PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the way Pearl mount there toms with tom arms?

Fran
01-09-2003, 10:03 PM
I think Yamaha's ball arms are better then Pearls tom arms. Any suggestion?

SLIPKNOT1
01-09-2003, 10:12 PM
The strongest tom arms made are Pearl, no contest. Tama, DW, Yamaha, Sonor, etc all use plastic balls as the adjustment point in there tom arms. Pearl is metal to metal, no plastic to crack. I have seen Tama "omniball" mounts fail and Travis Barker had a DW tom arm crack and cause major damage to his tom and bass drum. I do like the adjustability of Tama tom arms in particular, but the small diameter "L" arms are a pain and you have to use alot of force to hold them to a Starcast mount if the angle gets really extreme.
Pearl tom arms look like they have less adjustability since you see the joint only moves up and down, but since it can swivel 360 degrees on the tom bracket, you can do anything with a Pearl mount that you can with any of the "ball" mounts. And you have a large tube as opposed to a thin L arm.

Fran
01-09-2003, 10:15 PM
yea, i agree with you on the tama arms. They are good, dosent' look to sturdy IMO. I guess there ain't any perfect arms yet.

is either "sturdyness" or "great adjustment possiblities"

iscarrr
01-10-2003, 06:45 AM
I know this might seem weird, but it think they way pearl mounts there toms is probably the most unattractive looking method ive ever seen. I much prefer my premier's way, which by the way is metal to metal.

Henster3000
01-10-2003, 11:59 AM
tama sucks

Tabla_Man
01-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Keep in mind Pearl also makes the Dual Uni-lock tom holders which will move in any direction.

SLIPKNOT1
01-10-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by iscarrr
I know this might seem weird, but it think they way pearl mounts there toms is probably the most unattractive looking method ive ever seen. I much prefer my premier's way, which by the way is metal to metal.

Premiers Tom arms have plastic balls, just like Tama, DW, etc.

http://www.premier-percussion.com/spares/hardware/4396.html

weps
01-10-2003, 01:06 PM
Since I prefer Optimounts, I don't have much choice,

BUT,

I had a Tama kit. I really like their omniball mount, especially the newer model. But for all it's flexibilty, all that flexibility is rotated about a small area. AND has a thin clamping surface. It was NOT good for larger toms.

The 7/8" thick tubing provides the best support and mega clamping area. Yes, with the basic tom arms you can only change one rotational factor at a time. To me that's a good thing. AND you do have a much better length variable to work with, sliding the tom in and out. If not enough range for you you can get 4 different sized tom arms, regular or short to the rack/stand, I-sized or normal arm to the tom. And if that isn't enough, you can always use a simple pipe cutter to custom size them.

Keep in mind there are THREE current model hinged sections. The geared TH86, the rotational band clamped single keyed TH98 (what I have), and the covered BALL dual keyed TH100. So Pearl has balls in more ways than one ;^)

Throw in the 4 different hardware finishes in the Masters series drums as an added bonus.

weps

missilerep
01-14-2003, 02:46 PM
OK, you asked.

I've played the Premier ball mounts, and Tama ball mounts both. I used to think that the Tama mounts were the best until I played on a friends Pearl Export kit (This was almost 8 years ago). I noticed that his toms were mucho sturdy'r than mine and really put my wimpy Tama tom mounts to shame. Its not that the balls would slip but more that the flex and bounce was much less on the Exports.

Needless to say, my next kit was a Pearl SRX with the seperate tom arms (with the ISS system) and I love em, wouldn't take a million $$$ for them.

Thank you

Scotty Mc
01-14-2003, 02:51 PM
Over time, the plastic ball starts to age. Cuts and grooves appear which makes the ball loose its grip strength. I've always like Pearl's tom arm due to their simplicity and sturdiness. Who cares if it ugly??

I personally don't think that but others may.

drumwerker
01-24-2003, 01:27 AM
I think the Pearl tom holders are great. I won't knock the rest, I have no personal experience with them. The TH's are strong and can be tweaked nicely. I don't think they're ugly either.

ellioman
01-24-2003, 02:14 AM
The plastic balls on my premier kit are exactly what
I dislike the most about my current kit!!!

But it will all go away with my masterworks muhahahahah :D

crazypunkguy22
01-24-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by missilerep

Needless to say, my next kit was a Pearl SRX with the seperate tom arms (with the ISS system) and I love em, wouldn't take a million $$$ for them.

no offence you say you wouldnt trade million, you are stupid you could just go and buy extra ones with hell cash left

kimboy
01-24-2003, 09:17 AM
i think optimount are better that iss, and i really like them but the problem is the local stores here dont have it yet... :(

Phi
01-24-2003, 09:45 AM
I'll be honest with you. When I first saw Pearl tom arms, I winced. I did not like how they were so thick and distracted from the actual drums (I think my first post on this board was about that :) ). I bought a set of MMX's last summer and the tom arms were as chunky as they appeared in pictures. I found out that they were very strong by their thick design and that I could carry any of the toms by the arm. Sure, they are not as adjustable as ball joints but get this: the reason that these Tama need this "superior adjustability" is that they have to adjust their toms every time they sit down and play! :p . I set my toms exactly how I wanted them in august and they have stayed that way ever since. If I needed to gig, I'd just take the arms off the toms and leave the arms in their regular position (meaning I don't fold them up). When I set up, everything would be exactly the same. Try doing that with a ball-joint set-up. ;)

Phi :)

Phi
01-24-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
I have seen Tama "omniball" mounts fail and Travis Barker had a DW tom arm crack and cause major damage to his tom and bass drum.

That's what he gets for switching from Pearl hardware to DW hardware. :p

tommyddrummer
01-24-2003, 09:52 AM
All of the Pearl hardware is the best in the business! I have been playing Pearl drums for over 15 years now and have never had a single problem. Nothing has ever broken. The chrome has never rusted or flaked off. Their craftsmanship is second to none.

As for the asthetics of the tom arms, I feel the more chrome the better. They really shine in the stage lights.

drewdrums
01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
I believe pearl arms are better, at least with the new th100 arms, as opposed to the old one.

lildrummerboi
01-24-2003, 11:27 AM
i agree pearl tom arms can be adjusted to any postion and they STAY there unlike some "other" that over a period of time will move from there original position pearl HW is the BEST

zilflight
01-24-2003, 12:04 PM
one thing that I like about not just the tom holders but all pearl hardware, is that, I believe for the most part, all the tubing is 7/8 inch. this means I could stick a tom arm in a cymbal stand base, or in a snare stand base, or stick a snare basket in a bb3 (I dont know why I would want to, but hey, I could and thats all that matters). flexability like that makes me happy. When I usta have my entry level crap kit, I had no idea what good hardware was, so I never payed the extra little bit of money for it. I always got the stands that were kind of double braced, but not really. when I got my new elx kit, about a month and a week ago or so, I first unpacked the box with all the hardware in it... my jaw dropped at how freakin sturdy everything was. granted it was about 20 billion pounds heavier, but shoot, it was really sturdy. Im not going to say that pearl hardware is the best, or that everything else sucks, cause its all opinion... but I really like pearl hardware.

Dex
01-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Yeah, well when I finish developing my SUPER DUPER ELECTROMAGNET SUSPENSION MOUNTS (tm) then all others will cower in fear of the MIGHT and POWER (not to mention resonance) of my drums! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

(Just remember to take out the nose ring, or it'll be taken out for you!)

jmr1599
01-25-2003, 11:50 AM
ive had the tama style fail on me in the store... i was lookin at a 4 piece cuz... yeh... morgan rose... all i can say... well that and abe cunningham..but it failed in the store.. it fell and put a huge *** scrach in the bass drum... so i turned and bought the elx... thank god!!

pearl-drum-man
01-27-2003, 07:29 AM
Used Tama for many years. I never had a failure, but now that I use Pearl I definitely prefer them. I've also owned Yamaha and I liked their mounts the least of the three. The Pearl mounts are rock solid, and I also like their look the best.

Jamie
01-27-2003, 12:30 PM
when i got my elx, i was very impressed with pearl's hardware. i just wish i'd believed it was worth it a long time ago so i didnt have to buy all new pearl stands to replace my cheapy stuff. all you guys are right about the tom holders, they are solid. my very first kit had similar holders so ive always liked em, and whoever said this is right, those ball joint things are only adjustable because every 10 minutes you have to re adjust em because they slip! pearl has the best hw around i reckon, looks good and is solid as a rock. if i were ever to buy a non-pearl kit (ocdp for example) then i would use pearl hw and mounting systems because they are great!
cheers
Jamie

jmr1599
01-27-2003, 04:56 PM
yeh.. they look awesome.. ppl say they hate the looks.. i love the looks of them

Texx
01-28-2003, 08:59 PM
If pearl swung the tom holes 90 degs out and horizontal (bayonet fittings like premier being vertical) the arms wouldn't have to go into the drum and the tubing would be thinner. I know the new holders mean the tubes don't go into the drum but it still affects the distance you can mount the drum on the arm. I don't think it would add as much to the drum dimension as you think.

SLIPKNOT1
01-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Using my RIMS mounts i can have the Pearl T 100 tom holders all the way in and not be contacting the shell. I think it depends on your mounting system.

powermatt99
01-29-2003, 10:28 AM
The Rockstar i play at church uses the typical Tama "L-rod" in a rack clamp. They seem sturdy enough on the 10 & 12" tom but the 14" tom just seems to flex that puny L-rod to no end. It gets to the point that I am afraid to hit it at times because of the bounce that I get after. I would hate to see a 16" rack tom mounted to a L-rod. Also, another drummer at our church as a swingstar with the dual tom mount assembly from the kick. It is impossible to get the same angles on the toms that I get on my export. And, after time, it seems like the balls slip a little more that I would like.

Bostic
01-29-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Scotty Mc
Over time, the plastic ball starts to age. Cuts and grooves appear which makes the ball loose its grip strength. I've always like Pearl's tom arm due to their simplicity and sturdiness. Who cares if it ugly??

I personally don't think that but others may.

This is very true with the Tama Tom Holders. I've had to replace the ball L arms after a few years due to the cuts and grooves. I suppose if you set it and forget it that will never happen, but most drummers I know tend to fidget with tom positions from time to time. The L arm was always a bit shakey for me as well when I used to mount a 14" Tom on the right kick drum, it always seemed to wobble just a bit too much. This was with the old Superstar series omni lock which was even sturdier than the present design. Lars had 13x14 & 15x16 toms mounted during his Black kit era and Dave Lombardo has always had 14 & 15 toms mounted on the right kick drum and they use the standard tom holders.

I used to think the Pearl arms were ugly, but they have grown on me over time, or maybe I just don't worry about things like that as much as I did at a younger age. The Export models with the ratchet arms are very limiting, and that design is usually found on the bargain ebay kits from cheaper manufacturers.

Axe
01-29-2003, 09:26 PM
One of the things that turned me off about Pearls many years ago was the way their tom arms looked. I thought then, as I do now, having two arms coming out of the bass drum was/is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. But if theyre sturdy, what can you say?

SLIPKNOT1
01-29-2003, 10:38 PM
I agree Bass Drum monted Tom holders look nasty. I use a rack, but even if you dont, using multi-clamps off a cymbal stand or a dedicated Tom stand with Pearl Tom arms is the most ridgid way to mount any tom.

Ron "The Sledge"
01-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Only once in awhile I do look at the tom arms and think, "Man those look simplistic and ugly". Then the thought goes away 'til the next time. I figure it's just a quirk on my part since generally I don't think about it.
Asthetics aside though IMHO Pearl tom arms are probably the best around. The biggest problem with Pearl's tom arm to tom mounts has been solved with the advent of suspension mounting. I play a 4 piece MLX kit and 2 days ago outfitted my rack tom with an Optimount. WOW!!! What a diff! Would I take a million for 'em? I'm not stupid, sure I would! At least I would have the satisfaction of knowing the buyer was getting their money's worth. Catch my drift?

missilerep
01-30-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by crazypunkguy22

no offence you say you wouldnt trade million, you are stupid you could just go and buy extra ones with hell cash left

You are so right. I am such an idiot!

dude78787
01-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Phi, what you said about the ball mounts not being able to stay in one position for gigging purposes is completely inacurate. I have the yamaha stage custom advantage with the ball/clamp arms, and those haven't been readjusted since I got them exactly one year ago. My drum teacher also has some yamahas with about the same mount, only his have lasted for many many years more (I think since the 80's). There is no reason for any tom arm to wear out unless they are mistreated. These mounts are also sturdy as a rock, they don't move.

Mark and the Lucky Numbers (http://markandtheluckynumbers.cjb.net)

Mattz280
01-30-2003, 05:06 PM
All this bs about how the Tama arms are weak is crap.

I have a Tama superstar, 20 years old, and the tom arms stay where they are adjusted to.

I also have a new Starclassic kit, and the tom arms are also 100% in the same spot every time, I know this because my 12" is 1" off my bass drum lug and has not moved since october. It is even more adjustable than my superstars. You basically loosen the two wingnuts and move the tom where you want it and it will go there.

The exports I played on had poor adjustability and the tom arms are ugly imho (never mind that both Tama's sound infinitely better, but were comparing lower-mid level to top level so I guess that's an unfair comparison, although I have played on Masters Custom Extra which did not impress me too much after using my Starclassics. The bass drum sucked big time)

Hoody
01-30-2003, 10:33 PM
My Imperialstar holds up all right, its close to 20 yrs old. Still gonna replace it with MMX tho.

Jeff Wald
03-18-2003, 10:29 PM
i've used pearl drums & hardware for over 15 years now & love it. i think the tom arms are great & look very powerful. never really had much experience w/ anything else but i know that these TH98's are great!

kimboy
03-19-2003, 04:59 AM
yeah pearl tom mounts are great. no crack to worry

ellioman
03-19-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Jeff Wald
i've used pearl drums & hardware for over 15 years now & love it. i think the tom arms are great & look very powerful. never really had much experience w/ anything else but i know that these TH98's are great!

Have you tried the TH100I???
I purchased them for my new set and Im just curious...

Jeff Wald
03-19-2003, 09:19 AM
no, i never have. no particular reason, i've had the current ones for a few years now, b4 they came out w/ the TH100's so i've never switched. and i guess taht i can achieve the rotating factor of the TH100 by just loosening my TH98 in the PC50 holder & turning it. i might be wrong but that's what i'm guessing.

greenjo
03-21-2003, 09:10 AM
if your sitting behing the kit for the most part you can't really see the tom mouns so why do you care what it looks like as long as it doesn't move around on you?

I also prefer pearl mounts for the stability, but I use them in a rack setup with the short arms so there isn't much to see anyway

Jeff Wald
03-21-2003, 09:16 AM
i know that i can't see them when i'm playing but my kit is set up in the corner of my rec room so i see it alot from the 'audience' view' as well & it looks very cool that way. so when i am gigging, i know that everyone's seeing how tough it looks. that's all.

brandrum
03-21-2003, 10:14 AM
i have tama mounts and they do bounce quite a bit, hands down the pearl mounts are way more solid:(

phily05
03-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Travis Barker had a DW tom arm crack and cause major damage to his tom and bass drum.

How did you find this out? Is this through your musical connections again, or in some magazine or something? Just curious.

Drummer24
03-22-2003, 11:17 PM
I got a pacific kit and the tom arms are a lot like pearls and i LOVE them.

SLIPKNOT1
03-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by phily05

How did you find this out? Is this through your musical connections again, or in some magazine or something? Just curious.

I had a friend working at the show where it happend and watched the mad rush to fix it mid show.

phily05
03-23-2003, 08:13 AM

I had a friend working at the show where it happend and watched the mad rush to fix it mid show.

Wow. That would be embarassing. Was it during a song?

Ambion
03-23-2003, 06:43 PM
I really like the Yamaha mounts, and i have never heard of anyone having a yamaha mount fail on them. Have any of you?

I personally think that Sonor makes the most reliable hardware on the market, followed by yamaha and then pearl. I like the drums to have a little bit of a bounce to them, it feels better on the sticks and it looks cool too :) The pearl kits I've played are all great, but the toms seem like they're bolted in place. I like drums to be loose. My yamaha mounts never move when i don't want them to. I also really like how Yamaha designs their wingnuts, but thats just personal preferance i guess.

superG
03-24-2003, 10:59 AM
That's one reason I finally went with Pearl. I did not like the way other companies did the ball thing. With my luck I'd be the one it failed on. Pearl's just seems more solid and sturdy.

I initially looked at Taye, then I was told that parts may be hard to come by. Looked at Pacific, Yamaha and then Pearl. Well, Pearl seemed the way to go and a local store had what I wanted and gave me an incredible deal, so there you have it.

Mattz280
03-26-2003, 05:37 PM
The pearl arms may be a bit more sturdy than tama arms, but in my opinion are much less adjustable. I played on an export kit, and the only thing that stood out was that the toms were difficult to adjust and the kit sounded like ****.

I also played on a 99 Masters Custom Extra (MRX shell with superhoops and ISS). They felt pretty sturdy and sounded good, but I wouldn't trade my SC performers for them. They had nice resonance, but very little punch or definition compared to the SC's. Also the kick sucks (could be a tuning issue).

SLIPKNOT1
03-26-2003, 06:45 PM
The tom arms that come with the Exports are not the same as the TH100's which are more adjustable.
Having owned three Tama kits in the past including two SC Maple kits i can tell you first hand that the Pearl arms allow you to position the tom at any angle you can with a Tama "L" arm. It will even allow angles NOT possible with a Tama arm unless you are using a round tube rack.
I know looking at a Pearl arm and then the Tama "Omni Ball" mount makes you wonder how they can offer the same adjustments but i assure you they can.
You have the same angles as far as 180 degrees up or down and they can rotate 360 degrees as well. The Pearl arms use a round mounting tube that attatches the shell mounting system which gives you 360 degrees of adjustment on the SAME axis. Tama arms do NOT do this.

vanillaCOKE2k2
03-26-2003, 07:09 PM
I do:D one of da best mount systems on the market.:cool:

mdago
03-26-2003, 09:50 PM
plastic wears and eventually has to be replaced. pearl really does make the best arms. all metal

tension_bolt
06-06-2003, 05:07 AM
I agree with Ambion that sonor has the most reliable hardware. It also looks kinda cool, if you just get used to the round shapes (that for some reason reminds me of candy)..

What I don't lik about the pearl arms is that you have no front to back-adjustment of rack toms (same with yamaha) if you mount them to the bass drum, as I prefer. Sonor uses a rail on top of the bass drums on which you can slide the whole tom mount back and forth. very versatile!:D

yamaha_man
06-06-2003, 06:56 AM
well...i love my yammies, and i love my ball socket mount....and ill agree no doubt that pearl makes some sturdy *** stuff.....the only thing is i have this huge dislike for memory locks, and i dont like havin to loosen/ tighten...loosen/ tighten all the time....and i dont have to keep a drum key in my pocket just to adjust my tom.
but other than that i think the pearl mounts are sturdy as hell.

Robert-jan
06-07-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by tension_bolt
I agree with Ambion that sonor has the most reliable hardware. It also looks kinda cool, if you just get used to the round shapes (that for some reason reminds me of candy)..

believ it or not there is a filosofie/phylosophie/fyllo/fol...eeeeh they have really thougt about it..

Every hardwarepart(or which was able to) comes with a ball on the end...why? its about the logo...sticks with ball on it..

Honoustly I m not kidding..I was told by some-one who was involded in the design of the Sonor designer series..

Mr. Canuck
06-08-2003, 09:37 PM
IMO Pearl mounts are the strongest youll EVER find.

2 basses4life
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
no matter what you do ,there still the ugliest too. the ball style ain't as bad as you guys make it out to be , i mean had a 15 year old tama kit. the ball sockets are aloud to slip ,in my mind after fifteen years!. it's not like you cant replace them if they where out.

besides that , i prefer to pull my toms UP off of there mounting system, rather than yanking down and marring the surface of my bass drum. my original tama tom sizes were 13,14,15,16, mounted ,and an 18 floor . the ball style mounts will hold, the trick is finding the spot where you like your drums , and just don't move them . this lowers the where and tear on the sockets. seriously, how often do you need to to keep re-adjusting your toms?

Blink_Thug_182
06-10-2003, 06:34 AM
I Have Tama L Rods On My Gibraltar Power Series Rack And They Are VERY Adjustable plus i have the clamps that hold the l rods i even mount my 16 floor tom on there

Tama Drummer
06-10-2003, 08:03 PM
The only reason I'm not going to buy Pearl drum kits is because of the tom arms, they're big, ugly & they look cheap. All the cheapo crappy kits copy this idea, which is another reason why I don't like them.

tension_bolt
06-11-2003, 03:23 AM
That's right! All the cheap kits from peace, cadeson, (and so forth) copy the pearl-design. I'm thinking heavily about getting a new drumkit, and the only reason I'm not getting pearl is because of their tom mounts.

backbeat
07-07-2003, 11:45 AM
Pearl's mounts are keeping me from buying a Masterworks kit. They may be strong...but the design is really outdated functionally and they look terrible. My vote is with Yamaha's YESS mounts and Sonor's Designer series.

PhilB1029
07-08-2003, 12:27 AM
I prefer Pearls. I also dont understand why people say that it looks unatractive. They look fine to me.

woody431
07-08-2003, 12:50 AM
I really have no opinion here because, I really like all the companies way of mounting. But I do like Pearls way especially with a virgin kick. With my schools Export kit, it just seems a little harder to position the toms with the arms on the bass. With them on stands or clamps, it's just a little easier. I can't really describe it though.

smileyevil87
07-09-2003, 10:39 AM
I love the tom-mounts to but there is another problem that I havent seen discused. When I use my I.S.S. mounts u cant put the whole tom arm in and the toms get realy close and it causes me some comfort issues because I cant ge them as flat as I want to. Any suggestions?

SLIPKNOT1
07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by smileyevil87
I love the tom-mounts to but there is another problem that I havent seen discused. When I use my I.S.S. mounts u cant put the whole tom arm in and the toms get realy close and it causes me some comfort issues because I cant ge them as flat as I want to. Any suggestions?

Yes, Pearl makes specific tom arms for use with ISS mounts that has a shorter arm to eliminate the problem you are describing.

Any Pearl tom arm part number that ends with the letter "I" is designed for use with OptiMounts or ISS mounts.

So the TH-100I TH-98I TH-88I are all short arm Tom holders. I use them on my kit, no issues with them sticking out too far.

smileyevil87
07-09-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks slipknot1 I always wondered if they had a fix for that

zilflight
07-10-2003, 09:51 AM
or you could just take a hacksaw to the arms you have now, and "modify" them. thats somethin I did to one of my arms.

SLIPKNOT1
07-10-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by zilflight
or you could just take a hacksaw to the arms you have now, and "modify" them. thats somethin I did to one of my arms.

Yes, that an option as well, although i would reccomend a plumbers tubing cutter to give you a perfectly straight, clean cut. They cost about $15.00 at most big hardware stores. I buy all my tom arms in the long vertical tube version and then cut them to size.

smileyevil87
07-10-2003, 12:16 PM
ill do that thanks 4 the advice