PDA

View Full Version : Which set up?

WhiteFish
01-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Thought I'd start with a question....

I will be purchasing my first kit within the next few months (Got to extend the loft and soundproof it first!!)

As I had only 1/2 a dozen lessons many years ago I know I will have a problem with limb dependency...The problem is that I am right footed and right handed but when 'filling in' i hear the first downbeat in my head with my left hand only...(I actually write left handed)

Alan White (Yes) confirmed that an 'A' frame kit could be very beneficial to me in that I would never have to cross sticks whilst playing.

My question is should I go with the 'A' frame kit and the extra expense or purchase a standard kit and concentrate on gaining true limb independence. I wonder if I might not be able to achieve true limb independence.....Then I would be stuck.

Your thoughts anyone?

MadMax
01-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Why don't you try out playing at a local music shop on a standard kit see if you can play that and if you can get one but if you find it hard get the A frame.

rhythman
01-28-2003, 11:11 AM
I think that you should go with whatever kit you're comfortable playing. But no matter which one you do get, make sure and set it up ergonomically, build around your snare, hats, and bass, then add the other pieces after you get used to where everything is that you already have up. Still in all, you should try and build your limb independence regardless of what setup you have.