PDA

View Full Version : Steve Ferrone signature snaredrum?

totemspock
01-21-2003, 12:34 PM
I have recently played the Steve Ferrone signature snaredrum on my local musicstore. It is the best sounding drum I have ever played, I canīt describe it in any other way. Have someone here tried it, in that case what dou you think about it? Iīm planning on buying it soon, but I would like to now if there are similar snares that I might like?

Best regards!

oldmanjohnson
01-21-2003, 02:27 PM
I haven't played a Steve Ferrone snare but given the components of it you could also check out Mapex Brass Black Panther, and the Ludwig Black Beauty. I've also considered buying a Ferrone snare but never had the opportunity to play one however I have played the mapex and Black Beauty and ended up buying the Mapex. It has a deep, throaty, and extremely sensitive sound. But I think price wise you will find the Ferrone snare the least exspensive of the three. Hope this helps.

newark_snare
01-23-2003, 05:56 PM
ive played on one before and i think that their really cool. their really think and not for my style of playing, but i still like the sound it creates, and its very powerful also, so id say go for it, there pretty excellent. if i were you i would go with the steve ferrone sig snare.

totemspock
01-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think Iīll buy the snare tomorrow, iīll get back to you when I have tried it a little bit more:).
"think", what does it mean? do you mean "thick"?

Best regards!

totemspock
02-21-2003, 05:47 AM
I loooove it!! The drum sounds really good yes best iīve have ever played.

Drumming Hobo
02-21-2003, 06:39 AM
check out the brass Sensitone II Classic. It seemes to be identical from the description aside from the hardware colors. If they sound the same, then you could save a bit of money. If you are sold on the 6.5"x14" size, then look for one of the older gold Sensitone II Classics, the ones that come with die-cast hoops.

totemspock
02-21-2003, 07:22 AM
to late, I have already bought the drum:) I got a good prize too, including a protechtor hardcase! thankīs for the suggestion anyway!

Fredzs
02-21-2003, 09:41 AM
it sounds like a black beauty!

LGD
02-22-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by totemspock
I loooove it!! The drum sounds really good yes best iīve have ever played.

Hey! I just bought a Ferrone snare also. I had a little trouble getting it tuned correctly. I ended up buying different heads for it. What type of heads are you using and how do you have it tuned?

totemspock
02-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Iīm using the heads that was on the drum when I bought it. Remo heads, I donīt remember the exact model. It sounded great out of the box, I checked the tuning with my tama tension watch and it was nearly in perfect tune out of the box! The settings with the tension watch are: 80 for batter and 75 for snare. Best of luck!

BRIG6366
02-23-2003, 12:58 PM
I would spend the extra money and go with a Ludwig Black Beauty. There's something special about those seamless Ludwig metal shells. They seem a bit more lively. You can't go wrong either way, but I'd rather go with the original than get an outstanding imitation.

led1234
02-23-2003, 10:05 PM
mm those black panthers are nice... Im thinking of gettin a steel one though im not sure what size.. Either the 14 x 5.5 or the
14 x 6.5. What do you guys think?