PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha Flying Dragon Pedal

Deviant
01-22-2003, 06:17 PM
I'm looking for a fast and smooth Double Pedal and my decision has reduce between a Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive version and Axis A Longboards

It seems there's just few information about the Yamaha ones

I've heard some people saying the Axis are not very reliable and they break easily and I'm concerned about it.....I also heard they lack power...is that true?

about the Yamaha ones:

Can they be split and used as two singles?.....(I have a double bass drum set up at home but sometimes I have to use a double pedal when gigging)

Did you try them?... how did they feel?...

What do you think of the quality and speed of the pedal?

How is it compared to the Axis ones? (if you have tried the Axis)

What pedal do you think is better?

Please...don't suggest any other..I'm looking for a Direct Drive Double Pedal

thanks

varaflames
01-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Hello,

I have the basically the model only as a single and the model right before this one. Mine is a chain link drive. I have to say that I think the action is smoother than the Pearl I have which
is the p201p. The only thing I would think about as far as purchasing a single or double of these pedals as you've shown is
it seems to have a metal strap ie. pedal to beater. The old pearl,
ludwig, and ghost pedals had sort of the same thing. If you play out, on the road etc. and one of them breaks, which has happened to me, well you know. Thats why I prefer chain drive or flex straps
because you can fix them easily or be prepared to have an xtra
setup.

Thanks Jack

Deviant
01-23-2003, 07:54 PM
Are those Direct Drive links easy to break?

varaflames
01-23-2003, 10:37 PM
Hello,
From what I see in the picture is that they are built the same as all the pedals as I stated in the previous post unless of course
the pivot pins are made of titanium or solid stainless steel which the others were'nt. I think the idea is that not how long it takes but be prepared for when it does is probably why they didn't
catch on years ago, hence chain drive, changable on the spot W/
drum key version. I haven't seen these on the yamaha site as of yet but I'm always looking to upgrade ie. I have the hs 1100
hi hat stand w/ my beech customs. If I find anything any where I will post where to find it and the pros and cons on it as yamaha
sends me all their criteria when asked.

Thanks Jack

yamaha_man
01-27-2003, 11:23 PM
awesome pedal.

im playing the very same one in the picture. dfp9410. i love the direct drive..i was a double chain fanatic. i ordered a double chain flying dragon from midwest percussion, and they sent me this one by accident. thank God. the flying dragon pedals are really kickin ***. much better pedals than their older ones.

varaflames
01-28-2003, 09:12 AM
Hello,

#1- what is the metal strap or is it metal, made of?
#2- Can it easily be replaced like the double chain drive?

Thanks Jack

pearl-drum-man
01-28-2003, 11:38 AM
I'd like to try the Yamaha direct drive unit and see what it can do. Looks pretty impressive.

yamaha_man
01-28-2003, 11:40 AM
jack,

here are the answers to your questions, hope they help.

1. first of all, the direct drive is NOT an interchangable pedal. if you want a flying dragon pedal that is interchangable, get the double chain driven pedal, dfp-9310. its double chain / strap driven. the srap is simply a piece of nylon. it olny takes about 2 minutes to change over from double chain to strap. i own a fp-9310. same double chain flying dragon pedal, but its just a single. to me, the double chain has more of a "heavier" feel, than the direct drive, dfp-9410, and if youre used to double chain driven pedals, it may take a while to get used to the direct drive.

2. the direct drive "strap" as you called it is a solid metal piece, very light in weight, almost like an aluminum shaft. very thick...doubtful it would break. held on by two steel pins. one through the footboard, one through the beater. pins have two small bolts holding them in place. the direct drive is a much smoother pedal, very light feel, quicker attack than the double chain driven, because there is no "play" or "slack" if you will, in the direct drive. i love mine, but i guess its all about preference. i dont think you will have to worry about either one breaking, but if it makes you feel any better, yamaha is re-doing their web site in february, and its supposed to have all of the newer and updated yamaha parts listed on there, in case you need a pedal spring, washer, etc. i played a pearl eliminator for 5 years, and swore by it. they are great pedals. i dont really know why i switched ....maybe because i heard that Akira Jimbo started using the flying dragon pedal....but im glad i did. if you want a little more info/pics of the pedal, go to www.drumcentral.com. check out the yammie hardware....they have the best pics and descriptions of any other site around....buying one? www.midwestpercussion.com best prices around...i know that they are really selling the hell out of the new pedals....putting a hurtin on the other manufacturers for sure. any more ?'s just let me know. i hope this helped.

pearl-drum-man
01-28-2003, 12:13 PM
Wonder if these direct drives offer the same power and velocity of the cam shaped accelerator type pedals.

pearl-drum-man
01-28-2003, 12:14 PM
THey really need to re-think their beater design though, looks like its 1988.

varaflames
01-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Hello Yamaha Man,

I have a Pearl 201p and it's not bad, but beater is a little heavy. I also have the yamaha predisessor of the fp 9310 w/
counter weight. I have a HS1100 which is very smooth and quick,
that's why I asked about the foot pedal. I'm very into aestetics. if you know what I mean. I do like the old style beater though,
kinda in the middle of lightweight and heavy. I got Yamaha to send me all the new info as I have a beech custom 1998 in mint cond. which I outfitted w/all pearl die cast rims and tama starcast
mounting system and the toms and snare sound great. The rest of the set is all yamaha 900 series hardware Set is red apple 5 piece. Thanks for the informative info. I'm looking forward to seeing the new bass drum spurs so I can upgrade them also.

Thanks again
Jack

MikeB
01-28-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by pearl-drum-man
THey really need to re-think their beater design though, looks like its 1988.

I disagree. The Flying Dragons look awesome.

MIA_Drümer
01-28-2003, 09:56 PM
i do believe he's talking about the actual 'beater' part, the round felt cylinder that hits the drum, you know, that thing? :P anyhow I agree if they're going to go gung ho on a new kick pedal, they could at least upgrade the actual beater itself. maybe a 3 or 4 way beater like the mapex or pearl? i'm considering getting a direct drive... but if i got a flying dragon, i'd probably switch beaters

varaflames
01-29-2003, 04:11 AM
Hello,

I think what he is trying to say is that the beater looks old style
and it does and is. I've used the newer style beaters, ie. pearl, tama, and yamaha. No matter what I do I can't get rid of the double slap that happens when I use these beaters except on the pearl beater which in my opion is a little too heavy, but it still happens a little. It never happens with the good old style felt beater that drummers used for years before all this new fangled stuff came out. I started out with a 1967 leather strap gretch pedal, then a ludwig speed king, then ghost pedal, remember them, then a sonar, then some pearl, then a the a tama single chain drive, boy was that a big deal when they came out. One of the old pearls I had came with a direct drive so to speak only the metal strap didn't lay flat with the cam, there were two ,side by side, I believe like the old ghost pedal. the new yamaha's remind me of the ludwig speed king exactly on metal strap to cam setup which has been around since the sixties. I remember buying one of those for 30 bucks, new in the box. Well enough nostalgia, just my thoughts and opinions. By the way, 25 bucks was a good nights pay back then!!

Thanks Jack

malukoo
01-29-2003, 06:19 AM
:) I have a peral pedal, i think, that this pedal is impressive!:D

malukoo
01-29-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by malukoo
:) I have a peral pedal, i think, that this pedal is impressive!:D

my english...ooops..... i have a Pearl pedal, but i dig that yamaha pedal... i loock´s clean!

MikeB
01-31-2003, 04:54 PM
The Yamaha Flying Dragon beaters are the best! They give a good sound. They even feel better than Tama felt beaters while playing. And it should last as long as you play.

Ambion
01-31-2003, 08:07 PM
Axis pedals break very easilly. My friend spent 350 dollars on an Axis pedal and it broke within the first 2 weeks of use. Not a pretty sight. I like yamaha pedals but they feel slightly awkward, not very smooth. I personally really like the DW pedals, especially the 7000 and 5000. Haven't tried pearl or tama and I really want to.

Also, I think that belt drives tend to be faster than chain drives but i'm probably wrong with that, thats just my experience.

pearl-drum-man
02-01-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by MikeB

I disagree. The Flying Dragons look awesome.

The pedals do look great, but the beaters? LAME.

ViperX
02-02-2003, 08:02 PM
Those pedals look sweet! My friend has a single flying dragon and he loves it!

About the beaters, i agree that they look gay and they should use a new style for them

Metalist
02-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Did someone say their isnt a double pedel with direct link? because their is. model DFP-9410

MikeB
02-03-2003, 10:01 PM
They are the best beaters. Who cares what they look like. They sound amazing and they should last forever.

SLIPKNOT1
02-03-2003, 10:07 PM
I use wood beaters, but the only downside to those style beaters is the fixed angle. Its fine for softer stuff, but i you want a really solid sound, you need something you can angle to hit the head directly. Axis does that with there Sonic Hammers and Tama offers them in the Iron Cobra series in three different materials.

MikeB
02-06-2003, 10:03 PM
Wood beaters, eh? How often do you go through heads?

SLIPKNOT1
02-07-2003, 01:01 AM
I have never gone through a head. I use Kevlar contact pads. After 6 months, they still look new.

pearl-drum-man
02-07-2003, 07:56 PM
I have used danmar wood beaters, and DW hard plastic beaters for many years, never lost a BD head. The impact pads are essential though. They also hieghten the sound, especially if you're using a hard beater in the first place.

Jamie
05-25-2003, 08:29 AM
Is it possible to buy wooden or plastic hard beaters for bassdrums that will fit the yamaha direct drive pedal that can be adjusted like the IC beaters so that it hits the head directly with a flat surface? i want the fattest, attack full sound i can get out of my bassdrum for heel-toe.

TonyTheDude
05-25-2003, 11:18 AM
you can buy IC beaters with the shafts if thats what you mean

yamaha_man
05-25-2003, 02:29 PM
regaurding the beaters, yamaha does make a 4 sided beater that are more "up to date" but they do not come stock on the yamaha pedals....but they are expensive....id go with gibraltar....they are just as good of quality and cost a bit less.

Jamie
05-26-2003, 06:24 AM
sorry, i must have not made myself clear. what i meant was, do the adjustable IC beaters that Slipknot1 describes fit the Yamaha flying dragon pedal, and does anyone know where i can buy some IC beaters and flying dragon pedals for the cheapest price in the UK?
Thanks
Jamie

Siggedrummer
03-15-2011, 05:43 PM
AXIS pedals are NOT gonna break on you.. They are build like a f'ing tank man :).. Sure i have 3 of them double pedals, but one of them i've had for many years !.. Havent let me down !

Neko
03-17-2011, 11:55 PM
WOAH TIME TRAVELLING

over the stars~

scottevtv
03-18-2011, 11:19 AM
AXIS pedals are NOT gonna break on you.. They are build like a f'ing tank man :).. Sure i have 3 of them double pedals, but one of them i've had for many years !.. Havent let me down !

The post your responding to was 8 years ago, just so you know.

quicksticks
03-18-2011, 02:30 PM
sorry, i must have not made myself clear. what i meant was, do the adjustable IC beaters that Slipknot1 describes fit the Yamaha flying dragon pedal, and does anyone know where i can buy some IC beaters and flying dragon pedals for the cheapest price in the UK?
Thanks
Jamie

The IC beaters will fit the Flying Dragon. If you are truly looking to buy a Flying Dragon, why don't you consider the next generation Yamaha pedal. It's the 9415. It's a Flying Dragon that's been beefed up and is not plagued by the problems of the original Flying Dragon. I purchased a double DFP9415 in October of 2009 new for $200. It was my first double pedal and has been flawless. I was using a Yamaha FP850 single prior to the DFP9415 and have been very pleased with Yamaha pedals. My FP 850 has a beater that is very similar to the IC's.

theEZV
03-18-2011, 06:42 PM
The 9415s are long discontinued. The new ones are 9500. I have 3 Dragon pedals - dfp9310, fp9315, fp9415. Great pedals. I love the stock beaters and the quick hoop release clamp

quicksticks
03-18-2011, 07:42 PM
The 9415s are long discontinued. The new ones are 9500. I have 3 Dragon pedals - dfp9310, fp9315, fp9415. Great pedals. I love the stock beaters and the quick hoop release clamp

That wasn't the question. Jamie was asking where can he get Flying Dragons in the UK. He's obviously looking for a used pedal. He'll have an easier time finding a 9415 than a flying dragon. Also Yamaha abandoned the flying dragon name when the 9315 and 9415 came out. Your right. They are great pedals and with the hoop clamp your pedal is secured uniformly and quickly every time.

DrummingElk
03-19-2011, 06:40 AM
I think the OP made his choice... a looooong time ago.

quicksticks
03-19-2011, 08:26 AM
I think the OP made his choice... a looooong time ago.

Oops! I wasn't looking at the date. My bad.