PDA

View Full Version : Snare Shell thickness

rosteve
02-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Can someone explain how shell thickness and plys work to create a snare sound. This all relates to a 6'' shell depth.

Example: 9 plies and 5mm thickness (w/rings) vs. 6 ply and 8 mm shell

Help!

mrbeaver
02-03-2003, 09:24 PM
not quite sure what you are asking bu more plys will make it higher pitched. reinforcement rings make it slighter higher pitched but it really adds more attack and makes the drum more focus. I hope this helps

SLIPKNOT1
02-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Snare depth will increase the "body" of the sound, it will make it sound more full if that is a good word to use. Thickness will determine the pitch. The more plys, the higher the pitch. Thats why most toms are only 6-8 ply and most snares are getting popular in a 10 ply or even more. Adding reinforcement rings will raise the pitch and increase attack. They really are no longer needed as true reinforcement rings since drum shells today are made so well that its not an issue of durability, its strictly a sound issue.

rosteve
02-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'm in the market for a new snare. Just wanted to know how to choose.

Sounds like the number of plies are not as important as the shell thickness. I am looking at 6'' shells, that why the question was posed that way.

I need a snare that will sound good from ballads to upbeat pop songs. I have an acoustic playing lead singer w/electric 2nd guitar and then a bass player. Really a full sounding, sound. I'm miked all the time, but still would like a warm, cutting, full sounding snare.

mrbeaver
02-03-2003, 10:36 PM
hmmm im thinking a 13x6 maybe