PDA

View Full Version : Accessories for Pedals

DeadJotun
01-26-2003, 06:46 PM
i have iron cobra junior pedals and im willing to blow some money on beaters , springs etc. I know dw makes parts for pedals can i use their parts with my pedals to make the pedal better?

SLIPKNOT1
01-26-2003, 07:07 PM
The only thing you can really do to an IC jr is change the springs and beater. Just buy the springs from Tama though to be sure there are no issues. As for beaters, any brand will work. Tama, Danmar, Pearl, whatever.

DeadJotun
01-29-2003, 03:22 PM
sometimes i feeel like i wasted my money, but once i saw tom from killswitch engage play (uses iron cobra junior double pedal) it reasurred me that a pedal that is less money than others doesnt matter.

Dex
01-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Yeah, as long as you keep it up well, then any pedal can work for you.

I can play just as fast on my cheap Pearl Double Pedal as I can on two bass drums with eliminators (physics of 2 or one drums aside).

Replacing the springs is only really helpful if they are worn out.

Katiska
02-02-2003, 01:40 PM
Tama Website says that you can use IC "Sr." 's Speedo Ring With IC Jr. (HP200)
That should improve the smoothnes.

DaveLombardoRules
02-02-2003, 03:23 PM
Will changing the beaters on the Jr. make much of a difference in performance. If so I might look into buying some.

SLIPKNOT1
02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Beaters dont do much for performance aside from the weight of the beater heads. They mostly affect the sound. You can use any Beater with an IC Jr.

weps
02-06-2003, 10:19 AM
What are you really looking to change?

First, I have 2 of the forerunners for the IC light, errrr, Jr, that's it! The HP20.

It had the holes for the Tama toe stop. It did NOT have spurs on the primary pedal but the holes are there and tapped. I just tapered a point on the appropriate size bolt and use those as spurs. I really ought to put a couple small springs on them to hold the spur position better. You could also replace the beater with one with an adjustable weight, like the Pearl Quad head beater has. The weights used to be sold separately by Tama as a replacement part so you might be able just to add them. It makes a BIG difference in action.

TOTALLY non-standard, you could get one of those self stick foot pads. They come with different surfaces and shapes.

Have you had your IC Jr double for long? I have an old generic import (amazingly the same as a Gibraltar Rock series ;>) double pedal that was just plain sloppy after a couple years. I tore it apart every way possible and cleaned out all the oily goo that was on it (used bicycle chain oil with teflon). I forced wheel bearing grease into the captive bearings and the spring roller. When I reassembled it I paid careful attention to maintain tension ACROSS the primary pedal's shaft. It is made of 2 parts and has a bearing separating the primary from the secondary beater. Now I no longer get oil/grease on my hands during setup/teardowns, it operates better than new, & slicker than a baby seal in a bucket of snot! Oh, and I also repositioned the beater clamp arc pieces (?) to put the secondary beater as close as possible to the primary without touching so the secondary will hit closer to the head center and make both beater hits closer in sound. I'm using the 2 headed Tama beaters on this but plan on replacing them with the Pead Quads when I pick up a 2nd one. I used the Quad on my Tama HP20 single for about 3 years and really like them.

just a few thoughts,

weps

Full Collapse
02-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Save up and buy a DW pedal.