PDA

View Full Version : To ring or not to ring

Blank
12-05-2002, 02:45 PM
What is your preferance for snare ring?

I often switch and experiment with different forms of muffling depending on which snare I'm using.

What about you?

death row dog
12-05-2002, 05:59 PM
Depends on what im playing. If im playing fast metal music with lots of blast beats in it i use my 14x5.5 steel shell snare tightened up to the last with no muffling atall so there is a lot of ring. But if im playing grind core metal i have the same snare tuend a bit looser and i use a remo ring on it.

If im playing slow rock i use a 14x6.5 stell shell snare (its not mine) that isnt tightened too tight and i muffel it aswell.

Depends on the music style and preference.

MusicMan
12-06-2002, 09:26 AM
Hi -

I find that using a little ring sounds best!

What I've found works great for all of my snare drums is using the plastic ring (only) of a Remo Muff'l underneath the batter head of the snare drum, and then using the 1" wide foam ring (from the same Muff'l) to rest freely inside the drum on the bottom snare head.

This method takes about half of the ring out of the batter head, and eliminates some of the ring and buzz from the bottom snare head for a perfect "little ring" sound without choking the drum.

Hutch
12-06-2002, 01:10 PM
When I play live i like a lot of ring cos it just helps it cut thru the mix but when i'm practicing i take a bit of ring out just because i'm playing alot quieter and the ring is to intense. I no longer use muffling cos i can tune my snare well enough to control it.

Hutch :eek:

PureRockFury
12-06-2002, 02:18 PM
The rule of thumb I have learned is to keep the ring in your snare. The more ring and overtone you have the better the snare will cut through the mix in a live un-mic'd situation which some people have to do.

If you do have a concert where you are close mic'd you might want to control the ring a bit but don't completely remove it or you have a flat dull sounding drum.

snare drum guy
12-06-2002, 11:41 PM
The more ring the more cut.Remember when you are playing live and you have guitars,bass,vocals maybe keys the fist thing to go is snare ring.You wont really be able to tell if the snare is too ringy.If you start with a flat muffled snare in the end with the rest of the band you ar going to have a very flat muffled dull sounding snare.

Drummer1
12-06-2002, 11:43 PM
Ring, ring, ring....Hello? Yeah, Sup, It's Ring. True.

TLD
12-07-2002, 01:49 AM
I can't decide.
One day I want a staccato CRACK!
Next day I want a fat rattly sick-overtoned snare
The next day I go for a tight riny pingy steel sound.
I can't decide!!!

snare drum guy
12-07-2002, 02:13 AM
What snare do you use when you want a ringy pingy sound out of your snare?What heads/tuning/size/depth?

Drummer1
12-07-2002, 02:31 AM
Well, I find that a steel shell rings the most. I have several snares though.

My Chad Smith (Steel)with a Remo Coated CS bottom dot head. Tuned ala Stewart Copeland will ring for days.

My Steve Ferrone (Brass) with Diecast hoops and a regular Coated Ambassador tuned kind of medium has a very nice focused ring to it.

My BRX 5.5x14 with a Remo Suede head has a very nice ring when tuned to a higher pitch.

I just played aEric Singer snare today that had a great ring to it.

I have also used a Olcheltre Phantom Steel snare 6x14 thick shell, that almost made me deaf.

I am considering a Paiste/Olchetre snare next or a copper shell. I am trying to find a manufacturer to make me a 5 mil copper shell snare.

Hope this helps.

Phi
12-11-2002, 11:24 PM
Hey drummer1,

Have you ever contacted Mr. Dunnett from Dunnett Drum Co. (http://www.dunnett.com/)? Although he does not like to make thick shells, he will do it if someone wants it (and for a price). He is a very respected man and only uses the finest for his instruments (you might have heard about his titanium snares) that all come with Nickel Drumworks Piston-drive strainers.

Phi :)

DED
12-12-2002, 09:28 AM
I'd rather let the song or project determine the approach I take on my snare muffling . . . within reason.

If someone wants a dead, thuddy sound I can give it to them and if they want a bright, pingy sound I got that too! As long as I have the opportunity to address the sound myself, I'm okay. I might have a problem if someone helps themselves to my drums without my permission (it happens) but I'm there to get the job done.

stavis
12-14-2002, 10:13 AM
i like it wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open, let the true character of the drum show.

mrbeaver
12-14-2002, 11:29 PM
Yes, if the snare is loud i prefer no ringing, but if it isnt very loud a like it to ring a little so it cuts better.

Wolfix
12-20-2002, 08:35 AM
Obviously it depends on whether you play your snare primarily for practice, recording or live performance.

My kit is for practice only at the moment, so I go for as little ring as possible. I also have a fairly resonant space to play my kit in, so the more muffled, the better IMO.

The ideal would be to have a nice loud open ring (unmuffled) for optimum live sound but a good temporary muffling system for when you just wanna jam at home. I find a fabric ring works really well for this purpose.

emopunker
12-22-2002, 01:09 AM
For me, loud and lots of ring for rock music. Little muffling for jazz, having little ring makes it musical, but not too much ring to interfere with songs.

Mr McDee
12-22-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi

I've found that I don't need to use any kind of muffling to reduce ring on my snares -

Mind, I'm playing a Pearl Soprano - which is just SO easy to tune....lob the head on, tighten it up - whack it - 'yeah....that sounds good'. Job done.

I wouldn't ever stifle the drums' natural sound.

Cheers

Mark

Richard Winfield
12-26-2002, 07:02 PM
I adjust both the pitch and amount of ring to the gig. I played a Rock gig last week and played all my MRXs wide open.
(They sounded killer !)

Usually I'm doin' electric blues, so I'll use moongels to control the sound as needed always keeping some ring in the snare.

mrbeaver
12-27-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TLD
I can't decide.
One day I want a staccato CRACK!
Next day I want a fat rattly sick-overtoned snare
The next day I go for a tight riny pingy steel sound.
I can't decide!!!
Amen same here. I just can't be satisfied

Mr McDee
12-28-2002, 03:11 PM
Hi

If you want all those things in one snare, I suggest you go for a second-hand Ludwig 400.

I've just got one and it is an awesome beast!

It has everything - and is apparently the most recorded drum ever!

If you can afford it - go for a Black Beauty....wow...they are NICE

Mark

Alex Hellner
01-01-2003, 10:43 PM
i use very little muffling. Just a small piece of duct tape (about 1x1") at the edge of the head right before the hoop. i'm very pleased with the sound out of my snare, it's a 5x14" maple FF.

i like the ring, but not quite as much as it comes naturally, and i can make it vary by different tunings.

Fredzs
01-02-2003, 07:43 AM
if im in the studio, i prefer no ring, but w/ the band, i use my 14x3 piccolo, and even though it has no muffling, it has no ring cause of the head, its tuned TIGHT.. both heads, for a loud crack!

Kell
01-03-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Alex Hellner
ii'm very pleased with the sound out of my snare, it's a 5x14" maple FF.

i like the ring, but not quite as much as it comes naturally, and i can make it vary by different tunings.

Dude- what heads are you using on the maple FF? I have the same, but slightly deeper shell, and I havent used the maple shell in ages (steel seems easier to tune and doesnt ring anywhere near as much as the maple). Does anyone else get huge rings from maple shells? I am not averse to ringing, but this thing is like a church bell.

Jazz KC
01-03-2003, 10:25 PM
Mr McDee....

If you want all those things in one snare, I suggest you go for a second-hand Ludwig 400.

I also have a Ludwig 400 and agree that is one of the most versitile snare drums. I own five snare drums and the Ludwig is the only snare I have used now for months. It is perfect both live and in the studio, an so easy to tune!

adamthedrummerboy
01-05-2003, 03:04 PM
I've got a mapex pro 14"x5" as my main snare with no dampening, which gives just a bit of ring when tuned high.

For other sounds I've got a tama soprano piccolo 12"x5.5" which either has an o-ring on for ultra tight poppy sounds, or no dampening for really ringy drum'n'bass type sounds.

Willie
01-09-2003, 02:06 PM
If the music is loud and live, a little ring is acceptable, otherwise a ringer will sound better

pearldrummerkid
02-10-2003, 03:18 AM
i like my snare to ring a crap load
when i crank the crap outta my snare (like to the point of bending tension rods) my snare sounds like one of those 10" tama steel mini tymps and at rings like a telephone. good stuff

giantmink
02-10-2003, 05:49 AM
I like ring, lots os tone to it. I have a 5x14 Copper Free Floater. I tune it medium-tight with no muffling and a 2 ply head. I like a lot of ring honestly.

Smoke N Drums
02-12-2003, 07:03 PM
This snare will ring towards the edge and be dry in the center.

It is a Conoway Custom 12x7. I had it made with a thin shell to add some body and tone to the pop and crack you get with a 12" snare. This snare has a tons of crack and pop. I go more for the pop. The crack happens more at a higher tension.

I've also added a Yamaha Russ Miller Wedge since cross stick sounds wimpy on a 12".

treetrunk
02-16-2003, 02:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hutch
[B I no longer use muffling cos i can tune my snare well enough to control it.

Well said dude, I have gotten to this point out of
just plain ole trail and error. I prefer a ring, but can
control it after about 5 min of tweak and tune.:p

MatthewWD
02-19-2003, 11:43 AM
you have to tune the drum the way it wants to be tuned, with the head you like to use. when all that's done, it was meant to sound the way it sounds. when you muffle a snare drum too much it comes out sounding like a cardboard box. i DO, however, use a lot of "Evans HD Dry" snare heads to dry up the sound a little

DAN
02-19-2003, 10:54 PM
I use a cruddy CB 5.5x14 snare that i crank up all the way until i cant possabily turn it any more.

For My ska band i hit tons of rim shots ( i love rim shots) and let the snare ring.

For my stoner rock band i put one of those rem-o things on it.

also at all times there is one of those bass drun impact patches in the middle of the snare

doc_on_drums
03-11-2003, 07:01 AM
I don't like any snare ring, I like my snare to crack with quick snare decay. I tune my snare high and dampen both heads with a narrow strip of felt in line with the snare chain. I get a quick crack sound and my crossticking gives a good woody sound without turning the stick around. If the band plays at a sensible volume on stage (under 95 decible, let the PA deliver the volume to the audience) then the drums "cutting through" isn't an issue.

pearldrummerkid
03-13-2003, 04:37 AM
i too use a HD Dry head but still get lots or ring. ill be going for something more like ambassador next time to get an even brighter, more open, ringier sound :-)

carrjam
03-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Little ring...

The only thing muted on my kit is my Bass Drum.

jamezzz122
03-16-2003, 04:13 PM
no ring for me.....i'll trade all the ring in for crack(not the drugs)

jamezzz122
03-16-2003, 04:13 PM
no ring for me.....i'll trade all the ring in for crack(not the drugs):D

Talon
03-20-2003, 10:24 AM
I like for my snare to have a sharp cracking sound, but it's also good to have a little ring too so I let it ring a tad.

ROBB283DT
04-01-2003, 08:59 PM
i like a good amount of ring, but if it interferes with a good sound then I will change the head setup. I still use a regualar Evans G2 on my old lugwig for a wide open semi dry ring and I use an evans hd dry on my main snare for controled ring.

Adrian NoRi
04-11-2003, 09:04 PM
I switch

:cool:

treetrunk
04-14-2003, 10:34 PM
I just bought a pearl maple 12x7, and let me tell ya, it has plenty
pop, a tad of ring, plenty of CRACK, and a bitter dryness all in
one pretty 12inch shell.

It is official. The new sound of a snare
will be called........PORINCRAD:D :D jk, lol

opus138
04-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by treetrunk
I just bought a pearl maple 12x7, and let me tell ya, it has plenty
pop, a tad of ring, plenty of CRACK, and a bitter dryness all in
one pretty 12inch shell.

It is official. The new sound of a snare
will be called........PORINCRAD:D :D jk, lol
what Pearl line did this snare come from? I'm contemplating the same size in MW, but it doesn't look like it can be done, and Carl is on vacation, so I won't know until next week.
Thanks!

treetrunk
04-18-2003, 10:15 AM
Hey Opus,
Sorry it took so long for me to reply, but I've been having
computer problems. Anyway the snare comes from the
Saprano (spell check) snare line. It is the 8ply 12x7 version
on the Pearl drums website. I believe it is an effects snare.
Hope this helps.