PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a Reference Pure kit

notoriousRJD
12-02-2017, 06:40 AM
...but am a little alarmed at how little activity there is on the Reference Pure forum. Is there not a lot of popularity with this series? Makes me wonder if they will be phased out. They seem kick *** but are they just not selling?

Should I consider a DW Performance kit instead? Thoughts?

Divine Sentiment
12-02-2017, 09:14 AM
...but am a little alarmed at how little activity there is on the Reference Pure forum. Is there not a lot of popularity with this series? Makes me wonder if they will be phased out. They seem kick *** but are they just not selling?

Should I consider a DW Performance kit instead? Thoughts?

They are very popular. The problem is this forum isn't popular anymore. No one cares about it anymore. Also drummers and music is dying since electronic music and Justin beiber has taken over what music we have left. Drummers and good music are circling the drain. Go get a pure. It will make you very happy. Anything pearl makes is a perfect work of art. And if something is wrong they will make it right!

notoriousRJD
12-02-2017, 09:30 AM
Haha, you should say how you really feel. Honestly, these things look and sound gorgeous. It's funny, my old gigging kits was Pearl but for some reason they seemed to fall out of favour...maybe because they are so ubiquitous. However, everytime I go into my local drum shop, I get pulled into the Pearl section by how gorgeous these drums look.

I've been looking at everything in considering a new kit and just kept glancing at the Pearls. However, I'm feeling very much like I am going to get one of these well considered instruments.

notoriousRJD
12-02-2017, 09:34 AM
While I am on the topic...what are the best tom holders in Pearls arsenal that I would use for this kit?

Drumming-4-Life
12-02-2017, 10:45 AM
While I am on the topic...what are the best tom holders in Pearls arsenal that I would use for this kit?

While "best tom holders" is a touchy subject for some members on this forum (because some people are tired of Pearl's tom arms) they offer a 1030 series in either long (https://www.interstatemusic.com/879588-Pearl-TH1030I-Tom-Holder-w-New-Gyro-Lock-Tilter-TH1030I.aspx) or short (https://www.interstatemusic.com/879589-Pearl-TH1030S-Tom-Holder-w-New-Gyro-Lock-Tilter-TH1030S.aspx)... they'll run you $75 a pop.

As far as tom mounts, the Optimount (https://www.interstatemusic.com/103127-Pearl-OPTA0910C-Aluminum-Chrome-OptiMount-for-Drums-9-10-Deep-OPTA0910C.aspx) continues to be Pearl's flagship offering, but that will come with whatever Reference drum you buy.

notoriousRJD
12-02-2017, 12:40 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help!

Eric
12-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Always nice to play a kit first but the pures are great drums and should be quite versatile.

Furious Styles
12-03-2017, 08:03 AM
Timmy?

redma61
12-03-2017, 07:25 PM
I have had my reference pure kit now for a couple of years and more importantly have been regularly tearing down and setting up the kit once a week for recording.
I have used the kit for many different types of music and recordings and for me the kit does what i want it to do when i want and how i want, every time.
I am extremely particular about tuning and overtones so with evans G2s on the toms i have got the no weird overtones or stray notes from either heads.
As far as the hardware i mount my 10" and 12" as close as possible to the kick mounted on cymbal stands, given about an inch or so the toms have never touched the kick. All of the hardware has tightened and loosen up without any hassle (cant say that about the in-studio sakae hardware)
As fare a popularity i think if you look around a little you maybe surprised at how many reference pure artist you'll find out there.

richie rich
12-03-2017, 09:15 PM
They are very popular. The problem is this forum isn't popular anymore. No one cares about it anymore. Also drummers and music is dying since electronic music and Justin beiber has taken over what music we have left. Drummers and good music are circling the drain. Go get a pure. It will make you very happy. Anything pearl makes is a perfect work of art. And if something is wrong they will make it right!

A pure is an UPPER End Kit they sound great Go get one. it is a flagship production idea in terms of a drum set. The Forum is not as popular but it is still active and strong . Pearl probably reaches a bigger audience on Twitter but the real Gems of support is on this forum

MusicMan
12-04-2017, 05:31 AM
I had a Reference Pure kit before Masterworks and was very happy with it (especially the fact that all of the elements of the drums were lighter).

My Masterworks kits are all now done in Reference Pure specs too.

MM :)

notoriousRJD
12-04-2017, 05:48 AM
Glad to see the positive feedback. Best I can tell from examining and sampling these kits is that they are quality all-around and an interesting approach in terms of materials. I was just a little surprised by the lack of "chat" here on the forum about them compared to other series but being that they aren't an inexpensive choice I guess they aren't as common as some of Pearl's other offerings.

MusicMan
12-04-2017, 06:17 AM
Glad to see the positive feedback. Best I can tell from examining and sampling these kits is that they are quality all-around and an interesting approach in terms of materials. I was just a little surprised by the lack of "chat" here on the forum about them compared to other series but being that they aren't an inexpensive choice I guess they aren't as common as some of Pearl's other offerings.

As higher end kits, they aren't as common and most of the retailers can't afford to keep them on the floor, so people don't have as much experience with them.

One of the great things about the release of the RFP kits is the SL- hardware that comes with them (which is modular). I've done a lot of custom work with my MW kits because of the flexibility of the RFP hardware.

MM :)

AL PERCIVAL
12-04-2017, 09:14 AM
We sell quite a few reference and reference pure kits.

We also sell them under our Music City Custom Series - made to order, CNC machine-drilled and hand assembled at our Pearl HQ in Nashville TN - - - (Both Reference / Reference pure and MRV Masters Maple Reserve 4-ply 100% maple with re-rings) if you want them in-stock ready to ship (wrapped) vs special ordered lacquered.

Tommy_D
12-04-2017, 09:38 AM
I picked up a RFP a couple months ago. It's a nice kit. Its the only kit I own that actually sounds good with coated G2's on it. I think the varying wood combinations along with the sharp edges on the small toms and the fat round-overs on the floors make for a very nice balance of singing toms with thunderous floor toms.

Build quality is very nice. The finished interiors are a nice touch, though I wish they would have finished the edges as well. Tuning the rack toms is a bit tough because the optimounts have such a tight grip on the tension rods that you cant get the head seated and hand tightened first. It just takes a little bit more time to get the tension equal. Floor toms and bass tune up real easy. Overall, build quality is on par with other high end kits (DW Collectors, Yamaha Recording Custom, etc).

I have the 1030 tom arms and they are cool, but they are really expensive. I also wish the memory locks would fit in to the Optimount housing after you have tightened the mount to the pipe, but alas they don't. So you get to play a little game of "get the tom in place, hold it there, slide the memory lock in position, tighten it down, then tighten the optimount, check to make sure its still good, and repeat the process if more adjustments are required." Its little things like this that can be annoying. Once its all in place things are fine, but because the tom arm's movement is independent of the tom's rotation on the arm, you need to have everything loose to get full adjustment of the tom's position. This is just a comment on Pearl's tom mounting system and not a RFP specific comment.

EDIT: If I had a choice on a wrapped finish, I would try to get the Ice Blue Oyster finish. Such a pretty color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3TBBXpKeU&ab_channel=AndertonsMusicCo.

notoriousRJD
12-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Well, I am lucky enough to have a great drum shop very close to me so I have had a chance to see all of these up close and right next to every other brand. The quality of detail on these are fantastic.

notoriousRJD
12-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Funny, I just watched that Anderton's video last night and that is a pretty killer finish.

Drumming-4-Life
12-04-2017, 10:51 AM
I picked up a RFP a couple months ago. It's a nice kit. Its the only kit I own that actually sounds good with coated G2's on it. I think the varying wood combinations along with the sharp edges on the small toms and the fat round-overs on the floors make for a very nice balance of singing toms with thunderous floor toms.

Build quality is very nice. The finished interiors are a nice touch, though I wish they would have finished the edges as well. Tuning the rack toms is a bit tough because the optimounts have such a tight grip on the tension rods that you cant get the head seated and hand tightened first. It just takes a little bit more time to get the tension equal. Floor toms and bass tune up real easy. Overall, build quality is on par with other high end kits (DW Collectors, Yamaha Recording Custom, etc).

I have the 1030 tom arms and they are cool, but they are really expensive. I also wish the memory locks would fit in to the Optimount housing after you have tightened the mount to the pipe, but alas they don't. So you get to play a little game of "get the tom in place, hold it there, slide the memory lock in position, tighten it down, then tighten the optimount, check to make sure its still good, and repeat the process if more adjustments are required." Its little things like this that can be annoying. Once its all in place things are fine, but because the tom arm's movement is independent of the tom's rotation on the arm, you need to have everything loose to get full adjustment of the tom's position. This is just a comment on Pearl's tom mounting system and not a RFP specific comment.

EDIT: If I had a choice on a wrapped finish, I would try to get the Ice Blue Oyster finish. Such a pretty color:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3TBBXpKeU&ab_channel=AndertonsMusicCo.

Read this article, by the legend himself. You can adjust the Optimounts to maximize resonance.

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?150059-Head-options-and-tuning-techniques-by-Gene-Okamoto

Well, I am lucky enough to have a great drum shop very close to me so I have had a chance to see all of these up close and right next to every other brand. The quality of detail on these are fantastic.

What were some of the other brands you got to play?

notoriousRJD
12-04-2017, 11:21 AM
"Play" is probably overstating it...what I like to do is at least compare a single tom (in my case I am partial to 10" toms). So I sampled the 10" tom of Pearl (both Reference and Masters), DW (Performance and Collectors), Sonor, Ludwig (Classic and Keystone X), Yamaha and Gretsch. All slight variations but all good. However, like I said in one of the initial posts, something about the look of the Pearl kits kept drawing me in. I had also been at a clinic at this same drum shop a few weeks back and me and another person waiting for the clinic to start struck up a conversation about how nice the Pearl finishes were and how underrated we thought the Pearl Sensitone snares were (I, for one LOVE, my bronze sensitone).

Anyway, I have been really drawn towards these Pearl kits and love that I am coming somewhat full circle as my first kit was Pearl (I still have it). More recently I have been playing a Natal Ash kit, 1up 2 down.

Drumming-4-Life
12-04-2017, 12:20 PM
"Play" is probably overstating it...what I like to do is at least compare a single tom (in my case I am partial to 10" toms). So I sampled the 10" tom of Pearl (both Reference and Masters), DW (Performance and Collectors), Sonor, Ludwig (Classic and Keystone X), Yamaha and Gretsch. All slight variations but all good. However, like I said in one of the initial posts, something about the look of the Pearl kits kept drawing me in. I had also been at a clinic at this same drum shop a few weeks back and me and another person waiting for the clinic to start struck up a conversation about how nice the Pearl finishes were and how underrated we thought the Pearl Sensitone snares were (I, for one LOVE, my bronze sensitone).

Anyway, I have been really drawn towards these Pearl kits and love that I am coming somewhat full circle as my first kit was Pearl (I still have it). More recently I have been playing a Natal Ash kit, 1up 2 down.

No Tama kits at your drum shop? Which line of Sonor did you check out?

Tommy_D
12-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Read this article, by the legend himself. You can adjust the Optimounts to maximize resonance.

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?150059-Head-options-and-tuning-techniques-by-Gene-Okamoto

Yeah, I checked that one out when I stripped the shells , cleaned/polished them all and put them back together. I don't think I have any resonance issues with them set up as described in the other thread, but I still need to do some final tuning on the drums and that may require some tweaking. My Recording Customs were like that. Tune them close, put them on the mount, then final tune them to get the resonance to come back.

notoriousRJD
12-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Actually, they do have Tama.....and the Star kits are gorgeous and pricey. For Sonor it was ProLite and Vintage. I have a ProLite snare and love it but heard they may be phasing that line out.

Drumming-4-Life
12-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Actually, they do have Tama.....and the Star kits are gorgeous and pricey. For Sonor it was ProLite and Vintage. I have a ProLite snare and love it but heard they may be phasing that line out.

I don't care for the Star kits, too rich for my blood. The Starclassic Maple and Bubinga, now that's a different story. They are worth a closer look. I really enjoy mine.

Yodelling_Sheep
12-05-2017, 10:59 AM
Love my Ref Pure kit, can't recommend it highly enough. Optimounts are great and come as standard with them. It'll definitely be worth investigating different head options to find exactly the sound you want, but overall these drums just have the most wonderful tone. I'm not a fan of DW and I've played a few. Would take Sonor over them any day...