PDA

View Full Version : Triggers?

fastft2
01-22-2003, 02:33 PM
hey , does any one know exactly what drum triggers do to the sound of your drums. also who is a great drum trigger co.?

SLIPKNOT1
01-22-2003, 02:59 PM
A trigger is simply a switch that is activated when the drum is struck. It will "Trigger" a pre programmed sound. It mounts on the rim or is self adhesive depending on the model. They are connected via a 1/4" cable to the drum module or "Brain". That device is what has the sounds in it. Companies that make brains are ddrum, Alesis, Roland, Yamaha. Companies that make triggers are Pintech, ddrum, Trigger Perfect and Yamaha. I prefer Trigger Perfect since they have a sensitiity control built right into the trigger. Nobody else does that.
As for brains, the best ones i have seen are the ddrum models but they are EXPENSIVE. For the money, you cant beat and Alesis DM5 or DMPro. Both of them are well under $500.00. If you are only going to have a few triggers and not a full electronic kit, i cant justify the money for a ddrum brain.

www.ddrum.com www.roland.com www.pintech.com www.alesis.com www.yamahadrums.com

crazypunkguy22
01-24-2003, 02:58 AM
i wanted to know what they were aswell and would they sound cool in rock coz if i have money i want to get some electric pads for my kit or some triggers

zilflight
01-24-2003, 12:14 PM
most triggers are small rectangular boxs that clamp somehow to the rim of your drum. as slipknot1 already said, these have sensors in them that can tell when the drum has been hit and how hard. they then send a signal to a "brain" which translates the signal into any predetermined noise. Personally, I wouldnt get triggers for my drums unless I also had drum mikes. I can see how it may be awesome to have both triggers and mikes on a kit at once, because of all the variability you would have, but I dont believe I would play with just triggers. unless the technology has changed, I believe the sensor can only tell that the drum has been hit, so therefore, you really dont need drums that are perfectly tuned, if you are only running triggers. also, Id like to add one more company to the list of those that make triggers. Roland just recently released, at winter namm, a set of triggers. the snare can even sense rimshots they say...

lildrummerboi
01-24-2003, 12:38 PM
i am aslo thinkin of puttin triggers on my drums i all ready have a modual just not sure of which brand to use i would like to expand the sounds of my drums

SLIPKNOT1
01-24-2003, 01:10 PM
I personally like Trigger perfect, as i stated above since they have a sensitivity control right on the trigger. They clamp to the rim so they can be removed with no tools and dont require re-tuning the drum when you take them off. ddrum is my second favorite but my problems with them are on the "Red Shot" triggers, which are there lesser priced version, they attatch via a tension rod, so again, you have to Re-tune the drum when you take them on or off. And on there top end versions, they clamp on the rim which is nice so you dont have to deal with tuning. However, they are HUGE and painted bright red and have XLR inputs which require HUGE connectors. From a visual standpoint, they are too much. Put one on a small tom and its all you see. There is no advantage to XLR connectors so i dont know why they dont just use conventional 1/4 connectors like other triggers. But they are excellent triggers.

Bostic
01-27-2003, 11:48 AM
I liked Trigger Perfect when they used to be Yellow. For whatever reason when they switched to Red as the color, the QA went down. I went through several of the kick drum triggers before switching back to the ddrum xlr's. They would false trigger or not trigger at all, even after adjusting the sensitivity control a few steps at a time. I thought it might have been my DM5 and a combination of bad cords, but I swapped out all the cables and tested all the inputs on it. I lent the triggers to the drummer in the band I share a rehearsal studio with and he noticed the same thing as me on his DMPro. He is still using his Yellow Trigger Perfects from 3 years ago. Adjusting the decay, xcrosstalk and noise on the DM5 would be a temporary fix, after month problems would crop up again. I don't move the set around too much, and when I do, I'm careful to not nudge them against anything. As soon as I started using the ddrum models, most of the troubles vanished. The XLR connection on the ddrum has one pin bassackward so you shouldn't use any xlr-1/4" cord or you'll end up with mixed results trigger wise. I normally have the triggers mounted around 5 and 7 o'clock on the hoops to minimize false triggering from rim shots on the snare.

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
I personally like Trigger perfect, as i stated above since they have a sensitivity control right on the trigger. They clamp to the rim so they can be removed with no tools and dont require re-tuning the drum when you take them off. ddrum is my second favorite but my problems with them are on the "Red Shot" triggers, which are there lesser priced version, they attatch via a tension rod, so again, you have to Re-tune the drum when you take them on or off. And on there top end versions, they clamp on the rim which is nice so you dont have to deal with tuning. However, they are HUGE and painted bright red and have XLR inputs which require HUGE connectors. From a visual standpoint, they are too much. Put one on a small tom and its all you see. There is no advantage to XLR connectors so i dont know why they dont just use conventional 1/4 connectors like other triggers. But they are excellent triggers.

SLIPKNOT1
01-27-2003, 12:09 PM
I have used Trigger Perfect for about 6 months now and they are black, not red. I have never seen red Trigger Perfect triggers anywhere, just yellow on the older models.

Bostic
01-27-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
I have used Trigger Perfect for about 6 months now and they are black, not red. I have never seen red Trigger Perfect triggers anywhere, just yellow on the older models.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and all four Guitar Centers have Red Trigger Perfects in stock for the bass drums as well as toms. Maybe the Black ones have not made it to the west coast yet? You mention you've been around many working drummers, I'm curious what the module of choice is with touring drummers? I'm outgrowing the DM5 and am either thinking of a DMPro or ddrum 4 brain. I like how the DMPro has the loadable cards to enter in your own sounds (since they ommited #8 SpeedMtl) and it's a single rack space, but the ddrum gets rave reviews as well. Right now I'm triggering only the kicks and snare but I'm thinking of adding in the toms since they always get buried live.

SLIPKNOT1
01-27-2003, 12:45 PM
The bands i toured with that used triggers or pads were Korn, Linkin Park, Rob Zombie and Distured. Linkin Park used two DM5's, John Tempesta (Rob Zombie) used an older ddrum unit, Disturbed uses a DM5 and Korn uses the new ddrum module.

I bought my Trigger perfects at a Guitar Center out here. I will have to look and see if they are red now.

freelove-jr
01-28-2003, 04:39 PM
I recently purchased the Ddrum 4 SE module with their acoustic triggers(not the Red Shot) and cables. These work fantastic!! There is no double triggering, no crosstalk, and the sounds are top notch. The best is that you don't have to muffle your acoustic drums at all with these and they just lightly press against the head, so basically little to no effect on acoustic sound.

I bought mine through gearhead-music - about $300 cheaper than Musicians Friend.

The SE model comes with sounds recorded by Dennis Chambers, Kenny Arnoff, Mel Gainor, and Simon Phillips plus a whole cd with more sounds to load if you want to.

That is the great thing about Ddrums, you can actually erase sounds, and put new ones on. They come with a cd that has ~1500 sounds on it so you can restore it back to factory if you need to. I dropped all of the cymbal sounds to make room for more tom and kick sounds since I am playing real cymbals.

SLIPKNOT1
01-28-2003, 05:29 PM
Trigger Perfect triggers have a contact area the size if a dime, actually LESS then ddrum. So there is no muffling whatsoever. Cross talk and double triggering is not always going to happen with even cheap triggers, its something that can happen and if it does, unless you use Trigger Perfect, you need to adjust sensitivity through the module instead of the trigger itself.

ddrum makes great module's, but if you just want to add a few sounds as an enhancement and are not trying to completley change the sound of your kit, they are kind of overkill. You could get a DM Pro, 5 triggers, 4 pads and cables for less then a ddrum 4SE module alone.

As far as the best price on ddrum. On the net, Musiciansbuy.com has everyone beat. You can get the ddrum 4SE with 5 of the top end ddrum trigger for $1,149. They wont list the price on there site, they have a feature that will instantly email you the price, this way other companies with a "We will beat any ADVERTISED price" cant compete with them.
My local Guitar center has the same package for $1,089. No shipping either.

freelove-jr
01-29-2003, 02:54 PM
I just checked with Musiciansbuy.com. Just the module is 1049, it is 1,398.70 for module, triggers, and cables. I paid just $1,275 for mine, no tax, no shipping.

I agree it is pricey, but I have listened to the V-drums, Alesis pro, and there isn't another module with the sound quality of the Ddrum.

I am using triggers in place of mics. I just pick the sounds I like, and then tune them to my acoustic drums and adjust the decay as desired, and I have a kit that sounds perfectly mic'd. The best is that it only takes 1 input on your mixing board.

Another great thing about the Ddrum is that there are 6 outputs and you can send just kick through one, snare through another, etc. This makes it pretty good for budget recording, too. Most modules just have multiple right and left outputs, but you still have to have the mix right coming out of the module.

SLIPKNOT1
01-29-2003, 03:37 PM
Then they raised the price, because he paid $1,149, and you never pay tax on mail order unless you live in the same state. Even still, Guitar center is the best option.

freelove-jr
01-29-2003, 03:57 PM
Yeah, if you can get it for that price, it is good. I live in Texas, and none of the Guitar Centers carry Ddrum products. Weird, huh. They carry Nord in the keyboard section, but not Ddrum. I had to go internet/mail order.