PDA

View Full Version : Axis Pedals

styx
12-30-2002, 05:54 AM
Right Now, I have an Iron Cobra Power Glide double pedal, and I found an Axis X Double Bass Pedal for $157.51 and an Axis A Double Bass Pedal for $192.50. I bought my Iron Cobras in February, but I'm not getting the speed I want. Is it worth persuading my parents to let me buy one, and if so which one?

Thanx in advance!

SLIPKNOT1
12-30-2002, 06:50 AM
The X is the longer pedal board version. Personally, i would stick with what you have. I was less then impressed with Axis pedals. I found the IC's to be alot smoother and definatley more durable. Its all in how you play it, try the Axis, if it works for you, go for it, but dont buy one without trying it.

Bostic
12-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Both the X and A series of Axis pedals are available with the standard or long footboard. The X series is not as expensive (about 50 bucks cheaper usually) because it lacks the variable drive lever and has fewer bearings on it. I used the X series standard footboards for about a year and half until last month when I finally saved up for 2 A longboards. For me there is no comparison, they are the smoothest and fastest pedals on the market. It's very important to try them out first though, some people really hate them with a passion. BTW, that's a great deal pricewise, is that on ebay or a local shop?

drewdrums
12-30-2002, 10:16 AM
Actually, the "X" refers to the entry version of the Axis line of pedals. The "A" is the upper version. You can get them in "Longboard" versions, which extends the foot board so there is no heel plate. I love the Axis A longboard pedals. I am a firm believer in the "heel toe" double stroke technique, and have not found a better pedal to do that on than the Axis longboards. Their feel is definately unique, and have only found both extremes. Either people love them, or hate them. There does not seem to be a middle ground. Go ahead and give them a shot.

drewdrums
12-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Bostic,
Glad to find that you are thinking the same thing as me. I love them as well, and was surprised to see you typing the same thing at the same time.
Drums R' Life!

Bostic
12-30-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by drewdrums
Bostic,
Glad to find that you are thinking the same thing as me. I love them as well, and was surprised to see you typing the same thing at the same time.
Drums R' Life!

I'm going to get started on the heel toe technique, but I have a few questions. When you're doing 16th notes, what is the order if you were leading with the right leg?

right heel, right ball of foot, left heel, left ball of foot
or
right heel, left heel, right ball of foot, left ball of foot

As I have only played traditional ankle pivot heel up double bass for years, I don't have any muscle memory for heel toe, both ways seem like they could work. I wear only a size 9 shoe, and I'm finding a hard time getting a good heel stroke consistently, just playing basic slow quarter notes.

Another technique I'm working on is the swaying motion I noticed Derek Roddy of Hate Eternal using when playing 16ths past 210bpm.

homnitheon
12-30-2002, 06:56 PM
hey there,
iron cobras put out enormus power, axis are really fast, but u gonna have to forfit the loudness. I personally would tamper and tamper with the cobra utill u get it right

Butnutz
12-31-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by drewdrums
Actually, the "X" refers to the entry version of the Axis line of pedals. The "A" is the upper version. You can get them in "Longboard" versions, which extends the foot board so there is no heel plate. I love the Axis A longboard pedals. I am a firm believer in the "heel toe" double stroke technique, and have not found a better pedal to do that on than the Axis longboards. Their feel is definately unique, and have only found both extremes. Either people love them, or hate them. There does not seem to be a middle ground. Go ahead and give them a shot.

i wouldnt exactly say the x is entry level, it is just the more basic model, it has less whistles and bells than the A series.

i use a X longboards single, and its a fast, solid pedal, that is more durable than it looks.
it has a few small problems.
it tends to not sit right ith the bass drum hoop unless there is a thick carpet underneath it, and it can get sloppy reponse at looser tensions, also, the included beater on the x series pedals does not give as much volume as other beaters.

i use a tapered felt beater, and it works much better, but it is top heavy and the response is slower, (my IC beater is on the way).

id say go for the A series

drewdrums
01-02-2003, 06:36 AM
Hey Bostic,
Sorry it took so long to reply. I use the right heel/right ball of my foot, and then two on the left. It did take some time to get used to doing it that way, but it sure does make it easy to go from 16ths to 32nds when necessary, with having to double the speed of my the upper portion of my legs. The technique he uses with "Hate Eternal" is obviously just as effective, seeing as how sick he is with double bass. Of course, if you follow Virgil's technique, which is double on the balls of his feet, that must be effective as well.
I guess that is one of the many things that is cool about our instrument. Being such a physical one, people are always finding different and more efficient ways to do the same rudiments or styles.
See Ya,
Andy

Royalanguishdmr
01-08-2003, 07:35 PM
I dont mean an insult in that, i just want to say, while the pedal helps enormously, in the end, its your feet. I spent many years looking for the magic pedal, technique or setting, but in the end, it just takes practice. work your feet just like your hands, mainly singles and paradiddles. honestly, the practice techniquie i like the best is Q & A...do something with yoiur hands, then mimic it withyour feet. the IC are great pedals, but your feet are the biggest factor in your speed. Some guys fly on the GIbralter pedals, wich to me are like a ton of bricks, but its their feet. well, good luck!

Fran
01-09-2003, 01:01 AM
i agree with Royalanguishdmr, is all about your feel. Ofcoz, having an Axis pedal beats having a cheap 20 dollar one. all that clamps and springs are just things that makes you think this is a faster pedal. in reality, is skill. if you dont practise, no matter what kind of pedal you have, it wont' do any good. i say, try out a pedal that works for you. it dosen't have to be top of the line or anything. something you think is durable, decent, with a good price, then go ahead an purchase it. I guess the Iron cobra will be a good choice. is not expensive, and is smooth. IMO

phily05
03-22-2003, 04:30 PM
What makes Axis pedals so expensive? They look bad too.

GotMyDrums22
03-23-2003, 10:12 AM
I've used them before, I honestly didn't think they were anything out of the ordinary, IMO it seems to be just a mid grade pedal, but everyone has a different feel and a different taste.

xianx
03-24-2003, 12:42 AM
A good friend of mine used to play IronCobras, then moved to Axis...he is now switching back to IronCobras...he told me that the Axis is too fast...like, you get ahead of yourself because of it...I didn't understand that 'till I played it for myself...Axis is a good pedal if everything you play isn't really fast...but if you're playing alot of doubles & triplets at high speeds (I haven't been properly educated in the whole time signature thing, yet...) like him & I do, then I would suggest staying with the IronCobra...

korn
03-28-2003, 07:40 AM
i can't belive how cheap the kickers you guys buy are, in canada we pay $189-$199 for the ****y doubles for a good one we pay a good $350 and up. i understand wthat the convershion rate makes a price difference but it seems we pay crazy prices.