PDA

View Full Version : Are Big kits "IN" or "out"?

DRUMMAN
02-08-2003, 11:29 PM
DO you think big kits(6pc and larger) are coming back in style or are little kits the way to go??

emopunker
02-09-2003, 12:02 AM
That depends on the style of music really. In punk rock, most drummers would use a 4-piece set and that would be enough for them. For Progressive Rock / Alternative / Metal, yes, that's definitely "IN", most of those drummers use waaay more than a 6-piece set. As for jazz, that varies, some drummers stick with the 4/5-piece 60's sets and some (like Jack DeJohnette), use a larger set.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drum/Jack%20de%20Johnette11.jpg

Tabla_Man
02-09-2003, 12:10 AM
ummmm......how do you answer an either/or question with yes or no???

emopunker
02-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Tabla_Man
ummmm......how do you answer an either/or question with yes or no??? Yeah, the question's a little general, that's why I haven't voted yet.

giantmink
02-09-2003, 03:54 AM
I love Jack's Sonors. I am not going to vote, I like the idea though. I swith it around depending on my mood. Basically if I am depressed I use a smaller set, if I am in a good mood I use a larger one. If I am angry in-between. It depends. I know it is strange.

AntiConformist
02-09-2003, 08:51 AM
is "yes" big, and "no" small? hmmmm

JamesDrummer1989
02-09-2003, 10:51 AM
I really want a "Big" kit. I've always wanted 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, 1 snare, and 1 bass. I kind of base my dream kit on deepthought's old one, even though his new one is also great. My friend has a large kit like the one I just said I want, and it's great. My drums are like my second home to me:D

As for the question, I think there are possibly more smaller kits than big ones. And I based that answer of some music videos I've seen lately. But the kits they use live, they might be bigger, I don't know.:(

DRUMMAN
02-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Sorry for the confusion but you can vote yes if you feel big kits are "in" and no if they aren't

I was mainly asking for rock as i would use a small setup for jazz

SLIPKNOT1
02-09-2003, 01:13 PM
The trend i seem to see is they are getting smaller for punk/pop type music and staying the same with the metal guys. Long gone are the days of HUGE drum kits like you used to see.

mac2
02-09-2003, 01:17 PM
If I look at i-net drumsolo's out there from the past year I mostly get large kits on my screen, I myself left out the high tom on my own kit, it sounded a bit too reggae for the soul and blues I play. But still, most kits should have the 3 tom rack just for the fun of once hitting it every night

ian40uk
02-09-2003, 02:26 PM
helps me concentrate on basic rudiments and stuff during practice, ( coz im not the worlds greatest drummer by a long way ).

:D

Monday317
02-09-2003, 04:17 PM
I dunno; I said yes, because it seems a lot of people here on the forum seem to be nuts over larger kits. I also follow jazz a great deal, and while most jazz kits are small, fusion guys like Dave Weckl and Steve Smith have larger kits. I think Carter Beauford's kit is pretty large isn't it?

It's probably not a big marketing trend for kits to be huge, but it just appears that there are a lot of larger kits out there, from what I see.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!

thepassenger48
02-09-2003, 07:02 PM
I play heavy, but I have a jazzy style so my kit is a mixture of big and small.

Adrian NoRi
02-09-2003, 07:07 PM
I like small and big kits but like big kits more.:cool:

Dex
02-09-2003, 09:31 PM
I love playing a big kit, but you don't need them for everything, and they are such a pain in the *** to move that I seldom use my whole kit for something.

Some people are using big kits (Portnoy's keeps getting bigger, as does Bozzio's) some are using smaller (pop/punk drummers, Neil Peart has also scaled down his kit). I guess it depends...

Tabla_Man
02-09-2003, 10:36 PM
Yeah, I think it's more of a convinence thing. I've thought about going back to a double bass kit, but then I think, 'why, it's harder to tune and mic, and I have to carry and extra 20 pounds of stuff.'

My current kit is 6 piece, but I'm thinking of adding an 8" tom for more color. But so far I've only played the kit live twice, and it was for musicals, where I went with a 4 piece setup.

Big King
02-09-2003, 10:44 PM
I think of this question like this.........

You can have alot more variety with more "stuff." Sure you can play a 4 piece set, but you can do things with a 9 piece that you cant do with a 4 piece. They make 4 string basses, but yet they also make 5, 6, 8, even 12 string basses, each sounds very different.

It all boils down to personal taste.

also the style of the music that is being played comes into factor as well. In Punk, large drum fills are not very common, it's more about the aggression and speed. In prog and metal, large fills are part of the sound. To do large fills you need more drums.

Tabla_Man
02-10-2003, 12:21 AM
Yeah, but be-bop has alot of fills and solos and most be-bop drummers only play with a 4 piece kit.

Flipkid
02-10-2003, 05:22 AM
It comes down to a combination of personal choice and the style of music one plays. Lars Ulrich would look (and sound) pretty silly sitting behind a four-piece bop kit.

Conversely, Charlie Watts would look ridiculous sitting behind Mike Portnoy's "Siamese Monster" kit!

dblbassmassacre
02-10-2003, 08:51 AM
why are small kits the thing to do for punk drummers? i dont understand.
i use a rack and a nine piece set up and it works fine, i couldnt imagine using less... i cant imagine using a four piece kit and i dont think that it would very well...specially with the rack tom-floor tom set up...

Smoke N Drums
02-10-2003, 12:12 PM
I usually gig with a 6 or 7 piece Kit (sometimes a 5 piece.)

Lounge work = 2 piece (Snare & Jungle Bass.)

Wickerman
02-10-2003, 12:51 PM
now thats whatr call a quick setup lol.
dam I could carry that on my mountain bike!! lol . Perfect

Smoke N Drums
02-10-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Wickerman
now thats whatr call a quick setup lol.
dam I could carry that on my mountain bike!! lol . Perfect

Yea my band always say: "Don't worry Smoke, we won't step on your drum!" :D

ian40uk
02-10-2003, 01:18 PM
I only use the 3 piece set up as a practice without the band. i just concentrate on the snare - hat - bass . but it actually works well on a lot of songs believe it or not

Smoke N Drums
02-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by ian40uk
I only use the 3 piece set up as a practice without the band. i just concentrate on the snare - hat - bass . but it actually works well on a lot of songs believe it or not

While I really enjoy a larger kit, and basically have a three tom orientation to my phrasing..... a smaller kit makes you THINK about things a bit.

Not only does it make you focus more on the groove (after all its the main thing) but fills on a smaller kit require some thought......not just the ones we do from "muscle memory" on larger kits.

dblbassmassacre
02-10-2003, 04:38 PM
not true, and dont picture me saying this in a ******** tone of voice...just casual conversation

i mean, i think that fills on big drums can be very very creative also! i think they are needed to be creative. its prolly just my style but i know some one like josh freese could do amazing fills on both types of drumsets but...i stick to one style and i like it, as im sure you all like yours:)

Maple_Shells
02-10-2003, 06:49 PM
I play a 7 piece ( 10,12,13 rack, 14&16 floor toms, snare, bass) I love it, although i wish i had another bass drum instead of a double pedal.

dblbassmassacre
02-10-2003, 07:32 PM
yo man....i got two basses and i PROMISE you that its worth it....yes it is another 1000000 pounds to haul, lol, and yes they are a b#[email protected] to tune.....but they are sooooooooooo full

Full Collapse
02-11-2003, 02:00 PM
I hate big kits. I would go as far as snare, bass, two rack toms and a floor tom. Nothing more. I mean if its bigger I'm not going to yell or complain but sometimes I see a lot of kits just WAY too big. Mike Portnoy's set? C'mon, I think thats a little big. I'm just not a fan of big kits.

And until I'm a big band with drum techs and making lots of money and having headlining tours, I can't get any bigger than what I said I would go. At shows, you literally have little to non time to set up. Adding 5 million cymbals and two bass drums and five toms would not be possible. You don't have time for that with a half hour set.

So I think they are in as I look at all your sets. But...I don't like it.

ian40uk
02-11-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm with you FullCollapse :)

Smoke N Drums
02-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by dblbassmassacre
not true, and dont picture me saying this in a ******** tone of voice...just casual conversation
I think that fills on big drums can be very very creative also! i think they are needed to be creative. its prolly just my style but i know some one like josh freese could do amazing fills on both types of drumsets but...i stick to one style and i like it, as im sure you all like yours:)

Drummers that usually play on bigger kits have to "think" more when on a smaller kit. Creativity is more a function of the drummer than the kit. Both Max Roach and Tony Williams were very melodic and they didn't play a "monster" kit. Buddy was surely creative and he used a 4 piece (the 2d floor tom being used as a towel holder.) I myself will not play a 4 piece if I have the option. Over the years, my phasing has become rooted in a 3 tom voicing. Using the snare as a sub for the high tom works, but isn't comfortable for me.

Dex
02-11-2003, 02:23 PM
I don't know....
Using a small kit if you are used to a big kit requires a lot of thought (for me anyway). I have to consider my "targets" so to speak, instead of just hitting something. You can do a lot with a little or a lot with a lot, depending on what you want to do.

I love a giant double bass kit, but playing on just a snare and a hi-hat seperates the men from the boys (especially when you're playing death metal).......lol!

The Swish Knocker
02-11-2003, 03:10 PM
Jimmy Chamberlin (ZWAN, Smashing Pumpkins) uses a pretty big kit but says he actually prefers using a hipgig for alotta shows.

The Swish Knocker
02-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Full Colapse, you're definitly right about the trouble and impracticality of using a big kit for club gigging. I've used a 13-piece to practice but for shows I strip it down to about a six piece with two crashes a china, hihats and a ride.

In this photo i was using a remote hihat, i think it's kinda helpful for live playing so I don't have to move around as much, but even that adds to setup time.

doc_on_drums
02-11-2003, 07:43 PM
I used to play a large kit (nine toms, double bass, surrounded by cymbals etc...) and I enjoyed it. I did a lot of things that I just can't make work as well on my current kit (five piece w/7 cymbals), going back to the five piece made me think more about how to fit my fills. I do plan to expand my kit to a four tom setup. I don't like playing a four piece, it's just not my style. I do admire a drummer who can hold my attention playing a four. Personally, the way I like to play I prefere a six or seven piece arrangement, as far as double bass, a double pedal is good enough for me. Large kit, small kit, in or out, all depends on your style of playing and type of music.

Smoke N Drums
02-12-2003, 11:24 AM
I do use only a Bass N Snare (w/ Hats, Ride, & 14" crash)
for lounge work

I think the "funnest" Bass N Snare for me is: Bass w/double pedal, Snare, Hats, and (maybe) Ride. This lets me focus my woodshed efforts on double bass technique.

Axe
02-12-2003, 11:30 AM
If I'm doing 3 sets a night, I have no problem taking a big double bass kit. How long much longer does it really take to throw up an extra kick and a few more cymbals. I could see not doing that when youre opening for someone, but if ur doin 3 sets, I think thats an irrelevant, lazy mans argument. If ur not into big kits, thats one thing, speaking strictly aesthetically. I dont for a minute buy the long winded "creativity" issue. What a bunch of rubbish.....personally, I look at guys with small kits, and unless youre Dave Weckl, I lose interest fast. I guess I just like stuff a little different, and with small kits, you look like everybody else. Just my opinion.

Full Collapse
02-12-2003, 03:10 PM
Club gigging...try doing shows with my band. I can't club gig really considering I can't read music (I want to learn!) but six piece is even big. The biggest is a five piece for time. Three crashes at most. Otherwise, you're able to play one to two songs considering that your whole band has to help put the set up on stage THEN set up all their stuff and tune. I use a four piece because I can set this up by myself in a decent time. I might consider going bigger (adding another tom somewhere) when I because big an famous. I love staying simple too.

Smoke N Drums
02-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Full Collapse
Club gigging...try doing shows with my band. I can't club gig really considering I can't read music (I want to learn!) but six piece is even big. The biggest is a five piece for time. Three crashes at most. Otherwise, you're able to play one to two songs considering that your whole band has to help put the set up on stage THEN set up all their stuff and tune. I use a four piece because I can set this up by myself in a decent time. I might consider going bigger (adding another tom somewhere) when I because big an famous. I love staying simple too.

I have no problems with a 6 piece. With a rack it actually has a smaller "footprint" than a 5 piece w/stands. I'm in a trio and there are no problems hauling in my drums (and the PA and the amps and the lights................ ! ! )

I'll admit setting up a 4 piece is quicker than a 5 or 6 piece.......but not by much. (I have 2 toms in one case so the "extra" drum is no big deal.)

mrbeaver
02-13-2003, 08:27 PM
definently out. with people removing drums from their drumset so they look like their favorite punk drummer

Geronimo
02-14-2003, 06:36 PM
I don't think big kits are in style, however, I have a big kit (7/8 pc - I trade off) and love it. Almost every drummer I see locally is playing a 5/6 pc. Maybe they WANT bigger sets...............

Smoke N Drums
02-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey Geronimo,

Is that 12x7 Slingerland @ M6K?

Fixxxer
02-15-2003, 01:08 PM
i like to play on big kits, but i think that if i ever start playin alot of shows, i would have a small kit, unless my band plays a big gig, then i would bring my rig in it's entirety, however, i don't really know what im sayin, i have 1 kit, a 5pc, and 4 cymbals, 1 is good, the rest are not

drumby5
02-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I dislike big kits. I use a 4 pc (pic attached). I'm a jazz player, but i do a lot of rock stuff as well. The only change between the two you really need to make is having brighter cymbals for stage work. A gigantic kit, with 25 cymbals and 10 toms is just rediculous. Sometimes you hear entire shows where the drummer might not even touch half of his gigantic kit. It has nothing to do with imagination, sometimes it might take more skill to figure out the different sounds you can get out of a 4 pc than a 15pc, for example using the open high hats as a "sound filler" as opposed to the 5 china cymbals you have on your set. (you can , with the right pressure on your high hats, create a very nice sizzling effect, losing the need for tons of effects cymbals)

here is my kit, and i have a very cymbal-oriented style.

Cholas
02-15-2003, 05:30 PM
I haven't posted on here in a long long time.

I think you can still do cool sounding things on a relatively small kit. (I don't know if the mood towards this man has changed, but if past experiences on here are anything to go by, I'm taking my life into my own hands when I say...) Travis Barker's solo on the second DVD. The outro of that, which is the bridge in "Roller Coaster", is done on a relatively small kit, but I think it sounds very cool indeed.

Full Collapse
02-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by mrbeaver
definently out. with people removing drums from their drumset so they look like their favorite punk drummer

Because they want to look like their favorite drummer? Its more like the not needing the extra small tom my set came with. Its too small.

And with the 6 piece kit with a rack...you must being playing shows where you set up and play for a half hour or an hour to something and there aren't any other bands. I'm talking bout playing a set and then getting out.

danEng
02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
a big kit can easily be reduced. enlarging a small kit ain't so easy
i use a 7 piece. (see pic)

danEng
02-16-2003, 04:23 PM
oops. heres the pic.

Fixxxer
02-17-2003, 12:09 AM
i like small kits too, cause they are east to move, and its fun to play on small kits

for one of my band practices, i used hihats, snare, bass, and a 17" crash, and it was good, but when i go into more complex stuff, i like to have the toms for good mesure, and more melodicly playing

drummerboy223
02-22-2003, 10:16 AM
dud it doesnt matter watever you like.

Tom Reyns
02-22-2003, 10:46 AM
I think punk players will prefer smaller kits then metal players. I want to play metal and a little punk but i think i will not expand till i have a monster like portnoy. But its fun to expiriment with new thing and expanding...

later,
-Tom

random_jedi
02-24-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by emopunker

http://www.drummerworld.com/drum/Jack%20de%20Johnette11.jpg

Colin Powell on drums..

No, seriously, what do you mean? African or European?

random_jedi
02-24-2003, 10:02 PM
"Blue..I mean yellow!-"

ian40uk
02-25-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by danEng
a big kit can easily be reduced. enlarging a small kit ain't so easy
i use a 7 piece. (see pic)

Dan, thats a lovely lookin kit matey, very nice indeed :)

IAN

chico
02-25-2003, 09:21 AM
I have a seven piece but I think that the smaller kits are definitely in. Just look at the music video's nowadays almost every drummer on music video's has a 4 piece type setup even some hard rock. I don't know if they do that just for video's or permanent but I like the bigger kits. About setups; I have seen drummers who have a big kit on a rack and can just have the toms already on the rack and with someone elses help can haul the whole rack. That sounds pretty easy to me.
4 pieces are convenient but think they are just boring and it has become somewhat of a fad. Drums like other instruments have pitches and the pitches the more notes-more sounds which is more melodic as well.

SLIPKNOT1
02-28-2003, 11:15 AM
The simple answer:

Big kits that you dont use everything on: OUT

Big kits where you utilize everything: IN

Basically, if you have a monster kit for no other reason then it looks "Cool" and you only use three drums and 2 cymbals on it, its lame. IE Playing a Blink song on the Siamese Monster.

Eliminator
02-28-2003, 03:45 PM
I think advertising may have a bit to do with it. I found that during the mid 90s, there were barley any double bass kits in any of the major manufacture's catologs. However in the last few years, tama and pearl have really made it alot easier to build a large kit. A great example of this can be seen in that new export package with the 2 basses, a 12,13,16,snare.

Myself, I prefer the larger kits. I started out small and slowly build my kit up. When I practice alone and just mess around, I use my big kit, but latley the shows I've been playing I just use a 5-6 pce with only 1 bass.

And there's always the cost issue. If you are a gigging drumer and you add a drum for example you now have added costs. That includes heads, cases, mounting, mics, and maintenence.

eliminator

carrjam
02-28-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
The simple answer:

Basically, if you have a monster kit for no other reason then it looks "Cool" and you only use three drums and 2 cymbals on it, its lame. IE Playing a Blink song on the Siamese Monster.

I agree. I used to pay an 11 piece kit in the 80's. Now I'm down to 5. Back then I played everything, but I really didn't need it. My playing has actually improved since I down-sized. :D

AussieDrums
03-02-2003, 03:43 AM
I'm a 5 piece man, 10,12,14 floor, 20 kick and 14 snare. There are times when i'd love to have 16" floor there as well, maybe at the expense of the 12 or 10 or something. Especially whilst playing rock on what is more of a jazz/fusion set up. Still, trying to fit much more into a Mazda 323 hatchback is a bit testing. Most of the gigs I play tend either to be outside where the higher pitches carry a little better and set up time is at a premium (ie when some shady character is eyeing your gear for just a little too long). Or, its indoors for a musical, and usually in an orchestra pit. Maybe its just some of the venues around here that have a tiny pit. One of the venues is like playing in a phone box with 3 guitarists and a keyboardist - and thats a 5pc with 5 cymbals. Other MD's try and pack in strings, brass and wind, and I'm playing with my back literally to the wall. Sure for a few of the rock/pop-styled musicals a bigger kit would be nice - but considering most of the other stuff was written in the days of 4pc kits or simply don't musically allow for gigantic flowing tom fills. Not to mention space - I get enough *****ing from horn players who sit too close to my cymbals then complain that their ears hurt. Hmm....

Thats my $0.05AUD anyway (works out to be about 2c US)

rikerbeard
03-03-2003, 01:51 AM
Despite what some might say, big kits are totally the way to go. Big kits with big drums! Is it necessary, no. Does it make you a better drummer, no way! But it looks SOOO cool. There is something to be said for the asthetic value of a big kit. The symmetry, the huge footprint. Its an attention grabber. Additionally, the 2nd bass drum makes all the difference in the world. If you have trouble tuning them together, trigger them! You wont look back.

After all, noone HAS to drive a Mercedes...

One more thing, why cant anyone use a big sounding snare drum anymore???

changerdrums
03-04-2003, 03:00 PM
I am one of the few drummers in Iceland who use big kits. Actually, we're only three...

My kit usually goes by the name "The Tank".

This is something that I have built up steadily through the years, and I can proudly say that I use all of the drums and cymbals that I have. I don't use them all in every song, of course, but try and use what fits the song.

Ingredients of "The Tank":

Cymbals – Paiste

8” splash 2002
10” splash 2002
10” power splash 2002
12” splash 2002
16” crystal crash Alpha
16” power crash 2002
18” power crash Alpha
18” power crash 2002
19” power crash 2002
13” mega cup chime Sound Formula
13” sound edge hi-hat 2002
14” extra heavy hi-hat 2002
18” china 2002
20” china 2002
22” heavy ride Alpha
4,5” bell (manufactured by a local cymbal smith)

Drums – Pearl Export Select

22”x16” bassdrum x 2
14”x5,5” snare (wood)
10”x4” snare (wood)
12”x10” tom
13”x11” tom
16”x16” floor tom
18”x16” floor tom
6”x12(?)” octoban
6”x14(?)” octoban

Hardware – Pearl

DR-503 drum rack
DR-501E drum rack extension
PC-50 clamp x 14
P-2000C bass drum pedal x 2
S-2000 snare stand
D-220 drum throne
AX-28 adapter
CH-88 cymbal holder x 6
CH-70 cymbal holder x 3
B-855W boom stand x 2 (mounted on rack)
C-855W stand x 2 (mounted on rack)
TH-100 tom holder x 2
TH-100S tom holder
TH-88 tom holder x 2
H-2000 hi-hat stand
RH-2000 remote hi-hat

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this setup, but here's the link to the photo section of my private website:
http://nemendur.khi.is/krisheid/pics.htm
There you can see how my set used to look like. Second from top and the one above my "Animal" expression... :D

Also, my band's website:
Changer (http://www.dordingull.com/changer)
There you can check out mp3's among other stuff.

TonyTheDude
03-05-2003, 08:07 AM
i prefer big kits, mainly because people dont like looking at me

siameese monster kits with 20 bass drums and 10 hats are just stupid

psx00
03-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by TonyTheDude
siameese monster kits with 20 bass drums and 10 hats are just stupid

I hope that's just an opinion. I like big kit, as long as they're used well. Marco Minnemann has quite the kit, but nobody bashes him. Why? He's excellent on it!

It's no the kit that's stupid, it's only if the person who owns it can't play it.

Mohadiib1
03-05-2003, 09:54 AM
I sway the big kit way. I have a 12 piece kit and it would be even bigger if I could afford it. Yes, I use it all. Why would I have drums and not use them? The way I see it, the more drums, the more different sounds I can make. I agree, the Siamese Monster is a bit of overkill, but the Purple Monster wasn't. Also, as several people have said, the big kits look so nice up on stage. If I was playing up on a big old stage, I wouldn't want to be up there with a dinky little 4 or 5 piece set. Oh hell no. It's partly about the show, not just the music. People go to a concert to be awestruck by the visual effects and stage show. Equipment has a lot to do with that. At least for me it always did. Give me mass quantity's of drums, or give me death.

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 10:01 AM
I agree on the Purple Monster as not being too big. The name is actually misleading. If you dont count the Octobans, its only a 9 piece kit. Not very big by todays standards considering Pearl and Tama both offer 9 piece entry level kits. If you watch his "Liquid drum theater" DVD (Which is great) you will see he uses every drum and cymbal in the kit, even the windchimes and Gong. I think the only thing i did'nt see him use was the Granite blocks.

chico
03-05-2003, 12:48 PM
The simple answer:

I completely agree with you Slip. If you don't use the stuff it is just vanity and a waste of money.

psx00
03-05-2003, 05:54 PM
I agree on the Purple Monster as not being too big. The name is actually misleading. If you dont count the Octobans, its only a 9 piece kit. Not very big by todays standards considering Pearl and Tama both offer 9 piece entry level kits. If you watch his "Liquid drum theater" DVD (Which is great) you will see he uses every drum and cymbal in the kit, even the windchimes and Gong. I think the only thing i did'nt see him use was the Granite blocks.

During the live concert DVD of "Scenes from New York" he uses the granite blocks at one point. The only thing he really doesn't use are the crotales. Honestly, all he used them for was during little breaks to get a certain ptich, not during any songs. That's all I could see that he didn't use.

I'd love to have a set of crotales to the right of me. I usually set-up a small set of practice orchestral bells and play a tune with my right hand on them while playing a beat with my other three limbs. It's something I'm working on, sorta like a not-so-signiture-signiture thing.

psx00
03-06-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by chico

I completely agree with you Slip. If you don't use the stuff it is just vanity and a waste of money.

Ricky Lawson anybody?

mr jason
03-07-2003, 09:11 AM
Yeah, he uses them once during A Change of Seasons when he and Myung go into the small little "dun dun dun duh dun duh 'Charge!'" bit.

\m/cornholio\m/
03-07-2003, 11:37 AM
When it gets bigger than 6 pieces, it's just a little rediculous. Maybe 7 if there was an aux. snare. My ultimate would be two rack (on a double tom stand), two floor, bass, 2 snares.

Mr. Krinkle
03-09-2003, 10:09 AM
I have a 9 piece kit and it feels just right.

antiviolent
03-09-2003, 03:58 PM
4 piece all the way!! But hey, that's for me. I could be using a 7 piece kit, (3 rack toms, floor tom, 2 snares, bass) but I prefer the smaller setup.
and I play screamo, hardcore, indie, and punk, and even some metal, but I dont need a 9 piece kit...

not to mention, pretty much the only place ot play around here has a small stage.

carrjam
03-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by rikerbeard
One more thing, why cant anyone use a big sounding snare drum anymore???

I couldn't agree more. I love the days of the 7+" deep snares. Remember the 80's fad where drummers loved using marching snares; 14X12, 14X14, etc...

I loved the sound of a cannon snare, as opposed to the "cap-gun" crack of a piccolo snare.

Personal pref,
no offence :rolleyes:

Fixxxer
03-12-2003, 03:53 PM
i love both, and i think it is important for a drummer to have a big arsenal, a 12x7 vented, and a 15x10 huge *** monster of back beats!!!!

acctually, more like a 15x4, or 15x5.5, but the point remains

psx00
03-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Fixxxer
i love both, and i think it is important for a drummer to have a big arsenal, a 12x7 vented, and a 15x10 huge *** monster of back beats!!!!

acctually, more like a 15x4, or 15x5.5, but the point remains

I like that!

Well, right now, I have my 14x5 DW brass and my Pearl 14x5 FF. I have a carbon fiber FF shell on order, so there's one unique voice. On top of that, I'm looking for a 13x7 Blackwood with woodhoops (Stanbridge), 12x6 Stanbridge/Dunnett "EDGE," and then a 10" snare (undecided), maybe an 8x8 effects. A 15" is on my list for the future....alright...

I have to stop talking snares. So many wants, so little money, hehe.

Traps
03-12-2003, 04:14 PM
I use both. A 4 piece for small intimate jazz gigs. And a 10 for everything else.

Drums_are_life
03-15-2003, 08:00 PM
it more impressive to play awesome on a 4 piece kit than a 5. 4 piece kits are in cause the ride situation

MisterSeth
03-15-2003, 08:05 PM
youre right a/b that how its more impressive to play on a 4 piece.........but i feel so limited on a small kit.......i like the move around a lot and have diff. sounds on toms

7acres_drummer
03-18-2003, 02:52 AM
i love playing and looking at big kits, but sometimes i don't know wot to hit next coz there's so much on the kit. But i'm building my kit up, once i get a job

Custom Z
03-18-2003, 03:25 PM
I say that as long as Terry Bozzio plays solo concerts, big kits are IN!
He's coming over here in 2 weeks, I've got tickets, I just can't wait!

exportselect342
03-19-2003, 12:45 AM
I have a 7pc export select and sometimes i just take all the toms off except for the 12 and 16. Big kits are fun to play though. Somtimes for gigs a big kit could make setup a lot harder. Personally i like a bigger kit like 7pc. It's really what you want.

I wish that you could look at new kits and see the drums instead of the hardware. The old kits kick *** with the tiny cymbal stands thats somthing i want to see come back.

BAMF
03-19-2003, 12:08 PM
I think some of you guys are missing the point. it is not more or less impressive playing well on a smaller kit ....or a big kit. No matter how big you kit is playing still basiclly centers around snare, bass and high hat (or ride). if you have are proficient with those then odds are you won't sound good. you can one tom or 50 and it won't mean anything if you don't have control over those three elements. ANYTHING beyond that is an extra voice that is personal to your own tastes, style and experience.

Talon
03-21-2003, 04:23 PM
Amen Brotha! Speak the truth!

Flattop1992
03-29-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DRUMMAN
DO you think big kits(6pc and larger) are coming back in style or are little kits the way to go??

I see more and more smaller kits these days but that doesn't mean large kits are out. There's a large one in my basement so I'm a bit partial to them! :)

rikerbeard
04-01-2003, 01:29 AM
You know what's also cool? Big drums. There was a trend for a while where these guys would use tiny little drums. It looked so dumb, some dude with a 13" x 9" floor tom. Anyone remember Tommy Aldridge and those monster 24" kicks and 13/14" rack toms? I miss those days. I also agree with what was said about little snares. Carter Beauford is a great drummer but his snare sucks *** and live it was even worse. Give me beef and punch to counter balance my bass drum and cut thru the guitars! I managed to get hold of an older 14 x 8 Brass Free Floater and with a pinstripe on it, it's a thick monster! A bit of a challenge to squeeze between to kicks though.

Over the top is the key to a good live production; big guitars, big drums, leather pants, long hair, and hot chicks that serve no purpose...that's where it's at!

Raymond Massey
04-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Yes! I agree it depends on your playing style music genre. Personally I've always liked bigger kits - like the fusion drummers of the 70's & 80's

2 basses4life
04-01-2003, 11:06 AM
personally. i like big kits. but i play metel,so i need alot of drums for the sake of sound(i bass with a slave pedel doesnt cut it) and variation . imagine what it would sound like if you played slayer on a four piece. sure theorettically, it could be done , but it would sound pretty bad.
some people don't understand that you need the right tools for the right job. i use all the stuff on my kit and thats all really matters. if i do a punk gig a 4 or 5 piece will do some genres of music do dictate the size of your kit as far as style is concerned and thats sad . fortunatly in metel, these style rules are wearing down ive seen 4 piece metel guys and 15 piece metel guys it's all up to you in reality

pj's studio
04-08-2003, 09:13 PM
I like Neil Pearts kit (with MRX's of course) in my basement. To much fun! :D - But NO WAY do I want to carry all that sht to a gig!

4 piece is plenty (three piece stinks! - GOTTA have a floor or mounted floor tom!) I vote small kit as the way to go!

Just my opinion - again.

Thanks guys! Good question too.

Dani-De
04-08-2003, 10:50 PM
ME like Big kit If ya moveing your kit every week then a electronic kit will be for you.

6 picer or bigger will be fine for me .my fav drummer below

Flattop1992
04-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Ah...........could that picture be any bigger? I seem to have misplaced magnifying glass! :) :p

Raymond Massey
04-09-2003, 08:17 AM
I think the style of music will help make the call - but just for drumming I like bigger kits!

pj's studio
04-09-2003, 10:13 AM
I'm not sure about the style of music Raymond. I'm not disagreeing - Sometimes big bands have 4 pc. small trios have 12 pc. and up.

I really like having an 8", 10", and 12" on top/in front/over the bass... but that isn't necessarily BIG. 7 pc. and up is; ((MY OPINION)) = WHEN A KIT GETS BIG.

I think a big sound is had from the drums quality, tuning and musicianship. Although, I think the showmanship gets increased with bigger kits.

Chic's that come to our shows would probably be impressed with a bunch of toms and big rolls down them... But others (drummers especially) would look on it like a crutch. "You need all those drums to sound good?"

I think big kits ARE FUN to play - just not fun to lug around. ;)

If a guy plays well that says WAY more than size of kit, kit color, tuning, depth and size of toms, stick spinning... on and on.

But I defintely vote that a Pearl shell pack with one extra tom is not REALLY a big kit. And that is actually a VERY fun set up! 4 toms OPENS up A LOT of possiblities!

Anybody agree / disagree?

Peace
PJ

frenchie
04-10-2003, 10:46 AM
First, I think it depends on taste, second, on the style you play.

I have enough with a 3-piece kit, and to ad more flavour, I somethimes use a cowbell and woodblock.

Having more tom's will not put more to your "creative feal" of playing.

Somethimes during rehearsels, my other bandmembers grab away my tom and floortom and crash, leaving me with basstom, snare and ride, this way they force me to search for another approach on a song, and it helps!!

I don't think that bigger means better playing, but that's my opinion. It's not the drum that makes the drummer sound good, it's the other way round.

:D :D
Blues is the roots, the rest is the fruits!

pj's studio
04-10-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by frenchie
"I have enough with a 3-piece kit...
...Having more tom's will not put more to your "creative feal" of playing.
:D :D

I agree Frenchie - If YOU dont know how to play nothings going to help you.

So, I like one bass
one tom
one floor tom
and one snare

Everything else is gravy - but it can be FUN FUN FUN gravy :D

If others SAY: Ringo's good - and Peart sucks.
Then I dont want to discuss it with them...

Tama Drummer
04-12-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm thinking of down sizing, to a 5 or 4pc with hi-hat 2crashes, ride, china & a splash with no rack.
It just feels too big & dorkey for some places.
I do use the whole kit, but don't really need to.
http://www.bstuck.com/jamie/drumkit/kit.jpg

Dani-De
04-12-2003, 05:17 AM
no dont are you crazy :eek:

Tama Drummer
04-12-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Dani-De
no dont are you crazy :eek:

why??

pj's studio
04-12-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm with ya Tamadrummer

Big kits SEEM to scream "Hey! Look at me I'm the great drummer for this band and look at all the space I take up!"

Your right on the mark and you reminded me of another reason I downsized to a 4 pc. - aside from not wanting to lug all that stuff around

I'm with you - although it is fun to have all that extra stuff when your at home in your basement ;)

vMOOnEYv
08-06-2003, 10:08 AM
i do play a four piece but only because thats what i can afford. i've played huge 11 piece sets and loved it. but i'd say what rules is Moons huge kit from the later days of The WHO. with two rows of rack toms and three rows of floor toms. maybe it was just a "tad" over sized. but in any given song he used every soingle drum. in the little solo at the end of "wont get fooled again" which only lasts 30 seconds he hit every single drum at least twice. But he only had 4 cymbals which was enough. considering he only needed 2 rides and 2 crashes. but i completely love that kit and would love to own oe like it. so to sum it all up, big kits are in for me at least

PinkSpaceDrummer
08-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Bigger is Better! I play a 7 piece kit and I WANT IT BIGGER! More drums means more different sounds! The Siamese Monster is the Ultimate Dream!

PearlDrummerPunk
08-06-2003, 10:26 AM
i use a 6 piece and i can honestly say ive never been so comfortable playing a drum kit :D

Anthony85
08-06-2003, 07:17 PM
I think big kits are a waste (in my oppinion).
Probably the biggest I'll ever need is a 6 piece...but right now all I play is a 3 piece because that's all I need.
I don't know enough about drums to want to buy a 7grand masters 8 piece kit with zildjian z customs as far as the eye can see.
I play with one bass one snare one tom a ride and a hi-hat and I'm satisfied with that...

DISCLAIMER!!!!!!
Cheese tates good!:cool:

deckreckah
08-07-2003, 03:39 AM
I guess its really up to the person playing, just how big they want their kits. Again, there are certain considerations when choosing setup size, type etc; (in no particular order);

:What type of music
:Where you hope to be playing
:How many people in your band

There are probably more (add some, if you like!). However, contemporary trends often reflect what type of kit is used for certain genres.I reckon though, its a completely personal taste. I have a seven piece (8,10,12,14,22 + (14FF brass piccolo, 12" maple) ). But now i use a 5 piece. The 10" as a rack tom, and the 12 and 14 as floor toms. Some people reckon that the sizes are unconventional, but hey, it works for me! I play alt-rock, and also groove metal. I see what other drummers use, in the music I like, but their setup, would have little to so with my preferred setup. If a decision like that is being made in accordance with your favourite drummers setup, I reckon you are cheating yourself. Alot of the more popular drummers all started out on smaller kits, and expanded (or downsized), over their years of experience. I guess if you can say you really and truly use all the components of your kit, you are a true drummer!

I whole heartedly agree with Full collapse on his space/setup time issue. If you are billed with about six other groups playing a small time festival, on a minimalist stage, your setup will dictate your level of sanity and safety!!Big kits, will earn you a cold and bitter look from the engineers(if there are any) and from your bandmates, if you only have 5-10 minutes band setup time. Anyone who knows these kind of sweaty cramped deals, know that if the guy before you has a big kit, and he is on his own tearing down, you become extremely irate!!!Its really about get on/setup/play/get the f**k off as quickly as possible

Sc1337
08-14-2003, 08:17 PM
I think 6 pc is the best number.. Not too big, not to small either... With about 6 cymbals... 2 crash; 1 splash; 1 ride; 1 china; Hi-hats

Fixxxer
08-15-2003, 12:41 PM
i think this is the biggest kit necessary!!

3 crashes, that good, big *** ride, and big hats, good sound, 3 toms, nice, 2 tympiny, good effects, Gong, always cool

looks good to me

DED
08-15-2003, 12:54 PM
I play one rack tom and either one or two floor toms depending on which kit I'm using. Basic cymbal set up is a ride two crashes and hats. Then I'll add or substitute things as needed.

At this point if I were going to expand my kit I'd want to go with different voices/textures rather than more toms. A djembe, timbale, or other odd hitables would be a little more fun, methinks.

tainteddrummer
08-16-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Full Collapse

And with the 6 piece kit with a rack...you must being playing shows where you set up and play for a half hour or an hour to something and there aren't any other bands. I'm talking bout playing a set and then getting out.

in my band i use a 7 piece 8, 10, 12, 13, 16 it's a punk type band.. i have no prob setting up my set and getting it on and off stage in a small amount of time .. c .. what us bands around here do .. is get all our **** out of our drum bags and have everything atleas 1 or 2 bands b4 our band plays.. then wen the time comes .. we quicky move on2 the stage play .. then move it off .. then we take our time packing it back up in a corner while the other band plays ... u should try it sometime... and the whole being more creative on a 4 piece is bull. i'd like 2 c some on a 4 piece set do a bozzio type ostinado solo... it sould b lame only having 2 toms 2 make sounds on .. and with ur other hand doing stuff.. u can't press on the drum head w/ that hand 2 change the pitch.

Opoe
08-24-2003, 09:41 AM
You Decide

cryptkeeper666
08-26-2003, 04:33 PM
i definetly say big kits are in. i think it's more fun to play when you have more stuff to play on.

cryptkeeper666
08-26-2003, 04:53 PM
sorry. that link was kinda messed up. i'm new to the site and i don't know anything about doing this so let me try again.

http://www.geocities.com/devincanady/SIC.html

Alex Bishop
08-27-2003, 12:51 AM
I play club gigs with a six pc and find it no problem

I would loooooooovvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee a huge kit., something like slipknot1s

big kits are going out, medium kits r bak (5pc)

I was surprised how well bass snare and hi hats does work with msome of my bands songs

xaerospace
08-27-2003, 12:19 PM
I don't fully agree on the club gig argument. I lug around 5 toms, 2 snares, 1 bass drum and a bag full of hardware. We play 5 or more gigs a month, all with around 30 or 40 min sets and I am usually setup and ready to play long before the guitarist. Like others have said, you set the gear up during the other bands and break down off stage somewhere. Nothing bugs me more than a drummer setting his kit up on stage, then breaking it down on stage. Can you take a longer to get out of my way??

And regardless of how big the kit is, the thing that really makes me in awe is the chops. If you don't have chops, all the drums in the world aren't going to make me watch you. But if you have great chops and are creative and articulate, then you will have my attention for days to come.

Just my .02

jon
08-27-2003, 08:50 PM
if you said that big kits are outa style then i have to say COMMON! when you see a band like KISS or someone play and the drummer has 2 bass drums and 4 or 5 toms you have to admit. it looks awesome! but the other view is 5 piece kits look good too. i just say aerosmith and joey kramer's kit looked very nice. that's my view

Punch
08-28-2003, 07:19 PM
i use a 6 peice set in the band i play in. its more of a hardcore punk band, and the setup i have on both of the kits i use workd great for me.

MapexProM
08-28-2003, 10:57 PM
in my opinion, 4 piece kits look so stupid because there is a big gap in between small and floor tom. and unless you are going to use all of your kit it is pointless getting a massive kit. i prefer 5-8 piece kits.

dudme
02-05-2004, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by dblbassmassacre
why are small kits the thing to do for punk drummers? i dont understand.
i use a rack and a nine piece set up and it works fine, i couldnt imagine using less... i cant imagine using a four piece kit and i dont think that it would very well...specially with the rack tom-floor tom set up...

I think it goes back to the early days of punk and the notion that punk musicians shouldn't be able to afford the big sets and nice equipment. Punk started as an anti-establishment form of music, and was never meant to be pro, polished or well-equipped.

Unless you consider the Plasmatics, who rule!

Mokomakin
02-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Big drumkits with lots of toms are for drummers who can't play.
That is a fact. Jack DeJohhnette (God) has big kit like some other jazz drummers aswell but they have their reasons. Jack is playing melodies with his kit and he is god so he has right to do what ever he wants.

This big kit thing is just some fashion that everyone has to have big kits and soon we will forget that kit doesn't make a drummer, it is the skill.

You kids have forgotten how good can 4 piece setup sound. You can play even heavy metal with that size of kit and make it sound good. It is all about imagination and how much do you want to practise. More skill -> smaller setup.

dudme
02-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Mokomakin
Big drumkits with lots of toms are for drummers who can't play.
That is a fact. Jack DeJohhnette (God) has big kit like some other jazz drummers aswell but they have their reasons. Jack is playing melodies with his kit and he is god so he has right to do what ever he wants.

This big kit thing is just some fashion that everyone has to have big kits and soon we will forget that kit doesn't make a drummer, it is the skill.

You kids have forgotten how good can 4 piece setup sound. You can play even heavy metal with that size of kit and make it sound good. It is all about imagination and how much do you want to practise. More skill -> smaller setup.

I'll be sure to pass that on to Neil Pert.
Actually, it is all about preference. I do think that some people get caught up in the fashon thing, as in "The guy from Blink 182 is playing a small set, so that must be cool." This is the same thing as some guys who buy the big sets. I bought my set because it is what I wanted, not because it was cool.
And to me this argument is like the Automatic vs. manual transmission arguement. People hate manual transmissions until they learn how to drive one.
And yes, a four piece set can sound great, but it will sound identical to an eight piece set if they have the same drum sizes/heads. Identical.

Doug McQuay
02-05-2004, 11:50 AM
I avoided this thread for a long time. However, my answer is BOTH. I warm up on my V-drum back kit; practice rudiments on it; try to build my chops a bit (not to mention that if I wanna whale on my drums at 3 A.M. I can). Then with a simple turn of the throne I can play my 9-piece acoustic kit. Certainly not practical to gig with the whole kit(s) unless it's something like a 4-hour set, but even the setup of this whale could be simplified with smart mounting systems planning. I don't play Beatle's music...my kit suits my style. In the end, I have a big kit because I like the flexibility it provides, and because I can.

http://dia.wizardswand.net/Music/DSC00646.JPG

http://dia.wizardswand.net/Music/DSC00648.JPG

??
04-13-2004, 12:59 AM

No matter how skilled you are, unless your a magician, you cannot make 2 toms sound like 4 or 5.

I beg to differ....

drummerhead
04-13-2004, 04:31 AM
If you can use 8 toms and abaut 50 cymbals, I say why not...... but If you feel more comfortable with a small set, than you have to use a small set.... Whatever makes you comfortable..

pj's studio
04-13-2004, 08:15 AM
That's true - WHATEVER makes anyone comfortable behind their kit!!!

This thread was started as a question of "Are big kit's in or out" - I think that meant stylistically -or- in an MTV sorta way... but I'm not sure about that, I'm only guessing.

If you like a small kit; you'll save time and money.

If you like a big kit, then people are sure to notice you more when you are gigging. I know this from a few drummers I know.

But one thing is for sure;
a small four piece,
five piece,
six piece,
seven piece,
a Big kit,
a Neil kit,
or a huge Bozzio kit

It's all for fun and no one can make a distinction about what's right or wrong for someone else. ALTHOUGH - I think a few guys may have given some very sage advice here by refering to the size of the kit should be equivelent to the style of music your playing;

Imagine a light coffee house jazz gig with Niel's kit... (oh no.)
or
Imagine Neil, or Alex Van Halen or Niko McBrain with a four piece - It just wouldn't be the same would it?!

I think this is a cool thread, and technology has given us an oportunity to discuss comfortable big kits. Forty years ago big kits were almost imposible with the available equipment (yes it could have been done) but nowadays co's like Pearl have given drummers the opportunity to play COMFORTABLY (and effortlessly) behind HUGE kits!

I think it's great to have the options.

Peace to all!
PJ

p.s. I go between a four and five piece set up for gigs - but lately I've been thinking about ordering a 8,10,12,14,16 22 w/ two snares and a gong bass drum - and shoving the whole thing on a big rack, in my studio to just have fun with. - So, I think it is a very personal question if I can't even decide in my own mind what size kit is even right for myself!

Anybody?:confused: Am I making any sense? Well, I'm trying anyway. Good luck longs!:D

xerosleep
04-13-2004, 12:20 PM
The bigger the better for me! Small kits are sooooo boring to me. But I really love to use all the toms a lot. You have waaay more options for sounds in a larger kit. You can be way more creative.

I see a problem with people having huge kits and not using half it though. Even on these forums. I'm like "yeah killer kit I can 't wait to hear him play". Then I listen to some songs and I'm like "wth?? Where's that big drumset, he doesn't use any of it!!"

If you have a big kit and use it right then you have way more options for creativity and variety of sounds.

Korph
05-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Big Kits are always in...

soad
05-02-2004, 08:21 PM
there is no answer to that question, it's all personal preferance.i myself would stay with my 5 piece but add about another 6 cymbals.and it also depends on the type of music; jazz doesn't really need a big kit, metal or hard rock should have a big kit i think.

xerosleep
05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Wow cactus-eater that set rules!!

Do you have some tracks we can listen to of you playing it?

pj's studio
05-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by CallousedDrummer
... With small kits it kind of stunts your potential creativity, ya know?

DAMN! WOW!!!!

That is so COOL ! !

I love this website because of comments like the one I quoted here! I never thought that it was true but *BANG! - Something hits me on the head and the light bulb goes on!* - I think big kits
MAY
VERY
WELL
ADD
TO
ONE'S
CREATIVITY
ALSO! Thanks and Props to CallousedDrummer !!! WHOOO HOOOO!

It DOES change the way you play (like on a four piece you may stay on the ride more -or avoid certain fill types because you don't have the extra 'notes' or 'sound sources' to make the same statement - that you might make on a big kit. Or your fills may be One measure instead of Two in length... (We do play an ergonomic instrument - so hence, do we write our drum parts to 'fit' the ergonomic design???? I think these are VERY FAIR QUESTIONS for big and small kit players alike.)

I still think small kits are great for gigs (IMO) BUT for practice I think - BIG KITS ARE IN!!! I cant agree with you more! I noticed, for example, that my lack of a big kit has made me LESS of a thinker and less of a creative force in the music. Big Kits = Big sound! (Anybody?) I guess I started thinking that the drums SHOULD start being less of a force in the music (because that's what every guitar player will tell you and 90% of all singers, keyboardists and bass players agree (FOOLISHLY) that the drums should be in the back seat... ((So they get more limelight maybe?))

I wasn't saying this before but I am now... I need to switch back to a five or six tom set up before I completely stagnate on my five piece!

Thanks again Calloused Drummer, your comment is more controversial and meaningful than you may have imagined!:cool:

Any comments people? - ????
Peace
PJ

p.s. I should add that ALL OF US should be able to perform on a four or five piece! No matter what... it's the nature of the instrument - IMHO

madtdogs
05-04-2004, 12:35 AM
Bigger is better, the more you have, the more you can do, you dont need to use it all. Small kits are cool, its like this-

You ride in a sport compact car- small,tight, sporty, snappy, and just fun

You drive a big truck or a muscle car- big, roomy, impressive, a little harder to maintain, but its BIG

BTW- cactus eater- awesome kit man- damn. keep up the big sets, even if the sound guys haggle you about miking it!

pj's studio
05-04-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by madtdogs
...You ride in a sport compact car- small,tight, sporty, snappy, and just fun

You drive a big truck or a muscle car- big, roomy, impressive, a little harder to maintain, but its BIG

Another good one!:D

StixNSkins
05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
As was said before, it all depends. I've never been one to care about what's "in" or "out". I play whatever fits the music and space constraints I have to deal with. I have a really big kit (see my GLX kit pics) but I typically use a 4 to 6 piece when I gig. I normally don't have the energy or space to set up the monster kit. I also find that I enjoy playing on a small kit sometimes. Personal preference and what the music requires is what it boils down to.

cactus-eater
05-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys (and gals ??) for the feedback on my stage kit. It is not fully assembled in the picture due to space constraints. That's anoth cool thing about large kits...you can scale them to match your gig...or venue for that matter. Here's the spec's you've been asking for:
<p>
6 Tier Rack System, Custom Deep Power Toms, Opti-Mount Isolation with Pearl
“MasterCast” Hoops, (Expressed in industry standard, inches: Diameter x Depth)
8x8; 10x10; 12x10; 13x11; 14x12; 16x14;
16x16-Floor Tom; 24x18 “Virgin” (no mounts) Bass
· Arbiter 14”x5.5” 12 ply Maple Snare, natural finish (RARE, Hand Crafted)
· REMO Roto Toms - 6", 8", 10" w/double braced stand & REMO OEM Heads
· Pearl DR503 Rack System – OEM 3-Tier Design
· 22 Pearl PC50 Rack Clamps
· Gibraltar “Super Spanner” Curved Chrome Rack Tubes (3 - only 1 pictured due to space) (Vertical Assembly)
· 55”x 7/8” Chrome supports for “Super Spanner” Vertical 3-Tier Assembly
· 4 Pearl CH88 Cymbal Boom Arms
· 10 Yamaha Professional Cymbal Boom Arms (CH930 Short & CH935 Long)
· 1 Yamaha Professional 945 series Cymbal Boom Arm
· 2 Pearl ICON Rack Leg Post Clamp Assemblies for Boom Arms (PC100)
· Axis “X” Standard Double Bass Pedals (Billet Aluminum)
· Pearl “Eliminator” RH2000 Remote Cable Hi-Hat & 4 interchangeable cams
· DW (Drum Workshop) Drop Clutch for RH2000
· Yamaha X-Hat Remote Closed Hi Hat w/tension adjustment
· Sound Percussion Embroidered “Bicycle” Swivel Throne
· Evans G2 Genera 2-Ply Batter Heads (All Toms)
· REMO “Masters by Pearl” Resonant Heads (All Toms)
· Evans “EMAD” Adjustable Dampening Bass Batter Head
· Evans Nylon Bass Batter Head Beater Patches
· REMO “Masters by Pearl” Bass Resonant Black w/Pearl Logo
· Evans Genera Coated, Dry Vented 2-Ply Snare Batter
· 3 Pearl TH88I Tom Arms
· 2 Pearl TH100L Tom Arms
· 2 Pearl TH98S Tom Arms
· 1 Pearl TH88S Tom Arm
· LP (Latin Percussion) High Pitch Jam Block (Blue)
· LP (Latin Percussion) Low Pitch Jam Block (Red)
· Gibraltar A524 Rack for Cowbell and Blocks
· LP (Latin Percussion) Ridge Rider "ROCK" Cowbell
· Pro Mark "Stick Depot" - 3 total holding 1pr, 2pr, 4pr - respectively
· 14” Zildjian K Mastersound Hi Hats Pair (RARE Brilliant Finish)
· 13" Istanbul Mehmet "Empire Series" Hi Hats Pair (Hand Crafted)
· 6.5" Avedas Zildjian "Sound Effects" ZIL-BEL (High Pitch)
· 9.5" Avedas Zildjian "Sound Effects" ZIL-BEL (Low Pitch)
· 20” Istanbul Mehmet Radiant Rock Ride Brilliant (Hand Crafted)
· 19” Zildjian K Custom Dark China (Hand Hammered)
· 18” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Rock Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 18” Istanbul Mehmet Sultan Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 17” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Medium Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 16” Istanbul Mehmet Mamara Emirhan Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 16” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Medium Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 16" Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Medium-Thin Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 15” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Rock Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 13” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Thin Crash (Hand Crafted)
· 10” Istanbul Mehmet Radiant Splash (Hand Crafted)
· 10” Istanbul Mehmet Traditional Splash, Rock (Hand Crafted)
· ON RESERVE: 18” Istanbul Traditional China; 18” Istanbul Emirhan Crash; 14” Istanbul Sultan Hi Hats.

pj's studio
05-04-2004, 02:02 PM
Arbiter 14”x5.5” 12 ply Maple Snare, natural finish (RARE, Hand Crafted)

Where are the lugs on that thing?!?!? On the inside?!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Unique snare drums!!!

Thanks for the pic btw:rolleyes:

golferd
05-04-2004, 04:02 PM
Small - with large it involves too many decisions when playing. I hate thinking when I play. I do that 10-12 hours a day, six days a week in my business. I like a lot of cymbals though.....just incase I swing and miss I have a better chance of hitting SOMETHING... Seriously though - I play a 5 piece MRX black laq. kit and it gives me plenty of choices. Style, technique, fundamentals, and imagination are, in my mind, much more important that size. I usually go on the basic premise that for most players, less is more. You stay clean and make what you do mean something. But, like Monday said -- I could be totally wrong. (but I oon't think so)

cactus-eater
05-04-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by pj's studio
Arbiter 14”x5.5” 12 ply Maple Snare, natural finish (RARE, Hand Crafted)

Where are the lugs on that thing?!?!? On the inside?!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Unique snare drums!!!

Thanks for the pic btw:rolleyes:

Actually, the "Advanced Tuning" system is what tunes the drum.

Take a look at the following link: http://www.arbitergroup.com/atdrums
<p>
Click on "AT Explained" in the right column...enjoy!

yamaha_man
05-05-2004, 07:36 AM
too many drums on a kit is like too many good looking women.....honestly fellas....is there a such thing? :p

pj's studio
05-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Stoovey

Don't forget Mike Portnoy! He has actually expressed displeasure at Neil Peart's kit being significantly smaller than in the past, a true fact. Peart's kit used to rival Portnoy's when he had all the bells and whistles...literally. Now that he has electronics integrated into the kit, he has gotten ridden of alot. Still a big kit though...

GOOD POINT STOOVEY! Neil and Bozzio are also HOLDOVERS (not from the new wave BY ANY MEANS!)

The MTV trend has been to "lighten the load" w/ four piece kits - is it more a function of telling prosective bands! -

"Do Not waste our time with Drummers who play a big part in your band!" No Self respecting songwriter allows a drummer to be a big part in the music?"
- ((Which is BAAAAD news for us drummers - GONE are the days of Yes, Genesis, Rush...)

They dont want us drummers messing with the music (IMHO!)

Or is it; the music is going to be more 'dancable', 'foot-tappable', 'money-makable'...! The record companies dont care about good music anymore;

They
care
about
MONEY!
AND NOTHING ELSE... (trust me it's one or the OTHER for sure.).;)

PEACE
PJ

drummingguitarist
07-07-2004, 09:16 AM
I think both big and small kits are cool. Punk drummers sound good (I guess) with the small kits, while metal guys sound better on bigger kits. I personally would like to have a big kit (I use a standard 5 piece) with 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, and 2 bass drums, but until I can afford it, I can use my double bass pedal and 3 toms. Also I like kits with lots of cymbals, I would love to have at least 4 crashes, 2 or 3 splashes, 2 chinas, two sets of hi-hats, a ride, as well as some dark crashes and small crashes (14 and 16 to use as splashes)

assman69
07-07-2004, 09:23 AM
It IS possible to be somewhere in the middle. I have two kicks, but I consider my kit on the small side. 8" and 10" mounted toms. 12" and 14" suspended floors. 4 crashes, hi hat, splash, ride and china. I don't think its a monstosity.

Take a look...

MMX Man
07-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Bigger is better for me...more options and versatility. :rolleyes:

MMX Man
07-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Side Shot...............

MMX Man
07-07-2004, 04:11 PM
Finally

kctransplant
07-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Well, I have a 9 piece with 9 cymbals. I couldn't imagine playing on a 4 or 5 piece kit. There's just not enough options or possible sounds that can be made with a small kit, not to mention big fills...

32ndtriplets
07-11-2004, 09:11 PM
i think that most kits that are getting bigger is more in the cymbal area. i think that more people are getting more cymbals as opposed to more drums

32ndtriplets
07-11-2004, 09:12 PM
i think that most kits that are getting bigger is more in the cymbal area. i think that more people are getting more cymbals as opposed to more drums yep