PDA

View Full Version : danny carey

dblbassmassacre
01-18-2003, 01:41 PM
my second fave drummer

Fixxxer
01-18-2003, 01:51 PM
hes my favorite living drummer

i hope he stays that way, cause you know hes on cocain, or crack, or somethin....................

jddrummer666
01-18-2003, 01:58 PM
He does acid too. I dont think he'll die anytime soon, he seems too smart to overdose on drugs. He's an amazing drummer.

JC
01-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah, hes good. But if you want to know about technique and skill and still has a lot to live, then you want to check out Tony Royster, Jr. He took the "gold" (hehe) at the Guitar Center DrumOff competition when he was like 11 or something. Hes awsome man, have you heard one of his drum tracks called "Mort Pepper"? OMG you have to hear it! Below is a pic of him at the DrumOff Competition, observe how young he is, imagin him now!

Tony Royster, Jr. is just 18 years old and already plays like a professional. As the winner of Guitar Center's 1995 National Drum Off at the age of eleven, Tony competed against older, more seasoned players but emerged victorious. Tony's winning performance at Drum Off has led to opportunities, including sharing the stage with such notable drummers as Dennis Chambers, Steve Smith, and Billy Cobham. In addition, he has toured Japan with Hikaru Utada, performed at the 2000 Grammy Awards, and was a member of the Nickelodeon house band led by musical director Paul Shaffer. We had the opportunity to sit down with Tony Jr. to discuss his Drum Off experience, the impact it has had on his career and what's in his future.

MikeB
01-18-2003, 02:29 PM
Can't be smart if he is on drugs.

JC
01-18-2003, 02:32 PM
I agree with MikeB
Comon guys, what do you find appealing about doing drugs? All it does is mess you up completley, destroys your life. Dont do drugs.

Givechase
01-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Drugs are bad

ellioman
01-18-2003, 02:36 PM
It comes as a shock to me to hear that heīs on drugs!! :eek:
always imagined him to this "Drums are my drugs ..."
kinda guy! well you never know do you?

btw. Where did guys hear that he is using drugs?

Big King
01-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Hey, drugs dont make you a bad person.

TinyWrinkle
01-18-2003, 05:05 PM
Why do you guys think Danny Carey is on drugs?? Who told you he does acid?? He's a very respectable guy and definitely knows his chops...he's also fluent in other world music styles, he plays tablas along with a variety of other worldly percussion instruments. It disturbs me to hear you guys say he's on cocaine and what not. Do you say that just because he's in Tool? 'Cuz he's in a hard rock band? That's just idiotic.

benf
01-18-2003, 05:12 PM
Conversely... why do you say he isn't? Everyone who is in the music industry will do the odd line of cocaine or something.... its like having a brandy guys.

The Beatles did acid.
Led Zep and Aerosmith consumed vast amounts of drugs....

doesn't make them bad people. There is a gaping abyss between hopeless addicts who's lives have been ruined by smack dependancy, and the recreational user. Don't be naive guys.

SLIPKNOT1
01-18-2003, 05:37 PM
I have been touring for three years with ALOT of bands and i can tell you, there are MANY bands that are 100% clean. Its not like it used to be. Alchahol and Marijuana are the most you will see of anything. Who does and who does'nt use hardcore stuff would suprise you. Looks can be decieving.

MikeB
01-18-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Big King
Hey, drugs dont make you a bad person.

No, they just proove that you are a moron for getting into them. Any self-respecting person would not take drugs.

MikeB
01-18-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by benf
Conversely... why do you say he isn't? Everyone who is in the music industry will do the odd line of cocaine or something.... its like having a brandy guys.

The Beatles did acid.
Led Zep and Aerosmith consumed vast amounts of drugs....

doesn't make them bad people. There is a gaping abyss between hopeless addicts who's lives have been ruined by smack dependancy, and the recreational user. Don't be naive guys.

A junky is still a junky. People who do drugs for "recreation" should honestly just accept the fact that they are hooked.

teamsleepie
01-18-2003, 07:34 PM
so some one who does drugs once a week or so, and they mooch off their friends is an adict? I dont think so, and addict is someone, who begs and pleads, and will do anything to get their fix if they dont have any money. Addicts need it to get things done, and feel "right". I've never done any serious drugs, but because i've smoked marijuana BEFORE, maybe 3 times a month for a few months (not anymore), makes me an ex-addict?

dblbassmassacre
01-18-2003, 07:34 PM
wow, i can promise you that danny carey is not on any type of drug. have you ever read his interveiws? hes a genious, along with every other member of tool. Slipknot for example are all 100% clean!

MikeB
01-18-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by teamsleepie
so some one who does drugs once a week or so, and they mooch off their friends is an adict? I dont think so, and addict is someone, who begs and pleads, and will do anything to get their fix if they dont have any money. Addicts need it to get things done, and feel "right". I've never done any serious drugs, but because i've smoked marijuana BEFORE, maybe 3 times a month for a few months (not anymore), makes me an ex-addict?

Dude, if you weren't hooked why did you keep on going back to it? Becasause you liked it or you just wanted to. There is psychical addiction and psychological addiction. Pot smokers are psychologically addicted.

criticdrummer
01-18-2003, 09:56 PM
god im so sick of everyone that has this thought that marijuana has some sort of addiction..... stop this ***** and shut up about it.... this thread started with the guy talking about HARDCORE drugs..... ***** that actually HAS an addiction..... i would bet any of you so much fuggin money that if you knew a true pothead that said he was having thoughts of quiting, he would straight up quit without a craving of ANY sort..... example... my friend.... he quit, just randomly..... not since has he wanted to smoke up again.... just shut up all you people talking ***** on marijuana saying its hardcore when the serious ***** needs to be looked at like coke and crack and heroine and all that stupid stuff.....

and yes, pop bands DO DRUGS.... what the the hell do think... im sorry guys but this society has gone to *****.....its really rare to find bands that are 100% straight from drugs.... it doesnt take that much thought to realize it...

this is all my opinion here guys

Fixxxer
01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
im just sayin, but not incinuating anything..........

and DRUGS ARE STUPID!!!!!!! THEY ARE NOT NECESSARY!!!!!!!

me and my band write some tool-esque music, Mellow music, and were all clean

Big King
01-18-2003, 11:53 PM
Hey FIXXER and MIKEB....

Have you guys ever drank some kind of Caffinated Soft drink?

I'd also like to thank you for judging me before ever meeting me.

JC
01-19-2003, 08:20 AM
The main point is, YOU DONT NEED DRUGS!!! If you do drugs, then thats your life, I dont know the reason why you do it, peer preshure, relaxation (BS) ect. ect. I prefer to be 100% clean of drugs for the rest of my life, then have a ****ed up head. But thats just my opinion.

benf
01-19-2003, 08:51 AM
I said it in some other thread.... I'll say it again.

I assume all those who are anti-drugs, don't drink.

Drinking kills more people annually (in the UK at least) than alll drug-related deaths (bar AID's cases) combined.

You can kill yourself in one night by drinking to much. This is impossible with marijuana. You cannot become physically addicted to marijuana. This is not true with alcohol.

Why do you all go off and have a brandy or two after the meal, but not a joint? One screws with your liver, one screws with your lungs? Why not a small line of coke?

You cannot possibly preach against drugs unless you are all tee-total, and do not attempt to tell me that my point is invalid, because it is not. Alcohol (ethanol) is a drug just like any other.

Also.... do you guys understand the reasons that people OD on harder drugs?

Street drugs are very impure. Dealers put in anything from crushed glass to rat poison into Ecstasy pills, coke and smack. People can die from the impurites.

Also.... with the impurites, the drugs can be often only 25% pure.
Now say someone does a line that is only 25% pure. This person will take the line fine. Same person does a line that is 75% pure. He might not. Say someone is doing 3 or 4 lines of 25% pure.... he will be pretty high. Now 3 or 4 lines of 75% pure... and its a whole new ball game.

Anyways. I don't even do drugs although i have done on occasions...... i just get annoyed when people try and preach. Any one considered that people might do drugs recreationally, because the effect is good?

JC, Fixxxer, Mike B - ever got drunk?

Fixxxer
01-19-2003, 09:44 AM
im under-aged.........................so yeah, i have

this might make me a hypocrit, but i don't think alchol is a drug, however, i DO think marajuana is

Fixxxer
01-19-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dblbassmassacre
wow, i can promise you that danny carey is not on any type of drug. have you ever read his interveiws? hes a genious, along with every other member of tool. Slipknot for example are all 100% clean!

now i feal stupid, cause i think he is probably right, but maynard is the only one that i would even question.............and Adam makes some werid *** vedios..........

but then again, either maynard just talks like that, but ever heard a live show?.............He does kinda sound stoned

Peepdrmr
01-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Danny Carey is not on drugs. I'm not saying he's not a recreational user of some things, but a junkie he is not. And BTW pot is not a drug, it's an herb, like basil or oregano.

MadMax
01-19-2003, 10:08 AM
errrr I thought this post would of gone onto oh yeah my fave drummer is _________ and so on, what a unexpected twist.

Mr. Possibility
01-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Oh yeah, my fave drummer(s) is John Dolymian (sp?), Mike Portnoy, Dave GRohl, and a few others, dont listen to Tool much, but I am sure that Danny Carey deserves praise from all that I have heard.

benf
01-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Wait.... Fixxxer.... you've got drunk just because you are underage? (therefore consuming an intoxicating illegal substance that can kill in one night when used excessivly. a drug...)

But you ain't ever got stoned? (consuming an intoxicating illegal substance, that just gets you high, or at very worse makes you throw up and maybe fait for a while. a drug.)

How can you say alcohol isn't a drug. you drinking, is far more dangerous than you smoking a joint.

Just making a point... no disrespect man.

Big King
01-19-2003, 12:24 PM
"Alcohol is not a drug...."

whoah man, I almost laughed myself to death. alcohol is most certainly a drug. It's a depressant, same as barbituates and "downers"

I also laughed when dblbassmassacre said "Slipknot was 100% pure" I read an interview once about Joey Jordison doing multiple drugs while recording with "Murderdolls" and "The Rejects."

BTW, I don't do "hardcore" drugs. I drink in moderation, and enjoy a cigarette once in a while, and a nice cigar when I'm in the mood. I have tried "pot" a few times, but that was over 5 years ago, and i decided that I did not want to "go down that road." Point is, just because someone decides they want to take drugs, does not make them a bad person. 98% of all great musicians in the last 500 years were on drugs. Drugs have been used throughout history, and was part of religion for ancient mexicans, and people of central and south america.

"To all you people who don't like drugs, i want you to go home and take all your lp's and albums, and burn them. Just ****ing burn them. Becuase all those people who created all that beautiful music that has expanded your mind.... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal****inghighondrugs."

Rafiki8821
01-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Lets get back to Danny Carey. I think he is an amazing drummer and have seen tool live 2 times. They make really great music. So what if they are on drugs? Lots of musicians were/are on drugs. This is a drum forum not a drug forum. If you want to talk about drugs, make a thread in the chit-chat section. And about Tony Roster Jr, I think hes really good too. I saw a video of him when he was 12 and it blew me away. It's the only video of him I found on Kazaa though, does anyone else know where you can get free videos of him or any other drummer?(I'm not gonna pay $50 for a video, I'm sorry). there's another thread on danney carey that actually talks about him and drums. I forget who, but one of the people on this board know danny and can probably find out if hes on drugs.

Fixxxer
01-19-2003, 01:21 PM
yes his..........hes a modern Keith Moon, and his epic album Lateralus puts most drummers today (ESPECIALLY ME) to shame

MikeB
01-19-2003, 01:28 PM
Dude, I live in Vancouver. I think I know a lot of kids that are pot heads.

drumstickweaponry
01-19-2003, 01:40 PM
I live in abbotsford, near vancouver. Its Canada's marijauna capital. 75% of the people I know regularly do pot. Its not the actual drug thats bad, its really pretty light. its the path that becomes available once you start, thats the bad part. i admit, i have done pot (come on everyone, can i hear a BOOOOO), and i have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of time and money. it doesnt make you a bad person, or a stupid person. it just means you have made some bad choices. think of the motive: someone has a horrible family life and they are completely depressed, so they turn to drugs because they dont know what else to do. are you going to ridicule them about that? they havent made the best choice, but they dont know what else to do.

anywho, thats my view on things.

Kay
01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
dont do drugs, be cool, stay in school.LOL

ellioman
01-19-2003, 02:04 PM
Kay!

Thatīs The spirit!! :D

Letīs try to Skip the drugs and try to make this thread
about Danny! Heīs one of my personal favorites because
of his unbelieveble talent as shown in all tool albums!

I bought Ænima (Do you guys know what it means?)
and it took me about 10 - 15 listens to finally dig it
and love the music that tool makes, and then came
Lateralus which is a masterwork by itself!

ps.
Because of this thread iīm picking up my tool albums
from the shell and starting to listen to them again,
I was on a break from them but this thread made me
want to listen to īem again... :)
funny....

Fixxxer
01-19-2003, 04:24 PM
i think that Tool is the new THe WHo

dblbassmassacre
01-19-2003, 06:08 PM
ellio, thank you so much! i wanted that response, not this guy is on drugs....but they are not, download kazaa performances on conan or whatnot, they are geniouses, dont be pissed of because of that...

Big King
01-19-2003, 06:18 PM
I dont think you can compare the "who" to "tool". Different styles of music. Differnt Attitudes. I doubt if Danny will ever crash a car into a hotel swimming pool. I doubt if Adam will ever Smash a chick in the face with his guitar.

dblbassmassacre
01-19-2003, 09:48 PM
very true but i inteded this post to simply say that i like this mans drumming, along with my neil peart post...i just wanted someone to relate but no one will, all they really like doin is critisizing...

Fixxxer
01-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I am not compareing their attitudes, i am saying that the bands are very similar..........if you look at it

Keith Moon and Danny Carey are almost tied in skill, and one of the main parts of both bands is the amazing, uncontrolable, drums

Justin Chandler and John Entwistle are both amazing Bassists, again, some of the best of their time, and their fingers can move soo fast! They can make sounds basses useually inamigneable

Pete Townshend and Adam (damn, i forgot his last name) are amazing soloists, and know ecactly how to serve their songs, and have really cool riffs

Rodger Daltray and Maynard James Keenan are also similar, because both can shreak and sing subdally, also, they can both hold a note untill you just want to die............great singers

This is how i compare them

Big King
01-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Impossible it is, to compare tool to the "Who"

Going by what you posted, you could compare almost any 2 bands that way.

The Who had an "Attitude" that followed them on and off stage. No other band will ever be able to match that. I saw a vid clip of tool playing live. Adam jones standing their, Justin chancellor Standing there. Manayard was moving a bit. Look at the Who. Kieth was a monster, Townshend would jump more than 4 feet in the air while playing his solos. Entwhistle was the only "stoic" one on stage.

MikeB
01-20-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by drumstickweaponry
I live in abbotsford, near vancouver. Its Canada's marijauna capital. 75% of the people I know regularly do pot. Its not the actual drug thats bad, its really pretty light. its the path that becomes available once you start, thats the bad part. i admit, i have done pot (come on everyone, can i hear a BOOOOO), and i have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of time and money. it doesnt make you a bad person, or a stupid person. it just means you have made some bad choices. think of the motive: someone has a horrible family life and they are completely depressed, so they turn to drugs because they dont know what else to do. are you going to ridicule them about that? they havent made the best choice, but they dont know what else to do.

anywho, thats my view on things.

I heard that argument so many times. Its not an excuse at all. Its just like saying "I didn't know the gun was loaded." Everyone knows to seek counciling if they are having crisis. A lot of places do it for free and its confidential. Anyway, I think if someone doesn't have the common sense to know that drugs aren't good for you then they are an idiot and I couldn't care less what happened to them. Well, I would care but I would loose all respect for them and only feel really sorry because they are so stupid and desperate for change. But its not an excuse at all. You can always say no if you are offered drugs. No one has the right to force you to do drugs.

jddrummer666
01-20-2003, 01:16 AM
It's still possible for someone who is on drugs to be smart. I think that Danny Carey does drugs to get deeper into music. Tool do drugs. You can't deny that Pink Floyd didnt do drugs.

jddrummer666
01-20-2003, 01:22 AM
Yeah, SO many people smoke pot in BC. It's not that bad for you. Its about as bad for you as cigarettes are. I dont see why it's illegal (even though its about to be decriminalized here). There's really too much hype around smoking pot. If drugs aren't for you they arent for you. I dont do drugs but i dont care if other people do.

Drmerboy12
01-20-2003, 02:36 AM
wow..I've read many a nancy-boy reply in this thread. MikeB. I have respect for you because I've read some of your other replies and threads.Fact is,it's nothing like saying "I didnt know the gun was loaded". Next,if you don't like drugs,dont do them,but dont preach at the same time.If you're a vegetarian, for animal rights reasons OR for health reasons, fine.But don't push it on anyone else. Saying someone who tries pot once a month is an addict is absurd, especially when you've met some of the kids I have.I use pot, but not to escape anything,or to deal with common problems.I do it cuz to me it's fun(ny) and I like to laugh.Doesn't mean I'm gonna force a joint into ur mouth or anything like that. Pot in addition to about 9 or 10 friends will ALWAYS result in a memorable experience, good or bad, funny or serious.Pot does less damage than a cigarette does to your lungs and body. Also,using pot is an addition to your life's experience.When u grow older and have kids and he tries pot, if you've ever tried it or used it regularly for a time,you can relate,and have first hand experience,and know what to look out for.If you are new to it, you'll be **** out of luck except for inaccurate little statistics you've pulled from someone's ***.Bottom line is, everyone is capable of making their own decisions,and they themselves determine if it is the right decision for them.

TLD
01-20-2003, 03:38 AM
I don't understand why in this country, people can freely and publicly use drugs that develop all kinds of cancer, are marketed towards children, and liquid drugs that cause thousands of car accidents, one night stands, abortions after one night stands, rape, liver failure and mass death and you can buy all this in our local 7-11 store.

AND yet it is illegal to use a drug that puts you in a good mood, doesn't addict you, and most of the population uses anyway. If we have right to smoke ourselves to certain DEATH, I think we should have the right to get high.

ellioman
01-20-2003, 06:57 AM
and once again the thread takes a wrong turn.... maybe someone should start a thread in the chit chat section and call it "Dugs Harmful or not???" instead of ruining this thread about
danny carey!

just a suggestion....

Mohadiib1
01-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Y'all are funny. Yes Danny Carey is a good drummer. Whether or not he does drugs, who knows. Alcohol IS a drug. It just happens to be a legal drug. Anyone ever hear of prohibition?? I am 46 and have run the gammit. I drank for 22 years. I also smoked pot for 22 years. The drinking is what caused all my troubles, be it legal, physical, monetary, what have you. The only thing bad pot ever did for me was cost too much. It is mentally addictive, not physically. Peer pressure, man. That's where it all starts. I used to think I could play better when I was high, but this is not the case. And I have the recordings to prove it. I still spark a mamba every now and then, just not when I play my drums. And that doesn't make me an idiot, because I just passed my GED tests with a score in the 98th percentile of the nation. So, children, what have we learned here today??
1. Alcohol is bad
2. Pot is OK
3. Danny Carey rocks, whatever the case.
( Notice my good grammar and spelling? )

Braindonor
01-20-2003, 07:59 AM
I don't think you can compare Keith Moon to Dana Carey. They don't sound alike at all. And to whoever said tobacco is more harmful than pot is totaly wrong. Smoking one joint is the eqivilant to smokeing something like 10+ cigs. I don't remember the exact number. Did you guys know that caffine is considered a drug?

criticdrummer
01-20-2003, 10:55 AM
u know why so many artists drugs today? ONE sentence... cause they are AVAILIBLE..... same with sex.... i swear if any of you are in band and make as big as some of these guys, I garaunTEE you that u will be offered drugs and sex for FREE just cause u are popular.... thats how it is... this is one fugged up society.....

aenemic
01-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Braindonor
Smoking one joint is the eqivilant to smokeing something like 10+ cigs. I don't remember the exact number.

that's just plain dumb.

pot is not as harmful as cigarettes. that's a fact. ask any doctor. they will probably not speak well of pot, but they'll probably be smart enough to tell the truth. pot won't cause cancer. cigarettes will.

alcohol is also more dangerous than pot. alcohol causes a lot of damage to your entire body.

the only "damage" argument you can use with pot is that it kills braincells. but then I can tell you that every time you hit your head moderately hard, thousands of braincells die.

WTF
01-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Danny Carey does do drugs. Not that it should matter to us. It's his life. He's deep into metaphysics and what not.

I read that he came up with the drumming for third eye while on DMT. Dmt makes acid seem like candy.

On another note, you can't have an unbiased opinion on hallucinogens until you at least try them. They can improve your life. They can cure alcoholism and cluster headaches.

benf
01-20-2003, 12:19 PM
On the pot thing - in most joints you're smoking with tobacco anyhow, so you get the best and worst of both worlds.

marijuana does contain carcinogens that can cause cancer, but as i say, it is generally smoked with tobacco, so said risks are increased. People often quote the statistic that a joint it roughly equivalent to 4 cigarettes.

I guess if you rolled it pretty damn huge it would be.

Still.... I agree with TLD.... why be allowed to smoke tobacco, which doesn't really have an effect, rather than a joint, which gets you high whilst kinda messing with you inside a bit.

Lesser of two evils.

On Danny Carey....... hes good. Drugs matter not. I would be surprised if he could actually drum whilst on DMT...... thats a pretty heavy drug there..... but the man does have madskillz, so i guess anything is possible.

WTF
01-20-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by benf
On Danny Carey....... hes good. Drugs matter not. I would be surprised if he could actually drum whilst on DMT...... thats a pretty heavy drug there..... but the man does have madskillz, so i guess anything is possible.

I think he came up with the idea while on it. He said something about the idea of the beat was perfectly circular or something.

I can't imagine anyone doing anything physical on that stuff.

I've played on mushrooms, it's quite an experience.

mikebangdrums
01-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by aenemic

that's just plain dumb.

pot is not as harmful as cigarettes. that's a fact. ask any doctor. they will probably not speak well of pot, but they'll probably be smart enough to tell the truth. pot won't cause cancer. cigarettes will.

alcohol is also more dangerous than pot. alcohol causes a lot of damage to your entire body.

the only "damage" argument you can use with pot is that it kills braincells. but then I can tell you that every time you hit your head moderately hard, thousands of braincells die.

Um yeah pot can give you cancer, and it is as bad as cigarettes, anything that literally cooks your lungs will give you cancer, it's a fact. And alchohol is damaging also to your liver, brain, etc. I don't get the point in drugs, they're around to make you intoxicated, what the hell is the point in that?

aenemic
01-20-2003, 01:34 PM
read:

http://www.marijuana.com/Exposing_04_1095.html

mikebangdrums
01-20-2003, 01:54 PM
Marajuana.com, yep there's a reliable source.

ab
01-20-2003, 02:37 PM
1 joint= 10 cigarettes.

its a fact

ive never done anything like that, but thats why my health teacher and doctor said.

benf
01-20-2003, 03:39 PM
Ab man....... you are really in over you head. Joints and cigarettes are not fixed levels. For one thing.... you get varying amounts of carcinogens in differing cigarettes, just like you get varying tar and nicotine levels.

Another = a joint is not a set shape, strength, lenght, width or anyhting. You could roll a joint with barely anything in it... its not gonna be smoking 10 ciggies. The generally accepted level is a large joint is equivelent two approximatly 4 'light' cigarettes.

Furthermore..... I challenge anyone to smoke 20 of said sized joints in one day. One will give you the desired effect. A small but potent one will not damage you as much as having say.... 3 ciggies in an evening.

But why argue the fine points..... in the long run, smokers are far more at risk that casual marijuana users.

Once again......... back to topic.

Incidently... marijuana.com is perfectly reliable. Who is saying your websites that preach the dangers are reliable? Do those who preach actually sit in rooms getting stoned? Is that a fact?

dblbassmassacre
01-20-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Fixxxer

Justin Chandler and John Entwistle are both amazing Bassists, again, some of the best of their time, and their fingers can move soo fast! They can make sounds basses useually inamigneable

Justin chancellor i believe his name is. im not being an ******* and correcting you, im just wondering if thats who you meant because ive never heard of the guys in the who....at least, i simply didnt know thier names

Big King
01-20-2003, 04:53 PM
"cancer" is not present in tobacco, or cigarettes. It is a by-product of the "burning" process, since tobacco and pot are not "clean burning". When you light a cigarette it burns, there are carcinogens in the carbon and smoke, and this is where the tar comes from to. This is why cigs have filters. So yes you can get cancer from smoking marijuana. You'd be better off putting the pot in brownies, then you wouldn't inhale the smoke, which is where the cancer is. I believe this is why alot of people turn to other forms of drugs, such as pills, acid, powder etc....

Fixxxer
01-20-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dblbassmassacre

Justin chancellor i believe his name is. im not being an ******* and correcting you, im just wondering if thats who you meant because ive never heard of the guys in the who....at least, i simply didnt know thier names

yeah, your right, its chancellor, my bad

i really want to appologize to everyone, i was the one that mentioned that he might be on drugs, simply by saying i whishes he doesn't overdose

this kinda got outta hand, i would really like to appologize to Danny, cause i didn't mean to insult you like this

Drmerboy12
01-21-2003, 12:03 AM
And to whoever said tobacco is more harmful than pot is totaly wrong.

It was me, and I stand by it.Read the issue of TIME magazine with the picture of the joint cigarette case for proof. Nice try though.

Drmerboy12
01-21-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by WTF

I've played on mushrooms, it's quite an experience.
HAHAHA..I've tried that..best 15 minutes of my life...then I started seeing the notes coming out of my drums..that wasn't too chill...I wasn't very cool with that, or the headache that followed from my ears popping an my body not responding to it the same..but in either case...best 15 minutes of my life..

Drmerboy12
01-21-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by mikebangdrums
Marajuana.com, yep there's a reliable source.

HAHAHAHA...I'm on the other side, but that shut aenemic up pretty damn quick..

benf
01-21-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Drmerboy12
Read the issue of TIME magazine with the picture of the joint cigarette case for proof

TIME magazine... now theres a reliable source :P Jkz.

But seriously.. its right there... marijuana cigarette. Smoke it on its own, in sensible amounts, and its not gonna screw you up as much as smoking does. Smoke it with tobacco in sensible amounts, and its still not gonna screw you up as much as smoking.

Think about it guys.... most 'recreational' users, will be smoking with freinds (i.e circling a joint, and therefore not smoking an entire one). In a 'recreational' use, you might use about 3 joints worth entirely to yourself, tops, before you are really quite lean (stoned). The people who sit in their room's rolling joint after joint.... are being stupid. Its not fun without freinds.

But bottom line is this....... recreational drug use, is not an evil thing. It doesnt mean you are stupid. It doesn't make you a fool. As long as you all go out and have a few beers, or a bottle of Jack, or whatever.... you are in no position to preach otherwise.

aenemic
01-21-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Drmerboy12

HAHAHAHA...I'm on the other side, but that shut aenemic up pretty damn quick..

hey, watch it or I'll come over there and shut YOU up. only reason I haven't posted anything is because I haven't been online. some of us actually have a real life too you know.

and yes, marijuana.com is a completely reliable source. I'm not even gonna argue about that.

aenemic
01-21-2003, 11:51 AM
I'm just gonna add this (regarding the talk about recreational drugs):

I'm trying out pot mainly for recreational reasons, and to have a good time with friends. if I like it, I'm prepared to spend a couple hours every week or so and a lot of money on it.

however, I will never ever touch any other drug. unless I find something as harmless as pot. but I doubt there is such a drug, so..... but I'll definitely never try a heavy drug, such as cocaine or heroine.

mikkoaa
01-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Jesus Mariah with you guys!
A guy said that someone drums good and all you can comment is six pages of talking drugs and rehab. (ok, I skipped the three innest pages) But anyway, dogs aren't cats. WHAT AM I SAYING?

MikeB
01-21-2003, 05:49 PM
Actaully, pot is more harmful to your lungs that tobacco. One joint is just as bad as a pack of smokes (20 cigarettes).

MikeB
01-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Coffee can give you cancer. Especially really dark roasts, but it is so unlikely that you will because no one makes it dark enough for it to actually kill you unless you drink a crapload of that coffee. Anyway, drugs are still bad because they also drain seratonin and once that is gone there is no way to replace it and even medicince can't do it well.

Fixxxer
01-21-2003, 09:59 PM
GOd damnit, will you all stop talking about DRUGS!!!!!!!!!!

we are being unfair to danny

MikeB
01-21-2003, 11:07 PM
And he is being unfair to his body.

jddrummer666
01-22-2003, 11:05 PM
It's not like any thread about Tool ISN'T going to turn into a thread about drugs... haha.

Yeah, pot is really bad for your health. But if you wanna be that way, so are potato chips, fries, mcdonalds, pop and even the air. What doesn't give you cancer? Yeah, eating pot is better for you than smoking it. But it's still not good for you. But im not saying you have to stop, that would suck.

DrummerDave
02-05-2003, 03:55 PM
Smoking one joint is the eqivilant to smokeing something like 10+ cigs. I don't remember the exact number. Did you guys know that caffine is considered a drug?

ok i dont do drugs,and im not saying drugs are good or bad, and im not taking sides or anything BUT i'd like to see true facts if people are going to use fact in their argument. Braindonor, you in fact have the statistic backwards. 1 joint hurts your lungs 1/10 th what 1 cigarette does. Just thought id clear that up

Fixxxer
02-05-2003, 09:07 PM
im pretty sure thats incorrect

smoking unfilterd things is worse than smoking filterd cigerettes

DRUMMAN
02-05-2003, 11:08 PM
Danny Carey is overrated anyway

ID
02-06-2003, 01:37 AM
Danney Carey is overrated? Wow. Never heard that before. I think Lars Ulrich is overrated by a long shot, but Carey? OK, that's your opinion. However mislead it may be.

As for drugs, I can't understand why someone would want to alter their state beyond their own control. Any "drug" is harmful in some way. To each their own, but taking drugs of no medical benefit is not real intelligent. IMHO.

Now pass the doobie.

dblbassmassacre
02-06-2003, 09:52 AM
carey is by no mean under rated, hes prolly the best under rated drummer out there.

and hes not on drugs. plain and simple, just cuz your in tool, doesnt mean your on drugs, end of thread, this ignorance is too much.

benf
02-06-2003, 01:58 PM
Dude... carey himself has admitted to using DMT to reach a 'higher spiritual state.'

DrummerDave
02-06-2003, 03:44 PM
im pretty sure thats incorrect

smoking unfilterd things is worse than smoking filterd cigerettes

yes normally that would be true BUT also remember that in joints you are only smoking what you put in it. Whereas according the the truth.com commercials companies have over 10,000 different damaging chemicals and materials in cigarettes, only 1 of which being tobacco. so yes cigarettes are more harmful than joints. The reason marijuana is illegal in most states and cigarettes arent is because marijuana impares your judgement and senses wheras cigarettes do not. That is why drinking over a certain limit is illegal. before you hit hte legal limit drinking is like smoking, it doesnt really impare your judgement, whereas after you pass teh legal limit it starts to impare senses and judgment like illegal drugs. That is why alcohol has a limit on it,, becaus it has the potential to act like other drugs

flammy
02-06-2003, 08:25 PM
If I wanted to hear "ANTI-DRUG" talk I could go to a D.A.R.E. forum, but for now lets just stick to the topic.

DANNY CAREY kicks *** to me even if he uses drugs or not, hell he could be addicted to all the drugs in the world but I would still be his fan!

Ambion
02-06-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by flammy
If I wanted to hear "ANTI-DRUG" talk I could go to a D.A.R.E. forum, but for now lets just stick to the topic.

DANNY CAREY kicks *** to me even if he uses drugs or not, hell he could be addicted to all the drugs in the world but I would still be his fan!

here here.

Danny carey is the reason i started drumming. He is amazing. There are no words to describe him. Lateralus is his best work and the band's best work, and seeing tool play live only reinforces their skill. I believe that danny carey is arguably the greatest rock drummer of the past 100 years. (note: I said arguably.....i.e. not everyone agrees. I love going through and reading the "this drummer is better" posts, etc.)

MikeB
02-06-2003, 09:00 PM
What's DMT?

Fixxxer
02-06-2003, 09:43 PM
Danny isn't the reason i started, but he is the reason i continue, he is ****in amazing

im listenin' to "StinkFist" now, its cool, not Danny's most complex rythems though, thats a good thing i think

OWIMdrummer
02-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Far out! Whats the go with drugs in here? That first pic is cool! Danny Carey is the best drummer in the world and TOOL is the best band. Just listen to any TOOL album (Lateralus especially) and you'll see that they are Gods. I want to see them live! I am so jealous cuz the singer & guitarist from my band saw them in Sydney when they toured Australia and i didn't get to! :mad:

Fixxxer
02-07-2003, 11:46 PM
CHeers

DRUMMAN
02-08-2003, 11:08 AM
I'm not saying he isn't good but too many think Danny caerey is the best.(especially on this forum)

He is one of the best drummers of today but i can name a few drummers that are better and more refined.

Everyone is raving about laterus - You have to understand that most of it is free form drumming and odd times.

If i changed my patterns every bar you couldnt fiqure out what i was doing either.

So, I am not shooting him down but he isn't by far the best.

Ambion
02-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by DRUMMAN
I'm not saying he isn't good but too many think Danny caerey is the best.(especially on this forum)

He is one of the best drummers of today but i can name a few drummers that are better and more refined.

Everyone is raving about laterus - You have to understand that most of it is free form drumming and odd times.

If i changed my patterns every bar you couldnt fiqure out what i was doing either.

True, but as this forum has clearly illustrated, the issue of who is the best drummer is arguable. I think that danny is just extremely comfortable behind the drumset, and his playing reflects that. He just does it for me.

giantmink
02-09-2003, 05:07 AM
Whoa, I got my sig from the same song. Anyways I agree with Slip, I know a lot of "famous" musicians and they would surprise you. Not trying to sound cocky but I end up meeting and befriending many of them and it would even shock me sometimes. Danny Carey is rumoured to do acid but don't believe everything you hear. They openly "experimented" while recording AENIMA but that does not mean they are still doing it. I experimented with tons of things but I don't frequently use them. Just a thought. I love Danny Carey but I don't find Tool to be everything people crack them up to be, even Carey... Sorry Guys. He is a great drummer though.

giantmink
02-09-2003, 05:08 AM
Same song as Slip1, sorry about that.

ellioman
05-20-2003, 09:45 PM
pic...
http://www.simnet.is/ellioman/smilies/djofullinn.gif

Fixxxer
05-20-2003, 10:11 PM
this one is cool

Fixxxer
05-20-2003, 10:12 PM
and so are these:

woody431
05-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Danny Carey rocks. He's an excellent drummer and fits the craziness of the band perfectly. Although I do think that Josh Freese sounds awesome with A Perfect Circle..

Sorry to bring this back up, but the whole drug thing...honestly, who cares? If he wants to do drugs, more power to him. No one is gonna get him to stop but him. Same way with any other average Joe. There is no point in arguing about what is in cigs or bud because no one will really ever know the exact chemicals. You can't really go by those IDIOTIC Truth commercials either. Those are the most pathetic commercials I have ever seen in my life. And another thing I don't get, one person said that one fattie is equal to 10 cigs, then the other said 1 fattie is equal to 20 cigs? Someone has their info screwed up.

Point is, if you wanna do drugs, cool, if you don't, cool.

I do know one thing, weed gives me a good source of vitamins A, B, and THC.

Adrian NoRi
05-20-2003, 11:03 PM
I want a simmons pad!!!!!!!!!

can you give it one to me?:D

aenemic
05-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by DRUMMAN

the thing is that it isn't all free form drumming. he plays pretty much the exact same stuff live. he knows the songs by heart and knows exactly what to play. it's all written down and memorized. he's said though that on some occasions, he likes to change a certain riff beat or fill just to see the looks on the faces in the audience.

I first thought that he was just improvising, but you'd be surprised at how little improvisation goes into his drumming. it's all thought out and part of writing the songs.

satan40oz
05-20-2003, 11:31 PM
I am not compareing their attitudes, i am saying that the bands are very similar..........if you look at it

Keith Moon and Danny Carey are almost tied in skill, and one of the main parts of both bands is the amazing, uncontrolable, drums

Pete Townshend and Adam (damn, i forgot his last name) are amazing soloists, and know ecactly how to serve their songs, and have really cool riffs

Rodger Daltray and Maynard James Keenan are also similar, because both can shreak and sing subdally, also, they can both hold a note untill you just want to die............great singers

I love Tool , but I think Maynard is a big David Bowie fan . Look at the Ziggy Stardust days , the movements that Maynard does is similar to David 's . About the drug thing , who really give a damn if they are are drugs they make great music along with other artist. Sure the music I listen to now I hope the groups are still around until I'm toothless and crapping in my pants

This is how i compare them

MPCman
05-21-2003, 04:13 AM
Damn... you guys REALLY have to shut up about drugs.

I visit the Show us your Kits forum to see pictures, not to see a bunch of morons guessing what effects of certain drugs might be and using those thoughts to justify insulting others.

ellioman
05-21-2003, 11:47 AM

ellioman
05-21-2003, 11:50 AM

ellioman
05-21-2003, 11:53 AM

ellioman
05-21-2003, 11:55 AM
http://www.toolpantheon.com/dannytabla.jpg

ellioman
05-21-2003, 12:36 PM

aenemic
05-21-2003, 12:45 PM
I love his kit so much. definitely the coolest set-up ever.

frozin
05-21-2003, 04:42 PM
http://www.dannycarey.org/dangalb/danb.jpg

And on the drum topic, "those who speak do not know."

satan40oz
05-21-2003, 05:24 PM
Can we all say Tight

ellioman
05-21-2003, 06:20 PM
do thos simmons pads work differently depending on where you
hit them??? probably really cool to be able to use those,
but I must say I think I would be kinda scared of buying
them and putting them on my kit... dunno why , just am like that!

:rolleyes:

frozin
05-21-2003, 06:41 PM
the simmons pads had 7 places you could play on for the "cymbal" triggers and 2 for the drums. they were midi based, thus allowing this to be possible.

don't be afraid to buy some and add them into your kit- oh wait, chances of getting an SDX kit are slim to none! They are a near impossible find these days, and when you do find one expect a bidding war!! The last one I fought for on ebay went for around 5k.

The pads he is using now are built by one of his electronic genious friends who copied, and modified the simmons pads to play better. Everything is run off a mac g4 laptop apparently. Still using the simmons SDX as well of course...

ellioman
05-21-2003, 06:48 PM
If they are so popular why donīt Simmons make īem again?
If they are still in buisness...

MPCman
05-22-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by ellioman
If they are so popular why donīt Simmons make īem again?
If they are still in buisness...
The SDX was the reason why they have become out of business. Spent way too much money on researching and sold way too less SDX's.