PDA

View Full Version : Pearl's Drop Clutch -- POLL

drumwerker
01-05-2003, 01:13 AM
I just got my Pearl Drop Clutch today - I love it.

Qbs
01-05-2003, 03:27 AM
do you have a Pearl hi hat stand? or some other?
regards
Qbs

Richard Winfield
01-05-2003, 05:31 AM
I've used both the Gibraltar & DW Drop clutches (Is there a difference?)

I pesonally like the features on the PEARL.

Totally different release lever action.

Metalist
01-05-2003, 10:08 AM
Is that the one you have to hit Side ways, rather than down or up.

Richard Winfield
01-05-2003, 11:40 AM
DW, Gibraltar, & Yamaha: The level is horizontal (you push down)

The pearl lever is "on the side" (you push sideways)

drumwerker
01-05-2003, 11:59 AM
to Qbs:
I have a Pearl HH stand, model 885.

MIA_Drümer
01-05-2003, 02:38 PM
i have a no-name clutch. or maybe dixon. not sure. but it's one that you push down to release, which I think is better, cuz often while playing you don't have time to reach over and push it by hand. so with a push-down model, you can whack it with your stick and keep playing. a little tricky but better than having to do it directly manually.

drumwerker
01-05-2003, 03:18 PM
Actually the Pearl drop clutch doesn't require me to disengage it by hand. I just give it a hit with the stick and it drops the clutch. I've got it positioned on the HH spindle so that it is at a right angle to me.

dRuTcH
01-05-2003, 10:13 PM
Do drop clutches close the hi hats tightly??? cause when I close my hi hat (with a normal clutch) the hi hats dont shut tightly.

SLIPKNOT1
01-05-2003, 10:31 PM
I have a Pearl Drop clutch on my Iron Cobra Hi-Hat and a DW Drop clutch on my DW remote hat. I like the Pearl better, much larger area to hit with a stick to drop it.

Warhamster
01-05-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by MIA_Drümer
i have a no-name clutch. or maybe dixon. not sure. but it's one that you push down to release, which I think is better, cuz often while playing you don't have time to reach over and push it by hand. so with a push-down model, you can whack it with your stick and keep playing. a little tricky but better than having to do it directly manually.

Dixon produces good, cheap stools, I just got one for AU $89.95 or about $45 American, and it rocks.

I would like to get a Drop Clutch, but not one that you hit sidewards for, So maybe a DW or Gibraltar?

Qbs
01-06-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by drumwerker
to Qbs:
I have a Pearl HH stand, model 885.
have you tried it on on any other hi hat stands? maybe premier 4000 by any chance? :) I'm asking because I'm thinking about changing my h-70 stand for something else and I think ti will be premier 4000 but I don;t know if this pearl drop clutch that I'm going to buy will fir :)
regards
Qbs

drumwerker
01-06-2003, 08:34 AM
Qbs:
Have not tried on other stands but Pearl says will fit most stands. I would try it out at the store, just bring your spindle from the Premier with you.

drumwerker
01-06-2003, 08:59 AM
to dRutch

The hook part is spring-loaded, so it applies some downward pressure to the top of the clutch when it's disengaged. I get a nice chic sound, it not going to be as tightly compressed as your foot applying pressure, but pretty close. I was pleasantly surprised - no mushiness in the HH sound at all.

Note: I only have approximately a 3/4" gap between top and botton cymbals when my HH is fully open. If you are a "big-gapper", you may not find that the spring will push down on the clutch enough. BTW, I use Paiste 15" Sound-Edge HH.

Hope this helps.

Qbs
01-07-2003, 10:38 AM
ok thx drumwerker
the problem is I'm buying the stand and the clutch via internet ;) but I think I'll stick to the h-70 for a while so it's cool :)
regards
Qbs

MIA_Drümer
01-07-2003, 04:27 PM
i find with the drop clutch disengaged (ie cyms closed) gives a decent swishy hat sound. if it doesnt work well enough for you and you've got the cash you can always get a remote hat setup like slipknot1 up there and lock 'em closed. anyone have experience with mini hats, 12 or 10? are they any good? sab or zil.

Richard Winfield
01-07-2003, 06:21 PM
Mini Hats are pretty kewl.

They are higher pitched and offer a contrast to the "main hats."

Vachefolle
01-08-2003, 02:28 PM
the drop clutch is good
it's quite easy too hit it with the sticks
perhaps a little more length will make this clutch better
but this is nice hardware

mr_matt_sorum
01-09-2003, 07:03 PM
i played with some drop clutches at guitar center, and realized that it didnt matter to me, so i just bought the sound percussion one and its quite satisfactory for me

weps
01-10-2003, 01:49 PM
The 1st and only drop clutch I've bought. I use it on a Tama stand. For those who've cut their hihat rods short, or worse, flush, you'll likely need a new rod in order to use ANY drop clutch. Wth the Pearl model, you need 3 to 3.5" of rod above the top cymbal. I REALLY like the side stick release lever.

BUT (hence my vote) I've always had a problem with the bottom nut loosening. When I gigged with a double pedal (just returning to that once again), I had to have a wrench and a set of small vise-grips to tighten it enough not to come loose over the course of a 4 hour bar gig. It's got a lot of vise-grip gouges in the top cone. Now I'm just retightening it by hand before EVERY set. Nothin' like closing a set with an alternating open closed hihat pattern as a signiture drum part of a cover song and have the top hat come loose from the clutch! The threads make a heckava file! I've had clutches unscrew themselves over time but this is the worse I've used & I have a pretty good grip!

weps

mikebangdrums
01-10-2003, 03:55 PM
I have the same problem. I like the side action, but I really wish you could lock the bottom nut in place. Every now and then it completely releases the top hat.

drumwerker
01-11-2003, 08:51 AM
You might try a dab of Lock-Tite on the threads to keep the clutch locking nut from loosening. I haven't had this problem with my clutch, but it's probably because I don't travel with this kit. I would imagine that the constant loosening and tightening from setup and breakdown would cause the threads to become thinner and loosen easier.

Vachefolle
01-12-2003, 03:48 AM
yeah i've also had this tightening problem with my clutch. i have to tight it very hard and now it's not falling down, but a regular cheking must be done to prevent it falling when you're playing :eek:

Jonathan_M
01-12-2003, 06:01 PM
I've got the Pearl drop-clutch, but I wish they had a model with a horizontal release bar rather than vertical. It just seems that most of the time I'm hitting DOWN on my kit and having to change to a side movement to release the hat is a bit non-ergonomic IMHO.

ab
01-15-2003, 08:25 PM
the parts on my pearl drop clutch come apart daily(if not every 30 minutes while im playing). it is a pain to be in the middle of a cool hi hat part and you drop clutch falls apart. and trust me, i tighten it all the way.

Gupta87
01-15-2003, 08:47 PM
i have the eliminator hihat stand with the pearl drop clutch... a lot of times the screws holding the top cymbal loosen.
i think it may just be the way im playing b/c the top cymbal often rotates, so ill try to correct myself
got any other suggestions??

drumwerker
01-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Well I guess I am having the loosening problem just like some others have reported on this thread.

I had my original clutch on for a year and it never loosened. I've had this about 2 weeks and it's come apart 3 times in the last 5 days. :mad:

I got some of that teflon tape that is used on the threads for shower heads and wrapped about 5-6 revolutions on the drop clutch threads. I'll let you all know if that is a remedy or not.

MikeH
01-26-2003, 09:18 AM
im havin the same problem. Pearl guys HELLOOOOO. how bout a recall lol. that would be nice. i thought of putting the nut off of the original clutch on but of course it didnt fit. i just replaced the bottom felt with a softer felt to try and get more bite out of the nut and tightened everything up really tight. i'll let ya all know if it solves the problem.

SLIPKNOT1
01-26-2003, 12:42 PM
I have used mine for over a year and never had an issue??

MikeH
01-26-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
I have used mine for over a year and never had an issue??

And your secret is??

Bostic
01-27-2003, 02:16 PM
The quickest clutch to disengage is still the Yamaha model. It would be nice if the diameter was larger, you have to drill it some to fit on the larger pull rods like Pearl or DW use on their stands.

Dex
01-27-2003, 04:57 PM
My top cymbal loosens too. It comes from the way it attaches. THe old style clutch "clamped" onto the stand, so that it put pressure on a larger area (similar to the more expensive tube height adjustments on stands). THe newest regular clutch does the same as the old, but the cheaper clutches and drop clutch is still a single wingnut through a metal tube.

I don't get it. Cheaper to produce?

drumwerker
01-27-2003, 05:06 PM
Dex,
Maybe that's the reason, but since the drop clutch is actually two separate pieces, I don't see the significance?

The top portion is the spring loaded clutch, which attachs to the pull rod with a wingnut. The lower portion is the actual part that screws into the top hihat and has a bottom bolt.

If you clap the high hat enough times, and you don't have the cymbal felts snug against the top hihat cymbal, the bottom bolt loosens pretty quickly.

The original H885 hihat clutch has the same bottom bolt as the drop clutch, yet it never loosened.

Dex
01-27-2003, 05:11 PM
NONONONONONONO!

I mean that the peice that attaches to the pull rod come loose. The old one attached differently and never loosened. I'll try to change a pic to post later to explain better.

drumwerker
01-27-2003, 05:16 PM
People in the posts have been describing a different problem Dex. The problem we're talking about has to do with the bottom screw loosening so that the top hihat falls out during playing.

Sounds like you are having a different problem, like slippage from the clamp portion.

Dex
01-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah, exactly.

The reason I complain is that I had an older clutch (designed differently, like the new cl-98 (or mayhaps not new)). My old one never slipped, but I needed a drop clutch, so I bought it, and it slipped more often, unless I got a wrench and cranked the wingnut.

drumwerker
02-02-2003, 01:31 AM
Well I guess I am having the loosening problem just like some others have reported on this thread.

I had my original clutch on for a year and it never loosened. I've had this about 2 weeks and it's come apart 3 times in the last 5 days. :mad:

I got some of that teflon tape that is used on the threads for shower heads and wrapped about 5-6 revolutions on the drop clutch threads. I'll let you all know if that is a remedy or not.

Just to update: The teflon tape seems to have worked - the clutch has not loosened at all after playing for a week.

MikeH
02-02-2003, 03:53 PM
thx for reminding me drumwerker. my solution worked also. replace the hard felt on the bottum with a softer felt and tighten. i just used the felt off of the original clutch.

pearl-drum-man
02-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1
I have a Pearl Drop clutch on my Iron Cobra Hi-Hat and a DW Drop clutch on my DW remote hat. I like the Pearl better, much larger area to hit with a stick to drop it.

I use an Iron Cobra hat as well, I've been wondering if the Pearl clutch was compatible with the IC rod, cool.

My last clutch was a DW, it sucked. It was hard to hit, and when I did, often it wouldn't drop. Eventually the rubber bumper split and fell off which made it even more difficult to disengage with a stick. I haven't tried the Pearl clutch yet, but it looks like a much more user friendly setup.

DaveLombardoRules
02-14-2003, 06:28 PM
I will be ordering the Pearl drop clutch soon from www.music123.com

ID
02-14-2003, 09:44 PM
I never use mine. I don't like the way the HH sounds under its own weight.

Just MHO.

weps
02-15-2003, 09:25 AM
The teflon tape is a good idea for STAY AT HOME or studio kits. Or people with drum techs.

BUT for those gigging with a regular cymbal case or bag, you have to take the clutch off every time you pack up your cymbals. The APPROPRIATE fix is better tolerance of the threads or better yet, a 2pc locknut bottom nut assembly. I just use an adjustable wrench and a pair of pliers to snug it up at the gig, faster than wrapping tape. And for those suggesting silicon, forgeddaboutit!

ID,
I agree with you about the hats under their own weight sound. I prefer them either under a bit of foot tension or opened a bit for more swish. You can adjust it so it's barely open but then you can't get a clean opening hat sound for those patterns/accents. A large tilt to the bottom cymbal does help the closed hat sound when the clutch is disengaged.

Probably why I use the ride cymbal more when double pedaling ;>)

weps

drumwerker
02-15-2003, 08:09 PM
weps, I tend to agree with you. I have a stay at home set, and the teflon tape has kept the clutch from loosening since I put it on. I don't think it would wear out very much if you did diassemble it repeatedly. It isn't difficult to remove by hand and it's not tearing up when I remove the bolt.

Seems to me the answer is that Pearl should have used rubber instead of felt cymbal washers. In fact, the clutch package said rubber cymbal washers, but felt washers came with it (???) I'm going to see if I can locate a rubber one for the bottom washer and see if this works.

weps
02-16-2003, 08:27 AM
So the teflon is remaining in the threads for a while with removal/install of the bottom nut? Maybe I'll try it.

I bought my drop clutch about 5 years ago and had the same thing as you. Package said rubber washers, shows a picture of rubber washers, but came with felts!

IF you want to try the rubber washers, check around the house and see if you have any leftover parts from plumbing fittings. The washers look the exact same to me as what comes with the plastic tubing that you can use to connect faucets!

The rubber washers run about $3 a set from the drum retailers. Just buy the entire Pearl Upgrade kit, UPK-1. It comes with the 2 rubber clutch washers ($3), the 3 point rubber washer for replacing the botton hihat cymbal felt ($3), 3 air suspension floor tom feet ($9), and a Quad head beater with adjustable weight and allen wrench ($17), ALL for just $21-23 at most retailers! The best Pearl bargain ever! Stupid me, I bought the hihat and floor tom items separately before getting a UPK1. And I used it all on Tama drums & hardware at the time! I put the original stuff back on the Tamas when I sold them and kept the Pearl parts.

weps

drummer4JC
02-16-2003, 01:26 PM
the only problem i have is the height that i have my top hihat. i like it low so i get more of a washy sound when played open. so whenever i play with it down, it usually pops back into the open position.

drumwerker
02-16-2003, 02:57 PM
weps - I was able to get just the Pearl NP208 Hi-Hat Cup Washer (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030216094135065030101242036836/search/detail/base_id/59656) and just the Pearl NP-210/2 Rubber Clutch Washer Pair (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030216094135065030101242036836/search/detail/base_id/59657) at Musician's Friends. I also found that UGK-1 for about $17 at Music123 (http://www.music123.com/item/?itemno=86788)and Musician's Friend (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030216094135065030101242036836/search/g=perc?q=UGK-1). Your suggestion was good, but I didn't need the rest of the stuff in the kit. Thanks for mentioning that!

drumwerker
02-19-2003, 01:30 PM
I removed the teflon tape and replaced the felt washers with the NP-210 rubber washers. The clutch has not loosened at all. It's a shame that these rubber washers weren't included on the clutch as they should have been. :mad: But at least this solves the problem.

Some other people posted that they were having loosening problems - did you guys/gals have felt or rubber washers on your drop clutch??

Vachefolle
02-20-2003, 04:29 AM
on the package it was written "with rubber washers" but in fact there was this "high density felt washers"
i just don't understand why pearl sale an item which it's called "with rubber washers" an in fact has this felt washers which seems to be the cause of the tightening(sp?) problem...

Dylan
02-25-2003, 06:59 PM
I should be getting one tomorrow, providing my guy ordered it like he said he would, does it have instructions on how to install it? If not- can someone explain it to me?

Thanks and I'll let you know what I think-
DS

kimboy
02-26-2003, 10:39 AM
I just got my Pearl Drop Clutch today - I love it.

i agree, pearl dcl-90 are superb.

drumwerker
04-19-2003, 10:15 AM
The rubber washers on the top hihat solved the loosening clutch bolt problem. I only wish Pearl had included these, like it says on the package, instead of substituting the felt ones.

Duck
05-05-2003, 01:37 PM
dont got one
never tried one either

Stranjluv101
11-19-2016, 07:00 AM
The Pearl Drop Clutch DCL300P, will it work on the size rod that is on a Tama Iron Cobra? I figure that it will, one review on amazon has me doubting that now. Does anyone know for sure before I order it?

Drumming-4-Life
11-19-2016, 12:46 PM
The Pearl Drop Clutch DCL300P, will it work on the size rod that is on a Tama Iron Cobra? I figure that it will, one review on amazon has me doubting that now. Does anyone know for sure before I order it?

I don't know if the drop clutch will work, but I know the Tama hi-hat rod is smaller in diameter than the Pearl hi-hat rod. Does that make a difference?

Stranjluv101
11-19-2016, 12:54 PM
I don't know if the drop clutch will work, but I know the Tama hi-hat rod is smaller in diameter than the Pearl hi-hat rod. Does that make a difference?

Beautiful! Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to order it then!

sticks4drums
11-19-2016, 02:18 PM
I have one on a two legged Speed Cobra, and it works great. The only time I had a problem was on Mapex's older hi hats. Their rods were smaller in diameter. Their new Falcon hi hat has a larger rod and works great also. I own 6 of them and never had a problem with any. They work great.

mattsimonton
11-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Duplicate

mattsimonton
11-19-2016, 03:09 PM
I have one on a Tama Iron Cobra Leverglide. Works great.

Matt

PhilB1029
11-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Tama changed all their diameters to the standard 8mm on hi hat rods, and wing nuts and things like that. New IC hi hat stands should take any standard drop clutch. I have a DW on mine.

ChrisNYC
11-25-2016, 10:56 AM
I got frustrated with putting my hi-hat to sleep with a traditional drop clutch. Setting up an x-hat (auxiliary hi-hat) wasn’t scratching my itch either. So I made (and patented) a device that regains some lost hi-hat when playing double bass etc.

I made a video that explains it .

https://youtu.be/nxdHhGfZM0g

I've got some demo's/ prototypes if anyone is interested in trying one out
( ping me here or [email protected]

Chris

Bostic
11-25-2016, 01:46 PM
That is some very creative out of the box thinking there. So many new possibilities to be explored and a whole new level of muscle memory to train and learn with the calf muscle. I can see how some would scoff at it with the extra setup and packup time when gigging as there is a bit of complexity. There have been plenty of times where I am playing 8th note triplets on a hi-hat then switch to the x-hat for a different sound source.

Kiwi
11-27-2016, 09:19 AM
FYI Pearl hi hat rods are 7mm, or should I say the base thread is.

pearlreference7101
11-28-2016, 01:49 PM
I don't know if the drop clutch will work, but I know the Tama hi-hat rod is smaller in diameter than the Pearl hi-hat rod. Does that make a difference? It will work. I tried it out on my Tama HH stand. It's gotta be tightened more, but it works.