PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the family

DWDave
01-28-2003, 10:33 AM
http://community.webshots.com/user/dwhodave

Just got a new 7x8 add to my kit guys and this set-up I feel is the most comfortable I have played.

Dave

ViperX
01-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Looks awesome Dave

DWDave
01-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks man.

I feel like I'm leaving a newborn when I gotta go to work. I just want to bang the drum all day.

Dave

drummerchick
01-28-2003, 03:35 PM
Very nice.

DWDave
01-28-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by drummerchick
Very nice.

Drummerchick... your mantra is one I could live by.... Thanks!

Dave

mrbeaver
01-28-2003, 08:20 PM
heh very nice although it needs to be a litlle more dirty to blend in with th other toms :)

crazypunkguy22
01-29-2003, 01:37 AM
nice

DWDave
01-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by mrbeaver
heh very nice although it needs to be a litlle more dirty to blend in with th other toms :)

Too much light I'm afraid gave the tom a lighter color but it is a spot on match. It almost looks pink in the pic. But its all cherry baby! :-)

Dave

drummerchick
01-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by DWDave

Drummerchick... your mantra is one I could live by.... Thanks!

Dave

:D

perin
01-29-2003, 09:52 AM
GADZ!!!!!!
SHEEEEEESH!!!!
that is the sweetest kit yet posted on this forum!!!!! Beauty mate beauty. I love ure tom sizes and luuuuve the cymbal choice and setup. Man for me THAT is the dream kit :D LOL

What style of music do you play? And do you actually use that for gigging? I wouldn't:p
Perin

DWDave
01-29-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by perin
GADZ!!!!!!
SHEEEEEESH!!!!
that is the sweetest kit yet posted on this forum!!!!! Beauty mate beauty. I love ure tom sizes and luuuuve the cymbal choice and setup. Man for me THAT is the dream kit :D LOL

What style of music do you play? And do you actually use that for gigging? I wouldn't:p
Perin

Thanks man... I am a rock, funk, blues guy and while the Satin Oil is awfully purdy... Stains do not take well to gigging use so no, I do not use that kit for gigs....It is my baby however. :D

Dave

perin
01-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Cool.
How was it buying from DW?
At some point in the year ahead I will be starting to look into a professional grade kit to bring home with me. I've been putting it off--marriage--babies--that sort of thing really gets in the way:D but I'm getting so sick of A: playing b- grade kits with old heads and crapy setups at the clubs, and B: coming home and realizing that I'm not doing THAT much better there!!! LOL----arrgh. Oh well.
Of course it will be either tama star classic, pearl session, or a DW.
Neway, was it a fairly easy process buying from DW? And can it be done remote, or would you be wary of mistakes happening if you weren't there to actually choose out ure stuff with them?

Cheers,
Perin

DWDave
01-29-2003, 10:59 AM
Cool.
How was it buying from DW?
At some point in the year ahead I will be starting to look into a professional grade kit to bring home with me. I've been putting it off--marriage--babies--that sort of thing really gets in the way:D but I'm getting so sick of A: playing b- grade kits with old heads and crapy setups at the clubs, and B: coming home and realizing that I'm not doing THAT much better there!!! LOL----arrgh. Oh well.
Of course it will be either tama star classic, pearl session, or a DW.
Neway, was it a fairly easy process buying from DW? And can it be done remote, or would you be wary of mistakes happening if you weren't there to actually choose out ure stuff with them?

Cheers,
Perin

Hello Perin,

Starclassics, Sessions, DW Collectors are all going to give you miles of smiles....

DW was a snap, DW does have this thing about being territorial as far as who sells their top line drums. I basically indentified the sizes I wanted and gave a color swatch of the color I was looking for. 3 months later... they were at my door ready to play right out of the box. For me, they were the sound and look I wanted and the hardware was top-notch but the biggest pleasure about dealing with them is their Customer Service practices. I E-mail them and I get an answer 24 hours or less later with my answer to my questions. I also know alot of other gigging drummers who have dealt with them and had nothing but fantastic things to say. That was enough for me. I had the opportunity to tour their factory last year and I was thoroughly impressed with everyone I met and just the overall atmosphere of the company. They are all motivated to build the best drums and hardware possible but also to improve their products.
But go into a drum purchase with a clean slate and play everthing within your budget. Its not like you are going to get a bad set once you get over the $500 range but the deal-maker/breaker will be the look, the sound and things such as hardware preferences and your dealings with the company if you had any. For me at that time, the answer was DW.
For you? It may be a different criteria.

I know about other things getting in the way... Before I got married I was living in apartments (not the best places for drums) and to help pay for my wedding I sold my old Remo set and I was without a kit of a year. It was the worst year of my life...... :-)

Anyways... Good luck with finding "your" kit.

Cheers..

Dave

perin
01-29-2003, 11:27 AM
hey cheers
One more question:rolleyes: -----hehe...
the clear evans on the toms--what is the difference in sound bettween the coated and clear heads. this will probably start to sound redundant but bear with me :D I know that they all say coated for rock and ect ect ect but on your kit---I need to get this from the horses mouth for once. Hehe.
On your kit if you were to put the coated of the same thickness, ply etc...what would it really change?
I'm asking cause in early feb I'll be recording in japan with my old band....it'll be somewhere between funk and prog rock if thats possible LOL, depending on what mood the guitarist will be in when he writes the material. Anyway, I wanna have as good a sound as possible(the last two albums were pretty hit and miss) and I am only just starting to join dots between sound in relation to shells/heads/tuning(ha yeah tuning :rolleyes: )
Anyway, that wasn't clear but in recap......if you were to replace your clear heads with coated ones of the same specs, what would the difference in sound be.
Thanks mate

DWDave
01-29-2003, 11:37 AM
hey cheers
One more question:rolleyes: -----hehe...
the clear evans on the toms--what is the difference in sound bettween the coated and clear heads. this will probably start to sound redundant but bear with me :D I know that they all say coated for rock and ect ect ect but on your kit---I need to get this from the horses mouth for once. Hehe.
On your kit if you were to put the coated of the same thickness, ply etc...what would it really change?
I'm asking cause in early feb I'll be recording in japan with my old band....it'll be somewhere between funk and prog rock if thats possible LOL, depending on what mood the guitarist will be in when he writes the material. Anyway, I wanna have as good a sound as possible(the last two albums were pretty hit and miss) and I am only just starting to join dots between sound in relation to shells/heads/tuning(ha yeah tuning :rolleyes: )
Anyway, that wasn't clear but in recap......if you were to replace your clear heads with coated ones of the same specs, what would the difference in sound be.
Thanks mate

Hey Perin,

The coated heads are going to be a bit warmer than the clear and the high will be slightly more muted on the high end. There is also slightly more attack with the coated and less decay.

That would be the difference for you.

Good luck!

Dave