PDA

View Full Version : Pearl's New Baby Roadshow kit

RushDrums24
06-28-2018, 11:24 AM
Seen on Pearls social media from Summer NAMM.

Derek Wolfford
06-29-2018, 08:51 AM
The package includes a 16”x10” bass drum, a 13”x8” floor tom, 10”x5.5 and 8”x5” toms, a 12”x4” snare drum, bass drum pedal, snare, cymbal, and hi-hat stands, and a 13” crash and 10” hi-hat metal cymbal set.

Big King
06-29-2018, 10:51 AM
Ohhhh.... My sister will hate me if I get one for my nephews.

Jerry Skiddz
07-08-2018, 01:58 AM
Seems like it would be fun to jam on a bit, even as an adult.

dale w miller
07-08-2018, 04:40 AM
Smart business move on Pearl’s part. With all the parents out there who think their kid is going to be the next ___________, they can cash in on it. It’s incredibly cheap as well. I can definitely see a family member buying one for a grandchild or nephew/niece.

RushDrums24
07-08-2018, 12:13 PM
Good for travel too, if you nested the drums inside each other, I dare say it would fit into a large suitcase with room to spare for a stand or two and a couple of small cymbals. Good portability for drummers who need to fly to gigs, or a backstage warm up kit.

Very clever move by Pearl, i'm surprised they aren't marketing some of these things.

dale w miller
07-08-2018, 02:29 PM
This kid should be their endorsing artist.

https://www.facebook.com/Dose/videos/1833123866782143/

therocker
10-10-2018, 12:25 PM
I think the Roadshow Jr. is pretty cool. There are a ton of kits marketed to kids that are absolute rubbish. This would also be a nice way for person giving drum lessons to comfortable take on very young clients!

Cheers to Pearl.

The Whale
10-16-2018, 12:33 PM
Fantastic!

AL PERCIVAL
10-16-2018, 12:39 PM
I think the Roadshow Jr. is pretty cool. There are a ton of kits marketed to kids that are absolute rubbish. This would also be a nice way for person giving drum lessons to comfortable take on very young clients!

Cheers to Pearl.

The Roadshow Jr are actually really nice and sound good and are good build quality.

therocker
10-16-2018, 01:14 PM
The Roadshow Jr are actually really nice and sound good and are good build quality.

I only believe this to be true. Rereading my comment does sound a bit like I'm putting the RSJ in the rubbish boat, but not at all.

I would expect nothing less than quality with the Pearl logo attached.

It would be cool for a RoadShow kit owner to be able to incorporate the Jr.s and have some very unique tom sizes!

MusicMan
10-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Great idea!

palmeris
05-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Hi,
So I purchased a JR set for my grandson who has taken up an interest in my full size kit, but at 7 years old its just way to big for him - He helped me set them up, tune them up and then we started the lessons of rock drumming 101....

The only issue so far is with the rack mount toms - they have a 5/8 diameter tube and mounts and are set up just like the regular mounts to accept the stop locks/ memory, however there were no stop locks / memory locks included for this 5/8 size so they just spin on the mount tube arms, no matter how tight you make the set screw after a few hits they just spin out of position...

I contacted Pearl tech support, who got right back to me the same day, and they admitted it was an engineering over sight when they went to the small 5/8 tube arms... that was over 2 months ago so i am hoping to report back soon that they have engineered a new stop lock and will be shipping a pair to me....hopefully they will also send to anyone else who has purchased this JR set as well....

I just sent a reminder email to Pearl so I hope to report back some good news on this issue soon

MusicMan
05-28-2019, 08:09 AM
Hi,
So I purchased a JR set for my grandson who has taken up an interest in my full size kit, but at 7 years old its just way to big for him - He helped me set them up, tune them up and then we started the lessons of rock drumming 101....

The only issue so far is with the rack mount toms - they have a 5/8 diameter tube and mounts and are set up just like the regular mounts to accept the stop locks/ memory, however there were no stop locks / memory locks included for this 5/8 size so they just spin on the mount tube arms, no matter how tight you make the set screw after a few hits they just spin out of position...

I contacted Pearl tech support, who got right back to me the same day, and they admitted it was an engineering over sight when they went to the small 5/8 tube arms... that was over 2 months ago so i am hoping to report back soon that they have engineered a new stop lock and will be shipping a pair to me....hopefully they will also send to anyone else who has purchased this JR set as well....

I just sent a reminder email to Pearl so I hope to report back some good news on this issue soon

Pearl does have some 5/8" stop locks. Perhaps you could try one to see if it works.

palmeris
06-18-2019, 05:45 AM
Pearl does have some 5/8" stop locks. Perhaps you could try one to see if it works.

I looked in their parts hardware catalog and didnt see any 5/8 stop locks... also would of thought spencer with Pearl tech support would of suggest that.. please share with me where you fond the pearl 5/8 stop locks. Thanks

AL PERCIVAL
06-18-2019, 05:59 AM
I looked in their parts hardware catalog and didnt see any 5/8 stop locks... also would of thought spencer with Pearl tech support would of suggest that.. please share with me where you fond the pearl 5/8 stop locks. Thanks

Stop lock model ZD106A should work on a 5/8" pipe. They currently show on backorder tentative ETA shows a 7.15.19 delivery date. You can order through your favorite authorized Pearl dealer.

MusicMan
06-18-2019, 06:05 AM

I believe the ones I'm referring to are used on the arms of boom stands (and not on the base of the stand). I wish I knew the part number. Maybe you could call Pearl and see if they know which one it is.

Another option would be using the Gibraltar SC-LDML memory lock for floor tom legs. It only goes up to 1/2", but if you replace the two tension rods (key bolts) used to tighten it with ones that are a little longer, it would work with the 5/8" tube. You can find those at drumfactorydirect.com

MM :)

palmeris
06-18-2019, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the reply...i see that model on page 43 of the hardware catalog but dont think it will work with the tom holder mount ... would also of thought Pearl would of suggested that when i brought it to their attention back in March....of course if they are not available now maybe they were not available back then either...For the little they would cost i would purchase when they become available to see if it solves the problem.

I also sent another email to pearl this morning, its a bit concerning that they didnt answer the last one a month ago, asking if they have a resolution to the issue.

palmeris
06-18-2019, 06:15 AM
I believe the ones I'm referring to are used on the arms of boom stands (and not on the base of the stand). I wish I knew the part number. Maybe you could call Pearl and see if they know which one it is.

Another option would be using the Gibraltar SC-LDML memory lock for floor tom legs. It only goes up to 1/2", but if you replace the two tension rods (key bolts) used to tighten it with ones that are a little longer, it would work with the 5/8" tube. You can find those at drumfactorydirect.com

MM :)

yes I had a phone conversation with Spencer at Pearl back in March, he had set up a road show JR set and duplicated the issue, said that they overlooked designing a tom stop lock for that size tube and he was taking the issue back to engineering....I have emailed him asking for an update but so far no response...

MusicMan
06-18-2019, 06:16 AM
yes I had a phone conversation with Spencer at Pearl back in March, he had set up a road show JR set and duplicated the issue, said that they overlooked designing a tom stop lock for that size tube and he was taking the issue back to engineering....I have emailed him asking for an update but so far no response...

I checked my stock and I have (2) of the stop locks like the one Al Percival recommended. Send me a PM is you want them. :)

palmeris
06-18-2019, 06:23 AM
you have a pm, thanks so much, actually you have 2 because I forgot my email address in the first

palmeris
06-18-2019, 06:34 AM
tried to send you a PM music man but nothing shows in my sent folder...sent a PM to myself and that one shows up in both the sent and inbox...not sure why yours are not showing...

MusicMan
06-18-2019, 07:06 AM
tried to send you a PM music man but nothing shows in my sent folder...sent a PM to myself and that one shows up in both the sent and inbox...not sure why yours are not showing...

I replied to your message and sent you an email. :)

Drumolator
06-26-2019, 10:32 AM
If thy enemy offends thee, buy his child a drum.

palmeris
07-21-2019, 09:34 AM

So just sent another email to Pearl as this has still not been addressed... last response from Spencer indicated he had no update but would check on it...that was a month ago and still nothing....

My grandson is asking every week when his drums will be fixed, I have shown him these comments and emails to Pearl... he is getting a real world life lesson in dealing with large corporations , customer service, and is forming his own bias based on the results.:mad:

RushDrums24
07-21-2019, 04:07 PM
So just sent another email to Pearl as this has still not been addressed... last response from Spencer indicated he had no update but would check on it...that was a month ago and still nothing....

My grandson is asking every week when his drums will be fixed, I have shown him these comments and emails to Pearl... he is getting a real world life lesson in dealing with large corporations , customer service, and is forming his own bias based on the results.:mad:

Maybe give these a try? https://drumsonsale.com/gibraltar-gp-4219-5-8-memory-lock.html

RG1820X
07-23-2019, 08:49 AM

I would also recommend purchasing a memory lock from a different company. Since Pearl doesn't make one, it will resolve the issue faster and allow your grandson to keep playing.

palmeris
07-24-2019, 04:55 AM
I would also recommend purchasing a memory lock from a different company. Since Pearl doesn't make one, it will resolve the issue faster and allow your grandson to keep playing.

I appreciate the suggestions, but why should I go spend 10% of the original price of the kit to purchase something that may not solve the issue? If that is a Pearl solution, for me to purchase a competitors product to solve their issue, then they need to say that's their recommended fix so not only I, but everyone else that has, or may be looking to purchase this kit knows it and can make an informed decision that they need to shell out more money to obtain a working kit. Perhaps pearl will send me their competitors equipment if that's the fix.

They did respond to my latest email, escalating to a product marketing manager who indicated they had cast a part at the factory but it was too small allowing play in the memory lock slot. Don't know if that was recent or this was at the time of original manufacturing and they decided to release the product to market with this known issue. Either way this is a Pearl issue that they need to correct it. I , and my grandson hope they do so soon.

quicksticks
07-24-2019, 01:15 PM
I appreciate the suggestions, but why should I go spend 10% of the original price of the kit to purchase something that may not solve the issue?

So that the toms won’t spin around. I agree that Pearl dropped the ball in R&D, but a fix might be readily available for under $20 and your grandson will be happy. It’s not like we’re talking 10% of a $5,000 kit. If there is a store near you that has 5/8” memory locks, simply take the drum with you to ensure that they work. If there isn’t a store that has the clamps, just measure the receiving slot on your bass drum mount. The nubs on Pearl and Gibraltar memory locks are 3/8”.

palmeris
07-25-2019, 07:26 AM
So that the toms won’t spin around. I agree that Pearl dropped the ball in R&D, but a fix might be readily available for under $20 and your grandson will be happy. It’s not like we’re talking 10% of a $5,000 kit. If there is a store near you that has 5/8” memory locks, simply take the drum with you to ensure that they work. If there isn’t a store that has the clamps, just measure the receiving slot on your bass drum mount. The nubs on Pearl and Gibraltar memory locks are 3/8”.

Right after i got the kit set up, and before I even contacted Pearl Tech support I went back to guitar center and talked with the drum manager, brought in the toms and tubes to show him the issue, they had nothing that would fit on the 5/8 tube....its not the bass drum interface that is the issue , that's a standard 7/8 tube and came with stop locks. Its the tubes that go into the toms, they are smaller at 5/8 ...yes the nub slot on the tom is 3/8 but the tube diameter is 5/8.

Now if you want to find them and buy them , then send them to me I will report back if it solved the issue to Pearl and you....its easy to type on a keyboard its only 10% or its only 20 bucks when its someone else time and money your spending

The ones Music man was willing to sell me were $25.00 plus shipping .

RushDrums24
07-25-2019, 08:19 AM
Right after i got the kit set up, and before I even contacted Pearl Tech support I went back to guitar center and talked with the drum manager, brought in the toms and tubes to show him the issue, they had nothing that would fit on the 5/8 tube....its not the bass drum interface that is the issue , that's a standard 7/8 tube and came with stop locks. Its the tubes that go into the toms, they are smaller at 5/8 ...yes the nub slot on the tom is 3/8 but the tube diameter is 5/8.

Now if you want to find them and buy them , then send them to me I will report back if it solved the issue to Pearl and you....its easy to type on a keyboard its only 10% or its only 20 bucks when its someone else time and money your spending

The ones Music man was willing to sell me were $25.00 plus shipping .

See my link below, they should work fine.

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/pearl-stop-lock-5-8/cymbal-stand-parts

quicksticks
07-25-2019, 09:06 AM

What a stupid thing to say. I’m sorry a $20 expense is problematic for you. One would think that $20 is a small price to pay to put a smile on your grandson’s face.

RushDrums24
07-25-2019, 12:09 PM
What a stupid thing to say. I’m sorry a $20 expense is problematic for you. One would think that $20 is a small price to pay to put a smile on your grandson’s face.

X2 Why moan when something can be done about it.

quicksticks
07-25-2019, 06:30 PM

I did some looking online, as you obviously did as well and it seems that 5/8” memory locks are not readily available. I found that strange as there’s a lot of stands that incorporate 5/8” tubing. It seems that Steve Weiss is the only one who has the memory locks available and they happen to be the hinged type. I’m sure that Pearl’s memory lock for that kit will not be the hinged type.
Like you said, “why moan.” Spend $20 to make the little guy happy and when Pearl finally sends the parts, you can always sell the ones from Steve Weiss. If Pearl hasn’t yet manufactured this part, it could take a year to get it.

palmeris
09-09-2019, 08:13 AM

its easy for you to spend other peoples money...why should i go spend my money on something that may not work...

palmeris
09-09-2019, 08:14 AM

x2... how do you know it will fix it...if it would of dont you think pearl would of suggested it? again real easy to sit there in front of your keyboard and spends someones elses time and money

palmeris
09-09-2019, 08:17 AM
.....I did some looking online, as you obviously did as well and it seems that 5/8” memory locks are not readily available. I found that strange as there’s a lot of stands that incorporate 5/8” tubing. It seems that Steve Weiss is the only one who has the memory locks available and they happen to be the hinged type. I’m sure that Pearl’s memory lock for that kit will not be the hinged type.
Like you said, “why moan.” Spend $20 to make the little guy happy and when Pearl finally sends the parts, you can always sell the ones from Steve Weiss. If Pearl hasn’t yet manufactured this part, it could take a year to get it.

yes i have done extensive research and nothing I found looked like it would solve the issue...i would buy them if it was a guaranteed fix as im not in the resale business and dont want to be

palmeris
09-09-2019, 08:29 AM
so i recived a phone call from Spencer with Pearl that they were sending me 2 of the trial run units they had produced that have too much slop in them.... about a week later they were recived and installed on the kit... they allow the drums to turn about 20 degrees so i see what they mean about slop, but by positioning them higher and letting gravity takes its course they are at least keeping them stationary now. Pearl is doing the right thing by addressing the oversight, hopefully they will get it tolerance corrected soon and incorporated into the kits as well as sent out to those that have already purchased.

palmeris
09-09-2019, 08:42 AM
See my link below, they should work fine.

https://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/pearl-stop-lock-5-8/cymbal-stand-parts

they are a memory lock and not a stop lock... i dont see any 3/8 tab that would go in the slot to keep the tom from spining on the 5/8 tube which is what the issue is...