PDA

View Full Version : Which rack do you prefer and why?

punkkk21
12-29-2002, 02:23 AM
I like the Pearl Icon because it's square, so the clamps don't slide. Which do you guys like and why?

dRuTcH
12-29-2002, 02:28 AM
Big ones:D

bass04
12-29-2002, 10:31 AM
dRutch he's talking about drum racks

SLIPKNOT1
12-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Gibraltar. Do a search under "Drum Racks" This topic is covered on an almost weekly basis. You will get all your answers if you read the older posts.

SLIPKNOT1
12-29-2002, 11:47 AM
I just did a search and found 25 different posts on Racks, MANY of them are the same question you asked. Take a look.

RedHotMuDMath
12-29-2002, 03:49 PM
quick question to punkkk21: is there any reason why you have three consecutive k's in your user name? are you implying something?

punkkk21
12-30-2002, 12:07 AM
NO! I know I should change my screen name, it's just I like the number 21, and punk21 and punkk21 were already taken in Yahoo, so I tried punkkk21. Since it was already my Yahoo name, I like to keep all my names the same, so I don't forget them and my password. And no I'm not racist.:)

jon
01-02-2003, 06:36 AM
pearl Icon is cooler looking (i think), it's lighter, it's cheaper, and the clamps don't slide. enough reasons for me!!!!!!

SLIPKNOT1
01-02-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by jon
pearl Icon is cooler looking (i think), it's lighter, it's cheaper, and the clamps don't slide. enough reasons for me!!!!!!

Hey Jon, Icon racks are HEAVIER and more expensive then Gibraltar racks and Gibraltar rack clamps dont slide, so what rack are you talking about?

RedHotMuDMath
01-02-2003, 11:21 AM
haha, sorry for the misunderstanding then... my bad! :D

Maark
01-05-2003, 06:03 AM
Pearl racks pwn. Mainly because they're cheaper (here at least), heavier duty and can take toms with arms, not on L-rods.

revolution9
01-05-2003, 06:08 PM
i love my gibraltar rack. it is: less expensive, comes with cymbal mounts, has curved bars, and is (to me) more adjustable then the pearl rack. and despite popular belief the round bar does not slip at all. if ne ones clamps r slipping its because the dont have it tight enough. tighten ur clamps kids!

DRUMMAN
01-06-2003, 03:48 PM
tighten your clamps with your cresent wrench on your gibraltar

rack so it don't slip and i'll hand tighten mine on my icon

revolution9
01-06-2003, 06:22 PM
wow, ur an ***, gibraltar mounts have a butterfly wingnut u tighten WITH UR HAND.

revolution9
01-06-2003, 06:24 PM
ill post a pic if u want

SLIPKNOT1
01-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Revolution is correct, there is no need for any tools to tighten rack clamps on a Gibraltar rack. They dont slip.

revolution9
01-07-2003, 07:50 PM
right on slipknot!

Flyin6
01-09-2003, 09:36 PM
I bought my Tama rack in 1989 and NEVER had ANYTHING go wrong. There are tons of miles on it and it looks like new. If I get a scratch hit it steel wool and the brushed stainless steel is new again. Anyone says round tube racks slip.... are trying to sell you a square rack.

weps
01-10-2003, 01:03 PM
So I can't vote honestly! (long)

Since Pearl added the variable height crossbars, 1 sided and 2 sided units, adjustable clamps, and the leg boom arm adapters, there's about an equality of pros and cons.

Yes, square means easier hand clamping and extra memory clamps aren't needed for extra rotational holding like a round bar for the heavier items, Pearl's BIG advantage.

On Gibraltar's upper Road series, ALL the different bar clamps have increased clamping surfaces over their earlier Power series to solve rotational probs. (I use Power series and just add their cheaper memory clamps to EVERY connection and 2 on my 14" & 16" tom's clamp, just to be safe.) THEIR big advantage is the number of ways you can assemble them. It's like a giant tinkertoy set for adults, you are only limited by your imagination and cost of all the diferent length bars and clamps. You can INTENTIONALLY have rack clamps rotated at an angle so you can use straight cymbal arms instead of only boom arms with plenty of adjustability (and some weight savings). You can also use the clamps on the vertical legs for more position options. NOTE: you could grab a couple of Gibraltar Rack clamps and use them on the Pearl uprights! Heretical, I know, mixing the 2 brands but if you're adding some kind of extra Pearl arm, I'm sure that'll be a mitigating circumstance. You could add the Tama snare basket if you are going for the "all the world's a village" thing ;>) I've even used electrical conduit (EMT) for replacement and custom rack tubing using Gibraltar components.

So other than brand loyalty, or in excess, snobbery, pick what works for you.

I still use Gibraltar Power series cause it works. An ICON would work (& look) well with my current setup but I have too much invested in the other. To the point of having assembled and sold off 2 basic racks from all the parts I've accumulated. Gladly willin' to change over if someone was generous ;^)

Note to whoever said L arms only on Gibraltar: WRONG!

One last thing: Gibraltar gives you a 2x2" L shaped drum key for extra leverage on the keyed items, with each rack or extension assembly. They are my favorite drum keys. Once I started moving my rack assembled with all hardware (no drums), I did crank all the parts exceedingly hand tight. The other side of that drum key is a hex head that happens to fit most speaker and light stand fittings. Cool! And far simpler than other extended drumkeys.

weps

SLIPKNOT1
01-10-2003, 01:07 PM
Weps, i agree, that key they give you with Gibrlatar stuff is the best, i have like 10 of them and they are great. Plenty of leverage and the fact it is long when you spin it it gives plenty of energy especially when changing drum heads.

revolution9
01-10-2003, 10:00 PM
this has nothing to do with the subject but i like the key they give u when u buy some thing dw like a high end hi hat or pedal or something.

Mark P
01-11-2003, 10:21 AM
I own a Pearl Icon Rack system (all 3 sides), and they are fantastic. The clamps never slide, the rack is durable, and the new feet own. You can use 1 rack at a time, without attatching them, and they will hold up 2 floor toms, and cymbals without tipping over!!! TRY THAT WITH A GIBRALTAR

weps
01-11-2003, 11:48 AM
or at least your research. It's OK to be loyal, but the reference to Gibraltar racks not being able to stand single side on it's own is INCORRECT.

Early racks ALL came with no horizontal feet. Gibraltars mostly come with feet and have for the last 10 years. They LIKE to sell the one piece so you have to buy a side extension. They use 24" feet on the one sided (w or w/o wings) and also used to have some shorter ones available.

Pearl, until last year, ICON racks only had short feet that would NOT support a single sided rack. Now they sell a single sided rack with appropriate length feet assemblies to provide the leverage to hold everything upright.

About a year ago, Gibraltar started MARKETING a short auxilary side stand for floor toms or side percussion when you don't want a rack across the front. BUT any one side stand can be used for that. The new Pearl one sided stand's marketing ad mentioned this as one of it's uses.

Wouldn't surprise me now that Pearl has a one side rack, due to the longer feet, that they come out with a version with short side wings.

One extra thing you CAN do with a Pearl ICON is that you can use the square tubing as wire channeling for drum mics. Steve Ferrone (Tom Petty) does that but I think his have actual xlr jacks installed. But a couple or several simple holes drilled in the channel's backside would allow hidden cable routing. Me, I just use cable ties for semi permenent or velcro for short term hiding of wires on racks since I have the Gibraltar.

Whadda ya think, Pearlites, how about a replacement aluminum channel with predrilled cable routing holes with protective grommets installed? Call it something like "ICON Studio Pro".

weps

Mark P
01-12-2003, 11:08 AM
You seem to be very knowledgable. Thanx for the explanation.

:)

eric_drummer_ca
01-15-2003, 11:42 AM
I have a question for you rack users:
does anyone here still have the older Pearl rack the Jeff Porcaro Dr-1? I'm looking for bracket parts or ways of adapting newer Pearl brackets to it.
...no i don't feel like upgrading to a newer one because i still like it and i have too much invested in it. a few years ago I even had it powder-coated high-gloss balck and it looks great.

Thanks,

Bren712
01-15-2003, 02:02 PM
Its the ICON for me.

Just looks more steady. I have a curved rack at the moment and getting it to balance is a ******!!!

As soon as I can afford to change to an ICON I will.:cool:

Fixxxer
01-16-2003, 03:47 PM
i Like D's. C's are acceptable, but i think DD's are too big

2 basses4life
01-26-2003, 01:55 AM
i have used a gibraltar rack formy old exports. it was an older rack system with amix of new and old clamps on it. i have to say , on the older clamps,gibralters failes miserably but newer stuff, you could hang fat- bastard off of them and they wouldn't move!!!

however, i do like the icons in principle. two things i'd like to see change are, finding a method of offering a curved cersion of the sqare tubing,and to see the icon with special clamp ,like on my gibraltars, that would make it possible to use two horizontal bars on one vertical shaft. the current method takes up too much space. i'm pretty short, i have to have my basses almost touching to feel comfortable. and utilizing two legs, two verticle shafts and a special 12" extention bar .... that's just way to busy for the middle of my kit.

carl
02-12-2003, 09:19 AM
im getting a gibralter rack system when ive got the money, im not just judging by looks but i think gibralter racks look alot nicer than pearls icon, also ive got a export in mirror chrome so it would look amasing with a chrome rack, rather than a dull one

Rich
02-14-2003, 08:13 AM
If I am not mistaken the Gibralter rack is round. The Icon rack is square. On a round rack the holders tend to slip or rotate so everything can move out of position. I don't know if that porblem has been addressed on the newer racks or not but with the Icon rack you NEVER have to worry about that happening! Rich.:D

Fixxxer
03-04-2003, 05:03 PM
no, your right about the circle and square, but the round ones don't slip

Big King
03-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Here is a pic of my 1991 exports on my new icon rack.

I still have more cymbals to add, so it's not finished yet.

Great rack though. I posted a discussion about my set with it over in "Show us your kits." if you have any set-up suggestions for me.

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Rich
If I am not mistaken the Gibralter rack is round. The Icon rack is square. On a round rack the holders tend to slip or rotate so everything can move out of position. I don't know if that porblem has been addressed on the newer racks or not but with the Icon rack you NEVER have to worry about that happening! Rich.:D

Having owned Gibraltar and Tama racks for years and being around similarly equipped kits on the road, i can tell you, the clamps do not slip. I have seen 16x14 floor toms suspended by one rack clamp and they do not move. The clamps are designed in such a way that mulitplies the force of being just hand tight and makes them rock solid.

There is actually an advantage to a round tube rack vs square tube and that is the ability to angle clamps to better position cymbals, toms and accesories.

TLD
03-04-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1

Having owned Gibraltar and Tama racks for years and being around similarly equipped kits on the road, i can tell you, the clamps do not slip. I have seen 16x14 floor toms suspended by one rack clamp and they do not move. The clamps are designed in such a way that mulitplies the force of being just hand tight and makes them rock solid.

There is actually an advantage to a round tube rack vs square tube and that is the ability to angle clamps to better position cymbals, toms and accesories.

My first rack was a Gibralter. Although I agree that round tubes don't slip the way people say they do, they still can. To avoid this, you need to tighten the clamps like a motherker, especially on something like a 14x16 tom, which I did as well. The problem then arises of speedy movement. While I switch everything around, and trade positions and angles, I can leave my ICON clamps loose in many places, they aren't allowed to slip. This allows me to slide and pick up and move each clamp WITH even a lot of wiehgt on it with ease. I can get through the set up phase much quicker. With my gibralter, the amount of tightening you had to do to keep things stable and "like a rock" was very time consuming. Even though it seems very trivial, it does become a royal pain in the ***. I'll take the ICON.

SLIPKNOT1
03-04-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by TLD

My first rack was a Gibralter.

How long ago was it and what type of Gibraltar rack?, Road series or Power rack series? There is a BIG diference between the two.

I still cant figure out why so many people are saying you have to tighten the clamps "Like a ***************". I have never had to use tools or even tighten them very hard at, just a 1/4 turn or so past finger tight. I have my 18x20 Gong bass mounted at a 45 degree angle on my rack and its fine. As are my 12 cymbals, 3 rack toms and my snare. Here is another pic of a kit with a Gibraltar rack holding all the toms and cymbals. NOTHING SLIPPED.

brandrum
03-05-2003, 02:01 PM
are those paiste's i see?

Raven87
03-05-2003, 02:11 PM
pearl

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by brandrum
are those paiste's i see?

Why yes they are. Paiste RUDE's

MisterSeth
03-05-2003, 02:37 PM
thats joeys set right?

MisterSeth
03-05-2003, 02:39 PM
oh btw.......slip........you just completely changed my descision...i was going to get an icon rack.....but then you just said you cant angle clamps on the icon.......wow i never realized that ......im prolly going with gibraltar.......right now i have a Tama rack.....i dont really like it......but the clamps dont move at all

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Yeah, thats Joeys kit.

What dont you like about your Tama rack?. My only complaints were the higger cost for stainless steel tubing (Which you dont need) and having to use tools to adjust the rack as opposed to t handles.

My new kit setup would be impossible without being able to angle the rack clamps.

brandrum
03-05-2003, 02:47 PM
with the tama tom mounts it wouldnt matter if the tube were a triangle. and i have yet to hear someone with a icon say that they were limited by it.

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Its not just about Tom mounts. Cymbal arms too. It gives the flexibilty to bring things in closer on an axis you could'nt do with a tom arm or cymbal boom. And when i put pics up of my new kit, you will see MANY things that phyisically cannot be done using an ICON rack.

MisterSeth
03-05-2003, 03:22 PM
i have the cheaper of the 2 tama racks....once it fell over on me.......my paiste innovations crash hit the ground and it snapped the cymbal stand in half.......i had a friend weld it back together for me and its a lot stonger now......

the only thing i dont like a/b the gibraltar racks is they dont really have any 3 sided racks..... iknow i can put one together myself but it would be much easier to have it all together.....the only 3 sided racks i saw......they looked pretty small

then they have that curved one with 2 40" tubes......i was thinking on that and maybe adding another 40" tube to it b/c i need to go all the way around

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 05:27 PM
The curved rack with two 40" tubes is a P/N GRS-850DBL. Thats the rack i have. And i have THREE of those 40" side extensions.

SLIPKNOT1
03-05-2003, 06:28 PM
You are aware Pacific is doing a rack now right?. I have not seen one up close, but it SEEMS like it is a good design.

http://pacificdrums.com/pages/superrack.html

Fre
03-06-2003, 04:23 AM
I bought a DR-503 recently and I like it a lot. It's cheaper than Gibraltar, at least here in Belgium, it has 3 sides and has square tubing.

Fre

MisterSeth
03-06-2003, 11:36 AM
slip/.......for the 3rd bar you have.......did you orderall the parts for it seperatly? if n ot.....can you tell me what the name of it is.....thanks

MisterSeth
03-06-2003, 11:37 AM
is it the GRS 150C?

MisterSeth
03-06-2003, 11:50 AM
also.......im looking at the gibraltar clamps and now im confused......what clamps do i need for toms and for cymbals......

ive decided im gunna get the rack you have and that extension

but yeah i just need that question answered thanks

SLIPKNOT1
03-07-2003, 12:35 AM
Ok, here is a rundown, the double 40" bar rack is a GRS-850DBL. The 40" single leg side extensions are called GRS-150C. I have a total of three, two on the right side (stage right) and one on the left for a total of 200" of rack space. There are two different types of clamps, both fit any diameter tube for cymbal or tom holders, the difference is how wide the inner plate is. The wider plate version is more stable for heavy items like tom holders and ride cymbal booms. There part numbers are GRSMC for the regular (the regular width clamp) and GRSSSMC which is the wider plate version.

To help make Gibraltars Part Numbers easier, they break down like this:

"GRS" means "Gibralter Road Series" as opposed to "GPR" which stands for "Gibraltar Power Rack" which is the lesser priced lighter duty rack system. DO NOT use Power rack clamps with Road series curved tubes, they will not hold and they warn you against this. Anything you buy for your rack should be the same series.

Moving on, In the case of a my rack, the GRS-850DBL You know what GRS means but 850 is there code for the rack and "DBL" stands for "Double" as in double bass. The GRS-150 (the side extension) tells you its the "Gibraltar Road Series" and the 150 is thee code, the "C" is for curved signifying its a curved extension.

With clamps, a GRSMC is a (Gibraltar Road Series) with the "MC" Signifying "Mulit Clamp" The GRSSMC is a "Super Multi Clamp" since its heavier duty.
Memory locks?, easy, GRSHML Gibraltar Road Series Hinged Memory Lock.

Make it easier yet?

The GRS-850DBL will come with 4 GRSMC rack clamps and 4 memory locks. What i do is use the GRSMC clamps (Remember, they are the lighter duty clamps) that came with the rack for cymbals and then buy some GRSSMC clamps for my tom holders. Dont forget memory locks too. Each side extension comes with one GRSMC and one memory lock.

So figure out have many items total that will be directly rack mounted. Definatley toms, ride cymbal, main crashes, etc. I use clamp on booms for my lighter cymbals so you may not need rack clamps fo them. Then figure what is the most you will likley expand your kit in the near future and figure out what rack best suits your needs. PM me if you need help.
The cheapest place i found for Gibraltar is www.drumsdirect.com I buy so much from them they will probably give you a deal if you mention my name, they are great too.

I cant post multiple picks (Ok, i am too stupid to figure it out) but here is a visual aid.

SLIPKNOT1
03-07-2003, 12:36 AM
Above was the GRS-85DBL rack. Here is the GRS-150C side extension:

SLIPKNOT1
03-07-2003, 12:37 AM
www.drumsdirect has pics of everything else, also www.gibraltarhardware.com

rockdrummer00
03-07-2003, 02:02 AM
I love the gibralter racks,but I havent really had much experience with the icon raks,but once I buy a rack I'm going with gibralter...

weps
03-07-2003, 07:33 AM
Don't forget the vertical tube top clamps you can get from Gibraltar, CBA - Cymbal Boom Adapter, street price $15-16. Now Pearl has released a version that looks much smoother, it comes with the single sided ICON (BOTH legs) and can be purchased separately, street price $16-17 USD each. Both adjust from about 1/2" to either 7/8 or 1" so any cymbal boom arm & most tam arm will fit in them.

So these are cheaper than multiclamps, never requires a bar memory lock (for round tubes, although there is a cutaway for a boom arm memory lock) and frees up horizontal bar space - a regular hat trick or TRIPLE BONUS.

Both products fit the 1 & 1/2" round pipe so either could be used on either rack. Even though I have a Gibraltar rack, any new CBAs purchased will be Pearl's smoother cast unit for the extra dollar.

weps

Bostic
03-07-2003, 09:38 AM
The one thing I have been disappointed with Gibraltar Racks is the cymbal adaptor for the vertical tubes. It mounts via two drum key bolts to secure it so the tube gets two indents in it. The wing nut also never feels secure, almost like there is not enough leverage to it.

SLIPKNOT1
03-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Bostic
The one thing I have been disappointed with Gibraltar Racks is the cymbal adaptor for the vertical tubes. It mounts via two drum key bolts to secure it so the tube gets two indents in it. The wing nut also never feels secure, almost like there is not enough leverage to it.

I dont use those adaptors either, they pretty much force you to stay in that one place so i much prefer the rack clamps.

Alcatraz
03-12-2003, 11:38 AM
I LOVE the icon rack, I have 2. With the use of 4 of the new style cymbal holders that fit on the ends of the legs I have mounted a 2nd rack above so that my 4 crash and 2 chinas hang down off it.

I'll scan a picture of it when Ive taken one!

JoeDrumer
03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
If your really particular with you set up i would go with Gibraltar. Since their tubes are round you can adjust the angle on them better. But with the pearl DR's you have to relie on the tom holder.

Tabla_Man
03-15-2003, 09:01 PM
That makes no sense. If you don't use a rack then you have to use tom holder to achieve your angles.

It takes alot of time initially to get your setup the way you like it initially with the Icon rack, but once it's set, it's the same every time.

I've used Gibraltar racks, and now I have an Icon rack, and I prefer the Icon rack.

SLIPKNOT1
03-15-2003, 10:03 PM
When he is talking about angles, he is not just talking about Tom angles. Cymbal booms too. You cant angle anything on square tubing.

Tabla_Man
03-16-2003, 02:53 AM
You angle the cymbal stands and the tom arms just as you would, if you weren't using a rack. I don't understand the premise. And if you use the pearl tom arms and cymbal booms, the uni-lock tilters give you unlimited angels, unlike a ratchet, so it's the same effect as the round tubing.

I've used both Gibraltar and Pearl racks, and as I said, initially it takes a little longer to get your settings on the Icon rack than a Gibraltar rack. But once you have everything set the way you want, it goes up quick and it's the same every time.

Flattop1992
04-22-2003, 10:12 PM
I use a combination of both and I agree with Tabla_Man on the adjustablity issue except for it taking longer to initially setup. I've never had a problem whatsoever with both them and either one has not taken me any longer to setup than the other. It's your choice and I would go with the one you like the most. You can't go wrong either way!

Lucky7Band
04-26-2003, 07:12 AM
I cant really decide on this i like the Pearl racks because they are weighty and strong but the gib racks are light and sturdy and like flattop i use a combination of both.

Frederick Spahn
04-28-2003, 03:56 AM
I would prefer the Icon Rack. Especially the square bars persuade me. I play a 'round' Dixon Rack but with a new drum kit I will order the Iron Rack.

Bye,

Freddy

arush
05-27-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Flattop1992
I use a combination of both and I agree with Tabla_Man on the adjustablity issue except for it taking longer to initially setup. I've never had a problem whatsoever with both them and either one has not taken me any longer to setup than the other. It's your choice and I would go with the one you like the most. You can't go wrong either way!

but isn't there a reason for the top rack being a gibraltar!?! that would not be possible with an icon rack

the gibraltar rack can be expanded in any way you want, simply by buying extension bars IT'S THE GREATEST RACK for expansion capabilities

SLIPKNOT1
05-27-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Tabla_Man
You angle the cymbal stands and the tom arms just as you would, if you weren't using a rack. I don't understand the premise. And if you use the pearl tom arms and cymbal booms, the uni-lock tilters give you unlimited angels, unlike a ratchet, so it's the same effect as the round tubing.

Booms and Uni Lock's still limit your angles to there range or motion. By being able to angle the tube itslef, you can bring things in closer which gives you another axis to work with and not be forced to bring the rack in closer which will limit the size of the drums you use. In the pic below, you can see how the two Octoban holders are angled at 45 degrees on the rack which allows me to mount them above the Hi-Hat and still be able to keep the rack farther back to make room for my side snare. It would be physically impossible to do that with a square tube rack.

Bostic
05-27-2003, 09:00 AM
I use an x-hat on the right side of my kit clamped to a cymbal boom. The x-hat has ratchets at the clamp level as well as right underneath the bottom cymbal, on the tilter. I could never get that thing adjusted just right for my right hand with the cymbal boom straight. So I lean the boom arm closer towards me and the x-hat is in the perfect position. I know that's a bit of a weak point there but it still is an advantage of round tubing over square.

demononcable
06-16-2003, 04:52 PM
I kinda like Joey's Tama rack set-up. I really like tube style racks period.

vanillaCOKE2k2
06-17-2003, 08:18 PM
Both racks are the sturdiest racks in the business.:D

jszach
06-18-2003, 07:00 PM
I agree, you can't go wrong with either one. I now play on an Icon, but I had a Gibralter too. I switched because I always liked the Icon look a little better. Oh, and the gibraltar never slipped on me. Thats an urban myth.

Joe

drum_moose
06-19-2003, 11:06 AM
I gotta go with the Gibraltor- if nothing else for the look. The Icon set ups shown look a bit wrong when the bars are anything but at 90 degree angles to one another, and the double kick set up with the small connecting part is just too much. I have 2 kicks and 6 tripods to accomodate and the Gib 850 DBL with a side extension is gonna be my next move. Oh, and the dull square bars, no...sorry.

Smoke N Drums
06-24-2003, 12:16 PM
I got my Gibraltar rack before they upgraded the ICON.
The Road clamps do not slip. The whole thing goes up tears down EZ and the same every time.

I routinely switch between an MRX and DW kits with various numbers of cymbals and other percussion (depending on the gig/venue.) It takes very little time to make these changes.

weps
06-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Yes, they do dent in the tubing a little bit. What's the big? That section then is hidden either in a RA clamp or the CBA if you are repositioning your rack setup. The racks that come with the CBAs installed have them pinned in place with an expanding roll pin. You can do this yourself but it would then be a semi-permanent attachment.

Regardless, get the Pearl version for usually just a buck more. MUCH nicer looking, smooth casting. I'll probably pick up 2 or 3 next time I'm at a store that stocks them. Meanwhile I'm going to try to find some cap head socket screws to replace the drum key screws on the CBAs. They do look a little goofy sticking out like ears to me ;>)

weps

mdago
06-28-2003, 10:42 PM
Having not tried the gibraltor rack(word is they do not slip) I purchased an Icon rack. after reviewing what everyone else thought on the subject. The Icon rack looks great, and clamps definitly do not slip.( Im kind of partial to the Pearl name) I would recommend the Icon rack.

MudvaynianDrummer
06-29-2003, 08:20 AM
My favorite Gibraltar rack is the GRS 350C (that's the one with the wings?) but i still prefer the Pearl rack over it

Raven87
08-03-2003, 07:11 AM
wats some of the differences between the power and the road series

i have a power series rack and am going to get some new clamps. the road clamps would fit the power series rack tube right? aren't they both the same rack tubing

weps
08-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Raven87
wats some of the differences between the power and the road series

i have a power series rack and am going to get some new clamps. the road clamps would fit the power series rack tube right? aren't they both the same rack tubing

Yes, the road series EVERYTHING will fit on the power racks and vice versa EXCEPT that the power series clamps will not hold well on BENT tubing. You know, the spiffy rounded stuff. Wouldn't be prudent.

The cost isn't a whole lot more for the road series stuff over the power series when buying individual clamps and such, except the memory clamps (a lot more there). The Road series has more bar clamping area and is therfore a slightly larger heavier casting but not too much so. There is acually a road series clamp that has a road bar section clamp and a lighter weight power series attachment clamp. Stay away from those. For a buck or 2 more get the full road series multiclamp with twice the attachment clamping area. The road series castings are smoother looking where the power series are more angular and built for purpose, not looks. That said, I have a huge investment in power rack stuff and am quite pleased with their performance over the last 8 years.

You can go to www.kaman.com (the parent company) and get the details and products available.

weps

Flattop1992
08-05-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by arush

but isn't there a reason for the top rack being a gibraltar!?! that would not be possible with an icon rack

the gibraltar rack can be expanded in any way you want, simply by buying extension bars IT'S THE GREATEST RACK for expansion capabilities

Your correct, I couldn't have achieved the halo effect with the Pearl Icon and that is the reason is why I use the Gibraltar product. I wanted to remove any supports for the upper rack that where in the front or just stacked on top of the lower rack which was the way I have it before. Gibraltar's product was the best choice for me in coming up with a way to do this with the halo but I do like the Pearl rack just as much as I do the Gibraltar product and this is why I use a combination of them both.

Like I said before, you can't go wrong with either product.

SLIPKNOT1
04-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by pearlkid
am i still going to be able to buy the old sexy icon clamps? lol. i just bought a whole crap load of stuff around christmas and, no im not buying all new hardware

I don't know for how long, but yes, they are still available. GC has them for $10.00 each right now.

Hornbeeach
06-29-2004, 07:05 AM
I have a Icon Rack, I use all the three sides, it was handy for me with my old Pearl BRX but with my New Mapex Saturn Pro it's more awkard, the drum holders don't have an extension into the kit, there just one fit.

The Icon Rack is very heavy, it's a big industrial load of scalthing.
My Mate has a Gilbralter rack and it looks cool and is a lot lighter but i've never set my kit up with it so i don't know which i would perfer.