PDA

View Full Version : I. S. S. Backing Plate

Monday317
01-29-2003, 09:44 PM
Sorry if this is a bonehead question--I don't know much about I. S. S. tom mounts. What is the backing plate? Do you need to order one with each I. S. S. mount? I have a BRX kit on the way, and hear it might be a good idea to use I. S. S. instead of Optimount for the smaller toms. Always trying to keep an open mind!

Thanks, Kev

weps
01-30-2003, 09:18 AM
I THINK you are referring to the the main plate of the ISS assembly. The BT3 tom mount screws onto this and is likely why someone referred to it as a backing plate. When a BT3 is on the drum shell, there is a backing plate that is installed on the inside of the drum. The ISS do not come with BT3s installed when purchased separately.

Why would you want to mix mounts? Optimounts are great, in my experience. Few backtrack to ISS from Optimounts. Open mind, yes. Open EARS to the actual sound produced, MUCH better.

weps

DED
01-30-2003, 09:57 AM
Gotta disagree with you weps. . .I have a Master Studio kit and the ISS sounds much better than the Optimount that came with the kit.

I can't figure out why but it's a pretty dramatic difference. The odd thing is that my old Prestige Session Select sounded about the same with either mount.

To each, his own.

Monday317
01-30-2003, 10:44 AM
...from guys like PADman, et. al. that toms smaller than 13" seem to "sing" a bit better when hung from I. S. S. mounts, but that there is no audible difference in the sound from one mount to the other when toms are 13" and up. It has also been said that such toms will sound more open with SuperHoops than with die-cast rims.

It's true, I haven't had a chance to A/B the difference myself, but the conversion isn't all that expensive, and I thought, "what the heck, if there's a chance my kit will sound better..?"

I have learned the backing plate is a plate with a small badge on it to screw into a tom that had a BT-3 install directly to the shell. See, when you get an I. S. S. mount for the tom, you'll have three holes on the shell where the BT-3 was bolted on. The GK-90 plate is just a decorative badge to fill up those holes. The BT-3 then screws onto the I. S. S., which is itself attached to the tom's top rim.

I just had to read a little more, I guess...