PDA

View Full Version : Chad Smith Sig vs Brass Sensitone

Drumming Hobo
01-25-2003, 07:11 PM
After playing both drums for a short time at the local drums and percussion dealer, I was unable to come to a conclusion about which one I would buy; they both seemed like sweet drums for good prices. However, since this was a store test and the drums were not tuned in the most ideal way (or tuned at all in the case of the Chad Smith), I'd like to hear some other people's opinions.
Which drum would you get (bearing in mind that the sensitone is $20 more and cost is an issue)? Why (I'd like to hear some reasons other than how much the drum "rocks")?
Also, whats the deal with the bronze sensitone, Pearl's catalog says it exists, but I've yet to see one. Can anyone give me some info on it?

broken ride maker
01-25-2003, 10:05 PM
Thats a good comaprison. A while ago i was in the same delimma, untill one day i went to the same shop and they had both snares out, but they were tuned to their best performance. And they were still pretty similar. But i still picked the Chad Smith. To me its a bit more of what i wanted. I also found that its sensitive, but at the same gives a bit more of a singing tone. And thats the sound i wanted. Hope this helps.

mrbeaver
01-25-2003, 10:43 PM
the brass sensitone 20 bucks isnt that much more but brass has a much better sound than steel it isnt so metallic and ringy

leafsfan7524
01-04-2006, 08:48 PM
I agree

TempesT68
01-05-2006, 01:24 AM
sensitone no question.

tarnationsauce
01-05-2006, 01:32 AM
I have heard both that a friend has. I like the Sensitone more.
Besides, IMO, "signature" items are childish and unprofessional.... unless it's a brand or maker's signature of course.
With that said, it is hard to deny the Chad Smith does sound good for a steel snare and it's price. Just not as good as a Brass Sensitone.

Funk Yard
01-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Wich Brass SenSitone is it? Is it the Classic II (the one I would have). I have seen Chad Smith playing both the SenSitone Classic II and the Brass 14 x 6.5.

iceo
01-05-2006, 02:11 AM
i like the cahd smith snare.i find it to be more sensitive and it has the sound i am looking for.

ct_7_05
01-05-2006, 04:15 PM
the brass sensitone snares can be bought at www.musiciansfriend.com for about $180 for the 14x5.5. I believe that's the right price. I would go for the sensitone snare too by the way. I love the way that snare would look behind my kit.

candersen
01-05-2006, 06:26 PM
i'd go for brass sensitone for 3 reasons:

1 - it's got a lot wider sound range compared to the chad smith snare. if you played all sorts of music (from jazz to metal) and had to choose to have only one snare, that would just be the ideal one.

2 - it's got, when tuned low, a wet sound which is one of the best snare sounds ever. really dark, low pitched which is great for jazz playing.

3 - steel is just too bright for me...

emprica
01-05-2006, 06:34 PM
sensitone no question.
The man speaks truth