e-mail. If it doesn't work (I'm a bit "challenged" with this stuff sometimes) just drop me an e-mail via the web site.

greg

mrbeaver
02-13-2003, 09:20 PM
14x8 would be great but if u want something more stock and cheaper get a 14x6.5 maple FF