PDA

View Full Version : racks

liamruairi
12-28-2002, 02:14 PM
hi
does anyone know if the PC 50 clamps for the DR 503 rack will hold different sizes of cymbal posts, or do they only hold 7/8' diameter posts, cause i am thinking of getting one but done want to buy loads of new posts. My posts range from 5/8' to 1', will this be a problem?
Liam

satan40oz
03-29-2003, 12:19 PM
The PC -10 'S ARE ADJUSTABLE . I have a Dr-8o rack with 10' 50 ' and 8 ' s . Just for a quick tip you can get 2'' x 3/16 " weather stripping and make all the clamps have a tight fit

TonyTheDude
03-29-2003, 04:17 PM
my gibraltar rack is soon to arrive and im already thinking of buying more pieces for it. does anyone here know if all the gibraltar racks are compatable?

i think the only difference between the power and the road series racks are the clamps used to attatch the legs/feet/arms to one another but i could be wrong. well, i proberbly am wrong.

SLIPKNOT1
03-29-2003, 05:26 PM
You cant use "Power rack" series clamps on curved rack tubes. However, you CAN use "Road series" clamps on curved or straight tubing. Other then that, the tubes are interchangeable

nelly4eva
03-29-2003, 05:47 PM
yah...i saw this nelly video and this girl had a nice rack..you might want to check it out...nelly4eva

SLIPKNOT1
03-29-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by nelly4eva
yah...i saw this nelly video and this girl had a nice rack..you might want to check it out...nelly4eva

Get a life dude and stop spamming, you will soon feel the wrath of Captian Hook.

Nelly is not a musician, stop pretending he is.

TonyTheDude
03-30-2003, 03:29 AM
ta very much dude. and as for the nelly homejiswad, go home to nellyville and dont come back

cheerio

korn
03-30-2003, 01:39 PM
tony the dude, why is it that you feel the need to make fun of nelly. I'm just juessing that he's just trying to kling on to slipknot1's balls alittle more.

TonyTheDude
03-30-2003, 02:04 PM
im dissing nelly because not many people here like spamming

TonyTheDude
03-30-2003, 02:13 PM
this is the rack ive ordered,i think. so im guessing sidearms from the gibraltar 350c can fit on this no problem

SLIPKNOT1
03-30-2003, 02:34 PM
Yes, they will fit on that rack no problem.

TonyTheDude
03-30-2003, 02:51 PM
get in there my son! i can picture my kit already. that and my top secret drum wraps to go with it

pearldrummerkid
03-31-2003, 01:20 AM
how do u guys reckon this rack is. looks pretty cool and sturdy.

pearldrummerkid
03-31-2003, 01:21 AM
and also does nyone know if i could add this on the end of the sides if i need longer sides?
i know i would need a clamp but would this work at all?

SLIPKNOT1
03-31-2003, 06:23 AM
That rack extension will attach in place of the short bar in the pic at the top of the page. You can that put the short bar on the extension. That rack is great rack, one of the most popular models they make.

TonyTheDude
03-31-2003, 10:54 AM
yeah i noticed they were popular. they were out of stock when i tried to order one so i had to buy a 550c instead. but i'll just buy another arm for it

weps
03-31-2003, 11:38 AM
Tony,
You CAN attach the Road series side extension to the GPR-550. You CANNOT use the basic Power series Right Angle clamps to hold a curved bar nor use the power series multiclamps on a curved bar.

Tony and Pearldrummerkid,
If you look REALLY carefully, you can see that a right angle clamp is supplied with the Road series side extension to connect with the main rack. It looks like it's the crossing type vs. the type that terminates against the vertical on this unit. Side extensions from Gibraltar only come with ONE multiclamp. So on a rack with side wings, you'll still have a wing and a prayer, ...errr, right angle clamp for other uses.

All those rack pictures imply that the rack should be centered on the leg assemblies. And they should if all you are supporting is the rack itself. They work far better if you slide the legs (actually feet) back toward the weight carrying side for better leverage, a little or a lot. Also, when you add the side extension, swap out the longer foot to the rack's end and place the shorter foot as the corner piece. Or consider not using a foot assembly on the corner at all, less weight to haul. I know, looks matter & sometimes symmetry is preferred. Not having the foot does alter the height of the vertical. Nice thing about round tubing, a simple pipre cutter allows you to custom cut any lengths desired.

weps

msnyder
03-31-2003, 02:03 PM
That is very similar to the rack i have, except mine has the holes in the legs for cymbal arms, cost, the main rack with wings will run you around 219, thats the most common price i see, and the side extensions will be about 180 a piece, thats how i have my rack setup, its well worth the money.

Mike

TonyTheDude
04-01-2003, 11:40 AM
my gibraltar 550c has just arrived! the horizontal bar is not curved like i thought it was,which is a relief really.

BUY GIRBALTAR RACKS!!!!

im thinking of buying a 150c soon too to add to the side

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
04-01-2003, 11:51 AM
what makes gibroney, i mean, gibraltar racks better than the Pearl ICON series. In my experience, people who dis the Pearl racks never really owned or played on one, they're just jumping on the bandwagon of crap. Kaman is not better than Pearl, besides why go round when you could have square.

TonyTheDude
04-01-2003, 12:35 PM
nobody is saying they are better than pearl, how can they be? pearl are proberbly the most recognizable brand in the drum industry.

but having looked at every rack available, and almost considering the pearl icon rack, the gibroneys got my vote.

they have the strength, the looks, and the price whereas pearl have the name and the heritage. they are proberbly just as strong but MUCH cheaper and that is the decisive factor in many peoples case

by the way, i dont work for gibraltar or anything like that, im just a happy customer!

SLIPKNOT1
04-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
what makes gibroney, i mean, gibraltar racks better than the Pearl ICON series. In my experience, people who dis the Pearl racks never really owned or played on one, they're just jumping on the bandwagon of crap. Kaman is not better than Pearl, besides why go round when you could have square.

I have owned a Pearl rack. There not crap by any means. I have not seen anyone saying they are junk. Gibraltar and Pearl make two very different styles of racks. If your talking about racking a simple 5 piece kit with a few cymbals, either will be fine. If you have a bigger kit with alot of cymbals and want to expand in the future, the Gibraltars are simply a better choice that will be more flexible then an Icon. Gibrlatars multi clamps fit any size tom or cymbal boom, Pearl requires more then one size. Gibraltar racks allow you to angle things, Pearl does not. Gibraltar offers different length straight and curved tubes, Pearl does not. Gibraltar racks are lighter as well.

I have already said in other threads the pros and cons of each. If either one of them work the way you want, fine, you have a good rack. But "Kaman is not better then Pearl" is an opinion, not a fact. As is: "besides why go round when you could have square" Why do think square is so much better?. It limits you to mount everything vertical, no angles. My kit now makes use of angle mounting. I could'nt have the setup i have with an Icon rack. Round Vs. square is strictly an appearance issue, nothing more. Round tube racks dont slip. That has already been covered WELL.

TonyTheDude
04-01-2003, 02:07 PM
i set my rack up when i got home from work and i was surprised by not only the size( bigger than i expected!) but the weight of the thing. im only about 5"7 and not really ripplingly muscular or anything and i was doing bicep curls with it!

if there was ever an advert that should be done, its a little scrawny dude lifting a rack!

pearldrummerkid
04-02-2003, 01:00 AM
lol thats funny as.

with that rack i posted a pic of? how long is the side bar?

it looks pretty short and i plan to have:

left side bar: large hanging tom and 2-3 cymbals
front bar: 3 toms and 2 cymbals
right side bar: two large hanging toms and about 4 cymbals

will this rack be big enough and stable enough to hold all of this?

if not can u plese suggest an alternative thanks.

SLIPKNOT1
04-02-2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by pearldrummerkid
lol thats funny as.

with that rack i posted a pic of? how long is the side bar?

it looks pretty short and i plan to have:

left side bar: large hanging tom and 2-3 cymbals
front bar: 3 toms and 2 cymbals
right side bar: two large hanging toms and about 4 cymbals

will this rack be big enough and stable enough to hold all of this?

if not can u plese suggest an alternative thanks.

The pic on top uses a 40" main bar and each side bar is 24"

The rack side extension is 40".

What you mentioned should be no problem to mount the way you want. Just adjust the feet to keep it stable.

pearldrummerkid
04-02-2003, 01:11 AM
so would it fit fine without the extension or would i need it.it doesnt look very long. im mainly worried about the right side where i would be mounting a 14x12, 16x14 a ride, 2 crashes and a china.

i hope this would all fit. oh and about how much would that rack go for?

SLIPKNOT1
04-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Whether or not its long enough i dont know. It depends how you mount things.

The rack at the top, the GRS-350C sells for about $250.00 in most places, sometimes less.

I get my Gibraltar stuff from www.drumsdirect.com

korn
04-02-2003, 07:54 AM
just going back to the comment about Gilbralter being able to handel more than the pearl ICON, not true look at mudvayne's set up, he's using the dr500 with an extention peice and he has a **** load of drums and cymbols around his kit,,,,,I'm playing the same rack with my kit and i have 3 (16',17',17') crashes mounted
a 22' ride, 13' cable hats (going on soon) 3 (8', 10', 12') splashes,
and 2 (14', 18') chinese along with 10', 12', 14', 16', toms and a 8' snare (going on soon) and it works fine for me.

TonyTheDude
04-02-2003, 11:34 AM
i got mine from http://www.kingfishermusic.co.uk for 129 which is about $180?

i dont know dollars