PDA

View Full Version : finish scratched

MatthewWD
02-07-2003, 07:18 AM
I've got a 2000 (i think) SRX kit in a Teal lacquer color (I don't know the Pearl finish name). I had to use it for a few months with no cases and some of the shells got a little scratched up. Does anyone know a good way to get them refinished? Is there some 'drum refinisher' anyone knows in the mid-Atlantic area? I'm in the DC suburbs. Thanks!

drummerchick
02-07-2003, 03:44 PM
Try taking it in to Guitar Center. It's either in Arlington or Fairfax I believe. Have them take a look at and see what they can do. Good luck!

MatthewWD
02-10-2003, 06:31 AM
I didn't even think about that. I'm friends with the drum manager at the Fairfax store, and OLD friends with one of the store managers at 7 corners. thanks!!

drummerchick
02-10-2003, 09:36 AM
No prob. He really is a great guy too. I got a great deal on my Pearl piccolo I bought there a couple years ago. Sale price after the sale was over. He said it was because he loved my set and I was lucky to find a snare that matched the finish.

Good luck!

Prog Freak
02-10-2003, 09:15 PM
*pitching in two pennies*

If you want to do it yourself, thought, try Trick products. They make an awesome scratch remover. I had a couple of dings and marrs in my Session kick...took it right out.

SLIPKNOT1
02-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Alot of furniture scratch removers will work, even on paint. You know who is a great source of scratch removal info?, Movers. They scratch stuff all the time and cover it up.

drummerchick
02-11-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
You know who is a great source of scratch removal info?, Movers. They scratch stuff all the time and cover it up.

Amen to that!

zorno
02-11-2003, 10:25 PM
I have the same teal lacquer finish on a set of export elx's and if you look at them wrong they scratch. I'm not saying its the teal finish, i'm just saying I feel your pain. I'm glad you brought this thread up. I'm going to try some of the replies.

MatthewWD
02-12-2003, 06:04 AM
thanks a lot, y'all. unfortunately, some of it is beyond repair (thanks to a 5 year old who was trying to help). at least they still SOUND gorgeous. i think i'm going to try to get them fully refinished.

SLIPKNOT1
02-12-2003, 09:18 AM
If your not dead set of Lacquers, there some great wraps you can do yourself for ALOT less money. www.drummmaker.com www.sambarnard.com

MatthewWD
02-12-2003, 09:26 AM
unfortunately, i am dead set against wraps... at least on this kit, but thanks for the info... never know, i may change my mind

SLIPKNOT1
02-12-2003, 09:37 AM
Well here is a link to a great custom paint shop. However, you better have your car title handy to pay for it.

www.johndouglas.com

MatthewWD
02-12-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
However, you better have your car title handy to pay for it.

Yay! My car's paid off in November!!! *insert sulk here*

I just want them to look like they did when I bought them. Pearl doesn't do that, do they?