PDA

View Full Version : Pitch: High or Low

Gord The Drummer
12-11-2002, 12:15 AM
I know for myself, I like a snare that sounds like a gunshot, for high pitched and sharp for articulation, it is extremely sensitive, how bout you?

JOHNSON
12-11-2002, 01:47 AM
same thing here
although i like both
i do like high pitch better because it gives more attack because its fast well seems fast at least to me ;)

mrbeaver
12-11-2002, 05:28 PM
high...very super high

Dman
12-11-2002, 05:49 PM
I'll cast the third vote for high. Couldn't ever seem to get a tone I liked with lower tunings.

:cool:

snare drum guy
12-11-2002, 09:26 PM
I have many snares(17) most of them are 12",13' and 10".So I'll go with high.I also have an 8" snare.

depill
12-12-2002, 12:52 PM
I have two snares, the main snare is tuned High and the second snare is tuned low. I voted low because if you can tune the well they sound incredible( But don't get me wrong I love the high sound as well)

Teague
12-13-2002, 04:36 PM
i think that abe cunningham from the deftones has one of the best sounding snares out, he plays a tama bellbrass 6.5 x 14, it sounds sweet!

Pyrotechnic
12-15-2002, 07:30 PM
Not high, not low, just mid range, maybe slightly on the high side. I had my snare tuned chad sexton style earlier and while it sounded killer, it just wasn't right for the music i played. I think that sound is best suited for a spare snare in my collection.

madman
12-16-2002, 05:40 PM
it depends on what i'm playing...

jddrummer666
12-20-2002, 11:31 PM
I tune really high. Almost as tight as i can turn it. I didnt tune it that tight this time when i put on a new head and it sounds really really good right now.

Kick Drum
12-21-2002, 02:03 AM
I always tune my Dennis Chambers very high/tight. I use an Evans Genera Dry (which features an overtone ring and dry vents around the circumference.) What an oustanding sound: high-pitched pop, no ring and a cracking rimshot..! AWESOME.

emopunker
12-21-2002, 03:21 PM
Always high, for jazz and rock. The sound's gotta "cut" live; low pitch snares just don't "cut".

jpruett2002
12-21-2002, 08:20 PM
high is reallly better. it helps cut through the rest of the mix

BRIG6366
12-24-2002, 04:57 PM
I play a 5x14 Ludwig chrome snare and it just seems to sound at it's best dialed in pretty tight.

Even when I was playing an 8" deep Tama birch snare, I would crank it up and it would get a bright sound but with lots of depth and body.

phily05
12-25-2002, 07:33 PM
I keep mine as very high, like Travis Barker. :)

Richard Winfield
12-26-2002, 07:12 PM
I play electric blues using a 12" x 7" with a mid-high tension. It's a Conaway custom with a thin shell. I get a distictive pop from the diameter with lots of tone from the depth & thin shell.

A lot of blues artists expect the lower tuning associated with the "classic" recordings. I refuse to take a couple of grand worth of MRXs and tune them to sound like a cardboard box recorded with cheap microphone.

Needless to say, me and some blues guitarists haven't seen eye to eye. (I don't think tempo should "modulate" during a guitar intro either!)

Oh, yeah........ the 12" diameter is wimpy for cross sticking, so I use a Russ Miller Wedge.

perin
12-27-2002, 06:28 AM
mid pitch unless I'm playing funk....however I can't stand it in most of the clubs I play here how most house drummers seem to go for that mush snare to a point where you have basically no bounce.:o

Batter head cranked up so you still get plenty of stick responce and a nice rim shot but the other side tuned lower to give body. Nothing worse for rock than a "ping" snare. :cool: --in my hyumbale opinion

Nicko McBrain
12-28-2002, 11:05 AM
Low. I just like that sound, it sounds so good in my ears !! But I also like high pitch.

Rionthelion
12-29-2002, 11:43 AM
gunshot baby, i wanna hear that backbeat

Joe K
05-19-2003, 03:25 AM
I can appreciate all types of snare sounds, but my favorite is a nice, low/mid pitch that sits in the track, like the sounds that Jeff Porcaro, Larrie Londin, Eddie Bayers, and Paul Leim get/got.

I think Jerry Carrigan (Nashville studios) is the man responsible for bringing deep snare drums to Nashville.

reemixx
05-19-2003, 09:00 AM
I have a Pearl SensiTone Steel Shell snare, and it's tuned pretty high because it refuses to be tuned any other way. lol :p I think one reason is because it's a steel shell, and the other is because I haven't experimented with it enough yet. It has a nice attack (crack!) but has that "ping" sound to it as well. I don't mind that sound, but in faster rock music it can get slightly annoying. low-tuned snares can sound verrrry nice in your straight out rock music, definately. But experimentation is good.... So, can I vote for both? *grin* No, really, I voted for "high". :D

snare drum guy
05-19-2003, 06:02 PM
I love the ping.

fred
05-19-2003, 06:08 PM
If your fortunate, just carry different size/tuned snares with you? I got a 6 1/2 X 14 Sensitone Alloy I keep for that classic rock sound, 5X13 Maple for higher accents and just got a 3X13 Piccolo Steel for the high's(gunshot) and accents, whatever applies:p

doc_on_drums
05-19-2003, 07:33 PM
I like my snare tuned just tight enough to get good stick response (about one turn past finger tight). It just seems to me that cranking the head really tight looses the distinction of different woods. I like my snare to still sound like a drum, ie the sound of the wood coming through.
If you play a metal drum, crank away, they don't sound like a real drum to me anyway.

4thelementdrummer
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
im slightly on the high side cuz i like a nice strong sound a lot of the time but without the gunshot cut, a cranked side snare (maybe firecracker) would be nice. hmmm......

Hardball
05-29-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by doc_on_drums
I like my snare tuned just tight enough to get good stick response (about one turn past finger tight). It just seems to me that cranking the head really tight looses the distinction of different woods. I like my snare to still sound like a drum, ie the sound of the wood coming through.
If you play a metal drum, crank away, they don't sound like a real drum to me anyway.

Doc, I couldn't agree more. A wood snare should sound like a wood snare. I feel for those guys who have to buy and/or tune a snare simply because they're not even being heard. D*mned guitarists, just because the amp has a "10" doesn't mean you gotta ignore the other numbers.

ROBB283DT
06-01-2003, 06:44 PM
I like my main snare pretty high. I like to get a good crack out of it and I like to hear goast note definiton clearly.

nealybird
06-01-2003, 08:13 PM
I crank mine pretty tight, but not as tight as it will go. I think around 90-95 on the drumdial.