PDA

View Full Version : Whats better I.S.S. or Optimount?

luvmydrumz
10-03-2002, 09:37 AM
Anybody used both systems? Which should I get? And why?

OD-Drumr
10-03-2002, 10:38 AM
I'm thinking of converting my mounts myself. Had the same question but it seems that ISS may have a tendency to warp the hoops over time. Optimounts seem like the way to go.
Since there aren't any official Pearl dealers on this part of the planet, I'm getting them from a guy who imports his own accessories. They're used, but I guess it'll have to do...:(

Wickerman
10-03-2002, 11:17 AM
I have both, opti and ISS. I HAD to get opti mount becasue i added all dies cast hoops on my kit, and honestly, withthe hoops and the mounts, the drums doubled in weight.
I personnaly do not recommend it, if anything, get super hoops and your rim warping problem will be solved.
I am now looking to buy super hoops to put my ISS back on... i prefer it and again has less contact with the shell then opti mounts. Just my .02

luvmydrumz
10-03-2002, 11:32 AM
Thanks, thats the kind of advise I was after. Have you ever had the tom arms mounted directly into the toms. My kit is
about 7 years old, so 3 of the toms are mounted that way. I've never had any problems, but I'm wondering how much it's hampering the sound.

Wickerman
10-03-2002, 11:48 AM
Yes I had an older export kit withthe tom arms through the shell.. and yes it does make a difference.. the shell does not resonanate as freely withthe arms through... if you ge the ISS also get the cover plate kit for the existing holes in the shell.

luvmydrumz
10-03-2002, 11:57 AM
Thanks, I'm going to order them now.

luvmydrumz
10-05-2002, 11:06 AM
How are your rims after using I.S.S. for a while. I read on a different thread that it warps the rims and possibly the drums.
Can this be true?

CaMinO
10-06-2002, 08:27 PM
Could someone post a pic of optimounts?
My export came with I.S.S. , and i'd like to know what these optimounts look like

PADman
10-07-2002, 04:13 AM
Here's what they look like off the drum :

Wickerman
10-07-2002, 10:12 AM
ISS do not warp the drums, if they did, Pearl would have not continued to make them. the hoops yes they do pull them out but not enough to notice really.

felixdacat
10-10-2002, 03:48 PM
So does anybody know the TRUE answer about the ISS warping the rim or not? I have the ISS now, and i don't want to switch to the optimount if i don't need to.

PADman
10-10-2002, 09:57 PM
Here's my 2 cents worth on the great ISS/Opti debate :

ISS mounts don't warp the rim to any noticable extent. They do however affect the tuning stability of the drum . If you tune the drum initially so the pitch is the same at all the rods, as you play the drum it will go progressively out of tune at the rods nearest the clip points. The time it takes for this to happen will depend on how heavy a hitter you are.

OptiMounts surround the brass inserts in your lugs with rubber and don't affect tuning whatsoever, no matter how hard or how long you hit.

I have a friend who works for Lockheed-Martin's aerospace division as a mechanical designer/engineer to give me his unbiased professional opinion (he's not a drummer) on the merits of several different drum suspension systems on the market. He picked the OptiMount as the most intelligently designed and effective of them all.

That's all folks! :p

OD-Drumr
10-10-2002, 10:28 PM
there ya have it, Optimount it is.
do the conversion kits come with the hole covers? or do I have to work some magic with with plexi-glass?

felixdacat
10-11-2002, 10:41 AM
I have a friend who works for Lockheed-Martin's aerospace division as a mechanical designer/engineer to give me his unbiased professional opinion (he's not a drummer) on the merits of several different drum suspension systems on the market. He picked the OptiMount as the most intelligently designed and effective of them all.

So out of all the suspension systems out there (DW RIMS, ISS, OPTIMOUNT, TAMA STAR-CAST MOUNTING SYSTEM or even the Yamaha YESS System), the OPTIMOUNT is the best one out there?

dmerrell
10-11-2002, 12:12 PM
I have to vote for I.S.S. , They have never given me any warp problems. they are used on masters kits by many people. and they are much lighter, and visually more apealing than Opti's...

D merrell

luvmydrumz
10-11-2002, 02:00 PM
So lets get this straight the rocket scientist who doesn't drum didn't like the I.S.S. ?
Did he file a report on his findings.
I wanted people who have tried both to give me their honest opinion.

I already ordered the I.S.S. mounts. Pearls high end kits have them and I really haven't read anyone in this forum complaining.

Would you like to stick your head up a bull's *** or take the butcher's word for it? Tommy Boy

PADman
10-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by felixdacat
So out of all the suspension systems out there (DW RIMS, ISS, OPTIMOUNT, TAMA STAR-CAST MOUNTING SYSTEM or even the Yamaha YESS System), the OPTIMOUNT is the best one out there? If OptiMount wasn't the best, would Pearl be using it on their best drums? They do their intended function better than any other competing product, period. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure that out. :rolleyes:

luvmydrumz
10-11-2002, 03:49 PM
I thought Pearl uses the I.S.S. on their top of the line kits. Am I wrong?

Carl Peterson
10-11-2002, 03:53 PM
We use Opti-Mounts on upper line gear..OR, if you buy Masterworks..You can choose either..:D

luvmydrumz
10-11-2002, 04:01 PM
Carl,
Does that mean Optimounts are best. If so why?

PADman
10-12-2002, 12:06 AM
The main reason Pearl started using OptiMounts was to provide a superior suspension system for their drums that use MasterCast die-cast hoops. ISS will not work with them...only 1.6mm and 2.3mm steel hoops. OptiMounts will work on practically any drum made by Pearl. You have the most flexibility in hoop choice with them, and most of all, a stable (non-bouncing) mount.

So even if you were to order a custom MasterWorks kit, you can't have ISS and MasterCast together. Another plus in OptiMount's favor is you can change a broken drumhead without removing the drum from the tom arm. To change a batter head with ISS requires you to remove the entire drum from its arm.

I predict in the next several years that ISS will be discontinued and OptiMounts will become standard on all Pearl drums.

felixdacat
10-12-2002, 01:48 AM
Okay, i understand how the optimount is really good.... But are there any flaws w/having the iss, other than the rumor that it warps the hoop. And with having the iss, does it REALLY affect the tuning? Does anybody with personal experience really dislike the iss?

PADman
10-12-2002, 11:56 AM
felix, I have to retune my ELX toms with ISS mounts once before every gig and I'm not a heavy hitter. Using lug-locks doesn't seems to make any difference. It's not that big a deal since I always touch-up tuning as well on my SRX's with OptiMounts. Heat and humidity alone will stretch a drumhead...no matter what the head manufacturers tell you.

I've just noticed over the years of using ISS that the rods nearest the clips seem to the ones out of tune the most. I've had a couple of weeks worth of experience with my new SRX's and they don't detune in that particular manner.

So I don't dislike ANY suspension system. They sure beat having none at all !!! :D

Carl Peterson
10-14-2002, 08:13 AM
luvmydrumz-

We use die cast on upper line kits.We dont make a ISS for diecast.Thats why opti's are used..
Personally I have both..Ofcourse you'd tune your kit before you play it..It goes out of tune from when you smashed them the last gig..Also,room temp and weather conditions are not the same as the last gig..I never had a lick of problems with my ISS and I consider myself a hard hitter.I also never warped a rim in my life using them.True , this may have happened to others,but rare.I can't say which is "better",due to the fact I like both alot..I will say I do like opti's over ISS on hanging floor toms though.The Opti's keep them from bouncing when you lace into the drum..:D

MNFade
09-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I started with EX, ELX, and worked my way up to the Masters series. I currently play BRX for my gig kit and MRX for my Practice kit.

I have used the older ISS and the newer ISS on both stock hoops, superhoops and superhoops II. The newer ISS with the diecast hooks were much better and I never had one come off. However, over a period of time...hanging a large drum (14"-16") they will warp a stock or even 2.3mm hoop. Also the newer ISS will fit Pearl's Mastercast hoops. I happen to use one on my Aux-snare which is a DIY custom finished Pearl 6x10 Maple Popcorn snare inwhich I added a Mastercast hoop as the batter hoop.

I love the Optimounts. If put on correctly and checked regularly work perfectly. I use Mastercast hoops for batter and Superhoops II as Res. Don't need the extra weight for a Res head or the possibility of over choking the Res head.

JEFFa.k.a.ANIMAL
09-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Look into RIMS, or equivalent type mounts.

MNFade
09-05-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks bro,
I did, don't like the bouncyness, prefer the stability of both ends of the drum being used.

Stoovey
09-05-2004, 08:53 PM
It is sometimes good to have non-drummers opinions on gear, as it offers a truly unbiased alternate view.

I am glad to hear, from a Pearl expert like Carl, that the ISS bent rim myth is essentially just that - a myth. I intend on using ISS on my next kit because although I do like the overall design of the Optimounts, they cover too much of the shell.

My next kit will be a custom-built kit with L-rod style tom brackets retrofitted to the ISS brackets. Best of both worlds and it'll look OEM.

Reizar
09-06-2004, 12:12 AM
I like the free range of bounce the ISS gives, but I hit my drums so hard I worry that I'll pull the larger ones off the mount. So I, personally, am going to upgrade to OMSS (OptiMounts) as soon as possible. But do what you like. There's no real difference, except for the look.

technik
09-06-2004, 02:31 AM
If you have the session custom and you wanna upgrade its doable, if its export, the 14" tom would not work since opti required to have 8 lugs

Reizar
09-06-2004, 02:33 AM
The 14" EX floor toms have 8 lugs. You can always pull the legs off.

Lucky7Band
09-06-2004, 03:22 AM
I have both, opti and ISS. I HAD to get opti mount becasue i added all dies cast hoops on my kit, and honestly, withthe hoops and the mounts, the drums doubled in weight.
I personnaly do not recommend it, if anything, get super hoops and your rim warping problem will be solved.
I am now looking to buy super hoops to put my ISS back on... i prefer it and again has less contact with the shell then opti mounts. Just my .02

Less contact, where did you get that idea from.

Gherkin
09-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Neither of them touch the shell, unless there's something wrong with my head...

rooney
09-06-2004, 07:26 AM
I don't like ISS because they affect the tuning. I have them on my kit and whenever I tune a tom off the mount I have to make adjustments after I put it back on the arm.
I'm not crazy about the look of optimounts so I guess my vote would go to RIMS.

Xplora
09-06-2004, 07:49 AM
The amount of contact you are going to have from each suspension system is always going to be so minimal that its not going to matter which one is best.

I would use Optimounts given the choice because they are the most stable and adjustable mount of all the options out there. Lots of security attached to 4 lugs, and heaps of adjustment possibilities when connected to the Gyrolock arms. ISS doesn't allow you to adjust for height.For that reason I think its inferior.

rooney
09-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Do Optimounts adjust for height or is that adjustment just to accomodate a taller shell.
It looks, to me, that the actual mount stays in the same position at the top, while the bottom section slides down.

MNFade
09-06-2004, 08:48 AM
I believe you are correct sir.
You want the rubber gaskets as tight as you can get them on top of the lug casings, then tighten into place.

Ictus75
09-06-2004, 10:25 AM
ISS doesn't allow you to adjust for height.For that reason I think its inferior.

The nice thing about ISS mounts is that they will fit any depth drum. The one possible bad point can be stress on the rim that can affect tuning of a large, heavy drum like a 16x16. Otherwise both mounts can work well. I use ISS, Optimounts, and RIMS on different kits and find they all work well.

Stoovey
09-06-2004, 04:03 PM
I will be fitting my ISS mounts with L-rod style tom brackets, thus giving me full height adjustability.

chilipeppermaniac
09-06-2004, 06:40 PM
One other consideration regarding Optimounts vs ISS is what series of drum you are planning to use ISS or Optimounts on.

Sessions and Masters will work fine with Opti's,

From another post in a different thread, I heard that Opti's did not work on that fella's EXports due to fewer lugs on exports.

Do the Homework on what fits.

ISS for Exports, Opti for Sessions and Masters, although if these lines have Superhoops an ISS will fit on those rims.

Reizar
09-06-2004, 07:35 PM
Here's the problem with Exports and OMSS mounts: Most mounted Export drums have only six lugs, and their floor toms have eight. So if you have an OptiMount fitted for an 8-lug mounted tom, or if that's all they're made for is the 8-lug drums, you're S.O.L. if all you have is a 6-lug.

Of course, knowing Pearl, they should have the sense to make OptiMounts for 6-lug rack toms as well. Why don't we ask them?

rooney
09-06-2004, 08:14 PM
I think all Pearl mounted toms (up to 13") are six hole, aren't they ? I'm pretty sure Sessions are. The Optimounts that are meant for 8 lug drums will only fit the larger drums, they have different sizes for the smaller toms.

Reizar
09-06-2004, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I think you're right.

And if they don't have OptiMounts for the 6-lug drums, ISS mounts work in a pinch.

MorinY
09-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Gauger rims is very nice too!

RIAN
09-08-2004, 01:14 AM
opti mount.

gotdrums?
09-08-2004, 05:08 AM
Would I.S.S work for a 14X12 rack tom, meaing, would it detune it quickly or what?

rooney
09-08-2004, 08:45 AM
[QUOTE=gotdrums?]Would I.S.S work for a 14X12 rack tom, meaing, would it detune it quickly or what?

I wouldn't use an ISS mount for a drum that size, it would definately affect the tuning. I don't really like ISS on any toms, but especially on large drums. Optimounts or RIMS all the way !

bobthesalesclerk
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I like ISS mounts better. The largest drum i ever used one on was a 16x16. I have ISS mounts on all my drums

10x10
12x10
14x12
16x14

They work fine. They de tune the drums in no way shape or form. My drums sound excellent.

rooney
09-08-2004, 03:21 PM
I have ISS on my 12' and 13" toms and whenever I tune them while they're off the arm, I have to adjust the lugs near the ISS mount when I put the drum back on the arm. Anyway I just don't think it can be good for the hoop to have so much stress on one point. Therfore, I would go for Optimounts or RIMS on larger drums, on toms 10" and under ISS mounts are probably fine.

joey666
09-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Optimounts look much stronger,I mean there would be soo much stress on an ISS mount on a 16"x14" rack tom, but with an optimount there would be no problem

Reizar
09-08-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm still gonna get OptiMounts for all mine and probably put my ISS mounts up for auction.

vanillaCOKE2k2
09-09-2004, 04:17 PM
definately optimount dude.

abugazi
09-10-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, I'd say Opti as well. My Prestige Session Select came with I.S.S. and they worked great, but I just felt my suspend floor tom (16in) bounced too much. The Opti took care of it. :D

kimboy
09-11-2004, 07:00 AM
optimouts hold your drum in four points.
iss holds the drum in batter rims only. :)

Rupe-Van-Scythe
09-12-2004, 06:25 AM
ive got I.S.Smounts onmy sessions and they seem fine although i do hate the bouncing that they are inclined to do! ive got square sizes;
10x10
12x12
14x14
16x16

Ilove the deo soundi get from my 16 and 14 but they are on iss and i does worry me slightly so ifigured if im gonna upgrading mounts i mite aswell do ti for all the toms. anyone know how much optimounts cost?

Rupe-Van-Scythe
09-12-2004, 06:27 AM
i do love the sound* i cant spell....well it is a sunday what do u expect!

MusicMan
10-21-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi -

Presumeably, the Optimounts are "better" because they make less direct contact with resonating parts of the drum (and they are included on the top of the line drums).

However, the ISS has the advantage of being easier to use because they don't interfere with lug tension and can be moved around the shell without having to remove all of the lug bolts!

It would be really nice if Pearl Reasearch & Development would come up with an Optimount that could simply be removed from the lug bolts without having to dismantle the entire drum!

Phobiac
10-24-2004, 12:41 AM
I'm planning on adding a 16x14 mounted floor to my setup, and it just seems too big and heavy for ISS to NOT warp the hoops...and I have black hoops, otherwise i wouldn't care, just replace hoops every so often.

And I just bought an Optimount for my 14x11...problem: My kit is and Exprt Select, the 14" had 6 lugs. The Optimount is designed for 14's with 8 lugs. I managed to get the thing on, but 2 out of the 4 lugs supporting it are on a bit of an angle which i suspect = bad medicine.

I would like Optimounts for my hanging floor toms....anyone have a solution to the above problem?

Thanks

Phobiac
10-24-2004, 12:51 AM
wow i didn't realize there were 5 pages to this thread before I posted that lst message...

yeah so looks like I'm SOL....

does anyone know if a 16x14 ELX tom would have 6 or 8 lugs?

Reizar
10-24-2004, 09:41 AM
If it's a floor tom it has 8. If it's a mounted/rack tom it has 6.

Also, are the cushions on your OptiMounts extended as far as they'll go? If so, you might want to just use an ISS for those. You can clamp two onto one hoop for more stability, but you'll also need two tom arms and a very precise way of mounting it...such as a rack.

Phobiac
10-24-2004, 02:01 PM
hmmm, yeah the cushions were extended all the way...

its looking like RIMS might be the only solution...but my hoops are black...gonna be hard to find black ones i think....and Chrome RIMS with black hoops might look silly.

unless of course the ISS system warping hoops is just a myth like someone else on the thread said...can anyone confirm this...and I'm sure its tru when it comes to smaller toms, but I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't warp the hoops on something as big as a 16x14.