PDA

View Full Version : Brass Sensitone

mykl8180
02-03-2003, 07:31 PM
I recently purchased a used Brass Sensitone snare. I just got the snare in the mail today. I was anxiously awaiting it's arrival so I tore right into to box. To my dismay there are several large spot of tarnish along the outside of the shell. There are also many smaller spots which are barely visible on the shell and even some small spots on the hoops. I have never owned a brass snare before so I have no idea how to remove the tarish spots safely. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mr. Possibility
02-03-2003, 08:01 PM
I would suggest getting some cymbal cleaner or brass polish (basically the same thing). But I am not a metal cleaning expert, so wait for others to answer before you do something.

fatboy46
02-05-2003, 11:38 AM
that means the lacquer has come of..in those spots.. either leave it alone.. ( it is used).. or clean it and polish it wash it down..dry it.. and spray another coat of clear on it. see your hardware store on the stuff u can get to get the old finish off, Brasso, Flitz even chrome polish will clean and shine.. make sure it is CLEAN of any polish rsidue, and dry.. then spray with a new coat of clear lacquer.. looks good, lasts a long time..

mykl8180
02-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the replies. I got some Brasso tonight and I plan on trying to polish the drum this weekend. Fatboy46 you mentioned coating it with a clear lacquer after polishing it. What type of lacquer would you suggest using and where can I can it? What would happen if I just polished it without using the lacquer afterwards. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

fatboy46
02-06-2003, 09:23 AM
myk..polish and no lacquer will let the drum acquire a 'patina' like sterling silver.. the lacquer merely keeps the shine and stops the brass from tarnishing.. visit your local hardware store ( NOT Walmart/Kmart/Target).. tell the guy waht your are 'painting'.. you want to protect your polished brass.. he'll show you REAL lacquer and the new stuff.. the real stuff wont last as long.. but touches up easlily.. the new stuff is tougher.. but harder to touch up..go for the new stuff..