View Full Version : double bass pedal tips

sumir
12-08-2002, 10:05 AM
hey guys,
just wondering if u guys have any tips dat i can follow

thanks

Jamie
12-08-2002, 03:04 PM
practice! (obviously) and also, for stamina etc. go to your local gym or whatever and do lots of leg workouts, and running and cycling and things that will increase your leg strength and speed and stamina. works for me, i can feel myself getting quicker and it feels amazing!!:D

Gord The Drummer
12-11-2002, 04:38 PM
start slow!!! And always remember, double-bass parts in songs sound way faster than they really are, remember, relax when you play, start slow, and work your way up from there.

barbeloh
07-26-2004, 03:18 PM
re: working up your double bass chops -

yes, definitely start slow and with a metronome!! This is essential!

I wouldn't recommend working out unless you're trying to learn to play louder, not faster - increasing speed is less a matter of increasing muscle strength (although muscles help, just like you have a little more endurance with sticks if you lift) than in using less of your leg and more of your foot. When you watch someone "running" the double bass the leg barely moves - all the action's in the wiggling foot. I played for a year as hard and fast as I could until a drummer explained this to me, and I found that my speed went up almost instantly when I took my mind off of working my thighs and put it on working the top of my foot. Best exercise for developing this: try to play (r-l-r-l, real simple) as softly as possible. this is hard at faster speeds and will force your leg to shut up and let your foot get to work, something which is counterintuitive for those of us who are used to playing heel-up and putting a lot of power into it with the thighs. This exercise will also help your hi-hat technique when you play single bass. Learn to switch your lead foot (l-r-l-r), practice syncopation (just play your sticking exercises with your feet instead), throw ostinatos on top of those. This will suffice for metal, if you want to go further with the prog/fusion stuff go to Bozzio, Portnoy, and Peart videos.

Balance is very important. A good seat will get you farther than an expensive set of pedals. put your balance in your butt so your feet are free to work the war drums!

Finally, I have found it very useful to loosen the springs on the pedals. playing quick you will find that they start to work against you and you can waste a lot of energy making them go back to the drumhead faster than they want to. However, I would be surprised if this were the rule for every fast double bass player.

6 months into playing double bass, I could barely work through L. Ulrich's beats. After a few months of using these strategies, even the fastest thrash (Lombardo!) became easy and I could start warming up for practice with licks from Morbid Angel and Emperor!

thetrooper
07-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Buy the video from the Hate Eternal drummer, Derek Roddy. Some of the fastest feet on earth. www.derekroddy.com