PDA

View Full Version : Ahead drumsticks

slipknotguy515
12-16-2002, 04:37 PM
I picked up a pair of easton ahead 5b drumsticks yesterday and i couldnt be any more happier with a pair of drumsticks...i highly recommend them.

SLIPKNOT1
12-16-2002, 05:32 PM
I use Ahead 5B Rock sticks and i love them.

exportman
12-16-2002, 08:09 PM
i bought mine about a month ago 7A's, they are so nice. I won't be buyin' wood sticks again

Big King
12-16-2002, 09:15 PM
I tried them once. They just didnt feel natural. I didnt like the feel or the responce. I cant put my finger on it, but they just felt, well odd.

ohh well....

joey666
01-24-2005, 03:59 AM
Im currently using 2B's but I don't really like them,
Ive also tried the 5B's which weren't too bad,
but im gonna go back to the 5A's

Bruno
01-24-2005, 04:35 PM
I tried them once. They just didnt feel natural. I didnt like the feel or the responce. I cant put my finger on it, but they just felt, well odd.

ohh well....

I agree when i used em last year i just wasnt feelin "it". Also they arent very durable at all. After about an hour when practicing with my band(www.civilised.tk ;) ) one of them snapped in half.The next hour the bottom of the stick second stick popped off and all this white powder poured out. So i don't recommend them.but every one is different.

Dont Judge Me
01-24-2005, 04:36 PM
everything about them is amazingly good except the price.

danielmtg312
01-24-2005, 05:00 PM
what are they made out of. ive never seen them

Dont Judge Me
01-24-2005, 05:02 PM
aluminium i think. joeys sig rock and my ltd edition 5Bs are cool also. heres a link 4 ya:
http://www.bigbangdist.com/ahead_st.htm

Spam Wood
01-24-2005, 05:06 PM
Why are your 5B's limited edition??

I liked the Ahead sticks at first but then i played with my wood sticks again and i realised i didnt like the Aheads any more, They feel too heavy now that ive gone back to wooden sticks.

Dont Judge Me
01-24-2005, 05:08 PM
try the joey sigs they are real light. There are limited coz they are an anniversary series with a silver handle. I think its 20th anniversary but cant remember

Spam Wood
01-24-2005, 05:10 PM
Nah ill stick to my Vic Firths now :D

Dont Judge Me
01-24-2005, 05:12 PM
i use VF john dolmayans and they r gr8, vater dsk's r good but a bit heavy, joeys rock but could do with being longer, and the ltd edition 5Bs are good but could be lighter.

hobo_with_a_hand_grenade
01-24-2005, 10:38 PM
probably the only bad thing i have to say about the ahead drumsticks is if you try and do a snare click on the rim of your drum...it doesnt seem to sound like a wood one...but i dont do those too often...or actually closer to NEVER, but they arent very useful if you wanted to do that! but other then that i couldnt be happier with them...just buy grip tape ....and if you get too big of a size they tend to get on the heavy side...mine are 5b's and their perfect.

doublebass263
01-25-2005, 01:10 AM
LOL this thread is over 2 years old!!!!

and since then, i'm sure dozens more threads have been made abouit Aheads.

Just_Dan
01-25-2005, 04:02 AM
ive got the limited edition ones they are well sweet love playing with them. they are limited edition because its aheads 11th anniversary i dont think i spelt that right but you get the idea.

Jann
01-25-2005, 06:39 AM
I use Ahead 5 A-s & I am quite happy with those, but still I use wood sticks too.

Unlastinglove.
01-25-2005, 06:53 AM
Ben Grave from the Murderdolls use's them.
Some useless information.

roxyskinflint
01-25-2005, 07:03 AM
Ben Grave from the Murderdolls use's them.
Some useless information.

i think he was just using ones joey gave him when the murdedolls started...he is endorsed now though but doesnt have a signature stick...dave silveria used to be endorsed by em too i think he had a signature stick too but left and used vater but uses the ahead tape thats why the logos on his DSK's are half way up...

The Hellion
01-25-2005, 07:57 AM
i have the lars ulrich sticks and i liked them wery much to but i don't use them any more... be sury to replace the plastic sleeves when they are worn! I didn't notice that mine where finshed so i played them for 2 days and that resulted in a cracked crash and a big dent in my hi hat :(

gus_superstar
01-25-2005, 08:36 AM
i have the ahead slipknot sticks ! i just love them, i can hardly play with wood sticks now !

Hallowed
01-25-2005, 10:03 AM
I broke two of them..Didn't like them at all..They can never match the feeling and sound of the wood..

TempesT68
01-25-2005, 10:40 AM
anyone know if they came out with any new ones at namm?

JonnyOz
01-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Ahead 5B's
Ahead Lars Ulrich Signature
Ahead Joey Jordison Signature

Only the best use Aheads! :D:D:D

sam_wood
01-25-2005, 12:41 PM
i have the joey 5b's and they kick *** i couldnt go bak to normal sticks now they dont give u any blisters and they really do reduce fatigue the covers dont last long i cracked mine in 2 days but they only cost £5 to replace!

Thrush
01-25-2005, 01:43 PM
This happend to one of my 5B's and the sleeve wasn't even worn!!!

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101132

I like em, but don't like the sound they give on cymbals - namely the ride, I much prefer the wood stick sound, but they thunder on toms and power on my snare so thats cool.

Gone back to Vic Firth wood 5B's for the mo, and trying out 5B Carbosticks too :)

sam_wood
01-25-2005, 01:55 PM
had to be a manufacturing problem that has never happened b4 i belive!

regards sam!

kev
01-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Carbosticks, my local drum store has taken em off the shelves because so many complained about their hands sweating.

doublebass263
01-25-2005, 08:59 PM
Carbosticks, my local drum store has taken em off the shelves because so many complained about their hands sweating.

????? thats never happened to me. i LOVE my carbosticks. they're better than any other stick i've ever tried.

ZildjianTOOL
01-25-2005, 09:10 PM
i used to put hockey tape on my ahead stick grip beafcuse i hated the metal feeling on the grip

fretai03
01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Rhetorical question.

I wonder if New Zealand can get the signature range of Ahead sticks, I'd really like to try a set of those Tommy Lee Concert sticks. They look wicked.

DIRT
01-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Rhetorical question.

I wonder if New Zealand can get the signature range of Ahead sticks, I'd really like to try a set of those Tommy Lee Concert sticks. They look wicked.

:D Tommy Lee Concert... RULE! they pretty much play themselves. J/K. I used mine for months (cant remember but like 9 or so) before the sleeve split. They are very heavy and long. I use smaller sticks now and digging the Regal Tip E Series W 5a right now. Guess I'll pick up new sleeves and tips for the T-L Aheads to practice with from time to time to help keep my speed up.

DIRT
01-26-2005, 12:01 AM

The two pair of carbosticks I had were some of the best feeling sticks I've used with out any kind of grip tape. Never had a problem with my hands sweating. :confused:

ekk20
01-26-2005, 01:34 AM
I use Ahead 5B Rock sticks and i love them.

i bought a pair of 5a's and not so satisfied, may be im just not used to it yet but surely they are great sticks =)

roxyskinflint
01-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Lars and joey have been out years i would imagine it would be the new laser sticks

xpearldrummer24/7
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
I baught them, liked them.. up until I cracked a sleeve, and started losing parts. It's a pain in the ***. I'd rather just use regular sticks, in which i have no problem with. Sticks are just sticks to me I guess

Vekoma
01-26-2005, 02:46 PM
How are those carbon sticks? are they any good? I heared a lot of good things about them, about being nearly unbreakable and feeling just like normal wooden sticks (hmmm heared that about Ahead to)

Norther
01-26-2005, 05:02 PM
I've tried out Ahead sticks. The Joey Sig model, but I have a question about them. I perfer my Pro-mark, but the other day i was watching the concert DVD of Slipknot called Disasterpieces. And I noticed the sticks JJ were using were a lot longer then his sig model. So am I right or is it just my imagination?

Norther
01-26-2005, 05:10 PM
Yup, their definately shorter. I just looked at it right now.

01-26-2005, 05:38 PM
I have a pair of 2B's and I love them to death. Ahead is the stick brand I swear by.

DIRT
01-26-2005, 09:48 PM
How are those carbon sticks? are they any good? I heared a lot of good things about them, about being nearly unbreakable and feeling just like normal wooden sticks (hmmm heared that about Ahead to)

I perfer the Aheads for one reason and one only. The carbosticks done a little bit of damage to my 16" crash. I was talking to a guy once about them and he said he tried them at one time and they started messing his cymbals up. He told me to watch out for it. When I returned home I looked my crash over closely and shure enough it had about 3 small rough places around the edge (so small you had to feel for them with your fingernail, couldnt realy see them). As far as I know doublebass263 hasnt had any problems. You should try them out, may be the stick for U, just make shure you look over your cymbals offten.

ProgBlaster
01-27-2005, 08:16 AM
I bought a pair of Ahead 5bs about a month ago. they still look like new, and I play every day. I love my new Aheads!!! I think they feel ten times better than wodden sticks.

I used CarboSticks some months ago. The first think I“ve thought was wow amazing sticks. But after playing about 2 months with them I noticed that I got problems with my fingers. I think they“re way to hard. But they“re ok for the price...

ricohorton
01-27-2005, 01:03 PM
I picked up a pair of easton ahead 5b drumsticks yesterday and i couldnt be any more happier with a pair of drumsticks...i highly recommend them.
i like the 7A's > not good for rim shots though.

thechazsinger
02-04-2005, 11:05 AM
Love these sticks! The difference is akin to bouncing a softball on concrete and then throwing a super ball on the ground. The sticks just about bounce out of your hands and takes a bit of adjustment before you slip into the comfort zone.
My big lesson here was never, never let guest drummers play your Ahead sticks as it does take some adjustment and heavy handed players can bust these sticks and then you're out the $$$! I've lost two pair to guest drummers and now carry older wooden sticks around for just this occasion!
Stick technique is important and I've seen too many young drummers walk in and shred and break my wooden sticks by playing too hard. Let the mics and sound tech do their thing.

Chaz

Mr_Mark
02-19-2005, 02:22 AM
Rhetorical question.

yes we can!! can u believe it. lol i have JJ sigs and Lars Sigs, Very Awesome Sticks. u can buy my lars ones if u want, i find them a tad too heavy, pm me if u do want them :rolleyes: The rockshop stocks the entire ahead range i do believe, if they dont have them in chances are they can get them in.

SLIPKNOT1
02-19-2005, 08:45 AM
I've tried out Ahead sticks. The Joey Sig model, but I have a question about them. I perfer my Pro-mark, but the other day i was watching the concert DVD of Slipknot called Disasterpieces. And I noticed the sticks JJ were using were a lot longer then his sig model. So am I right or is it just my imagination?

Its just your imagination. The reason why the sticks look longer in the DVD is because Joey is a very small. He is proportinate 5'3. In other words, his hands are smaller then the majority. With that in mind, the stick will certainly appear longer when he uses them.

I have sticks of his from that tour and like all his sticks made for him by Ahead, they are all standard 7A.

branpsc
02-19-2005, 10:12 PM
nothing beats a good pair of wood sticks.

digger_uk
02-20-2005, 04:04 AM
i like using both, i find for long practising, nothing beats the aheads, as they just wont knacker your wrists out like wooden ones, but that said, if you get good at bounces with them you should find when you use wood sticks again your bounces should be incredible, with that in mind i generally use wooden for gigs

Norther
02-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Its just your imagination. The reason why the sticks look longer in the DVD is because Joey is a very small. He is proportinate 5'3. In other words, his hands are smaller then the majority. With that in mind, the stick will certainly appear longer when he uses them.

I have sticks of his from that tour and like all his sticks made for him by Ahead, they are all standard 7A.

Oh i see...thanks for your help.

Tre182
02-21-2005, 08:43 PM
i use the ahead joey jordison easton ahead 7a sticks. they are so awesome. i couldnt be happier with them

hobo_with_a_hand_grenade
02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
yeah i posted earlier (like 2 months ago or a month i dont remember) that i liked my 5b's, but i've since went back to my promarks...which are 5a's and im liking them again...my 5b ahead's feel like im swinging baseball bats at my drums and im afraid to hit my new splash with them...so im thinking of checking out some 5a's or even 7a's....but their 30$ so that will probably not be too soon.

Drummer-B
02-28-2005, 08:00 PM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one about the same subject.

Except for the Neil Peart signature series sticks, I use only AHEAD. Owning the, 7A, 5A, 5B, LU, JJ. Hopefully someday to collect all of them, heh.

Anyway, the only thing I have bad to say about AHEAD, is well, two things...Obviously the price, but the lack of actual "signature" on the sticks...Meaning, the JJ sticks are pretty much identical to the 7A's, and the Lars sticks are identical to the 5B's. So again we are pretty much paying for the name. I mean, an example (off the top of my head) that I have played with that is like no other (that I know of) were the Buddy Rich sticks. But now-a-days it seems like we're not really getting anything "special" other than the name on it.

Am I to think that if your band became famous and AHEAD (or another stick company I suppose) were to approach you and ask if you would like your own personal stick they would say "Well you can choose from these models and we'll just slap your name on them."

Though, as far as AHEAD goes they are my favor stick hands down. I love the feel, I just have such a comfortable playing mood when they're in my hands. Plus I want to see the new Tommy Lee silver series up close, they look kickin'.

Again, sorry for the revival but I wanted my .02