PDA

View Full Version : Ordered MRV in #201 Matte Walnut

medium
03-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Hello all in PDF land,

I've been a long-time reader of this forum and I was always impressed by how close-knit this community is and how knowledgeable the members are. Regular posts from folks like Al Percival and Derek Wolfford send a great message about how Pearl cares about its customers. I have always meant to get around to joining the forum and participating in such a great community, and now I have the perfect excuse:

I've played an Export for the last 10 years and I have nothing but good things to say about these drums. I have outfitted them with Optimounts and Superhoops and they punch way above their weight, delivering a nice mix of tonality and toughness that completely belie the very reasonable investment it took to get them. However, I have always wanted the classic Pearl thin Maple shell. I'm pleased to say that after a long time I was in a position to reward myself and I recently placed an order for a Masters Maple Reserve kit.

As the title says, it's in #201 Matte Walnut. Sizes are:

10 x 7 RT
12 x 8 RT
14 x 14 FT
16 x 14 FT
20 x 16 BD

I placed my order with Just Drums, a wonderful shop in Toronto, Ontario, and was quoted a five month delivery schedule, which puts it in mid-August. Needless to say, I'm very excited to own a Masters kit!

Master88
03-31-2017, 02:25 PM
You just ordered my dream kit! I've been thinking of selling off my 8 piece MCX kit and placing an order for an MRV kit but I just can't seem to let this masters kit go, it sounds so good. Welcome to PDF and congrats on your new kit coming.. They're the best sounding shells Pearl ever made in my opinion!

Jutt8
03-31-2017, 02:44 PM
Great decision and you will NOT be disappointed. Killer shells and finish!

medium
03-31-2017, 02:59 PM
You just ordered my dream kit! I've been thinking of selling off my 8 piece MCX kit and placing an order for an MRV kit but I just can't seem to let this masters kit go, it sounds so good. Welcome to PDF and congrats on your new kit coming.. They're the best sounding shells Pearl ever made in my opinion!

Thanks Master! This has also been my dream kit for many years.

medium
03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Great decision and you will NOT be disappointed. Killer shells and finish!

Thanks Jutt. The shells are a timeless recipe so I wanted a timeless finish to go along with it. Matte Walnut definitely qualifies in my book.

Drumming-4-Life
03-31-2017, 03:53 PM
This is going to be a beautiful kit... perfect sizes. I hope you enjoy it!

rollracer
03-31-2017, 10:01 PM
well done. you'll not regret your purchase . it's safe to say that pearl provides the best customer service . matte walnut....can't wait to see this kit. pics asap. i was going to say'''now the wait begins'''...but the delivery time frames have been lowered drastically at pearl.

Tasty808
04-01-2017, 04:05 AM
Welcome to the forum Dude. Great sizes, color, and shell choices. I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see pics, we love those around here. As if you didn't notice, lol.

Maybe you can post a few pics of your exports to hold us over? Will you be setting them up in the same manner? Are you getting new hardware or cymbals to go along with your kit?

medium
04-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Dude. Great sizes, color, and shell choices. I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see pics, we love those around here. As if you didn't notice, lol.

Maybe you can post a few pics of your exports to hold us over? Will you be setting them up in the same manner? Are you getting new hardware or cymbals to go along with your kit?

Thanks for the welcome! I have only an iPhone camera but I'm sure I could wrangle a few pics. Right now I'm playing the exports 2 up 1 down, with the 13 not currently in use. They see pretty regular use outside the home so they're packed up for a show tonight. As for cymbals/hardware, I've collected enough to outfit two kits, so I have one set of hardware packed up in a case and always ready to go. Same thing with cymbals.

The only need that might exist is a second ride -- currently I have an A series Sweet Ride that does double duty. I have my eye on the Sabian Artisan 22 Medium ride to go with my Artisan hats, but I want to play one in person before committing and no place near me has one.

Jutt8
04-03-2017, 07:34 AM
A little matte walnut teaser on a RFP : )

therocker
04-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Congrats and welcome to the forum. Your gonna love those floor toms. Great choice on the finish. A timeless classic is right. But seriously pics of the Exports would be greatly appreciated! :) all my pics come from a cell phone.

H.T.E.B
01-21-2018, 02:42 PM
Congrats !! Post pics :)

Kiwi
01-22-2018, 01:58 AM
Yes welcome and congrats on a great purchase. Matte Walnut is a classy finish, and combined with the Masters recipe you will not be disappointed!

Jutt8
07-19-2018, 08:12 AM
Where are the pics of this kit already?

CUZNRED
08-04-2018, 10:18 PM
I cannot wait to see this kit. My all-time favorite finish

medium
08-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Hi all, sorry about the long absence. I received the kit in August 2017 and set it up promptly. Unfortunately, work and life interfered and I've had less than a tenth of the amount of time with it than what I expected. I am currently the kit percussionist for 2 concert bands plus a frequent sub for a small dixie/jazz combo, so those shows coupled with crazy work schedule meant I didn't have much time to really get to know the kit until June of this year.

I played the stock heads for a while then replaced them with coated Ambassadors over clear Ambassadors. In any configuration, with any tuning choice, they sing. These quality of these drums is undeniable and I'm extremely happy with the kit.

I have just returned from a holiday in New Brunswick, which included a stop at the Sabian factory. Naturally I left with a couple goodies as a late birthday present to myself. I'll do my very best to get some pictures tonight and get them posted ASAP

medium
08-09-2018, 04:10 PM
Sorry for the extreme delay, but here they are in their dimly-lit glory!

One note: I ordered a 20x16 BD but the factory sent 22x18 instead. Rather than wait 4+ months for the correct sized BD and in the meantime have a kit without a BD, I accepted the slightly larger dimensions and moved on. Otherwise, everything is as previously specified:

22 x 18 BD
10 x 7 RT
12 x 8 RT
14 x 14 FT
16 x 14 FT
Snare: Pearl Limited Edition 14 x 6.5 Kapur

Cymbals (L to R in driver's perspective)
14" Sabian Artisan hats
16" Sabian AAX Dark Crash
17" Sabian HH Extra-Thin Crash
8" Sabian AA Splash
21" Sabian HH Vintage Ride
7" Sabian HHX Evolution Splash
16" Sabian AA Thin Crash

Here be pictures:

medium
08-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Drumming-4-Life
08-09-2018, 04:20 PM

That is one of Pearl's nicest stock finishes I've ever seen. Nice choice! Sorry about the kick, I would've loved the 20x16. But the kit looks like it's set up very comfy for you. Congratulations!

TMdrums
08-09-2018, 07:09 PM
Great looking kit medium! Maybe you can work out a deal and keep the 22 " kick until they send you a 20"? After all, it was there screw up and you are the customer! Regardless, nice kit and love that finish!

MattKeaton
08-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Wow. I really like this.
Did you score a discount at all? You should have!!??

Drumming-4-Life
08-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Great looking kit medium! Maybe you can work out a deal and keep the 22 " kick until they send you a 20"? After all, it was there screw up and you are the customer! Regardless, nice kit and love that finish!

I was offered a similar accommodation when a mistake was made.

Bodgit
08-10-2018, 04:02 AM
Nice kit, I have a 20" and would be interested in your experiences with the 22"...do you actually prefer it? Would you rather have the 20", if so why?

medium
08-10-2018, 07:05 AM
Thanks D4L. I absolutely love the finish. Completely timeless. And it is definitely a comfy setup. I like having cymbals spaced out a little, but I've been contemplating moving things around a bit to fit in another crash (likely my HHX X-treme).

medium
08-10-2018, 07:07 AM
Thanks! I was originally going to have them re-do but I took it home and played it for a week and really loved the sound of the 22. It doesn't have as much of a sharply articulated punch as a smaller drum would, but its tone is absolutely beautiful so I'm happy.

medium
08-10-2018, 07:12 AM
Wow. I really like this.
Did you score a discount at all? You should have!!??

Thanks Matt. Better lighting would translate to some nicer pictures. They don't leave home too often but maybe next time I'm in a nicely lit venue I will get a few pictures there.

No discount, likely because I didn't push hard enough. Honestly, I got the BD home, set it up and played and was completely satisfied, so it really didn't matter that much to me. I mainly ordered the 20" diameter to assist with tom configuration, but it has turned out to be a non-issue.

Eric
08-13-2018, 04:59 PM
Beautiful kit. Any pictures from your Sabian tour ?

Kiwi
08-14-2018, 02:39 AM
Yes sweet kit, and great cymbals to complete the set!

medium
08-14-2018, 02:09 PM
Beautiful kit. Any pictures from your Sabian tour ?

Thank you Eric. No pictures whatsoever as I was on an electronics de-tox for my vacation. I work in telecommunications and I have to have my phone with me every waking hour except for vacation time, so I intentionally left all electronics behind most days on my vacation.

The factory itself is spread over 2 buildings, with initial casting and oven stuff happening in one building, and tempering, lathing, hammering, and buffing happening in another. The Vault is incredible, as are the people who work in it. I tried 10+ rides and 15+ crashes over the course of an hour and the guy who helped me was fantastic. Everyone took time to chat a bit about what they were doing as the tour went through. Highly recommend if you find yourself in New Brunswick.

medium
08-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Yes sweet kit, and great cymbals to complete the set!

Thanks Kiwi. I've been slowly phasing out my brighter Sabians in favour of darker, thinner stuff with more hand hammering as my tastes change. I got the two HHs during my factory trip, and they're phenomenal. My experience with Sabian's hhx and Artisan lines gave me a good baseline of what to expect, but the HHs (in particular the Vintage Ride that I got) blew me away.

Kiwi
08-15-2018, 03:52 AM
Thanks Kiwi. I've been slowly phasing out my brighter Sabians in favour of darker, thinner stuff with more hand hammering as my tastes change. I got the two HHs during my factory trip, and they're phenomenal. My experience with Sabian's hhx and Artisan lines gave me a good baseline of what to expect, but the HHs (in particular the Vintage Ride that I got) blew me away.

Good tastes.. though I have a mix of ranges I have grown fonder of HHX and I like the Artisan sound though I don't own any. Still maturing into more HH.. :o

medium
08-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Good tastes.. though I have a mix of ranges I have grown fonder of HHX and I like the Artisan sound though I don't own any. Still maturing into more HH.. :o

My HHX experience is still relatively limited (only a 7" Evo Splash and 17" X-treme crash) but the Artisan hats I have are simply the best set of hats I have ever played or heard. I played the Artisan rides in the Vault (light 20/22, medium 20/22) but they were washier than the HH Vintage, and I was going for something with slightly less wash that could speak a bit better through a larger ensemble without micing.

CUZNRED
08-15-2018, 09:37 AM

I love this kit! My favorite finish of all time. I wish this was available in the MCT line

Drumming-4-Life
08-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks D4L. I absolutely love the finish. Completely timeless. And it is definitely a comfy setup. I like having cymbals spaced out a little, but I've been contemplating moving things around a bit to fit in another crash (likely my HHX X-treme).

I don't closely follow Pearl products anymore, so how did you get this finish? I don't see it as an option on the MRV line-up; was is a special request or limited edition?

I love this kit! My favorite finish of all time. I wish this was available in the MCT line

MRV drums cost almost twice as much as MCT; they need to have some distinctions between the two lines to justify the difference in cost. Both lines start off with similar quality woods, but the MRV gets upgraded hardware, and much more effort in sanding and finishing of the shells.

medium
08-20-2018, 08:08 AM
[QUOTE=Drumming-4-Life;1854435693]I don't closely follow Pearl products anymore, so how did you get this finish? I don't see it as an option on the MRV line-up; was is a special request or limited edition?

This was done as a special order. When MRV was first released, Al Percival confirmed that all previous Masters Premium finishes would be available, and since MPL was indeed available with Matte Walnut at one time, I requested it and the request was granted! It was between Matte Walnut and Blue Ocean Sparkle. As much as I like Blue Ocean Sparkle, I'm so glad I went with Matte Walnut. Even in my dimly lit basement, the depth on the finish is phenomenal.

Drumming-4-Life
08-20-2018, 08:49 AM
This was done as a special order. When MRV was first released, Al Percival confirmed that all previous Masters Premium finishes would be available, and since MPL was indeed available with Matte Walnut at one time, I requested it and the request was granted! It was between Matte Walnut and Blue Ocean Sparkle. As much as I like Blue Ocean Sparkle, I'm so glad I went with Matte Walnut. Even in my dimly lit basement, the depth on the finish is phenomenal.

Very nice... yes the Matte Walnut is a beautiful finish. Al is the best. I'm sure they'd let you play the current bass drum while the size you originally ordered is being made. Have you talked to Al about that? Or are you liking the 22" kick?

medium
08-20-2018, 10:56 AM
Very nice... yes the Matte Walnut is a beautiful finish. Al is the best. I'm sure they'd let you play the current bass drum while the size you originally ordered is being made. Have you talked to Al about that? Or are you liking the 22" kick?

I haven't brought it up, mostly because I'm really liking the 22" kick. My main reason for ordering the 20" was tom mounting height, and it hasn't been an issue at all, so I'm happy as is. They got the tom sizes right and that's my main concern, plus the finish on all the drums arrived in perfect condition.

Drumming-4-Life
08-20-2018, 01:33 PM
I haven't brought it up, mostly because I'm really liking the 22" kick. My main reason for ordering the 20" was tom mounting height, and it hasn't been an issue at all, so I'm happy as is. They got the tom sizes right and that's my main concern, plus the finish on all the drums arrived in perfect condition.

From your photos, it doesn't look like the additional height of the kick drum is interfering with you setting up the toms nicely, UNLESS you wanted to arrange your toms in a similar way, over top of your kick. I bet the kick sounds great, and congratulations on getting such a nice kit.

Jutt8
10-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Love the kit! Congrats and thank you for sharing the pics!

CUZNRED
10-22-2018, 11:23 AM

How did you tune your kick drum and what heads are you running?

beyondbetrayal
11-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Drool.. That is a beauty

CUZNRED
12-06-2019, 09:58 AM

Don't let that masters kit go. I let 2 of my masters mct go for a DW Collectors Birch kit, and I have nothing but regret over the deal. Thank God I kept my matte black masters complete kit as they sound killer and play way above their price tag. I think the Pearl Masters Kits are the best build drum sets out there today. I just wish they kept more stock in the US to cut down the lead time.

HPD260
12-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Don't let that masters kit go. I let 2 of my masters mct go for a DW Collectors Birch kit, and I have nothing but regret over the deal. Thank God I kept my matte black masters complete kit as they sound killer and play way above their price tag. I think the Pearl Masters Kits are the best build drum sets out there today. I just wish they kept more stock in the US to cut down the lead time.

I don't understand it man........you had three of the same kit, then traded two for a completely different kit. Why the regret? Masters drums are nice, but I don't think they're nice enough to warrant having three kits of the same series.

CUZNRED
12-26-2019, 11:17 PM
I don't understand it man........you had three of the same kit, then traded two for a completely different kit. Why the regret? Masters drums are nice, but I don't think they're nice enough to warrant having three kits of the same series.

Because my masters maple complete kits sounded light years better than the DW collectors birch kit that I traded them in for. At a fraction of the cost.

HPD260
12-28-2019, 03:08 AM
Because my masters maple complete kits sounded light years better than the DW collectors birch kit that I traded them in for. At a fraction of the cost.

That's cool, but you still own one. Why have three of the same series? I'll agree that for what you spent on the DW's you could've probably had an MRV or Reference kit, but even that would make more sense than holding three MCT kits.

Drumming-4-Life
12-28-2019, 08:29 AM

How would you even know this for sure, when you never set drums up with cymbals, pedals, and a throne? If you do actually set full kits up and play, why not snap a pic the next time this happens?

CUZNRED
01-03-2020, 12:05 PM
How would you even know this for sure, when you never set drums up with cymbals, pedals, and a throne? If you do actually set full kits up and play, why not snap a pic the next time this happens?

My Masters maple complete kit is set up in my practice space with pedals/cymbals and a throne. I don't need to prove it to you with pictures,

CUZNRED
01-03-2020, 12:09 PM
That's cool, but you still own one. Why have three of the same series? I'll agree that for what you spent on the DW's you could've probably had an MRV or Reference kit, but even that would make more sense than holding three MCT kits.

Regret sucks, but I would rather have my 3 mct kits back instead of the DW. I also like the Mrv kits, but what I really want is a maple / mahogany masterworks kit in walnut lacquer. I think the masterworks would be even more than a DW, but a way better set of drums.

skeld-the-wicked
01-05-2020, 08:02 AM
The 2 complete Pearl Masters kits I own are both in excellent condition . I gig regularly and to be totally honest I would love to own a Masterworks kit but the reality is it would just sit in my drum room , my point is how much better can drums sound to justify spending that kind of money?

The MHX I bought last summer and The MMP 5 yrs ago are my all time favorite drums. Too be honest it’s not what you play it’s how you play that counts. Your right about the it’s your money thing but when you put your dissatisfaction & regret to others they might not have the same opinion.

Jutt8
01-16-2020, 07:54 AM
The 2 complete Pearl Masters kits I own are both in excellent condition . I gig regularly and to be totally honest I would love to own a Masterworks kit but the reality is it would just sit in my drum room , my point is how much better can drums sound to justify spending that kind of money?

The MHX I bought last summer and The MMP 5 yrs ago are my all time favorite drums. Too be honest itís not what you play itís how you play that counts. Your right about the itís your money thing but when you put your dissatisfaction & regret to others they might not have the same opinion.

all great points!! I agree, but I would also love to own a MW kit at the same time : ).

skeld-the-wicked
01-19-2020, 06:54 AM
Can’t argue with that Jutt8