PDA

View Full Version : It's about time I posted my kit here!

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Well, I have a new 14x14 floor tom on the way, (it's already been almost two months, they said it was going to be a month, but anyways, that besides the point) so I was just going to wait to post my kit after the floor tom arrives, but there's no chance of that happening soon, so here's my kit as it is now.

Drums: Pearl Forum 2001 model in Alpine Green
22x16" Bass
12x10" Tom
13x11" Tom (to be replaced with the floor tom on the way)
16x16" Floor Tom
5.5x14" Snare

Cymbals: Zildjian
13" K/Z Hats
10" ZBT-Plus Splash
16" A Custom Projection Crash
16" ZBT-Plus "The Chunk" Crash (note the chunk missing from it, haha)
21" A Custom Projection Ride
18" ZBT-Plus Crash
18" ZBT-Plus China

Hardware: All Pearl (almost)
DR-503 Rack
PC-50 Clamps (x7)
CH88 Cymbal Arms (x5)
S-70 Snare Stand
H-70 Hi-hat Stand (w/ Pearl Drop Clutch)
forgot the exact name of the tom holders, but the standard forum ones basically (x2)
PCL-100 Clamps (x2)
P2002-C Double Pedal (red cams, round plastic side)
Tama H170 (think that's right) motorcycle throne
Tama Stage Master mic stands (x2) (top portions only, put in the PCL clamps)

Heads: Evans and some Remo (not all pictured, haven't put the new ones on yet, still waiting for that floor tom)
ST Dry Snare
Remo Ambassador Snare side
Coated G1 batters (toms)
Clear G1 resonants (toms)
EMAD kick with Danmar Power Disc Pad (batter)
Remo Pinstripe Ebony with 6" HOLZ ring (resonant)
(the tom batters pictured are Remo Emperors, if you wanted to know... I just made the switch to Evans, and I'm glad I did)

Miscellaneous:
Shure Beta 52 Kick Mic
AKG Kick Mic Stand
Danmar Flame Stick holder
Remo Zero Ring for snare

Muffling:
Toms: Wide open
Snare: Small piece of towel taped directly under the batter head, under the Evans logo, Tension: Cranked
Bass: EMAD muffling; large ring, large towel rolled up and placed against batter head, small towel rolled up and placed against resonant head (best bass drum sound i've personally ever heard)

Anyways, now for the pics! I don't have them on a website, so it'll be a few posts...

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:31 PM
close up front view

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:32 PM
Overhead

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:33 PM
wide angle side view

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:34 PM
left side, close up

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 05:35 PM
right side, close up

JC
01-22-2003, 05:45 PM
Nice Kit man! Im digging it yo! i am thinking of getting the icon rack in februrary on my birthday, but im afraid i might not get it because my parents got me double pedals for christmas and that wasnt too long ago, i hope i get it though, i am planning on expanding my set cymbal wise and i dont want to waste money for cymbal stands.
I have an export 2002 fusion sed. Heres a pic of it.

SKiezws
01-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by JC
Nice Kit man! Im digging it yo! i am thinking of getting the icon rack in februrary on my birthday, but im afraid i might not get it because my parents got me double pedals for christmas and that wasnt too long ago, i hope i get it though, i am planning on expanding my set cymbal wise and i dont want to waste money for cymbal stands.
I have an export 2002 fusion set. Heres a pic of it.

Good thoughts on the rack man. There is only one ting to consider, tho. A cymbal holder for a rack is about $30, and a rack clamp runs about $20, so that is $50 for a new mount for your cymbal. Plus the price of the rack....
But then its your call. all i know is that I helped my friend set up his kit w/a rack and it was a pain in the you know what.

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Skizws - I can't say that the rack is the most cost-effective method, but as for setting up, it's a breeze if you ask me! The first time setting it up took me about 3 hours to get all the memory locks in place, right proportions, heights, etc, but once you have the memory locks in place, you can slide all the arms and booms right in place, no problem. It takes me all of about 8-10 minutes tops to set up my drums now. It used to take me about 20 when I used stands. But then again, a rack is a big investment, and that's your call if you want to do something like that, but all I know is that a rack setup definitely works for me.

pearlplayer16
01-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Dude , you gotta love the duck! sweet Kit redhot , i had a 16" zbt crashand it "chunked " also .... nice kit Jc , i have the EX's in Deep Blue .... anyone wanna help me post pics ??? ive had to much trouble trying to post them..

Fredzs
01-22-2003, 09:35 PM
redhot, where are you recording those tracks? multitracker? you should'v saved up a little more and got the Beta 91! ITS THE BEST! nice set! :D

RedHotMuDMath
01-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys, and yes I know the duck rocks :D. I bought that bass drum mic about a year ago when the band I was playing in was starting to get some bigger gigs that required mics (i was saving up for some more mics, but i put the money towards the rack and the cast zil's). Unfortunately, I've only used it 4 times at shows/recording. But, you know, it's a good investment, it doesn't hurt to have one.

The next big investment I'm looking in is probably some mics (after i replace "The Chunk") and then a PA head, because I have 2 Yamaha 15" PA cabs (you can see one in the picture, it's being used as a "baby amp stand" at the moment) that I "bought out" from the band after it split, but I still need a head.

Fredzs, I'm not recording anything at the time right now. I just set up the kick mic and overhead mic stands just for the picture to kind of "show off" everything. But I have recorded with the 52, and it's great. When I eventually get them on a site, (anybody wanna host the files for about a week?) I'll let you guys hear some of my stuff *shudders*

sk8drummer
01-22-2003, 11:01 PM
i dont know y. but i dislike racks. i just enjoy having the cymbal stands around and the drums in front instead of the rack. o well. everyone his owni guess

Maark
01-23-2003, 02:39 PM
Ok. Ask this calmy, I will.

OMG, HOW IS YOUR RIDE TEH MOUNTED? I'm considering a rack, but I've been having trouble on mounting the ride. You have it in about the same pos as me, so I was mwondering, how do ya mount it?

RedHotMuDMath
01-23-2003, 03:39 PM
It's quite simple, actually. You just have to get the rack bars at the correct angles (angles as in, how much of an angle the side bars protrude away from the front bar) and heights etc. I have my right side bar really, really low to accomodate my mounted floor tom. I put the clamp on the right side bar, then put the boom so it is paralel with the front bar. Trying to mount it on the front bar will not work at all unless you mount your ride super high and way far away from you. You can see it almost perfectly from the right side closeup view.

Hope this helps!
-Pat

RedHotMuDMath
01-23-2003, 09:21 PM
can i get a *bump* up outcha?

Maark
01-24-2003, 12:55 PM
Excellent!! ^_^

And now I can rest with the knowledge that my probably to-be-over heavy rack will be able to hold a low ride. =D

aaron_dude69
01-24-2003, 04:28 PM
hey JC how does the fusion kit sound in the export coz im lookin to get one are they a waste of money or a good buy?
Aaron

BIG_D_03
03-25-2003, 05:15 PM
redhot- where did you order your 14 inch forum tom from, ive been trying to find one for my set, but no one has them (at least not in black, musiciansfriend has them in every color but)
thanx

TartFuel
03-25-2003, 05:26 PM
that is one ugly reso bass head...

but cool kit other than that

SLIPKNOT1
03-25-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by SKiezws

Good thoughts on the rack man. There is only one ting to consider, tho. A cymbal holder for a rack is about $30, and a rack clamp runs about $20, so that is $50 for a new mount for your cymbal.

You dont need to buy new cymbal booms, you use your exsisting ones. You just use the top portion of you exsisting cymbals stand and clamp it to the rack.

RedHotMuDMath
03-25-2003, 09:54 PM
hmm, i just noticed this thread got started up again, i thought it was gone for good, haha :D. Anyways, to answer the questions asked:

BIG_D_03, I ordered the floor tom through interstate music (www.interstatemusic.com), yes, they were the only people I found that had a good price on black toms, but the only thing is that it takes about a month and a half for it to be shipped. I ordered the 14x14" floor tom and it arrived exactly 6 weeks later, and I just recently ordered a 10x8" tom almost 6 weeks ago, so it should be here any day now *crosses fingers :D:D:D*

TartFuel, I don't see what's really ugly about the reso head. It's just a Remo Ebony Pinstripe with a massive Pearl sticker and a 6" Holz. But I did recently install another 6" Holz to even it out a bit. But hey, to each his own, I personally love the look of it (I wouldn't have it if I didn't :D)

Oh and, I've completely reconfigured the setup, added new heads (Coated Evans G1's), purchased a new crash (15" K Dark thin crash in brilliant), completed my tom/snare conversion project, got the 14" floor tom, and by the time I post pictures again I'll probably have the 10" tom as well. I'll post pictures as soon as the tom comes in, it's changed a lot!

Cheers, and good drumming to ya'!

BIG_D_03
03-26-2003, 10:51 AM
redhot, thanks for the link. i ordered a 14x14 floor tom, and i guess ill just have to be patient. i hate waiting so much tho.

DRUMBOO
03-26-2003, 10:56 AM
the duck is cool i also like the stick holder .. where did u get that ?

Jeff Wald
03-26-2003, 01:49 PM
redhot, that has got to be the BIGGEST pearl logo i've ever seen in my entire life! very cool & very cool kit.

RedHotMuDMath
03-26-2003, 08:32 PM
glad I could help BIG_D! Boo, the stick holder is made by Danmar. It ran me about $25, you can get it from just about any retailer like Musician's Friend, Midwest Percussion, etc. But if I remember correctly you're not in the US, and I don't know if they have them where you live or not. And Jeff, that is a very huge Pearl logo indeed! I bought it for like $2.50 from my dealer, I think it's supposed to be for the marching bass drum heads, because that joker is HUGE! When I first put it on I thought it was going to be too distracting from the kit, but I like the look of it now. Thanks for the comments guys, and like I said, I'll be posting pictures this weekend when my 10" tom finally arrives (I hope) :D