PDA

View Full Version : sensitone or free floater ...5"or 6.5" HELP

nickyd
02-02-2003, 12:45 AM
i've decided on a brass shelled snare.now i need to see which one a free floater or a sensitone. and the dept....5" or 6.5." i'm leaning toward the 6.5"dept i think it may sound nice.but i need help. PLEASE MY FEELOW SKIN POUNDERS.

mrbeaver
02-02-2003, 12:03 PM
Free floater if price isnt a huge issue

PearlMan
02-02-2003, 02:08 PM
I'd say freefloater too, however if price IS an issue than the sensitone in really good too.

broken_origin
02-02-2003, 06:00 PM
I had the same thing goin on. I wanted to add a good brass shelled snare to my arsenal. I just needed that throaty fat sound sometimes. So i went an checked out the snares at GC. I played a brass sensitone (5.5 deep), a brass free floater 6.5 deep, a steve ferrone (same), a stewart copeland sig (5) and a Yamaha brass 14x6.5. I eliminated the ferrone (too much of a honk, sounded almost flabby), the stweart copeland (GREAT GREAT GREAT snare, just not enough depth to it, but I want one SOOOO bad now, so clean and crisp souding). then it was bt the free floater and the Yammy. The Yamaha won hands down. The free floater just sounded dead too me. All free floaters sound that way to my ears. Just no life to them. The yamaha sounded BEAUTIFUL. Much pricier but still a much better snare. I would say at least hunt down a yamaha brass and try it out. If you must stay with pearl though i would recommend the sensitone wth full confidence, a very good snare.
Later,
Michael Glawson