PDA

View Full Version : I got a floor tom in the mail.

WhatIsIt
06-14-2019, 11:42 PM
Remember all that stuff a while ago? With the Decade tom with a bit of a seam gap ... so anyway:

This is... I'm gonna have to think a little bit before I say more. But this is what was in the box they now sent me.

HMM.

MitchLyons
06-15-2019, 01:21 AM
It's a budget drum kit. There are going to be flaws due to lessened QC, lowering the price of the kit. Not a single person will be able to hear the gap in the seam, and nobody is actually going to care, either. Just play the damn things.

WhatIsIt
06-15-2019, 02:04 AM
It's a budget drum kit. There are going to be flaws due to lessened QC, lowering the price of the kit. Not a single person will be able to hear the gap in the seam, and nobody is actually going to care, either. Just play the damn things.

WhatIsIt
06-15-2019, 03:08 AM
MitchLyons: I'm assuming you do NOT know the backstory I hinted at there. I'm also going to be a bit blunt here...

Dude. It has taken those guys over 6 months to make this simple exchange happen. And I actually still don't know whether or not this is actually the exact drum that Pearl had reserved for me or did the dealer again mess things up somehow and just send me something different. I was personally promised a replacement by PME over the phone. Everyone at Pearl also agreed that such defects are unacceptable (there's a margin, and these go over it), even if you think otherwise.

You could even say that the issue has never been the little surface flaw. I for myself have never argued that anyone could hear a difference in the sound or that it would affect the "functionality" of the drum. The real and much more serious concern here is the unbelievably bad customer service. Obviously, I have not been able to USE the (previous) tom in the meantime.

Do you know what I am saying?

JY Kelly
06-15-2019, 06:08 AM
I think they sent you back the same drum.

Pearlnpaisteguy
06-15-2019, 07:44 AM

I agree. Honestly, thatís inexcusable even for a budget kit. Whatís even worse is the way theyíve treated you. It looks like your not going to get this issue resolved to your satisfaction, since itís seems they donít care.

MitchLyons
06-15-2019, 08:08 AM
MitchLyons: I'm assuming you do NOT know the backstory I hinted at there. I'm also going to be a bit blunt here... Dude. It has taken those guys over 6 months to make this simple exchange happen. And I actually still don't know whether or not this is actually the exact drum that Pearl had reserved for me or did the dealer again mess things up somehow and just send me something different. I was personally promised a replacement by PME over the phone. Everyone at Pearl also agreed that such defects are unacceptable (there's a margin, and these go over it), even if you think otherwise. You could even say that the issue has never been the little surface flaw. I for myself have never argued that anyone could hear a difference in the sound or that it would affect the "functionality" of the drum. The real and much more serious concern here is the unbelievably bad customer service. Obviously, I have not been able to USE the (previous) tom in the meantime. Do you know what I am saying?

You're right, I don't know the backstory but I have seen your consistently vague posts regarding this drum and think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. If it means that much to you, sell the kit or try to return to where you bought it from but it's probably not possible to return at this point. Idk man, I don't think it's that big of a deal and it sucks that customer service is bad but I don't know what you want me or anyone else on this forum to tell you other than "that sucks". Who cares if there's a cosmetic flaw, just play the drum, dude!

quicksticks
06-15-2019, 03:30 PM
It would have been nice if someone at Pearl would have checked the drum before shipping it. Obviously that amount of gap is within Pearl’s specs for that series. I’m not saying it’s right. At this point I would just move on and enjoy the drum. You tried. If I had to bet on it, a third tom will probably have the same seam.

Drumming-4-Life
06-15-2019, 05:57 PM
Remember all that stuff a while ago? With the Decade tom with a bit of a seam gap ... so anyway:

This is... I'm gonna have to think a little bit before I say more. But this is what was in the box they now sent me.

HMM.

Pearl has shipped this product out to customers more than once now (whether it's the exact original drum, or not), so they think it's fine. This is clearly the case of the end user expecting too much for the little money laid out.

Consider any car company, doesn't matter which kind you like or dislike. I will choose Ford, although they will only be manufacturing trucks and SUVs soon. If you have a brand new Ford Fiesta and a brand new Ford Taurus, and they sit next to each other in a moderate hail storm, would you expect both vehicles to endure the hail in the same way? Not likely, as the Ford Fiesta will likely take on more damage than the Taurus. Why? Because the Fiesta is a cheaply made vehicle, with body panels made with a lighter-gauge steel than a Taurus. Did Ford know they made the Fiesta cheaper? Of course. Did Pearl know they put a lot less time and materials into the Decade series. Of course.

It doesn't matter how many people think this floor tom is finished incorrectly; Pearl thinks it's fine for what the end-user paid for it.

If you're not happy with the quality of the Decades, sell them and get a higher quality set of drums. There are so many nice drums out there; you should check them out!

I'm not against you, or pro-Pearl... I simply think your expectations are too high. It doesn't matter that some of your other drums have nice seams... it must have been luck, because Pearl was willing to settle for less.

TWH
06-15-2019, 06:43 PM
I had a set of 03í ELX exports and all of the floor toms had the same seam. It never bothered me because the seams faced the back. Those were excellent drums for the money and sounded great. I wouldnít worry too much unless they were a masters or above.

WhatIsIt
06-16-2019, 04:14 AM

That was my very first thought. Beginning from when I saw there are handling marks and scratches on the heads and hoops, and quite curiously the seam appears to be exactly in the same place on the surface the way it lines up with the lugs etc. I still am not sure.

I am NOT going to start debating the quality control/budget drum/whatever sort of thing again with anyone on here. One thing (again) to those who for some reason don't get it, PEARL said the flaw is a bit too much and PEARL promised me a replacement. PEARL told me on the phone that the replacement also has a gap in the seam but it's not quite as bad.

I could go on about how there's this invention called wood filler, another called sandpaper, and that spraying even coats of lacquer is not really that difficult. You can't fit any of that into an analogy about different gauges of steel. But I won't go on about that.

I will say AGAIN that I'm not excepting the drum to be more than it is, however I AM expecting the customer service to be even halfway decent.

The point here is VERY simple. After many months of promises, delays and tons of trouble (to ME), I get back the same drum or a replacement that's damn near identical. You think that's "fine"?

dale w miller
06-16-2019, 05:08 AM
Pearl has shipped this product out to customers more than once now (whether it's the exact original drum, or not), so they think it's fine. This is clearly the case of the end user expecting too much for the little money laid out.

Consider any car company, doesn't matter which kind you like or dislike. I will choose Ford, although they will only be manufacturing trucks and SUVs soon. If you have a brand new Ford Fiesta and a brand new Ford Taurus, and they sit next to each other in a moderate hail storm, would you expect both vehicles to endure the hail in the same way? Not likely, as the Ford Fiesta will likely take on more damage than the Taurus. Why? Because the Fiesta is a cheaply made vehicle, with body panels made with a lighter-gauge steel than a Taurus. Did Ford know they made the Fiesta cheaper? Of course. Did Pearl know they put a lot less time and materials into the Decade series. Of course.

It doesn't matter how many people think this floor tom is finished incorrectly; Pearl thinks it's fine for what the end-user paid for it.

If you're not happy with the quality of the Decades, sell them and get a higher quality set of drums. There are so many nice drums out there; you should check them out!

I'm not against you, or pro-Pearl... I simply think your expectations are too high. It doesn't matter that some of your other drums have nice seams... it must have been luck, because Pearl was willing to settle for less.

The classic “you get what you paid for”.

therocker
06-16-2019, 12:10 PM
The decade maples are lower grade than the Exports so... It's a shame of what's up with your tom. To me you have to options

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

You have to ask if it's worth the stress it's causing you. Even if you stress the guy/gal at your music store briefly, as soon as you leave so does their stress. But you have to pack it around and that's not good for you. You can simply enjoy the kit for what it is and just never buy Pearl again. Or buy again and hope for better results. I feel for you and hope all comes out good, no matter what you choose. Cheers

quicksticks
06-16-2019, 12:24 PM
The decade maples are lower grade than the Exports so... It's a shame of what's up with your tom. To me you have to options

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

You have to ask if it's worth the stress it's causing you. Even if you stress the guy/gal at your music store briefly, as soon as you leave so does their stress. But you have to pack it around and that's not good for you. You can simply enjoy the kit for what it is and just never buy Pearl again. Or buy again and hope for better results. I feel for you and hope all comes out good, no matter what you choose. Cheers

Nothing is perfect. I agree that stressing over a drum that cost a couple of hundred dollars is just silly. There are some advantages to buying an in stock kit from a local dealer.

sticks4drums
06-16-2019, 12:35 PM

1. Keep battling

2. Admit defeat

Well said.

WhatIsIt
06-16-2019, 02:49 PM
sticks4drums, quicksticks, therocker... yes. I appreciate your sentiment (others' too!). Back in October or whatever it was, I'd already (at least mostly) decided how I'm going to handle this. I posted a remark to that effect already back then, but didn't open it up. What I'd decided was that... if I get a replacement where the seam is even worse, then so be it [[**]]. This is nothing resembling "OUTRAGE! I demand that I get a perfectly finished drum and don't care others don't". No. Things did unfold in unexpected ways though.

So yeah... "admitted defeat" in advance, sort of. I haven't really expected to get a better drum (better finish) for a long time.

MitchLyons: What exactly is "vague" about anything what comes to this? There are at least 5 people on this thread who know in much detail exactly what has been going on. If you do NOT know the backstory, why do you come on here with your seemingly passive-aggressive tone and tell me to "just play the drum"? To me, it's obvious that this just simply is not about a "cosmetic flaw on some drum". I'm sorry if you don't understand or if I've somehow offended you regarding something else.

Like I already said: why waste any time and effort at all if the end result is that the drum is effectively NOT replaced (is the same drum or one with an identical flaw)? Hmh? I do see the funny side to this. I also see the bad side or sad side.

quicksticks: A guy from Pearl (something like Al's counterpart as far as I can tell) told me on the phone he had seen the replacement that was reserved for me. He said it also has a gap, but not as big. That's why it was even more of a surprise to receive something that looks identical to what I had.

Should've gone Yamaha (damn near did) --- better quality AND cheaper! Heavier gauge steel even! ;)

[[**]] ...did not expect the first attempt to boomerang though...

Pearlnpaisteguy
06-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Pearl Decades are poorly made. Pearl dropped the ball discontinuing the Vision line for these. Like you mentioned in your post, a rep from Pearl saw the replacement and said it had a gap, but not as bad. Look closely online, the floors on the lacquer kits have big gaps on the seams. So, as mentioned, resign your self and live with it or sell the kit, save up a buy a better made sessions or masters maple kit. Iím surprised at a few here that think that thatís acceptable, even for a cheap kit, considering todayís manufacturing capabilities.

Eric
06-16-2019, 05:49 PM
Sorry about your Decade kit. What ever happens from
now on the important thing is get back on the throne.
You keep this kit great or you get another set from
a different manufacturer that’s great too.

WhatIsIt
06-16-2019, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys. One particular thing I feel I should mention is that this "cheap Decade set" is not all I have. I also have other drums and gear. Lots of. No need to worry about THAT.

I don't play cheap stuff because I'm some sort of poor starving sod, and what's actually worrying is that some even would determine my worth based on how many US Dollars I'm willing to dish out for a drum. I can play drums and I can do other things, there's no dissonance. More is more.

therocker
06-18-2019, 10:24 AM
Thanks guys. One particular thing I feel I should mention is that this "cheap Decade set" is not all I have. I also have other drums and gear. Lots of. No need to worry about THAT. I don't play cheap stuff because I'm some sort of poor starving sod, and what's actually worrying is that some even would determine my worth based on how many US Dollars I'm willing to dish out for a drum. I can play drums and I can do other things, there's no dissonance. More is more.

I don't think that's the case. I'll admit I'm not going to reread the whole thread looking for an indication of someone calling you cheap or poor.

I myself said that the Decade Maple is a line below the Export series kits.

To me the Decade Maple is a way for a guy to have a Maple kit with a lacquer finish for not much money. I don't see anything wrong with that.

As far as the Exports go? I've played them for years. Gigged them, abused them within normality. They've held up and sounded great. The DM series I'm not sure if they'ed handle the gigging with out cases type of thing and still be functional as long as an Export kit might.

Regardless, again, it's a shame your FT adventures are sour. Here is the important question. How do the Decade Maple drums sound to you? If you like the sound and like the look, gig them ****ers. Beat them like a rented mule!

I could've bought any kit I wanted ( with in reason ) new but opted for a used MCX kit. I liked the finish and configuration and got a nice price used. There's a scuff here and there but I don't care.

But I saw no sense in spending a ton of money when I don't gig regular, I'm not endorsed by anyone and I don't see my big break over the horizon. I mostly play drums just because I enjoy playing drums. Every single cymbal I own is used. The only thing I own new is a throne a snare and a few cases. Oh, and pedals. And hi hat stand. And a few clamps. And mini booms. And sticks. But other than those things I go cheap.

The art of the deal. Like that book by the Circus Peanut! ;)

BadAstronaut
06-20-2019, 09:52 AM
Admit defeat, live in decline and be the victim of your own designfixed

ADman2B
08-22-2019, 03:45 PM
fixed

That song is 20 years old, and I am more depressed now than I was 18 minutes ago.

BadAstronaut
08-22-2019, 05:33 PM
That song is 20 years old, and I am more depressed now than I was 18 minutes ago.with that said .. meet the Decline :)

Feenix
08-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Should've gone Yamaha
It's not too late.