PDA

View Full Version : Slingerland question

Axe
01-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Anyone know any Slingerland history? I picked this tom out of the garbage (no lie).........its a 15" with reinforcing rings, and I'm guessing the vertical thingie is the tom mount? If anyone has any idea as to the age of this drum, your guesses are appreciated.

varaflames
01-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Hello,
I had a couple of 1920 s slingerland marching snares that had the same thing on them and was told that they were meant for music
stands for sheet music when marching or in concert. The size on the drums were 16dia. 14 length. very big, huh? My guess is late 50's early 60's. What's the lenght?

Jack

Gord The Drummer
01-24-2003, 03:04 PM
why don't you look around the net for serial number dates? Usually comapnies can help you as well... so I'd say go to slingerland and give them the serial number off the tag... they should be able to help... if not, look for a fanatic.

Axe
01-25-2003, 12:15 AM
Its 12" deep.........I remember reading in MD countless times that companies cant tell you anything from a serial number......guess its worth a shot though

SyncopatedSteve
01-25-2003, 12:22 AM
You can DEFINITLY date drums by serial numbers.

Try actually emailing or writing MD, I've read numerous times people asking for information on a drum they have, and have given a serial number. MD usually can supply an expert answer to you.

gayguy
01-25-2003, 12:45 AM
im guessing that it is around 1930 or so but deffintly check serial #. i wish i could find a slingerland drum. have fun playing it

Axe
01-25-2003, 12:50 PM
Thanks everybody!

If I find out it isnt that old, I'm gonna take the wrap off and stain it for a little jazz kit I'm building, itll make a good floor tom.

varaflames
01-25-2003, 05:31 PM
Hello,
I don't know if your familiar with taking wraps off but I recently took a wrap off an old set of rogers and found that there are voids in the outer ply that have to be filled in which would affect the finish. I took the plastic off with a heat gun on low heat,
very tidious work. good luck.

Jack