PDA

View Full Version : Wood fiberglass questions

Andy H
05-30-2021, 07:32 AM
I'm looking at a brand new 3-piece kit in platinum mist. 14x20, 8x12, 14x14 for just under $800. I would use it primarily as a gigging kit. I would not mic the kit. Gigs would be small to medium indoor venues.

Would a 14x20 be loud enough? My current 16x20 does nice. My 18x22 is a little louder.
What are the sound characteristics of Kapur wood?
What advantage does fiberglass offer?

Other kits I was looking at (all with 20" bass drums) include Yamaha stage custom, Yamaha tour custom, Pearl MCT, and DW Performance.

Thanks in advance.

Josh Conover
05-31-2021, 12:40 AM
From what I understood, if you’re looking for more volume, the fiberglass adds strength and helps projection. Never seen one in person, but I was seriously considering that Satin Cocoa Burst in those sizes from the line when it was first introduced in 2014ish. I ended up going with the Session Studio Classic and didn’t really dig them. I wonder if I had gone with the wood fiberglass if I’d have been happier...?

I think Big King had a set of the wood fiberglass and said they were plenty loud!

Andy H
05-31-2021, 07:18 AM
From what I understood, if you’re looking for more volume, the fiberglass adds strength and helps projection. Never seen one in person, but I was seriously considering that Satin Cocoa Burst in those sizes from the line when it was first introduced in 2014ish. I ended up going with the Session Studio Classic and didn’t really dig them. I wonder if I had gone with the wood fiberglass if I’d have been happier...?

I think Big King had a set of the wood fiberglass and said they were plenty loud!

Thanks for the feedback.

melvinspeed
05-31-2021, 05:29 PM
I don't have a full kit, Andy. But I do have one of the Pearl Hybrid Exotic snares in the Kapur/Fiberglass shell formula. Projection is one thing it doesn't lack. Still nice warm lower tones similar to Mahogany, but with authority.

https://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/gobentleys1/IMG_1644_0001.JPG=600=140

Andy H
05-31-2021, 08:01 PM
I don't have a full kit, Andy. But I do have one of the Pearl Hybrid Exotic snares in the Kapur/Fiberglass shell formula. Projection is one thing it doesn't lack. Still nice warm lower tones similar to Mahogany, but with authority.

https://thmb.inkfrog.com/thumbn/gobentleys1/IMG_1644_0001.JPG=600=140

Thanks for the input. That snare is drop dead gorgeous!

Andy H
10-21-2021, 08:20 PM
I'm still thinking about the hybrid fiberglass kit. 14x20, 8x12, 14x14. Platinum mist. Maybe Christmas?