PDA

View Full Version : practice routine

brandrum
01-27-2003, 04:15 PM
hi guys fng here im new to the forum but not to drumming i was just curious about everyones practice routines as far as what your exact practice routine is ie how long , what do you practice and so forth sorry for the lack of punctuation

brandrum

Drummerorguitar
01-27-2003, 06:46 PM
i play for about 1 hour...i use my muffalers practice my paradiddles,rudiments and stuff like that

PearlMan
01-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Stretching, warm up, and then I usually work on some current project, like a new song, a new solo for next weekend's show, mastering a specific chop, etc. I like to just improvise too. I usually play for about an hour.

Ceiran
01-27-2003, 09:08 PM
I warm up with page 5 (single beat combos) of the book Stick Control by George Lawrence Stone, with Pro-Mark stick weights on my sticks, doing each routine 20 times, depending on how late my band mates are I go on to page 8 (triplets) and do these as many times as I can.

This is a *GREAT* book, I've noticed rather dramatic improvements in my speed and technic in the short amount of time I've been running through just those two pages ;).

Gord The Drummer
01-27-2003, 09:35 PM
practice everything, especially rudiments.... for as many hours as you can physically play.

bigshuby182
01-27-2003, 09:40 PM
I start with single stroke rolls, then to a RRLL pattern, continuing like that until i'm at 8 single strokes per hand. Then accents, foot excercises and whatever my instructor has given me to work on. After that I just play along to various stuff, usually blink, bad religion, green day, and sum 41. Total practice time ranges from 10 minutes for a basic warm up to an hour and a half if time permits.

thedrummer
07-30-2003, 05:14 PM
A good way to improve sight reading (and to a certain extent, chops) is to buy Ted Reed's Syncopation book. Work through it and orchestrate the various bars around the kit. Also, if you have heard of the paradiddle code (those who studied at Berklee/Collective will know what I mean) then use that with a metronome, increasing the tempo when you can do it perfectly. If you don't know about the paradiddle code, then I will explain tomorrow if you want me to.

But yes, Stick Control by George Stone is another classic practise book.

Psylence
07-30-2003, 06:12 PM
What's the "paradiddle code"? :D

Duck
07-30-2003, 06:14 PM
i usually just go down and jam fo like 2 hours.
play along with music and make my own solo type things. mixing up every kinda music into it

ViperX
07-30-2003, 06:18 PM
I usually play for about 1-2 hours. In this time, I'll play to music, screw around, work on my double basss with a metranome and work on the stuff that my teacher gives me

Awful
07-30-2003, 10:00 PM
I usially use my portable cd player and play along with stuff then i take them off and work on speed and more speed its pretty helpful ive been following it and have been told i was getting better so

DaveDrummer
07-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I warm up with rudiments

I start on the snare, then move around the kit, so its almost a little solo sounding. I get a little creative.

Then id work on what im working in my lessons. Usually a new exersize or beat or something

Then I finish it off by jamming to a CD.

B4 band practice I do rudiments. It helps.

Kmfdm
07-31-2003, 12:45 AM
I take the spüg approach. Rarely do I drum, and if I do its for at max an hour. I guess I just got lucky when it came to drumming

Anthony85
08-01-2003, 01:23 AM
I tore my kit down a week ago because I was getting cranky at it.

But what I usually do is practice what ever my teacher gave me for a while. Then I just practice the ruidiments and then I thrash it out and make a hell of a racket!

When I'm not drumming like just sitting down I do that Dennis Chambers excersise, but I'm still yet to use the phone books.;)

I don't know how long I practice, I use to clock up 2 hours but I'd much rather go for 4....I'm so slack.:(