PDA

View Full Version : Good, Cheap way to quiet my drums

SenorSean
01-23-2003, 12:02 AM
I just moved into an apartment complex and I need to know of a good way to quiet my drum set down so my neighbors don't freak out. I was told to put towels on the heads but that didn't really quiet them too much. and i don't have the money to by a set of practice heads or whatever. let me know if anyone has any good ideas. Thanks alot!

SLIPKNOT1
01-23-2003, 12:55 AM
"Sound offs" are the easiest and cheapest way to go. You can get enough to do all your drums and cymbals for $50.00 or less.

Ceiran
01-23-2003, 02:51 AM
Towels!

PilgrimDrummer
01-23-2003, 03:39 AM
You don't have to spend a lot of money on special head covers. You can make your own. Just go to a store that sells carpeting, and most of them will have the padding that goes under the carpet. If you're lucky, you can ask if they have any scraps that were too small to sell, but big enough to cut a muffle pad out of. This is also how I got my drum carpet. Got a 6x6 piece of industrial floor covering for $1.50 from the scrap heap at Home Depot. Same piece would have cost me $14 in the store.

krackbaby
01-23-2003, 04:22 AM
Fill the drums with crumpled newspaper. This isn't 100% silent but because you're still hitting drumheads, you don't sacrifice the feel. It's pretty quiet but not totally. It may or may not work for your situation.

SLIPKNOT1
01-23-2003, 09:54 AM
The only problem with the newspaper idea is its a hassle to get it out when you DO want to play loud. I would not want to have to take off my heads and re-tune them everytime i want volume.