PDA

View Full Version : The Tom/Snare Conversion Project: Phase One.

RedHotMuDMath
01-30-2003, 04:17 PM
A few months ago I posted my ideas about making my unused 11x13" tom into a snare. I have decided that since my 14x14" Floor Tom finally arrived, I am going to go forth about this interesting little endeavour. Plus, I think my Forum could use a little more oomph, and a 11x13" effects snare would do just the thing! This is Phase One out of many, I'll be posting pictures of the process, and asking for your advice/opinions whenever they're needed. I hope enough people can contribute valuable information for it to become a good resource for anyone else who tries something like this. So without further delay, let's begin!

Phase One: Ordering Parts

I just placed an order with Midwest Percussion, (www.midwestpercussion.com) for the parts needed for this.

Pearl hardware:
13" 20 strand snares w/ cords: $8.95 USD
EX-ELX Complete Throwoff set: $21.95 USD
Evans Heads:
13" HD Dry: $12.95 USD
13" 300 Snare Side: $8.50 USD

The order went off without a hitch, no problems at all. But today I realized something: I'm also going to need a gated snare side hoop. Not thinking, I thought I could just place another order tonight for a 13" snare side hoop. But, it's not that easy. Not at ALL. A 13" tom has 6 lugs, and the minimum number of lugs you can have with a 13" snare side hoop is 8... BIG PROBLEM.

This is the first problem I've come across (first of many, more then likely, ha) in this project. The only reasonable (or at least halfway reasonable) solution to this issue is to have my dad take it into work (he works with lots of welding, sheetmetal, etc.) and cut gates in my existing hoop. The only thing that's "iffy" about that is the question of how structurally stable the hoop will be after it's been ghetto-drilled.

This concludes Phase One, Phase Two will start when the equipment arrives and I begin working. I'll be posting pictures of the whole process, also. For now, you guys can help me come up with a solution to the problem at hand with the hoop.

'Till next time!
-Pat

dblbassmassacre
01-30-2003, 05:56 PM
yo

hey man i think what your doing is really cool! the newly gated hoops should be fine if they are cut right, which im sure even i could do.

i own a popcorn snare and i cant imaginethe sound youd get from your snare

Butnutz
01-30-2003, 09:27 PM
you are gonna have a problem..unless you thought of this already...actually 2 problems...

1: will you be able to line the strainer/butt up properly?
ive never built a 6 lug snare thats 13" so i dunno if that'll work, but i dont see a problem, since 6 lugs=even spaces

2: you'll need a snare bed. you can find various resources on this at www.drummaker.com/talk
www.amdrumparts.com

you wont have a problem if you gate the hoop, it wont be a problem because the part of the hoop you are cutting has little effect unless it is cut like this ] so long there is a shape like this [] you wont have a problem

RedHotMuDMath
02-01-2003, 10:16 PM
*bump*

TLD
02-02-2003, 05:02 PM
I hope it sounds good. That's one DEEP snare.

Drumming Hobo
02-03-2003, 07:13 PM
If you wanted to not have to drill a hoop, get one of the pearl hoops for an old sensitone classic (one with claws) and some claws. Simply set up the bottom head the same way any bass drum would be, except you'd have to line up the throw-off and the hole (this is nothing major)

giantmink
02-04-2003, 05:16 AM
I actually turned an 8x12 Sonor tom into a snare. if you would like I can e-mail you some pictures and give you a few tips. It was a really easy project and it has been fun to play!