PDA

View Full Version : DR-80 rack

PearlMan
01-26-2003, 02:08 PM
I was just wondering how do DR-80s compare to ICONs. I've used ICON and loved it, but I've only seen the DR-80.
Is it camparable as far as quality goes, durability?
I like that there's no vertical posts higher than the horizontal one - that way you can see the the drums better, but you can't adjust the heigth though...
So what was/is your experience with it like?
Thanks.

drummingpilot26
01-26-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm curious about this also, anyone??

SLIPKNOT1
01-26-2003, 04:34 PM
The DR80 is just a lower end version. Still high quality, but a black finish and not height adjustable. It also does not have feet so in some situations, may ne be as stable. If you are not overly concerned with being able to raise and lower the height of the rack and are not going to be in a situation where it will be unstable and dont care if not as flashy as the ICON it will suit you fine.

PearlMan
01-26-2003, 04:42 PM
Well, heigth is not much of a consern, but what about those joints? Are they as reliable? How much weight can they handle?
It looks to me like they may twist, just because of the way they're done. Has it ever happen before?
Or should I stick with my current tom stand while saving up for an ICON.
Also - what if I buy just 1 section ( front ) of it. Does anyone have it?
Thanks.

SLIPKNOT1
01-26-2003, 04:48 PM
I would be amazed if you could put enough weight on to twist or break a DR 80 rack. As for buying just a front section, you cant. The DR 80 gets its strength from its 3 sided design. That is what makes it stable.

calumc
01-26-2003, 04:54 PM
I have a DR-80, they're absolutely solid. Personally I prefer the black finish, and the price made me choose it over an ICON model - only 30 more for a 3-sided DR-80 than for a 1-sided ICON. Height doesn't matter terribly to me either - the choice is yours though.

PearlMan
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
As for buying just a front section, you cant. The DR 80 gets its strength from its 3 sided design. That is what makes it stable.
Sorry, I meant the front section of the ICON.

As for the weight - I've got 2 toms and 4 to 7 cymbals ( depending on the gig ), but if I'd be buying a DR-80, I'd want it to be able to hold, like, twice as much, just to be safe and to know that I'm not pushing it anywhere close to the limit, you know - I care a lot about my gear.
But from what you guys have said it should be fine, right?

SLIPKNOT1
01-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Yes, you should have no problem with that amount of weight.

PearlMan
01-28-2003, 12:00 AM
Thank you guys for the feedback!

Tabla_Man
01-28-2003, 02:12 AM
The DR-80 is essentially the original Jeff Pocaro rack from back in the 80's with a few changes. It's very durrable and light weight.

The new Icon rack is a little easier to break down, and is fully height adjstable at every point.

You really can't go wrong with either. I've used the old Jeff Pocaro rack, and it was rock solid. The DR-80 won't fail you.

If you don't mind spending the extra cash, then the Icon rack has alot more features.