PDA

View Full Version : Building your own snare drum

Beed
02-02-2003, 12:40 AM
Hey Everyone

Has anyone here have built your own snare? If so, was it a success? Was it worth your time and effort? Was it difficult to make? Would you do it again?

Thanks

broken ride maker
03-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Hay their, i have made my own snar drum. And it was a SUCESS! I made the shell out of a piee 0f 6.5x14" PVC shell. Heres a pic, and if you want some more information just PM me.

rockdrummer00
03-03-2003, 04:17 PM
how does that snare drum sound?

broken ride maker
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
The snare sounds very nice. If you would, imagine the "impact" of a metal snare, lets say a 13x3" piccolo tuned tight. And then take a warm wood snare like Terry Bozzio's cravitto. It has both of those, as i like to say, impact with depth. And ofcourse with 4 2 1/2 vents it hits loud. Its exactly what i wanted.

rockdrummer00
03-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by broken ride maker
The snare sounds very nice. If you would, imagine the "impact" of a metal snare, lets say a 13x3" piccolo tuned tight. And then take a warm wood snare like Terry Bozzio's cravitto. It has both of those, as i like to say, impact with depth. And ofcourse with 4 2 1/2 vents it hits loud. Its exactly what i wanted. awesome!sounds very nice but not durable,is it?

guitarra
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm thinking of making my own sometime soon. I was wondering though, do you need gaskets to go underneath the lugs, or can you put the lugs directly on the wood?

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by rockdrummer00
awesome!sounds very nice but not durable,is it?

Plastic drums are very durable. They will withstand just about anything a wood drum will.

guitarra: You can put lugs right against the shell. The gaskets are to help isolate the lug from the shell to improve sound quality, but its not a nessicity and you probably wont even here the difference.

rockdrummer00
03-04-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

Plastic drums are very durable. They will withstand just about anything a wood drum will.

guitarra: You can put lugs right against the shell. The gaskets are to help isolate the lug from the shell to improve sound quality, but its not a nessicity and you probably wont even here the difference. it seems like the PVC would crack in half,thats an awesome snare drum if its that durable...

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 05:30 PM
There are no cracking issues. There are lots of plastic kits on the market. Most are Acrylic but PVC is still very strong.

guitarra
03-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the help Slip. I was thinking of making my own snare. It would consist of a 14"x6.5" 10-ply maple shell, plus all of the hardware. Cool thing is, if you buy all the hardware along with the shell, all the drilling and cutting, etc. is done for free. All I would have to do is put the finish on it and then assemble it.

Would be cheaper than buying a snare drum at the store, and I could make it the way I want it. We'll see :D

MisterSeth
03-04-2003, 08:19 PM
im also going to make my own snare.....not right now.......but maybe next year........i want to put my own NICE finish on it.......but i dont know how i would get it to look really nice like i actually bought it and didnt make it..........but it will either be a clear acrylic drum......prolly just a normal clear....or a not sure how many ply maple or birch drum.......

what would be better to crank high and have it crack A LOT.........

acrylic or a 30-40 ply wood drum?

MisterSeth
03-05-2003, 12:13 PM
anyone know?

MisterSeth
03-05-2003, 12:15 PM
ive decided im definatly gunna make an acrylic.....with 4 1 inch vents.....since i want to put a blacklight in it ...i wont need a finish for it....just clear acrylic....but anyone know where i can buy shells for it

1ordinary-guy
03-05-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by broken ride maker
Hay their, i have made my own snar drum. And it was a SUCESS! I made the shell out of a piee 0f 6.5x14" PVC shell. Heres a pic, and if you want some more information just PM me.

Hey there fellow Albertan!

Where'd you get 14" diameter PVC from? Can it be bought in small quantities? How much $?

Cool looking drum, btw!

zilflight
03-07-2003, 02:59 PM
was it easy to cut the bearing edges? I think it would be great, and pretty cheap as well to do a project like that, but the bearing edge issue kinda keeps me from startin a project. I think if some company just came out with some kind of medal molding that could go on square edges, and that would be the right angles for bearing edges. that would take all the hardness out of making your own shells.

broken ride maker
03-07-2003, 05:32 PM
zilflight & 1ordinary-guy:

well hay guys,

1ordinary-guy:I bought the pipe from Home Depot. I got it cheep because it was a pipe end. Just a scrap piece they had lying around. I only paid $30 dollers for it but if you were to get a piece cut for you it might be a bit more. But im not 100% sure of prices because im over here in e-town and it might be different.

Zilflight: Dont worry abou the bearing edges in my mind they are easier to do then to talk about. All i used to make the bearing edge was take an angle grinder and a medium fine grinding disc. I held the grinder insdie the shell with the disc facing the outside at a 45 degree angle to the floor. I then moved the grinder around making sure its moving at the same path as the shape of the drum. If you need any pics, or further instructions just PM me.

Drummer519
03-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Hey,
I keep checking @ Home Depot for some PVC in 6" diameter to make some octobon/quarter toms, but I can never even find piping in 6" diameter. And you found it in 14"! Does anyone know where I could get 6" PVC?

I'd love to build some different drums with PVC and just experiment but I can never find PVC that's big enough.

Hope someone knows of a place out there...

-Drummer519

broken ride maker
03-09-2003, 12:58 PM
Drummer519:

Hay their, if you cant find some 6" pipe at home depot, then try a industrial pipe supply store. Thats whare a friend of mine found a piece of 22" that he will be making a bass drum out of. Hope this helps.

phily05
05-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Drummer519
Hey,
I keep checking @ Home Depot for some PVC in 6" diameter to make some octobon/quarter toms, but I can never even find piping in 6" diameter. And you found it in 14"! Does anyone know where I could get 6" PVC?

I'd love to build some different drums with PVC and just experiment but I can never find PVC that's big enough.

Hope someone knows of a place out there...

-Drummer519

Hey. I know it has been a while, but, I just figured out a better way of finding greater diameters. I can get large diameters. I could probably build a kit. LOL. Well, I just looked in the yellow pages in my phone book at Sewer Contracters. Just choose one that looks like they would carry PVC.

phily05
01-29-2004, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Kay
I Have a piece of PVC pipe that is 12" in the inside. I was try sand it down to 13" on the out side so the shell would have been like Half inch thick. But i eventually gave up. Trying to sand it down just made they out side surface all wavy and such if you know what i mean.
Same here man. Sucks eh?

emofreak03
02-02-2004, 08:11 PM
I dont know where yall live, but where I live farming is real big. so we have big irrigation companies that lay underground main pipe to route well lines away from a well. I can 15" and 18" pipe like crazy and they carry all the way to 24". and they will just give me the stuff cause its extra that they have cut off and are going to trash.

Ronnie G
02-04-2004, 10:54 PM
I Have a piece of PVC pipe that is 12" in the inside. I was try sand it down to 13" on the out side so the shell would have been like Half inch thick. But i eventually gave up. Trying to sand it down just made they out side surface all wavy and such if you know what i mean.
I don't know whether or not it would mechanically work, but I think a faceted drum would look pretty cool. Know what I mean?