PDA

View Full Version : My new (custom) MRV in Red Sparkle!

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 08:54 AM
I wanted to share my new MRV drums with everyone. Pearl was kind enough to allow me a special order of #163 Red Sparkle on my order. I finally received them this past week. I also ordered a matching 12x7 snare, and I have a red sparkle/carbon fiber 20 ply 13x7 Masterworks snare still coming. Not pictured is the 18x16 floor tom, that was delayed some, but it is coming.

Specs are:

22x18 (2)
18x16 (on order still)
16x16
13x9
12x8
10x7
12x7 Soprano Snare

Paiste 2002 cymbals

Trick pedals
PDP/Gibraltar Rack
Pearl tom holders/boom arms
Tama throne

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 08:55 AM
More all set up

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 08:56 AM
Last one for now! Enjoy!

Drumming-4-Life
09-25-2017, 09:17 AM
I bet the Fat-Tone hoops really help the toms sing. What hoops did they put on the matching maple snare? Superhoop or 1.6? The rack looks solid too!

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 09:38 AM
The Soprano snare has the nice superhoops. I would have loved Mastercast hoops. My MW 13x7 is an 8 lug with the new Mastercast 8 lug 13" hoops though! I was shocked when Tom told me they make them now! That will sound amazing! This 12x7 snare is so cool. It pops like nothing I have played before. I love it! I will keep it on the left side when the MW snare arrives though.

Edit: Maybe they are not superhoops? They feel thick to me! I don't see the engraving though?

Drumming-4-Life
09-25-2017, 09:45 AM
The Soprano snare has the nice superhoops. I would have loved Mastercast hoops. My MW 13x7 is an 8 lug with the new Mastercast 8 lug 13" hoops though! I was shocked when Tom told me they make them now! That will sound amazing! This 12x7 snare is so cool. It pops like nothing I have played before. I love it! I will keep it on the left side when the MW snare arrives though.

Edit: Maybe they are not superhoops? They feel thick to me! I don't see the engraving though?

That makes me want to redo my Omar Hakim snare with the new Mastercast hoops, tube lugs, and the new click-loc strainer, but the cost is prohibitive for that kind of make over.

Mike Foreman
09-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Your kit looks awesome. Congratulations on getting it in & hopefully the 18" floor comes soon. My favorite part of it all are the fully lacquered kick hoops. Those look really sharp.

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 10:45 AM
I agree, I don't like half finished hoops. This kit is basically a MW IMO. Full finish, just amazing hardware and the sound is out of this world. I love the bass drums the most. They are very responsive and sound very warm/deep. The toms/snare need Aquarian heads next. Some Performance 2s I think on the toms.

AL PERCIVAL
09-25-2017, 10:50 AM
The finish turned out much more "cherry" that I thought it would - looks great!!!

Jutt8
09-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Ryan,

That kit is smokin' dude and I love the tom sizes. 10, 12, 13 across the front always sounds great! Congratulations on another amazing Masters kit!!!

Justin

RYAN LOWE
09-25-2017, 01:20 PM
I love the tom sizes as well. Lucky enough, Pearl had the 10x7 and 12x8 in a shell pack, which saved me from ordering each drum individually. I would have liked to have went with shorter (depth) floors, but that wasn't possible in MRV. I love 16x13 and 18x14 floors like I had on my last MW.

93civEJ1
09-25-2017, 01:27 PM
gorgeous!... Drool!

Eric
09-26-2017, 05:32 PM
Awesome. Pearl Masters and Paiste 2oo2's = One superb setup. Very happy for you Ryan. Enjoy.

MattKeaton
09-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Great set. I'm sure you won't have any disappointment about the FT sounds.

Do you think that the audio in the clip on the Pearl USA site is a good indication of the sound of the toms? I feel like there should be a ban on coated heads in promo or review clips :p

RYAN LOWE
09-27-2017, 07:51 AM
Great set. I'm sure you won't have any disappointment about the FT sounds.

Do you think that the audio in the clip on the Pearl USA site is a good indication of the sound of the toms? I feel like there should be a ban on coated heads in promo or review clips :p

I have listened to that once, but I will go check again to be sure. I can say I am very happy with the sound of every drum. I finally got them tuned very well yesterday and I now love the single clear tom heads on these warm drums. Still, I cannot say enough about the bass drums. I was shocked the 4 ply kicks sounded so nice! They sound like I am running mics or triggers almost! Without running anything!

bradland
09-27-2017, 08:13 AM
Very nice kit! Excited to see the full kit once you get the tom and snare.

RYAN LOWE
09-27-2017, 08:35 AM
Very nice kit! Excited to see the full kit once you get the tom and snare.

Your going to love my MW snare. It is also red sparkle, with the haloflakes, only in a burst. Then in the center its a carbon fiber stripe (since the snare is 20 ply carbon fiber), with the inner carbon ply. Nickel hardware and black chrome air vents centered in the carbon fiber stripe all around (about 7 total air vents). It should be sick!

Jutt8
09-27-2017, 10:14 AM
I have listened to that once, but I will go check again to be sure. I can say I am very happy with the sound of every drum. I finally got them tuned very well yesterday and I now love the single clear tom heads on these warm drums. Still, I cannot say enough about the bass drums. I was shocked the 4 ply kicks sounded so nice! They sound like I am running mics or triggers almost! Without running anything!

I totally agree about the kick drum. I have an MBX (4 ply birch with rings that is like your MRV, but birch). The kick absolutely sounds amazing every time in every room. It has this body that is indescribable. I know what you are talking about 100%.

AL PERCIVAL
10-18-2017, 04:07 PM
A.....PSST......... anyone home????? someone's MRV1816F/C163 floor tom shipped today.......

just saying.... :D

RYAN LOWE
10-19-2017, 08:03 AM
A.....PSST......... anyone home????? someone's MRV1816F/C163 floor tom shipped today.......

just saying.... :D

Oh no!!!!! Do you know when it is arriving? I am moving this weekend. Monday I wont be at my address (will be moving that day). Is it going to Pinnacle Drive or Phoenix Lane? Phoenix Lane is my new address if you did not see the email from Dana?

AL PERCIVAL
10-19-2017, 08:33 AM
Oh no!!!!! Do you know when it is arriving? I am moving this weekend. Monday I wont be at my address (will be moving that day). Is it going to Pinnacle Drive or Phoenix Lane? Phoenix Lane is my new address if you did not see the email from Dana?

Your new address delivery looks to be Monday.

Drumming-4-Life
10-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Your new address delivery looks to be Monday.

... and coming from Pearl, it's going to be adult signature required. UGH!

nova
10-21-2017, 03:56 PM
There's something I really Love about your kit Ryan! Oh; it's Everything!

Drumming-4-Life
10-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Ryan, did you get your extra floor tom yet?

AL PERCIVAL
10-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Ryan, did you get your extra floor tom yet?

signature required :D
looks like it is scheduled for delivery today.

Drumming-4-Life
10-25-2017, 09:28 AM
signature required :D
looks like it is scheduled for delivery today.

That was so annoying... but wait... that's going to happen to me again Al... did you see what I ordered?

AL PERCIVAL
10-25-2017, 09:50 AM
That was so annoying... but wait... that's going to happen to me again Al... did you see what I ordered?

No? What???

Drumming-4-Life
10-25-2017, 09:52 AM
No? What???

A few snare drums that I will be harvesting the hardware, then reselling the drums with black hardware.

HBG1989
10-25-2017, 10:39 AM
A few snare drums that I will be harvesting the hardware, then reselling the drums with black hardware.

Hmmmm what finish are on these drums you'll be reselling with black hardware?

RYAN LOWE
10-25-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes! I finally received it! Thank the drum gods! This 18" floor sounds amazing! No matter how it's tuned, so warm!

Kit is all set up in my new house!

RYAN LOWE
10-25-2017, 12:32 PM
More pictures

AL PERCIVAL
10-25-2017, 01:14 PM
^ Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jutt8
10-25-2017, 01:48 PM
That kit has got to sound HUGE with all those great sizes Ryan. Looks marvelous. I'm loving the 10, 12, 13 up again. It all makes sense why those early 90's shell packs mostly came as 12, 13, 16, 22 kick. Sounds great!!

RYAN LOWE
10-26-2017, 07:36 AM
I just love that 13" tom so much. It has been forever since I owned one. I cannot ever play 8, 10, 12 up again. The 8 is just not enough. However, because I love big kits, I am looking to maybe add the 8x7" tom for sh^ts and giggles.

Drumming-4-Life
10-27-2017, 08:03 AM
I just love that 13" tom so much. It has been forever since I owned one. I cannot ever play 8, 10, 12 up again. The 8 is just not enough. However, because I love big kits, I am looking to maybe add the 8x7" tom for sh^ts and giggles.

Why not add a floor tom or gong drum to your left side. I love having a tom on my left.

Drumming-4-Life
10-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Hmmmm what finish are on these drums you'll be reselling with black hardware?

I have 5 of them up on eBay... the link is in my signature.

Drumming-4-Life
10-27-2017, 08:07 AM
I have 5 of them up on eBay... the link is in my signature.

Ryan your kit looks great! What kind of rack is that? I'm guessing DW or PDP? Also, it must be the photos, but your two larger rack toms look like they are exactly the same size. but they are 12/13 right?

Stuffed Chimp
10-29-2017, 04:46 AM
Great looking setup. What hihat stand is that?

RYAN LOWE
10-30-2017, 02:28 PM
Ryan your kit looks great! What kind of rack is that? I'm guessing DW or PDP? Also, it must be the photos, but your two larger rack toms look like they are exactly the same size. but they are 12/13 right?

The rack is a mix of Gibraltar and PDP/DW lol. I like the DW/PDP clamps in satin, so I did paint a few Gibraltar clamps to match. I like the rack, but if I could, I would sell it and get another curved ICON again. I love that rack the most. Honestly at this point I want stands again really. Easier to adjust my cymbals.

Great looking setup. What hihat stand is that?

That is the liquid Gibraltar (legless) hi hat stand. I like it! Sturdy and just fits perfect with double bass!

Eric
10-30-2017, 06:10 PM
Sweet rig Ryan.

Stuffed Chimp
10-31-2017, 05:27 AM
The rack is a mix of Gibraltar and PDP/DW lol. I like the DW/PDP clamps in satin, so I did paint a few Gibraltar clamps to match. I like the rack, but if I could, I would sell it and get another curved ICON again. I love that rack the most. Honestly at this point I want stands again really. Easier to adjust my cymbals. That is the liquid Gibraltar (legless) hi hat stand. I like it! Sturdy and just fits perfect with double bass!

Thanks. I'm planning on rocking a double bass setup soon and have been researching hihat options. That one looks like a really neat solution.

Drumming-4-Life
11-01-2017, 08:49 AM
The rack is a mix of Gibraltar and PDP/DW lol. I like the DW/PDP clamps in satin, so I did paint a few Gibraltar clamps to match. I like the rack, but if I could, I would sell it and get another curved ICON again. I love that rack the most. Honestly at this point I want stands again really. Easier to adjust my cymbals.

The rack looks great. Stands are definitely easier. Your drums look great with either. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to customize my Tama rack. The parts are all different.

bradland
12-07-2017, 07:41 AM
Ryan, see you listed a kick, the 13x9" rack, and the 18x16" floor tom on eBay. I wish I had some extra cash, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I would strongly consider selling my kit to buy your drums. I love red sparkle obviously, and that 4 ply maple with the MW hardware sure does look nice. I'm not in love with those sizes so that is my only hang-up.

Drumming-4-Life
12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm puzzled. Ryan, why are you selling your Masters drums already? Did you order something else? Also Brad, why would you sell your Masterworks to by Masters?

bradland
12-07-2017, 09:45 AM
I'm puzzled. Ryan, why are you selling your Masters drums already? Did you order something else? Also Brad, why would you sell your Masterworks to by Masters?

Multiple reasons I'd make that kind of decision.

It's hard to pass up a good deal on great sounding drums with MW hardware.
If I sold my kit I'd have extra cash I could use.
Those maple kits sound great.
I haven't been playing much lately.
I really love my Masterworks, sometimes it is just difficult to justify keeping it when I could sell it and have some extra money.
Kid$$$$$$$
I want to teach my kids how to play but not on a Masterworks kit and I don't have money to buy another kit, practice cymbals, pedal, etc.

I probably won't sell my kit, but it's been a thought in my mind recently.

sticks4drums
12-07-2017, 09:48 AM

I really love my Masterworks, sometimes it is just difficult to justify keeping it when I could sell it and have some extra money.
Kid$$$$$$$
I want to teach my kids how to play but not on a Masterworks kit and I don't have money to buy another kit, practice cymbals, pedal, etc.

Nice to see you thinking wisely, especially now that you have children to think about. Now that both my kids are in college, I have really grown up with my spending.

Drumming-4-Life
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Kid$$$$$$$

I understand now. Thanks for explaining!

K3ith R
03-28-2018, 09:51 PM
Looks amazing!!!!